ice pick red mark

5 replies to this topic

#1 Chicken24

Chicken24

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:43 PM

I have a lot of ice pick scars and red marks left on my face and I want to get rid of them. I heard that both bio oil and emu oil help, but which one works better? While i got my acne, my skin was really really really oil, but now it's just a little oily. I still get a couple of pimples occasionally, but its nothing compared to what I used to get. If I use one of the oils, will I break out alot?

#2 BenVsAcne

BenVsAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (Chicken24 @ Jul 16 2010, 05:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a lot of ice pick scars and red marks left on my face and I want to get rid of them. I heard that both bio oil and emu oil help, but which one works better? While i got my acne, my skin was really really really oil, but now it's just a little oily. I still get a couple of pimples occasionally, but its nothing compared to what I used to get. If I use one of the oils, will I break out alot?

I was deliberating between the two at one point as well. Bio oil has a lot more 'backing' (IE more professionals recommend it, more scientific study to back up it's effectiveness)- where as on acne.org there seems to be a higher success rate with emu oil. I myself decided to not trust either- to me there seems little evidence to support the use of emu oil on acne scars other than on this message board and from the people that sell the stuff. Bio Oil has some known highly comedogenic ingredients (although many have said it doesn't cause them to break out) , and it seems to of had mixed results for acne scarring.

As I'm still on accutane, these were both options for me to help reduce my red marks over the next two months. Ultimately I opted for neither, and went for pure aloe vera gel instead- this seemd a safter option as it is non comedogenic and is a natural extract- but again there is no firm evidence that this will help red marks after acne, although there are alot of claims that it helps heal scarring and reduce redness.

So what I'm trying to say is that I was in the same position, had no idea, went for the safe option and hopefully it will work! This is not to say that emu oil or bio oil is awesome, I'm just in a position where I don't want to risk spots before I go back to Uni!

Hope that helped a bit smile.gif

#3 caliente

caliente

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

i have used both for a good amount of time (longer than 3weeks) but no immediate results. Im thinking of using zinc oxide instead..

#4 Jay326

Jay326

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:49 PM

I've only used bio oil and I'm pretty sure it made my actual acne worse but at the same time I think it helped my actual red marks.

#5 Guest_DireStraits_*

Guest_DireStraits_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:09 PM

I've started using bio oil and i've got a hunch this could be blocking my pores, but i'd need to test it out further.

@benvsacne: can you tell us how you go with the aloe vera, cause im pretty keen on that too.

#6 BenVsAcne

BenVsAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:29 AM

QUOTE (DireStraits @ Jul 16 2010, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've started using bio oil and i've got a hunch this could be blocking my pores, but i'd need to test it out further.

@benvsacne: can you tell us how you go with the aloe vera, cause im pretty keen on that too.

might be making a little log smile.gif i'll keep ye updated either way!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users