This topic is archived.
63 replies to this topic

#1 Helio

Helio

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:11 AM

I haven't visited these forums in such a long time since my fight with acne seems to be over, but I feel I have an obligation to return and share what worked for me.

I'll start with a little background info. I've had severe acne for about 6 years now, and only last year have I finally had success with it. I've tried so many different products: benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, mandelic acid, glycolic acid, tea tree oil, clindamycin, tretinoin...the list can continue for a whole page! What I discovered was that while my acne was cleared to an extent, I could never stop breakouts from happening. I think that is the reason I never cleared my acne, I couldn't stop new pimples from forming.

So one day while I was perusing in Walmart, I found this little orange jar labeled 10% Sulfur Acne Cream for like..under $4. I had tried sulfur products in the past and they seemed to work as a spot treatment. I've never tried it as an all-over treatment because it was too harsh. But this had me thinking...if I mixed sulfur and lotion to make it more soothing, it could work.

For the next week, I got a dab of the sulfur cream and a squirt of Cetaphil lotion and mixed it by rubbing my palms together. I applied this once every night. Within a week, my acne had totally cleared. This was shocking, as I've never, ever had a time where I had no active pimples on my skin.

Of course, within a few days, some sprouted up. But they quickly disappeared and since then, I have had a few pop up but no breakouts. I think the reason I had the initial breakout was because sulfur "pulls up" all of the sebum, bringing it to the surface.

As for my scars, I still have the holes, but I did swim a lot and tanned away the discoloration. I do believe sunlight helps with acne.

Thanks for reading this, and if any of you are pondering whether or not to try it - all I have to say is, it worked for me. I suffered for years and years before finally trying this. I'm not going to claim that this is a miracle product, because we all know everyone responds differently.

In short (for the lazy readers):
I mixed a dab of $4 Sulfur Acne Cream (found in Walmart but I've seen it at so many different stores) with some lotion and it cleared my severe acne. Sulfur is normally used as a spot treatment because it is very drying, but I figured if used with lotion, the lotion would counteract the dryness.

I look forward to your replies and please feel free to ask any questions.

#2 Corsair

Corsair

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:28 AM

Good to hear that. eusa_clap.gif
I also use sulfur (5%), mostly for spot treatment to dry pimples, bumps and to fade redness.

#3 zits5036

zits5036

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:31 PM

I use DDF 10% sulfur as my weekly facial mask. My skin is very oily so I don't get dry using the sulfur.

#4 kendaz

kendaz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:02 AM

Can you give a little more detail on the product such as it's name/brand, Helio? Thanks for coming back and encouraging all of us.

#5 krkfive

krkfive

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:21 PM

What was the brand name of the sulfur product that you used? I have not tried sulfur, but will try anything at this point.

#6 Helio

Helio

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:32 AM

Sorry for not replying earlier! I just remembered today that I made a thread on this.

To those who requested, the brand is De La Cruz and it's called Sulfur 10% Ointment. Here's a link to some reviews: click me!

To post a quick update - I've been completely clear since using this product. Whenever I get lazy and don't put anything on - I get zits. But the sulfur quickly clears it up again. Recently, I stopped using it for 2 weeks due to a surgery and infection. I got a huge breakout on my forehead, cheeks, and chin. It looked as if I had an allergic reaction, I was literally covered in red pimples. After two days of resuming treatment, the pimples were definitely receding.

I'm so glad I found something that worked, I hope it works for you too!

#7 Guest_beccaboo00_*

Guest_beccaboo00_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:25 PM

i wanted to try that stuff but i coudnt find it anywhere.
so i bought acnefree sulfur mask brought some swelling down on some cysts and brought one to a head last night popped it this morning now its almost gone.
where can i find it in arizona if you have any idea. not walgreens or cvs walmart maybe?
thank you though for your story i wish we all could get to a good point and stay there.

#8 Helio

Helio

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

That's great to hear - that's what sulfur does for me too! It seems to pull all the bad stuff (in layman terms) to the surface and helps it heal faster.

I know how frustrating it is to not find a product after going to different stores. If you could find anything that has sulfur in it, it'll work. The De La Cruz one that I have isn't put in with all the other skin products. Usually it's off in its own section usually near ethnic products. At Longs Drugs, it was put in the skin care aisle, but in a little section of products from Mexico. At walmart, it was at a totally random location - in the general beauty area but it was in a corner, again with other imported products. At savemart, it was in the general beauty area as well but again, off in a different section away from all the other acne products. Hopefully if you could ask an employee, they can find it for you. I find that most stores have it, but they put it in the most random places. If you can't find this particular one though, just look for any cheap product that has sulfur as its active ingredient.

It's also available online but overpriced. Again - I'm sure any sulfur product will do. As an alternative, you can also use sulfur soap, but I always find that next to the jar of sulfur ointment.

Hope this helps - good luck!

#9 Four Year Strong

Four Year Strong

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:53 AM

I'm currently using Dan's regimine and was wondering how could I go about trying some of this in conjunction w/ it?

#10 theamericanswede

theamericanswede

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:35 AM

could you show before and after pictures?

where can sulfur be bought? and is it normally used for acne or is it your way of dealing with acne?

dont know if I ever seen this is sweden lol

#11 Helio

Helio

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:37 AM

QUOTE (Four Year Strong @ Aug 13 2010, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm currently using Dan's regimine and was wondering how could I go about trying some of this in conjunction w/ it?

Benzoyl Peroxide is already pretty drying...I'd say use sulfur as a spot treatment or alternate usage of the two products - BP in the day, Sulfur at night.

I wouldn't use both at the same time though.

#12 Helio

Helio

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE (theamericanswede @ Aug 14 2010, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
could you show before and after pictures?

where can sulfur be bought? and is it normally used for acne or is it your way of dealing with acne?

dont know if I ever seen this is sweden lol

I wish I could right now, but my skin is clear. I'll try digging up old pictures before I started and I'll post them as soon as I find them.

The 10% Sulfur ointment I bought was found at drugstores. Sulfur has been used an acne treatment since ancient times, naturally found in hot sulfurous mineral water. If you look at some high-end acne products like the Drying Lotion from Mario Badescu, you'll see the active ingredient is sulfur. The reason people don't use it regularly is because it's very drying. However, I found a simple solution - mix it with lotion and it'll be gentle enough to be used regularly.

I don't know where you'd find it in Sweden, but sulfur is a pretty common acne ingredient. You could try ordering some sulfur ointment or sulfur soap online.

Edited by Helio, 14 August 2010 - 02:44 AM.

#13 theamericanswede

theamericanswede

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:14 AM

sweet, so you use cream or gel sulfur? also you leave the sulfur on the skin, same to the regime with BP?

#14 Trae Michael

Trae Michael

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (Helio @ Aug 14 2010, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Four Year Strong @ Aug 13 2010, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Benzoyl Peroxide is already pretty drying...I'd say use sulfur as a spot treatment or alternate usage of the two products - BP in the day, Sulfur at night.

I wouldn't use both at the same time though.

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't use BP and Sulfur together either. I was thinking about purchasing a bar of sulfur for those times that my skin starts feeling a little oily. And I have heard that it's working for a lot of people, and really want to try it, even if it smells like rotten feet. wink.gif

#15 Helio

Helio

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE (theamericanswede @ Aug 14 2010, 02:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sweet, so you use cream or gel sulfur? also you leave the sulfur on the skin, same to the regime with BP?

I use the cream..I haven't ever encountered a gel version of sulfur. Yes, I leave it on the skin.

#16 Helio

Helio

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:14 AM

QUOTE (Trae Michael @ Aug 14 2010, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't use BP and Sulfur together either. I was thinking about purchasing a bar of sulfur for those times that my skin starts feeling a little oily. And I have heard that it's working for a lot of people, and really want to try it, even if it smells like rotten feet. wink.gif

I got my friend to try out sulfur soap, her skin is super oily. I see her every morning and already her face is shiny. A couple days after she started using it, I could definitely tell her skin was drying up.

About the smell - try to find an unscented version! The one I use is pretty good, it doesn't really have any smell. Some sulfur products I've tried puts a load of fragrance and it just smells horrible. Although using sulfur soap would be good because you don't have to have it on for very long and it still works well.

#17 pushing30

pushing30

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (Helio @ Aug 21 2010, 03:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Trae Michael @ Aug 14 2010, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got my friend to try out sulfur soap, her skin is super oily. I see her every morning and already her face is shiny. A couple days after she started using it, I could definitely tell her skin was drying up.

About the smell - try to find an unscented version! The one I use is pretty good, it doesn't really have any smell. Some sulfur products I've tried puts a load of fragrance and it just smells horrible. Although using sulfur soap would be good because you don't have to have it on for very long and it still works well.

Hey Helio, when you apply this I'm assuming you leave it on all night or do you wash off? Thanks!

#18 Helio

Helio

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:48 AM

QUOTE (pushing30 @ Aug 24 2010, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Helio, when you apply this I'm assuming you leave it on all night or do you wash off? Thanks!

Yes, I leave it on all night.

My ointment is running out and I'm thinking of switching to just using the soap in the shower. I remember it being pretty drying though so I'll probably just wash it off right away. Hopefully I don't have to use lotion anymore.

#19 hellogirl

hellogirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (Helio @ Aug 29 2010, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (pushing30 @ Aug 24 2010, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I leave it on all night.

My ointment is running out and I'm thinking of switching to just using the soap in the shower. I remember it being pretty drying though so I'll probably just wash it off right away. Hopefully I don't have to use lotion anymore.

#20 FBAL

FBAL

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:53 PM

Same for me!! I've suffered from cystic acne for about 6 yr. As u said I tried everything under the sun. Doing research on the topic as usual, i came across sulfur. I lived in CO, Gleenwood Springs, there's a a run off from the hot springs there. Anyway they're called the "hippie dips" and they reak of sulfur, which it might sound weird but I like the smell, call me a freak!
I remember how soft and clean my skin felt after getting out. Since I love natural over man made I ran out and got some, along with some neem oil. I use the soap every morning and night.

this might also be helpful for u if u are suffering from scarring:
mix 1TBS neem oil and 1/3 cp olive oil and put it on ur scars, I put it all over
warning neem oil smells like onions but ur skin will thank you for it
I also use a mask of
2TBS french clay (burts bees sells it in a form of a refining mask)
1TBS neem oil
and 5 drops of lavender oil
leave on for an hour.
The clay extracts and tightens while the neem fights bacterial and softens skin.
U should do research on neem and acne. It's helped me. I really softens the appearance of scars cause it softens ur skin! Good Luck