Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many of you outgrew acne?

83 posts in this topic

Yeah we have like 20-30% thicker skin than females. Yep that´s the androgen shitty hormone that makes our skin so oily and in result of that worse acne sad.png WHYY!

Yes, i know accutane is not just vitamin a. But vitamin a is STILL stored in the body. Atleast that's what ive read from countless topics here about it. That's also the only reason im not taking vitamin a cause i dont like risks lol.

I guess i just phrased my sentences wrong. Pardon me as english is not my first language.

I have siblings who never had acne and even the ones that have acne have it very mild. I have moderate acne which is 1000000x worse than theirs. And unfortunately, my acne will clear up and I'll have perfect skin for a month and then have massive breakouts during the rest of the year. Upsetting.... Anyways, I've decided to (once again) go back on the regimen. I went off off it twice and every time my acne came back even when my skin completely cleared up. I went off because I wanted to be less dependent on BP, but I guess that's just the way it is. :/ oh well.

I have siblings who never had acne and even the ones that have acne have it very mild. I have moderate acne which is 1000000x worse than theirs. And unfortunately, my acne will clear up and I'll have perfect skin for a month and then have massive breakouts during the rest of the year. Upsetting.... Anyways, I've decided to (once again) go back on the regimen. I went off off it twice and every time my acne came back even when my skin completely cleared up. I went off because I wanted to be less dependent on BP, but I guess that's just the way it is. :/ oh well.

1 person likes this

AM Regimen:

Cleanse face with La Roche Posay Effaclar

Apply Aczone

Moisturize with Sheseido Oil-Free Mattifying Moisturizer

PM Regimen:

Apply Aczone

Spot Treat with Clearisil Adult Acne Tinted Spot Treatment (always)

I now do not follow a vitamin regimen and have expanded my eating to include almost all food groups (excluding lactose/dairy). Since I made this change my face has CLEARED UP!

Minimalism people, trust me it works. Develop a skin care regimen, stick to it, and you will see results. All the rest (diet, exercise, supplements) didn't work for me. Less is more.

Status: 98% Clear... Plus a nice bunch of superficial scarring -.-

Ugh, I wish I had an answer for you. Heck, I wish I had an answer for myself! I didn't start having ANY acne, zits, whiteheads, etc until I was 16 1/2. I am now 18 1/2 (yes I know I used halves in my age, I was just trying to give a more specific reference lol). It started bad, got better, then cleared up when I was 17, had clear skin for a couple months, came back somewhat, then more, and more. It hasn't been as bad sine I initially started getting acne, but it got bad enough to where I sought treatment. I pray to the derma gods that I outgrow this... and SOON!

It's so hard seeing all my friends, who granted had acne while I didn't, outgrow their acne now. While I got it late and probably will outgrow it (if and when I do), at a much later age. Self confidence... out the window. sad.png

RIGHT! It's so hard having acne when all your friends have clear skin :'(

Ugh that must suck! But if the regimen works for you, you might as well stick with it. I guess the old saying "You don't fix what's not broken" applies to this topic.

BTW why are there so many people with an opposition to relying on BP? If it works than why not just continue with the product? (I'm not saying this factiously, I'm honestly curious)

I sometimes worry that the fact that we're trying so many (harsh) regimens will mean that we'll never grow out of it

"Happiness is only real when shared" - Christopher McCandless

I sometimes worry that the fact that we're trying so many (harsh) regimens will mean that we'll never grow out of it

AM Regimen:

Apply Aczone

PM Regimen:

Apply Aczone

I now do not follow a vitamin regimen and have expanded my eating to include almost all food groups (excluding lactose/dairy). Since I made this change my face has CLEARED UP!

Minimalism people, trust me it works. Develop a skin care regimen, stick to it, and you will see results. All the rest (diet, exercise, supplements) didn't work for me. Less is more.

^^That just terrified me...

Ugh, I wish I had an answer for you. Heck, I wish I had an answer for myself! I didn't start having ANY acne, zits, whiteheads, etc until I was 16 1/2. I am now 18 1/2 (yes I know I used halves in my age, I was just trying to give a more specific reference lol). It started bad, got better, then cleared up when I was 17, had clear skin for a couple months, came back somewhat, then more, and more. It hasn't been as bad sine I initially started getting acne, but it got bad enough to where I sought treatment. I pray to the derma gods that I outgrow this... and SOON!

It's so hard seeing all my friends, who granted had acne while I didn't, outgrow their acne now. While I got it late and probably will outgrow it (if and when I do), at a much later age. Self confidence... out the window. sad.png

It is really difficult. Comparing is never a good thing though and no matter how others perceive me, I always find myself at the bottom of the heap.

Well let's think of it this way... we may outgrow our acne later, but maybe we'll get wrinkles later. All our friends will be 70 and all wrinkly, while we still have dewy, radiant, youthful skin!

Well, that's made my day...

Started really mild at around 14-15 (got an occasional zit) so I decided to start using OTC acne washes and treatments. From then it just got worse and worse. If I'd have known back then what I know now, I'd have left my skin alone.

It was at it's worst when I was 16. I had it on my cheeks, forehead, chin...everywhere! Slowly it subsided and now at 20 my acne is mild and I get it mainly on my chin and around the creases of my nose.

My skin is still really unpredictable, it can be oily (my nose gets pretty shiny) and it can be dry. It's never normal.

It is really difficult. Comparing is never a good thing though and no matter how others perceive me, I always find myself at the bottom of the heap.

Well let's think of it this way... we may outgrow our acne later, but maybe we'll get wrinkles later. All our friends will be 70 and all wrinkly, while we still have dewy, radiant, youthful skin!

2 people like this

AM Regimen:

Apply Aczone

PM Regimen:

Apply Aczone

That's very true! My dad is 51 this year and his skin is amazing! He suffered with acne when he was younger, so I know that's why I have it. But he outgrew it and his skin is absolutely flawless and amazing! There's hope for us:)

Some people will grow out of it, some people won't.

My brother - who is 3 years older than me - I remember he used to have pretty bad acne around 13-15 years old. He grew out of it around 16-17. He didn't/doesn't even have a special regimen. In fact, all he uses is water.

I'm going to be honest though. I think the fact that I've fallen back into using BP again means that it's going to take longer to grow out of it. I just think "what if I hadn't used a lot of harsh stuff? I might have grown out of it pretty fast". Now I'm sitting here, almost 20 years old, thinking it's never gonna go.

My brother - who is 3 years older than me - I remember he used to have pretty bad acne around 13-15 years old. He grew out of it around 16-17. He didn't/doesn't even have a special regimen. In fact, all he uses is water.

I'm going to be honest though. I think the fact that I've fallen back into using BP again means that it's going to take longer to grow out of it. I just think "what if I hadn't used a lot of harsh stuff? I might have grown out of it pretty fast". Now I'm sitting here, almost 20 years old, thinking it's never gonna go.

His acne will come back, just wait. Acne never goes away permanently, your brother is probably just in some type of spontaneous remission.

4 people like this

AM Regimen:

Apply Aczone

PM Regimen:

Apply Aczone

His acne will come back, just wait. Acne never goes away permanently, your brother is probably just in some type of spontaneous remission.

2 people like this

Some people DO grow out of acne. It's more about balancing the right conditions and factors than luck of the draw - usually, raised inflammatory response, excess sebum and skin cells not shedding properly are to blame. These processes are part of the body - a body which, by the way, DOES change in hormonal balance and immune response as a person ages. External factors like diet and facial regimens are usually the way to go, but that doesn't mean that a person's internal factors can't change either.

Oh, and really, try not to be too harsh on your face. Try one treatment at a time and treat it as gently as possible. Too much scrubbing and chemicals CAN make your face worse as it takes longer to heal the excess damage. That's not to say that all chemicals and scrubs should be avoided, just that moderation and care is the key.

And never put BP underneath your first eye bags beneath your eyes. Trust me when I say you have a second set underneath that, whether they're visible or not, and it will make them burn forever.

1 person likes this

Currently clear of acne with the occasional hormonal breakout. Check out my routines and progress updates here:
http://www.acne.org/...g-and-duac-gel/

Treat yourself as you treat others.

I think I've grown out of mine for the most part, at least the 'worst' part of my acne journey. In high school I used to get bigger, more painful zits. Now I get much smaller ones, closer to clogged pores if anything. I don't really get cysts anymore either, those are very rare. I do have a better skin regimen now but I mostly think I've grown out of my bad acne stage.

[CURRENT REGIMEN]

AM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel (European version) + Clarisonic Mia

Apply CeraVe AM Moisturizer w/ SPF 30

Apply Aczone (dapsone)

PM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel + Clarisonic Mia
Apply CeraVe PM Moisturizer
Apply Epiduo (adapalene + benzoyl peroxide)
50 mg of Spironolactone

[CURRENT STATUS]
90% clear

im 38 and unfortunately havent outgrown anything after dealing w/ this for almost 25 years. Sigh

1 person likes this

Morning: Cetaphil cleanser, apply Sodium sulfacetamide

Evening: Cetaphil cleanser, apply differin, wait 1/2 hr, apply aczone as spot treatment.

Not overally exciting w/ the results

Also Has Seb Derm and been using Oxistat in beard area in the mornings. Same, nothing special about the results

Some people DO grow out of acne. It's more about balancing the right conditions and factors than luck of the draw - usually, raised inflammatory response, excess sebum and skin cells not shedding properly are to blame. These processes are part of the body - a body which, by the way, DOES change in hormonal balance and immune response as a person ages. External factors like diet and facial regimens are usually the way to go, but that doesn't mean that a person's internal factors can't change either.

Oh, and really, try not to be too harsh on your face. Try one treatment at a time and treat it as gently as possible. Too much scrubbing and chemicals CAN make your face worse as it takes longer to heal the excess damage. That's not to say that all chemicals and scrubs should be avoided, just that moderation and care is the key.

And never put BP underneath your first eye bags beneath your eyes. Trust me when I say you have a second set underneath that, whether they're visible or not, and it will make them burn forever.

1 person likes this

People never cease to amaze me. Some with their brilliance, others with their ignorance. eusa_think.gif

Here's A Few Acne.org Threads Of Mine You May Find Useful/Interesting (updated 7/25/13)

-- DIY Apple Cider Vinegar Toner

-- How to Ice Inflammed or Picked at Cysts

-- Milk of Magnesia Uses

Other Threads Worth Looking At

-- Oily Skin Research Thread: This shows some of our previous efforts and explains the mechanisms behind oily skin.

-- My failed but enlightening experiment going the "less is more" route, aka "The Caveman Routine"

All the research I've seen supports this. Acne itself may not be directly caused by hormonal imbalances, but what is a result of said imbalances is oily skin. Which of course, is the leading cause of acne in most people. Some people outgrow acne because for whatever reason their hormones are somewhat muted or balanced at some point in the maturation process. This is a fact, and I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that hormones don't play a major role here.

And Darkheart, why would you say acne is a lifelong condition? Where have you heard this? Acne RARELY affects anyone over the age of 50. And the reason? A significant decline in hormonal activity and the slowing of cellular division; meaning less oil, less skin shedding, and less clogged pore

You mentioned the P.acnes bacteria too, Darkheart, and correctly said this is what causes pimples. The oft forgetton part of this conclusion is that P.acnes bacteria NEEDS SEBUM in order to multiply and establish itself on a person's skin. If there is not enough oil, P.acnes has a mild effect at best.

Which brings us back to oily skin, which has been shown to be caused by high androgens or a sensitivity to androgens. This is why in the future, I think we will be using topical DHT blockers to treat acne; used probably after BP and antibiotics but before a Doctor recommends Accutane.

All the research I've seen supports this. Acne itself may not be directly caused by hormonal imbalances, but what is a result of said imbalances is oily skin. Which of course, is the leading cause of acne in most people. Some people outgrow acne because for whatever reason their hormones are somewhat muted or balanced at some point in the maturation process. This is a fact, and I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that hormones don't play a major role here.

And Darkheart, why would you say acne is a lifelong condition? Where have you heard this? Acne RARELY affects anyone over the age of 50. And the reason? A significant decline in hormonal activity and the slowing of cellular division; meaning less oil, less skin shedding, and less clogged pore

You mentioned the P.acnes bacteria too, Darkheart, and correctly said this is what causes pimples. The oft forgetton part of this conclusion is that P.acnes bacteria NEEDS SEBUM in order to multiply and establish itself on a person's skin. If there is not enough oil, P.acnes has a mild effect at best.

Which brings us back to oily skin, which has been shown to be caused by high androgens or a sensitivity to androgens. This is why in the future, I think we will be using topical DHT blockers to treat acne; used probably after BP and antibiotics but before a Doctor recommends Accutane.

1 person likes this

People never cease to amaze me. Some with their brilliance, others with their ignorance. eusa_think.gif

Here's A Few Acne.org Threads Of Mine You May Find Useful/Interesting (updated 7/25/13)

-- DIY Apple Cider Vinegar Toner

-- How to Ice Inflammed or Picked at Cysts

-- Milk of Magnesia Uses

Other Threads Worth Looking At

-- Oily Skin Research Thread: This shows some of our previous efforts and explains the mechanisms behind oily skin.

-- My failed but enlightening experiment going the "less is more" route, aka "The Caveman Routine"