Photo

Quitting the regime after 5 years - Caffeine culprit

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 nitemare

nitemare

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:44 AM

Well, the time has come to give up on the regime after 5 years. I definately put in my time to make it work. However, after 5 years - the same old itching, redness, dryness and flaking. It just never ended. Also used mostorizer with Joba oil. Always stuck to it and barely missed a day. But, now in my late thirties this is just not working. I never had bad acne, just wanted clear skin all over.

These are main reasons for quitting:
1) Dryness/redness
2) Whiteheads were increased in size and stayed around longer
3) Took forever to apply every morning and night
4) It was not the cure, just a prevention. Still get acne so this is not working.

So, I have been off it for a few weeks. I narrowed it down to caffeine. No more coffee. No more soda with caffeine. Well, so far so good. I hope it is the caffeine. I am looking to stop the formation and not use creams after the fact.

Thanks Dan for some good years! However, I must move onto fighting the root of the problem now.

#2 Warrior of Acne

Warrior of Acne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:40 PM

Not trying to be rude, but if the Regimen was ineffective for 5 years why did you continue to use it? I am glad although that you found cutting out caffeine helps.

#3 nitemare

nitemare

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:03 AM

I continued to use it because it was the cheapest method available. So far, switching to beer (previously drinking caffeine cocktails) and stopping coffee is making a big difference.

#4 Agent Acne

Agent Acne

"Paint Me a Wish On a Velvet Sky"

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

How long have you been without caffeine now?

When I was a teenager I had my fair share of diet Cokes. I phased out of my soda drinking habits and replaced it with a cup of coffee in the morning.
However, over the past few years that number has jumped from one to sometimes three. Subsequently, it became too much for my body (jitters, hyperactivity, etc.) and I had to stop and find a replacement. Eventually, I did and drank Xenergy drinks to get my energy high. I loved it because it made me feel better than coffee, but the caffeine content proved too much for my body to take once again. While all of this was happening, I continued to have moderate acne while on the BP regimen.

Quitting caffeine has proven to be tougher than I originally imagined. I fell off the bandwagon numerous times lasting no more than a week. I just recently started again, not drinking or taking any caffeinated product because I want to see if caffeine is a major culprit or THE culprit in me having moderate acne at this point in my life.

#5 nitemare

nitemare

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

Its only been about 2 weeks since no caffeine at all. I stopped all coffee and all soft drinks.I also quite all BP too.. So, I am getting very little acne so far. Usually I get alot more if I continued with both BP and Caffeine. I will have to give it more timet to feel confident it is working.

I dont have dryness, flaking, redness all because I stopped BP.

I already had limited my sugars (that did not work). I cut out chocolates, pizza, fried food (that did not work).

So, Im at my last option and I think I might have found it. I hope so. I love my coffee, but I will easily quite all coffee if it means no acne.

Edited by nitemare, 25 July 2010 - 03:45 PM.

#6 Kat Kerfuffle

Kat Kerfuffle

Kat

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

Never had any problems with drinks/food contributing to acne for me. I guess for some people there's a connection between what they eat or drink and what shows up on their skin, but I know acne is caused by a bacteria on the skin and that BP kills said bacteria. I drink soda all the time and constantly eat chocolate and have been clear for almost 5 years.

It sounds like you might have been using either bad products for your skin type (IE: you should have used a stronger moisturizer..perhaps one containing AHA), or you are living in an area with extremely hard water. Washing in hard water dries out our skin; and obviously the harder the water, the drier the skin. I find when using Benzoyl Peroxide, we are more prone to skin drying from even the simplest things.

#7 nitemare

nitemare

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:55 AM

I have been always using Eucerin as a mosturizer. I also have lived in four different locations in past 5 years so it can not be the water. I did a google search on BP effects and I read some things I did not like about it. The FDA changed the warning from a 1 to like a 3 because it is now being determined BP does more harm to your skin than good over a period of time. We all know BP bleaches your clothes/sheets and they say this is not good to be putting on skin. Anyways, I also did a search on caffeine and I found it does cause your Hormones to produce more acne. Also, liquids do alot more damage than foods since they are easier consumed by your body. So that would make sense that coffee and soft drinks/enegry drinks cause more damage.

#8 Corsair

Corsair

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:30 AM

I use BP only on the spot and just a little bit. The peroxide part of the name is due to Hydrogen Peroxide, a powerful free radical (or whatever the name is, pro oxidant). But it is effective.
I suggest, as you say, to attack the root of the problem. You can also use essential oils, like tea tree oil and others. I use a little, in part of my skin before moisturizing.
I also take propolis (echinacia), to improve immune system response.

#9 nitemare

nitemare

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:10 PM

So much for going without BP! I broke out big time..red marks and pimples all over. Worse Ive ever had in years. So, I decided to go back on BP as this was just ridiculous. Used it this morning and already i am clearing. So, I am back on the regime..Hahah. It will never go away. Dan's the man! Anyways, I still have not drank any caffeine. So maybe I need to do both -BP + No Caffeine.

#10 AshZ

AshZ

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:09 AM

how long did it take you to break out after quitting the regimen?
i've been off BP for 3 days, and use it as a spot treatment. my skin looks way better than when I was on it.