Photo

androscience

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Kiehls

Michael Kiehls

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:57 AM

I just came across a company called Androscience that just finished up Phase II of a new topical drug that might prove effective. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it sounds like it reduces sebum production, which is exactly what I need since my face pours oil like a fountain (I've even been on multiple courses of accutane!) And all the oil just makes me uncomfortable, break out, and give me PF.

Anyone else heard of Androscience and the drug they're working on? I hope Phase III proves even more successful and this actually comes to market unlike SMT D002 which I had really high hopes for.

Anyways, just wanted to share. Hope someone else out there knows more about this and can enlighten the rest of us.

#2 radikal

radikal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:48 AM

All hail our newest hope, ASC-J9 !! Thanks for posting, yes they seem quite advanced in development, Phase III trial this October. This is the final stage before going to market.

#3 Wotever

Wotever

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:20 AM

Interestingly, this and SMT D002 have been subject to very similar licensing agreements - respectively with Orient Europharma and Orient Pharma. These two companies have very similar names, they are both based in Taiwan and they are actually very closely related. Orient Pharma is a subsidiary of Orient Europharma.

The deals done have got a lot in common as well. In both cases OP/OEP get rights to the product in the Asia Pacific region.

http://www.genengnew...tment/81243441/
http://www.oep.com.t...troduction.aspx

Generally the ASC-J9 results sound very vague and wishy washy ("In a previous Phase IIa trial, ASC-J9 in cream formulation lowered lesion counts in moderate-to-severe acne") compared with SMT D002's impressive claims. I have, though, found a bit that is more specific about the effects on sebaceous glands, from studies done in rats:

[0034]FIG. 9 depicts representative photographs of Fuzzy rats treated as described in detail in Example 6. Fuzzy rats were treated with topical creams containing vehicle only (left side animal) or ASC-J9 (25 micromolar, right side animal) for the times indicated. The photographs show that bands of sebaceous glands and sebum secretion (skin color) were reduced within 4-5 weeks in the Fuzzy rats treated with ASC-J9 (right side animal).

[0035]FIG. 10 depicts representative photographs (FIGS. 10A-C) and graphical representations of duct and lobe size (FIGS. 10D, 10E) of sebaceous glands in Fuzzy rat skin. Skin tissue samples (split skin) were prepared and examined by microscopy. FIG. 10A-C are photographs depicting the duct and lobe of the sebaceous gland (of a split skin sample) upon treatment with a vehicle control (8A) or compound ASC-J9 (8B) and a castrated animal (8C). In FIG. 10D, size of glandular lobes were measured by tracing the edges of the well-preserved glandular lobules, and then quantified with Image J software, and expressed as pixel counts contained within the traced areas. The data obtained showed topical treatment with the vehicle only (control cream) did not produce a significant change in glandular lobe size. Topical treatment of male rats with the various concentration of test compounds ASC-J9 resulted in a significant reduction in the size of the sebaceous glandular lobe, though not to the extent caused by castration, but are better than the conventional anti-androgen flutamide. FIG. 10E depicts representative data showing that ASC-J9 applied to skin significantly reduced the size of ducts of sebaceous glands in male Fuzzy rats comparable to the castration effect and better than flutamide.

These paragraphs are from the patent: http://www.faqs.org/...app/20090035362

btw, it is a phase IIb trial coming up, isn't it - not phase III?

Edited by Wotever, 11 August 2010 - 05:29 AM.

#4 radikal

radikal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (Wotever @ Aug 10 2010, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
btw, it is a phase IIb trial coming up, isn't it - not phase III?

it seems so...though being outsourced to Taiwan they may have differing standards or timeline. From my limited reading this seems like it's going to be a freaking c.u.r.e.; it neuters the androgen receptors themselves, it's not an androgen antagonist. Interesting times.

#5 Wotever

Wotever

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

Another item to add to the almost non-existent list of sebaceous gland inhibitors is 17alpha-propionate (CB-03-01) as per recent proof of concept hair loss study from Cosmo pharmaceuticals. This is claimed to block androgens from binding with the ARs.

http://www.cosmophar...pr2010/20101006

The bad news is that since this is at the proof of concept stage, I would imagine that if it does make it to market this will be many years away.

I note that the description of iontophoresis given in their press release contains sections that are identical in the Wikipedia article on the same subject. If they simply come from a common source this is fair enough, but if Cosmo copied text from Wikipedia into their press release this is not a major boost to their credibility.

#6 Wotever

Wotever

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:19 PM

I have been wondering about the progress of the ASC-J9 phase IIb trial since this was planned for the last quarter of 2010 according to previous reports. Just found this page which indicates that it will start this month (Feb 2011) and last 12 weeks:

http://clinicaltrial...how/NCT01289574

According to this information the study will investigate acne lesions only and will not measure sebum production, which as far as I am concerned is not good news.

#7 cervantes86

cervantes86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:20 PM

there actually doing a clinical trial where iam located. and it seems promising, because most things out there are for mild to moderate acne. but this seems powerful stuff, since they exculsively want ppl with serious acne.

this might not be a cure, but it might be an effective treatment. i believe that this would prob work well with a retinoid, cause just slowing down sebum production wont stop acne i believe, unless if you unplug the hair follicles, which is what a retinol would do. but either way, its years from now unforunately, because they are just in phase II, just like the acne vaccine..sigh..

#8 FSAS

FSAS

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:51 PM

they havn't really updated but i got an email from them in response to my question and the woman just said "we dont have an answer yet, as the clinical trials are going on right now. we will post updates as soon as we have them'. of course my question was asking how far they are into the trials haha but i guess she couldnt be too specific. I wish we knew if it was a matter of months or literally years

#9 dcarver

dcarver

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

I wonder if the topical delivery can target dermal androgen receptors without interfering with "other" adrogen receptors such as those in skeletal muscle and in the brain, (decreased muscle tone and libido) would be "inconvenient" to say the least.

#10 FSAS

FSAS

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

theyre not really big on giving too much info away. i asked if its possible for an update just the other day and she said perhaps by the end of this year

#11 cervantes86

cervantes86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

end of this year...sigh...