Sunblock While On Accutane?

2 replies to this topic

#1 xAlyAlyx

xAlyAlyx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

I'm on Accutane now,currently my third month,80 mg a day.Band camp is about to start in a few weeks,that involves me going outside.I live in Texas,so it gets pretty hot & even though I am dark skinned,my skin has always(even before Accutane) been sensitive & burns/tans easily.I would like a recommendation for sunblock.Practices range from 2 hours-4 hours,so I need good protection,I will be re-applying every hour and a half.
Suggestions?

#2 SClippers

SClippers

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:34 PM

I've read the sun causes wrinkles and premature aging so yes. I am also a dark colored person.
I still have a soul

#3 greentiger87

greentiger87

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:34 AM

Yay Texas!

I've been looking into sunscreen a lot lately, so here's what I've found:

Stick with physical sunscreens, zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Great safety profile, anti-irritants, and broad spectrum protection. Depending on the formulation, they may leave a white cast (which sucks for dark skin), but the right products blend in well enough to be tolerable. Besides, I doubt you're that worried about looking hot on the field.

From the drug store:

Olay Complete Classic Gentle Formula is the one with a ringing recommendation from acne.org, and the old formulation should already be back on shelves. See Dan's blog post -> http://www.acne.org/...-on-the-latest/

Neutrogena Sensitive Skin SPF 60+ Sunblock Lotion with PureScreen is a good, safe choice, and what I used for about a year; contains both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.

Eucerin Everyday Protection Face Lotion SPF 30 contains ingredients along with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, but not the extreme offenders (oxybenzone - hormone disruptor, avobenzone - may cause acne). In addition, the presence of the physical sunscreen will likely reduce the chance of problems of free radical generation from the chemical sunscreens. Maybe. It's otherwise really well formulated, and goes on well.

In my opinion, Badger SPF 30 For Face & Body is the way to go. It does use micronized zinc (but not zinc nanoparticles). The company is open and upfront about safety concerns, and makes a great case for the safety and efficacy of the micronized zinc. Thanks to the sky high percentage and micronization, this equals a safe, effective sunblock without the normal white cast or "ghost effect." Which makes you more likely to use it tongue.gif Link below:

http://www.badgerbal...-face-body.aspx

If you really don't care about the white cast at all (and you shouldn't if you're practicing and getting dirty anyway), just buy the really cheap Walgreens brand Zinc Oxide sunscreen, or another similar generic brand. Zinc oxide or titanium oxide should be the only listed active ingredients, but most lower end sunscreens will stick with just Zinc oxide. It's cheap and effective, but people might be able to tell you're wearing sunscreen. It's what I use when I go running, because when I'm dripping with sweat I don't care too much what I look like anyway.

Edited by greentiger87, 25 July 2010 - 12:35 AM.

Morning:
-Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser, or Dan's Cleanser
-Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Liquid
-CeraVe Moisturizer + Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock Lotion (zinc oxide and titanium oxide only)

[Night (before bed):
-Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser, or Dan's Cleanser
-Dan's BP
-CeraVe Moisturizer

Occasionally:
Dan's AHA
Homemade Niacinamide Toner
Homemade TTO Spot Treatment (Aloe Vera Gel and 20% Tea Tree Oil)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users