Photo

Tea Tree Oil - DAYUUUM

whitehead whiteheads red tea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Someguy238

Someguy238

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

So I'm about a year and a half post accutane. To cut a large story short, accutane eliminated all of my acne, but I suffered an absurd number of other problems as a result. And right when it feels like I'm starting to figure out how to eliminate all of those problems that cropped up, my acne has started acting up again. It slowly crept up on me, until recently I realized that it was all over my face.

That's when I discovered tea tree oil.

First, I bought a random tea tree oil product from my local grocer. It was terrible, didn't help, made my face red and gave me several whiteheads. The following night, I bought from a proper brand called DESERT ESSENCE, and all of my acne spots were much, much smaller and all of the whiteheads were gone (although the whiteheads could be a product of just stopping usage of the cheaper brand). I only used it as a spot treatment, though, not too sure about covering your entire face with it so be wary of that.

I firmly believe that the BRAND and quality of the product that you buy is absolutely essential, so even if you've tried tea tree oil before try the Desert Essence one, it made a huge difference.

That's all. I know there's several posts already about tea tree oil, but personally trying new products can be scary and it's more comforting for me when I see more and more recommendations, so I figured I'd make one.

Edited by Someguy238, 11 July 2010 - 02:35 PM.

#2 Jlisondra

Jlisondra

misalnya u tidak tahan ketika aku pergi.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:07 PM

did you get it at an organic store?

#3 Someguy238

Someguy238

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:44 AM

Nope, heard the brand mentioned positively a lot though so I ordered it on Amazon.

#4 spectacled_owl

spectacled_owl

With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:15 PM

You can find Desert Essence at grocery stores usually, if your grocery stores have organic sections smile.gif They do up here. You should also be able to find 100% TTO in the vitamin section, right in with the vitamins. It's usually cheaper than the DE brand.

I love love love tea tree oil too. It works great, smells good and doesn't dry out my skin.

#5 Someguy238

Someguy238

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:37 PM

I don't know about smelling good, family members have been complaining about the smell when I apply it but I got used to it by the second day.

Really, really fights acne well but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be doing much for my seb derm patch. I have a red rash that comes up once a week or so and I use protopic to fight it off. I tried using the tea tree oil instead, and so far in the past two or three days it hasn't done much but maybe I should give it more time.

#6 Someguy238

Someguy238

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:37 PM

Sorry, gotta add one more thing. I finally got it to work for seb derm spots.

I make sure to only use 15-20% strength ONCE a day. Any more than that or more frequent uses will fight acne better, but will turn spots of my face red the following day as it is just too irritating for my skin. By limiting it, it gives my face time to recover.

At night, I hop into the shower and grab my normal bar of soap. I rub my hands against the soap until I get enough to wash my face with, but then I put down the bar and grab the tea tree oil. I then carefully put a few drops into my hand and wash my face with the soap as per usual, washing all of the soap off after a few seconds.

Woke up this morning with a much whiter face than the usual red one. Will continue trying this method to see if it continues to work.

Edited by Someguy238, 14 July 2010 - 01:37 PM.

#7 CheyCheyenne

CheyCheyenne

Lightsnoise

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (Someguy238 @ Jul 14 2010, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, gotta add one more thing. I finally got it to work for seb derm spots.

I make sure to only use 15-20% strength ONCE a day. Any more than that or more frequent uses will fight acne better, but will turn spots of my face red the following day as it is just too irritating for my skin. By limiting it, it gives my face time to recover.

At night, I hop into the shower and grab my normal bar of soap. I rub my hands against the soap until I get enough to wash my face with, but then I put down the bar and grab the tea tree oil. I then carefully put a few drops into my hand and wash my face with the soap as per usual, washing all of the soap off after a few seconds.

Woke up this morning with a much whiter face than the usual red one. Will continue trying this method to see if it continues to work.

What kind of bar soap would you be using? Some of them aren't bad, but a lot of them have binders that can clog your pores.

#8 BeadyB

BeadyB

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

I've been wanting to try the desert essence tea tree oil facewash. But I'm scared it will be too harsh on my skin combined with the Sodium Sulfacetamide lotion I'm using. Any suggestions?

#9 Someguy238

Someguy238

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (CheyCheyenne @ Jul 14 2010, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What kind of bar soap would you be using? Some of them aren't bad, but a lot of them have binders that can clog your pores.

Just a typical bar of dove hand soap, not sure if that'd bueno or not...

QUOTE (BeadyB @ Jul 14 2010, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been wanting to try the desert essence tea tree oil facewash. But I'm scared it will be too harsh on my skin combined with the Sodium Sulfacetamide lotion I'm using. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure about that. I tried using sulfur washes that were prescribed by dermatologists to me in the past and they didn't really do anything for me so I just quit using them. Maybe try the tea tree oil on a night that you don't use the sodium lotion? I would be wary of trying both, I overdid the tea tree oil when I first got it and my face paid the price, it is indeed harsh on your skin.

#10 temp123

temp123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:42 PM

Tea tree oil is about as harsh as alcohol, so you shouldn't use it neat, I mix mine into a face cream to about 10% strength.

It's really important not to irritate your skin- when I first tried using TTO I used it neat, and after 2 weeks it gave me a nasty breakout simply because it irritated it. Using at 10% doesn't tend to and kills all the bacteria. Acne responds to anti-inflammatories (that's half of what the antibiotics do), irritation is the polar opposite of what you want.

Edited by temp123, 15 July 2010 - 12:45 PM.