Helminthic therapy

4 replies to this topic

#1 Riddled

Riddled

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

I wonder how many people have heard of Helminthic therapy such as Hookworms and any possible connection and benefit with acne?

Helminthic therapy

Can hookworms protect against allergies

Gut instinct: the miracle of the parasitic hookworm

Although there is very little anout a connection with acne out there, apart from one post on these forums which no one seems to have taken seriously, i believe that acne is also an autoimmune disease and may also see positive results.

I think the main two problems are the "urgh factor" and the cost but maybe there are cheaper ways to get "contracted" as once you have them it only takes one pill to get rid of them again.

I know most people wont even consider trying it but what about the implied mechanisms and any equivalent alternatives?

There is loads about hookworms helping with allergies and inflammatory diseases on the internet but very little about them helping with acne. Of course common sense would say the reason for this is that it has already been considered and the mechanisms do not work with acne but it just might be that there is something to it.

Have a look at this which i just found:

My experiences with helminthic therapy

"One more positive change I have noticed is I no longer get acne on my back, something I thought I would grow out of after my teens. But no that persisted, but since I've been hosting my new friends my skin has been very healthy and clear. NO MORE ZITS!"

Edited by Riddled, 16 July 2010 - 07:18 PM.

#2 andersoj

andersoj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:24 PM

Do you know what kind of doctor would give this to you and how much it would cost. Also are there any side effects, ie eating for two?

#3 Riddled

Riddled

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:23 PM

To be honest i don't really know much about it apart from the little i have read. I think it is quite a left-field treatment at the moment so i very much doubt any doctors would give it to you or even agree for you to follow such a thing yourself.

I think the main side effect is anemia, but as with all parasites i'm sure there are more, i think it basically comes down to whether the positives outway the negatives.

I was hoping that maybe one of the clever people on these forums would know more or may have a look into it.

It is my opinion that acne is an immune disorder so immunotherapy maybe the root to a cure.

Helminthic Therapy Website

Have a look at the list of diseases they say will likely respond to heminthic therapy
here

Like most people on these forums i often think why it is that you get indigenous peoples with virtually no signs of acne. The most common given reasons are diet and lifestyle factors such as time spent outside[sunlight exposure], amount of exercise and stress. What if one of the reasons is that they have parasites and such and more things for their immune systems to be dealing with.

I wonder what the rates of allergies and inflammatory diseases are with the indigenous peoples who show no signs of acne?

These are just my mad ideas and trying to string things together without a proper understanding so i am quite happy to be corrected.

I think i can remember reading that the Romans may have had acne, maybe their lifestyles had also led to a reduction in parasites etc so their immune systems started to go haywire.

What if acne is an autoimmune disease/immune disorder?

#4 Riddled

Riddled

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

To quote on the articles i posted

"And their life cycle is fatally interrupted by the introduction of either shoes or plumbing."

The Romans wore sandals and had plumbing do the indigenous peoples ?

#5 bleedingrose

bleedingrose

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Curing Skin Disease by Tackling The Root Cause of The Problem Not Masking It, I Want To End Skin Related Suicide.

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

Helminths is definitely an option for Acne caused by allergy or autoimmune disease, a shame it's so expensive.

Edited by bleedingrose, 18 September 2013 - 01:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users