Photo

Healthy Recipes

garlic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2004 - 12:23 PM

Hey everyone! I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on healthy foods/recipes you like. Maybe everyone can post a few of their favorties so people who are on a healthy diet to comabt acne can get some new food ideas.

My favorite thing is Hummus!
I get garlic hummus and its such a great dip. I hated celery and then tryed dipping it in hummus and now i eat it all the time. I usually eat carrots and celery and dip them in some garlic hummus for a snack.

Another great idea is too buy ezekiel wraps and you can make a chicken wrap. I usually throw lettuce in and blend up some tomatoes,peppers, garlic, cilantro, sea salt and a little lime juice for a salsa. I wrap this all up and its great.

Another thing i do is eat fresh fruit in the morning. I will usually eat apples and did them in coconut cream. A great site to get it from is http://www.wildernes...conut_cream.ASP
It doesnt have any hydrogenated oils or any bad additives.

You can also slice up a banna and i use a fork and dip them into a pile of almond butter and raw honey.
You can also dip apple slices in almond butter.

So people post what kind of snacks you eat!

#2 anthrogal

anthrogal

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2004 - 01:06 PM

Great idea for a thread!

I like celery sticks with cottage cheese. But I'm probably a freak by most people's standards. I also eat yogurt or raw almonds. Organic peanut butter with apple is also great.

If you make hummus, why not try some baba-ghanouj? (did I spell that right?)

#3 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2004 - 01:44 PM

Baba-ghanouj looks like it would taste really good. I just did a google search. I buy the hummus from my health food store. Its cheap, only like 2.60 and it lasts me a week. The Baba-ghanouj dip sounds like alot of work because of broiling or barbecuing the eggplant or baking it for 45 minutes. I have eggplants growing in my garden, but they turned out to be italain type ones, which are very very small lol. They look like fake eggplants, their so small sad.gif I would really recommend you try almond butter. Its so tasty and alot better for you than peanuts. Also with almonds some people soak them over night because they have enzyme inhibitors. When you soak almonds they try to sprout and these inhibitors are released. Also i heard they contain cyanide and its better to soak em to remove some of it. I dont soak them, but some people do.

#4 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2004 - 03:04 PM

warm up a piece of corn in medium-hot water for ten minutes (no need to boil)... cut the corn off the cob and drench in cold pressed extra virgin olive oil. avocado oil is better but its expensive.

no salt or pepper needed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
im gonna get some almond butter and see how it works with celery. i usually put pb on celery and sprinkle dried cranberries on top.

i'll also try apple slices with almond butter instead of pb. dried cranberries go well with that too.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is a great thread... im gonna try out the garlic hummice.

any more ideas for making raw veggies taste better?

#5 Joeltp85

Joeltp85

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2004 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE(Lumas @ Jul 29 2004, 12:31 PM)
Baba-ghanouj looks like it would taste really good. I just did a google search. I buy the hummus from my health food store. Its cheap, only like 2.60 and it lasts me a week.  The Baba-ghanouj dip sounds like alot of work because of broiling or barbecuing the eggplant or baking it for 45 minutes. I have eggplants growing in my garden, but they turned out to be italain type ones, which are very very small lol. They look like fake eggplants, their so small sad.gif I would really recommend you try almond butter. Its so tasty and alot better for you than peanuts. Also with almonds some people soak them over night because they have enzyme inhibitors. When you soak almonds they try to sprout and these inhibitors are released. Also i heard they contain cyanide and its better to soak em to remove some of it. I dont soak them, but some people do.

Good tip Lumas. In fact, I always soak my almonds overnight, not only for the reason you mentioned, but soaking them also helps "soften" them so they're not so pasty-the more pasty a nut is, the more it will clog your digestive system causing breakouts.

#6 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2004 - 03:47 PM

I usually just steam veggies for a minute or two, just to soften them up a bit.
You can eat celery, plus almond butter plus rasians on top.
You can buy a raw soy sauce that has alot of good bacteria in it called Nama Shoyu. It can be found at naturalzing.com or rawfood.com.

Ranch Dressing
1 1/2 c cashews or macadamias,1/2 c water, 3 T lemon juice,1-2 cloves garlic,1-2 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp dried dill (small fresh sprig),1/2 tsp dried basil (2 fresh leaves), 1 stalk celery

This is sooo sooo good. I just made it about an hour ago. My mom tryed it too and shes into all junk food and stuff and didnt even though it wasnt real ranch dressing.

I find most of my recipe and food ideas at raw food forums.

http://www.rawfoodsupport.com/
http://pub41.ezboard.com/bdepoprovera
http://rawguru.com ( this site has so many links to other sites that contain alot of recipes)
http://www.rawfoodchat.com/

Fruit smoothies are also great.
Just add about 3/4 cup rice milk ( more of you want it like a shake)
A banana
Some strawberries or blueberries or rasberries, etc.
I use raw honey to make it a lil sweeter sometimes or i use dates

Eat dates. They are so so good. You can slit open one side of them and stuff in some almond butter and then eat them. Dates can be found at any fruit store.

Rasians! Just mix some raisans and sunflower seeds together and eat. Its so simple and taste really good.

#7 Joeltp85

Joeltp85

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 29 July 2004 - 04:03 PM

I actually know alot of good raw food meal ideas. Most people People think raw foods (vegetables) are nasty, and so did I, but through experiments with food combinations and good cookbooks, I've discovered they can taste pretty darn good.

Here's one of my favorites:

Lentil Salad

2 cups sprouted lentils
brocoli (chopped into small pieces)
1/4 cup chopped onions
2 tbs Bragg's liquid aminos
2 tbs flax seed oil (although olive should work)
1 clove Garlic (minced)
tsp curry seasoning

Directions: Place lentils and brocoli in a mixing bowl. In a seperate bowl, mix oil, Bragg's, garlic, and curry. then just stir seasoning mixture into the lentils/brocoli and enjoy.

#8 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2004 - 04:12 PM

Many people probaly dont know how to sprout so Ill fill everyone in.
To sprout lentils

Dry Amount - 3/4 cups

Soaking Time-8 Hours
Sprouting Time-3 Days
Yield- 4 cups

Ok so overnight you would soak your lentils. Then starting the next morning you would Rinse these lentis 2-3 times a day. So every 8 hours you rinse the lentils. Just rinse them off to get any slime off them you may feel.

Just put the lentils in a bowl and cover the of the bowl with a paper towel.

Alot of raw food is very good. Im in love with raw carob powder. Its a powder that taste like chocolate almost. If anyone is really interested in buying it from a website such as the ones i posted earlier, just pm me and ill give you a bunch of recipes. You can make mock chocolate treats for yourself and even puddings. Its really good stuff.

#9 Joeltp85

Joeltp85

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 29 July 2004 - 04:21 PM

Ohh, thanks Lumas, I meant to put that info up there but I completely forgot. biggrin.gif

I should mention that there a sprouters that you can buy if you're interested. They work better than a bowl, but bowls do work fine (they're free wink.gif ).

#10 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 July 2004 - 06:14 AM

This recipe might not be particularly healthy to the people who are avoiding all carbs and sugar, but it tastes delicious! biggrin.gif :

Healthy porridge:

Mix 45-60 grams of rolled oats with 200-300 mls of almond milk.
Microwave for 3 mins.
Once out of microwave, add 30-50g of organic dried apricots (the brown ones, without sulphur dioxide as a preservative) which have been finely chopped.
-add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup.
- optional: top with sprinkled sunflower seeds.

This is an instant snack you can have at any time of the day and requires minimal effort (other than finding the ingredients!) It's a great alternative to sweets such as ice cream which contain much more sugar and fat, and is especially good on cold winter's nights!
It is a good source of:
soluble fibre (oats and apricots)
complex sugars (maple syrup and apricots)
beta-carotene (apricots)
Vitamin E (oats, sunflower seeds and almond milk)
potassium (oats and apricots)
zinc (maple syrup)
Calcium (oats and almond milk)

It's also a medium to low Glycaemic index food, and despite being sweet, the sugars from the apricots and maple syrup are slow release, so will not cause a large rise in insulin production (which may contribute to acne).

Great thread, btw. smile.gif

#11 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 July 2004 - 06:51 AM

Rossignol, the recipe sounds really good.
The converions are as follows.

About 1/4 cup of rolled oats (A little more or less if you want)
About 1/4 cup of Aprictos (Less if you want)
About 1 cup almond milk (More if you want)

50 grams = 1/4 cup
235 mls = 1 cup

I couldnt find exact conversions, but you get the idea from this.

#12 Chloe646

Chloe646

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 July 2004 - 10:55 AM

Anyone try apple butter? it's much lower in sugar than jam and tatstes even better...I love it!

Also, put a banana in the freezer. frozen banana taste sooo good <----whoa that sounded like a lewd little innuendo :eh: but really!

I used to eat raw almond butter but haven't for a long time...is it bad for you? considering the sprouting, soaking info...

OH, I love walnuts>rich in omega 3 fatty acids...

Rossignol...MMMMMM that porridge sounds good, I avoid gluten but could sub cream of buckwheat

#13 tiger88

tiger88

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 July 2004 - 02:16 PM

some very good stuff here!

i plan on trying a fe of these..

i cant give any thing out that tastes any good ......just chicken and veggies here ..

#14 euro18

euro18

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2004 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE(Rossignol @ Jul 30 2004, 05:01 AM)
This recipe might not be particularly healthy to the people who are avoiding all carbs and sugar, but it tastes delicious!  biggrin.gif :

Healthy porridge:

Mix 45-60 grams of rolled oats with 200-300 mls of almond milk.
Microwave for 3 mins.
Once out of microwave, add 30-50g of organic dried apricots (the brown ones, without sulphur dioxide as a preservative) which have been finely chopped.
-add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup.
- optional: top with sprinkled sunflower seeds.

It's also a medium to low Glycaemic index food, and despite being sweet, the sugars from the apricots and maple syrup are slow release, so will not cause a large rise in insulin production (which may contribute to acne).

Sorry, but I doubt this would be medium to low on the glycemic index. Half a cup of oats on their own is medium on the glycemic index, but mixed with dried fruit (quite high on the index) and maple syrup , I think this would be rather high. Just a warning smile.gif

#15 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2004 - 08:03 AM

More recipes!

Apple Sauce
4 apples
2 tablespoons of raw honey (leave this out if your worried about honey)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Peel then slice the apples into large chunks. Through in a blender or food processor until smooth.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Salsa #1
4 tomatoes , chopped
2 scallions
2 clovesfarlic
1/2 cup parsley
1/2 cup cilantro
1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
1 teaspoon cummin
1 teaspoon sea salt
Jalapeno to taste

Add everything except tomatoes and scallions into food processor. Blend until well ground

Add the tomatoes and scallions. Pulse chop until tomatoes and scallions are diced

Let sit for a few hours so flavors blend.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Salsa #2

1/2 cup tightly packed cilantro leaves
1 large garlic clove
1 medium onion
1 or 2 chiles
2 medium tomatoes
2/3 cup tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon honey

Process garlic and cilantro till finely chopped
Add nions tomatoes and pulse chop -6 times. Add remaining ingredients and pule chop 2-3 times.