Photo

Concealer for men?

concealer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rafiki3

Rafiki3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:44 PM

Teen guy I just can't take my red/dark marks anymore. I really don't know what I'm going to do treatment wise yet, maybe some of you saw my other thread.

Anyways, I figured I would at least try masking my marks and spots. I just don't know how concealer or make up in general works.

Will I only need to buy one thing? And is it going to be applied with my hands, do I just smear it until it blends with my skin and hides the marks?

Also, will it look realistically and effective? I'm going to be more embarassed if people KNOW I have make up on then if I just go out with my marks to be honest.

Lastly, what is the best product I am supposed to buy to do this. Anyone knowledgeable in concealer or whatever I am supposed to use (for men specifically, if that matters) and how to apply please walk me through? I'd really appreciate.

#2 greentiger87

greentiger87

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:31 PM

Sigh. So, I've been through a couple experiments with using foundation/make-up... in general I just don't have the discipline to do it, so I've probably done it a total of 4 or 5 times for really special occasions. When its done well though, it can look great and be totally unnoticeable.

If you just want to get your feet wet, I've heard great things about "The Men Pen". There's a crazy number of colors, and its pretty cheap.

http://mensconcealer.com/

EDIT: Errm. Not as cheap as it used to be. You can buy what you need in the drugstore for under 10 dollars..

If you're looking to cover up marks on a larger portion of your face, you can try what I do. Basically, I wash/exfoliate, put on whatever treatment i'm using for acne, moisturize really thoroughly, wait a bit for the moisturizer to soak in. Then the fun stuff wink.gif

You need to buy a foundation... there's a couple reasonably priced drugstore brands that include 2% salicylic acid - usually marketed as "skin clearing." You want to go for a matte or natural matte finish, so that it doesn't look like you're wearing make-up. The other term to look for is "full coverage" - meaning that the makeup is mostly opaque. Because I have darker skin, I had to buy two different colors and then mix them in the palm of my hand to get the right color (you're supposed to test on the inside of your wrist, though i'm not really sure why). There are a lot more options if your skin is a lighter color, so you may find exactly what you need.

Basically, you apply the foundation using your fingers, blending it in as you go. Use a little bit more than you think you need, and then go back with a paper towel or tissue and blot away the extra until you're satisfied.

Next you want to buy a blotting powder... it can be colored if you can find the right shade, but an invisible blotting powder is best. This just sets the make-up on your face, keeps your face from shining like the oil spill in the gulf, and (hopefully) makes you look pretty natural.

Because of my dark skin color and where my problem spots are at, I don't have to worry about bronzer (I'm not even totally sure what that means). But some people use a slightly darker powder on their upper cheekbones and the bridge of the nose to keep the contours of the face from looking unnatural. If you look in the mirror and don't look like you're wearing a mask, you should be fine.

Whew. Okay overall remember LESS is MORE. Do everything in really bright light, and you'll be sure not to use too much (I've never had anyone ask if I was wearing make-up, and with my friends - they would comment).

Be really really careful about your sideburns, hairline, eyebrows, and stubble - if you get the stuff on your hairs, it'll be really obvious.

Always take the crap off before you go to bed, or ideally as soon as you get home. Use an oil (jojoba or grapeseed) to emulsify the makeup on your face, and then wash it off thoroughly with your facial cleanser.

Currently I'm using a combination of Neutrogena skin clearing liquid makeup and Revlon colorstay soft flex make-up

But seriously when my skin is totally clear, I'm never touching this crap again.

Check out these videos too... the first guy is the better one, the second guy goes overboard but you still learn things.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pqPq6mO7wNQ

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=hMClkA02yiY

Btw, there's a bunch of men's make-up lines nowadays, but they're all hilariously expensive. I've never tried any of them, so I really wouldn't know. But drugstore stuff has worked for me. You use such a tiny amount.. I've bought a lot to try but there all just kind of sitting in a box in my bathroom. I may not actually need to buy any again till 2020.

Edited by greentiger87, 04 July 2010 - 10:39 PM.

#3 BenVsAcne

BenVsAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

Hey
I used foudation/concealer for a while but it really is not worth the effort- it takes ages to put on/take off, hard to get right and (for me atleast) it looked like i was wearing makeup- which i wanted to avoid!
I'd really recommend a good tinted moisturiser- these WONT completetly cover your red marks, but will make them look a lot better (and more importantly give you more confidence). They are also much easier to apply, and doesn't look like you're wearing make up!
I've only tried 2- 'Benefit You Rebel Light' (awful, avoid it) and Stilla Tinted Moisturizer Oil Free SPF 30- I've been using this for around a year. It's very good, and I've had no issues with it- but the coverage is very sheer (IE there isn't enough coverage)- so I myself am going to try the Laura Mercier Tinted Moistruizer (again oil free, but spf 20).
Anyhoo yeah- if you have the time to commit and you're happy to risk people sussing you're wearing makeup then deffo go for foundation/concealer- it'll give you much better coverage and is generally cheaper too. I find tinted moisturisers far more man friendly and fit in well with me though!
also ^ above post has some good advice!! smile.gif

#4 Rafiki3

Rafiki3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (BenVsAcne @ Jul 5 2010, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey
I used foudation/concealer for a while but it really is not worth the effort- it takes ages to put on/take off, hard to get right and (for me atleast) it looked like i was wearing makeup- which i wanted to avoid!
I'd really recommend a good tinted moisturiser- these WONT completetly cover your red marks, but will make them look a lot better (and more importantly give you more confidence). They are also much easier to apply, and doesn't look like you're wearing make up!
I've only tried 2- 'Benefit You Rebel Light' (awful, avoid it) and Stilla Tinted Moisturizer Oil Free SPF 30- I've been using this for around a year. It's very good, and I've had no issues with it- but the coverage is very sheer (IE there isn't enough coverage)- so I myself am going to try the Laura Mercier Tinted Moistruizer (again oil free, but spf 20).
Anyhoo yeah- if you have the time to commit and you're happy to risk people sussing you're wearing makeup then deffo go for foundation/concealer- it'll give you much better coverage and is generally cheaper too. I find tinted moisturisers far more man friendly and fit in well with me though!

Thanks ben, I actually didn't even think about a tinted moisturizer! That does sound more appealing. Is there anywhere I can test or something to find out my shade though. I don't want to go somewhere with a TON of people and have to be embarassed trying different shades. How did you find out what shade you were?

http://www.stilacosm...il.asp?PMID=530

on the stilla website they have about 8 different options.

also, you just apply it with your hands like a regular moisturizer right?

#5 swdison

swdison

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:39 AM

QUOTE (Rafiki3 @ Jul 5 2010, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks ben, I actually didn't even think about a tinted moisturizer! That does sound more appealing. Is there anywhere I can test or something to find out my shade though. I don't want to go somewhere with a TON of people and have to be embarassed trying different shades. How did you find out what shade you were?

I use Boots N07 Fair tinted-moisturizer. I just apply it after using cleanser, and my treatment gel (letting that dry), then applying the tinted moisturizer to a wet face. I've tried it with a dry face and it starts to flake a bit. The water lets you smooth it around until it sets and then it looks pretty good, avoiding the flakes.

#6 BenVsAcne

BenVsAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:46 AM

QUOTE (Rafiki3 @ Jul 6 2010, 04:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (BenVsAcne @ Jul 5 2010, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey

I actually went trial and error- picking them up cheap on ebay (I could never go to a counter in a store and try!)- tinted moisturizers are far more forgiving than foundations! Ofcourse you should match your skin tone as close as possible, but unless it's massively off it's not noticeable. I'm sure there's a proper method of finding out your exact skin tone though biggrin.gif I just looked at the inside of my wrist and took that (I'm quite pale).
I cleanse, put my cetaphil moisturiser on as a 'base' then apply the tinted moisturiser (small amount! I use around the size of my thumb fingernail for my face and neck- DON'T forget your neck line! otherwise it will show)- make sure to blend it in well, but obviously don't rub your face too hard biggrin.gif
Hope that helps! Like I said try eBay, i got some Stila off of there for £2!

#7 heyguys14

heyguys14

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:54 PM

i bought an airbrush makeup set and you cant even tell your wearing makeup because its a fine mist and its basically TINY dots instead of a blob of paste a.k.a. concealer. LOL. I love airbush makeup I'm sure it works great for guys too, and it doesnt rub off if someone touches your face, which im not sure why anyone would touch someone else's face lol but you get the picture.

#8 ruiicho

ruiicho

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:27 AM

well im a girl and i also hate covering up my acne i feel its gonna get worst but i reccommend the neutrogena salisic acid liquid make-up this is the websitee (:

#9 ruiicho

ruiicho

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:29 AM

www.neutrogena.com
then go to store after that go to cosmetics and it should be on the 1st page(: