Photo

How many of you outgrew acne?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
82 replies to this topic

#41 Rosalie324

Rosalie324

You is Smart. You is Kind. You is important.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

Ugh, I wish I had an answer for you. Heck, I wish I had an answer for myself! I didn't start having ANY acne, zits, whiteheads, etc until I was 16 1/2. I am now 18 1/2 (yes I know I used halves in my age, I was just trying to give a more specific reference lol). It started bad, got better, then cleared up when I was 17, had clear skin for a couple months, came back somewhat, then more, and more. It hasn't been as bad sine I initially started getting acne, but it got bad enough to where I sought treatment. I pray to the derma gods that I outgrow this... and SOON! 

It's so hard seeing all my friends, who granted had acne while I didn't, outgrow their acne now. While I got it late and probably will outgrow it (if and when I do), at a much later age. Self confidence... out the window. sad.png

RIGHT! It's so hard having acne when all your friends have clear skin :'(

It is really difficult. Comparing is never a good thing though and no matter how others perceive me, I always find myself at the bottom of the heap. 

Well let's think of it this way... we may outgrow our acne later, but maybe we'll get wrinkles later. All our friends will be 70 and all wrinkly, while we still have dewy, radiant, youthful skin! 

AM Regimen:

Cleanse face with La Roche Posay Effaclar

Apply Aczone

Moisturize with Sheseido Oil-Free Mattifying Moisturizer

PM Regimen:

Apply Aczone

Spot Treat with Clearisil Adult Acne Tinted Spot Treatment (always)

I now do not follow a vitamin regimen and have expanded my eating to include almost all food groups (excluding lactose/dairy). Since I made this change my face has CLEARED UP!

Minimalism people, trust me it works. Develop a skin care regimen, stick to it, and you will see results. All the rest (diet, exercise, supplements) didn't work for me. Less is more.

Status: 98% Clear... Plus a nice bunch of superficial scarring -.-

#42 Spotthedifference

Spotthedifference

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 42
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

My acne has lessened with age and better treatment (not popping etc). I do think it's possible to outgrow acne if it's hormone related.

Currently clear of acne with the occasional hormonal breakout. Check out my routines and progress updates here:
http://www.acne.org/...g-and-duac-gel/

Treat yourself as you treat others.

#43 hasmas

hasmas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

My acne has lessened with age and better treatment (not popping etc). I do think it's possible to outgrow acne if it's hormone related.

Outgrow acne means that hormones stabilizes.

Accutane empire

#44 Spotthedifference

Spotthedifference

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

Yep. Sorry for not stating that outright. :) Also, there's obviously things you can do to get your hormones more balanced. 

Currently clear of acne with the occasional hormonal breakout. Check out my routines and progress updates here:

#45 AghhNe

AghhNe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

Yep. Sorry for not stating that outright. :) Also, there's obviously things you can do to get your hormones more balanced. 
Only for females though. It is scientifically proven that guys have oilier skin than girls. Guys also produce more testosterone than girls. No wonder guys have worse acne lol. The only good thing is, guy skin is thicker and less sensitive than a girl's skin which means, girls age more rapidly than guys and our skin can heal better :P

Edited by AghhNe, 12 August 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#46 hasmas

hasmas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

Yeah we have like 20-30% thicker skin than females. Yep that´s the androgen shitty hormone that makes our skin so oily and in result of that worse acne sad.png WHYY!

Edited by hasmas, 12 August 2013 - 05:11 PM.

Accutane empire

#47 Spotthedifference

Spotthedifference

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:30 AM

Ooop, guess I forget that normal ladies don't tend to have as much androgens. I do, so I take it for granted teehee.gif  (PCOS = lots of testosterone, DHT and androgens. There's ways to control it for ladies though - some ways for men, too, but you do have less options)

#48 Rosalie324

Rosalie324

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

Yep. Sorry for not stating that outright. smile.png Also, there's obviously things you can do to get your hormones more balanced. 
Only for females though. It is scientifically proven that guys have oilier skin than girls. Guys also produce more testosterone than girls. No wonder guys have worse acne lol. The only good thing is, guy skin is thicker and less sensitive than a girl's skin which means, girls age more rapidly than guys and our skin can heal better tongue.png

Not true! You can balance hormones by being on a strict vitamin regimen... It's obviously a much slower method, but at least there's an option. The best vitamins to help balance hormones are Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, and Magnesium. Zinc is also very beneficial to help with acne at higher doses. If you look at my signature you can see what supplements I take. It's been about two week and I swear that my face is less oily. I went from using 1.5 oil papers a day, to using 3/4 of an oil paper. I'm hoping to see even more improvement with time :)

AM Regimen:

Apply Aczone

PM Regimen:

Apply Aczone

I now do not follow a vitamin regimen and have expanded my eating to include almost all food groups (excluding lactose/dairy). Since I made this change my face has CLEARED UP!

Minimalism people, trust me it works. Develop a skin care regimen, stick to it, and you will see results. All the rest (diet, exercise, supplements) didn't work for me. Less is more.

#49 AghhNe

AghhNe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

Only for females though. It is scientifically proven that guys have oilier skin than girls. Guys also produce more testosterone than girls. No wonder guys have worse acne lol. The only good thing is, guy skin is thicker and less sensitive than a girl's skin which means, girls age more rapidly than guys and our skin can heal better :P

Not true! You can balance hormones by being on a strict vitamin regimen... It's obviously a much slower method, but at least there's an option. The best vitamins to help balance hormones are Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, and Magnesium. Zinc is also very beneficial to help with acne at higher doses. If you look at my signature you can see what supplements I take. It's been about two week and I swear that my face is less oily. I went from using 1.5 oil papers a day, to using 3/4 of an oil paper. I'm hoping to see even more improvement with time :)

Lol, it is true. Guys do have oilier skin, atleast that's what science says.
I thought about supplements but, you need to be careful with those.
I drink green smoothies instead. (Spinach,banana, honey, water)
I also take vitamin c cause it's impossible to overdose vitamin c so it is very safe.
And i take omega 3 fish oil supplement as well.
But that's it cause the other vitamins are risky.
Zinc can cause iron and copper deficiency. That's why people dont reccomend using it long term.
Vitamin a is stored within the liver. That's why it is also dangerous to take. It is risky cause it is toxic at high levels. It is just like accutane. Accutane is from vitamin a which means it is stored within the lungs for a long time which makes accutane very risky hence the side effects.
Vitamin d is also toxic at high levels. I prefer getting my vitamin d with sunlight. You cant overdose from the sunlight cause your body converts just the right amount it needs. It also takes about 15 minutes in the sun to get sufficient vitamin d for the week. But that is only for white people. Darker skin individuals takes more time.

#50 TheSilentForce

TheSilentForce

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:25 PM

I've started having acne problems around 13. I'm 21, and I still have acne problems, although it might be better now. Ever since January, I've been taking half the regular dosage of antibiotics, and I don't think I'm getting noticeably more acne compared to the regular dosage. If I really do have acne problems because of genetic reasons, I'll grow out of it eventually, because so did my maternal grandfather (who also had acne). Too bad my mom doesn't know at what age he grew out of it. It sounds terrible that some people won't grow out of acne. I really hope I do.  

Current regime:

One tablet of Bactrim DS every night

Atralin every other night

Acanya every morning

#51 darkheart

darkheart

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:11 AM

Yeah we have like 20-30% thicker skin than females. Yep that´s the androgen shitty hormone that makes our skin so oily and in result of that worse acne sad.png WHYY!

You can thin the skin out with use of topical retinoids or salicylic acid (preferably a salicylic acid peel).

Yep. Sorry for not stating that outright. smile.png Also, there's obviously things you can do to get your hormones more balanced. 
Only for females though. It is scientifically proven that guys have oilier skin than girls. Guys also produce more testosterone than girls. No wonder guys have worse acne lol. The only good thing is, guy skin is thicker and less sensitive than a girl's skin which means, girls age more rapidly than guys and our skin can heal better tongue.png

Not true! You can balance hormones by being on a strict vitamin regimen... It's obviously a much slower method, but at least there's an option. The best vitamins to help balance hormones are Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, and Magnesium. Zinc is also very beneficial to help with acne at higher doses. If you look at my signature you can see what supplements I take. It's been about two week and I swear that my face is less oily. I went from using 1.5 oil papers a day, to using 3/4 of an oil paper. I'm hoping to see even more improvement with time smile.png

Lol, it is true. Guys do have oilier skin, atleast that's what science says.
I thought about supplements but, you need to be careful with those.
I drink green smoothies instead. (Spinach,banana, honey, water)
I also take vitamin c cause it's impossible to overdose vitamin c so it is very safe.
And i take omega 3 fish oil supplement as well.
But that's it cause the other vitamins are risky.
Zinc can cause iron and copper deficiency. That's why people dont reccomend using it long term.
Vitamin a is stored within the liver. That's why it is also dangerous to take. It is risky cause it is toxic at high levels. It is just like accutane. Accutane is from vitamin a which means it is stored within the lungs for a long time which makes accutane very risky hence the side effects.
Vitamin d is also toxic at high levels. I prefer getting my vitamin d with sunlight. You cant overdose from the sunlight cause your body converts just the right amount it needs. It also takes about 15 minutes in the sun to get sufficient vitamin d for the week. But that is only for white people. Darker skin individuals takes more time.

lol Accutane is not just a high dosage of vitamin A. It is a synthetically produced chemotherapeutic retinoid. They are not the same thing. It is also not stored in the "lungs" either (where on earth are you getting your information?).

#52 AghhNe

AghhNe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

Yes, i know accutane is not just vitamin a. But vitamin a is STILL stored in the body. Atleast that's what ive read from countless topics here about it. That's also the only reason im not taking vitamin a cause i dont like risks lol.

I guess i just phrased my sentences wrong. Pardon me as english is not my first language.

#53 Lilylily89

Lilylily89

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:21 AM

I have siblings who never had acne and even the ones that have acne have it very mild. I have moderate acne which is 1000000x worse than theirs. And unfortunately, my acne will clear up and I'll have perfect skin for a month and then have massive breakouts during the rest of the year. Upsetting.... Anyways, I've decided to (once again) go back on the regimen. I went off off it twice and every time my acne came back even when my skin completely cleared up. I went off because I wanted to be less dependent on BP, but I guess that's just the way it is. :/ oh well.

Edited by Lilylily89, 18 August 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#54 Rosalie324

Rosalie324

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

I have siblings who never had acne and even the ones that have acne have it very mild. I have moderate acne which is 1000000x worse than theirs. And unfortunately, my acne will clear up and I'll have perfect skin for a month and then have massive breakouts during the rest of the year. Upsetting.... Anyways, I've decided to (once again) go back on the regimen. I went off off it twice and every time my acne came back even when my skin completely cleared up. I went off because I wanted to be less dependent on BP, but I guess that's just the way it is. :/ oh well.

Ugh that must suck! But if the regimen works for you, you might as well stick with it. I guess the old saying "You don't fix what's not broken" applies to this topic. 

BTW why are there so many people with an opposition to relying on BP? If it works than why not just continue with the product? (I'm not saying this factiously, I'm honestly curious) 

AM Regimen:

Apply Aczone

PM Regimen:

Apply Aczone

#55 ImJewels

ImJewels

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:20 AM

Ugh, I wish I had an answer for you. Heck, I wish I had an answer for myself! I didn't start having ANY acne, zits, whiteheads, etc until I was 16 1/2. I am now 18 1/2 (yes I know I used halves in my age, I was just trying to give a more specific reference lol). It started bad, got better, then cleared up when I was 17, had clear skin for a couple months, came back somewhat, then more, and more. It hasn't been as bad sine I initially started getting acne, but it got bad enough to where I sought treatment. I pray to the derma gods that I outgrow this... and SOON! 

It's so hard seeing all my friends, who granted had acne while I didn't, outgrow their acne now. While I got it late and probably will outgrow it (if and when I do), at a much later age. Self confidence... out the window. sad.png

It is really difficult. Comparing is never a good thing though and no matter how others perceive me, I always find myself at the bottom of the heap. 

Well let's think of it this way... we may outgrow our acne later, but maybe we'll get wrinkles later. All our friends will be 70 and all wrinkly, while we still have dewy, radiant, youthful skin! 

That's very true! My dad is 51 this year and his skin is amazing! He suffered with acne when he was younger, so I know that's why I have it. But he outgrew it and his skin is absolutely flawless and amazing! There's hope for us:)

#56 Lilylily89

Lilylily89

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:28 AM

Ugh that must suck! But if the regimen works for you, you might as well stick with it. I guess the old saying "You don't fix what's not broken" applies to this topic.

BTW why are there so many people with an opposition to relying on BP? If it works than why not just continue with the product? (I'm not saying this factiously, I'm honestly curious) 
From what I read, people are scared that their skin will become reliant on the BP and it could cause some pre-aging. For me, the acne.org supplies, especially the BP is expensive to buy and the constant drying and peeling effects were, erm, less than desirable. But I rather have clear skin than red, blotchy and painful lumps in my face. So back to BP :/

Edited by Lilylily89, 22 August 2013 - 05:32 AM.

#57 CookieJ

CookieJ

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

I sometimes worry that the fact that we're trying so many (harsh) regimens will mean that we'll never grow out of it

"Happiness is only real when shared" - Christopher McCandless

#58 Rosalie324

Rosalie324

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

I sometimes worry that the fact that we're trying so many (harsh) regimens will mean that we'll never grow out of it

^^That just terrified me...

AM Regimen:

Apply Aczone

PM Regimen:

Apply Aczone

#59 CookieJ

CookieJ

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

^^That just terrified me...

:(

"Happiness is only real when shared" - Christopher McCandless

#60 darkheart

darkheart

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

That's very true! My dad is 51 this year and his skin is amazing! He suffered with acne when he was younger, so I know that's why I have it. But he outgrew it and his skin is absolutely flawless and amazing! There's hope for us:)

Not true. Severe acne destroys collagen and makes a person age faster. I'm only 24 but I've developed actual "fine lines" on my forehead from the collagen breaking down from years of acne and picking in that area. I'm actually considering getting botox in that area to smooth things out. True.. people with oily skin do indeed wrinkle less down the road, but acne and it's topical treatments (benzoyl peroxide especially) are very aging to the skin.

You likely won't. Acne is often a chronic condition that can last a life time. My mother is 62 and still has persistent cystic acne on her chin, cheeks and upper back and so does my dad.

Edited by darkheart, 24 August 2013 - 09:30 PM.