Photo

Getting Accutane for a clinical study and I am a little...scared?!

clinical

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 scott24

scott24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:12 AM

My mom was at the doctor last week and he was filling her in on this study they were doing for acne. She called me thinking I may be interested, and of course, I was.

I am 27, and don't have as many pimple as I used to, however the ones I do get are pretty frequent still. Plus, they are large, red, deep, and painful zits that scar even though I don't squeeze or pick at them. Mainly in the T-zone under my eyes and on my neck, and back.

Anyways I call the number she gave me, and the study is for Accutane. The doctor gives me the gist and I go in this morning (in a few hours) and get the initial tests done. The visits and drug are totally free. And to top it off, I get $500 for participating when the study is done (it is for 6 months). I get a low dosage for 2 weeks and then a higher dosage with twice a month check-ups (pending the 2 weeks goes ok).

I am excited because I am tired of acne. I am ready to get rid of it after 15 years. On the other hand, I am a little scared from side effect stories. I have a pretty busy life, and very involved with music and guitar. I'm a little nervous of my daily routine being disturbed I guess.

I don't know...it's hard to explain. Just a little nervous and felt like ranting surprised.gif surprised.gif
Regimen:

Morning:
Cetaphil cleanser
Dan's BP mainly as spot treatment for my problem areas
Sea Breeze Moisturizer

Night:
Same as above, except I do BP on my entire face rather than just spot treatment.

#2 Swits

Swits

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:58 AM

figure out what the dosages are compared to your weight and keep us posted

#3 Siava

Siava

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

Yes, please keep us posted. Man, I'm jealous! I wish I got paid for the course!! lol.gif

#4 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:34 PM

That's really neat, having the treatment and checkups and blood work all paid for PLUS a payment at the end! What will the dosages be or did the doc say that?

Be sure that if you agree to participate in this study that you also commit to completing all the surveys, visits, phone interviews that are required, otherwise you might not get that payment at the end. They'll probably also have a number for you to call for any questions regarding the study. They will not be able to give medical advice, only your doctor can, but they will be able to answer questions about the study, some about the medication, and about follow-ups, and whether or not you should seek medical advice.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#5 scott24

scott24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

Well I went in today and I was "ok'ed" for the study. Basically what it is, is a newer version of Accutane that isn't supposed to be as harsh on the side effects. They somehow refined it chemically. They also said it doesn't have to be taken with fatty foods to be absorbed well.

They drew some blood, I peed in a cup, had an over the phone interview with a mental health doctor, signed some papers and they did a great job filling me in on everything. My blood pressure was pretty high and the doctor even set aside a few minutes to talk to me about it and give me tips, which made me feel comfortable with the people I was dealing with. They gave me a booklet on what to expect, what to avoid, and how to take care of my skin while on the drug. They said my medication will be in next week, and will give me a call to pick it up. The dosage wasn't mentioned but earlier on they did say it would be half for a few weeks, then any side effects will be recorded before the full dosage for the rest of the study. I weigh about 170lbs, so we'll see.

Wynne, thanks for the tips! I will be meticulous with it all so I get my money. I feel like I lucked out, because the guy said it's about $6000 worth of treatment between the drug, tests, and check-ups.
Regimen:

Morning:
Cetaphil cleanser
Dan's BP mainly as spot treatment for my problem areas
Sea Breeze Moisturizer

Night:
Same as above, except I do BP on my entire face rather than just spot treatment.

#6 demaguil

demaguil

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:10 AM

dude you're very lucky..because you don't need to spend..
AM:
J&J top to toe baby wash for face
Proactive Oil-free Moisture SPF 15
head and shoulder classic for hair and itchy scalp

PM:
J&J top to toe baby wash for face..
Celeteque alcohol free toner
Celeteque Oil free moisturizer without SPF
Acutrex10mg (Generic Brand of Isotretenoin)on a full stomach

#7 crystal_willow

crystal_willow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (scott24 @ Jun 28 2010, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I went in today and I was "ok'ed" for the study. Basically what it is, is a newer version of Accutane that isn't supposed to be as harsh on the side effects. They somehow refined it chemically. They also said it doesn't have to be taken with fatty foods to be absorbed well.

They drew some blood, I peed in a cup, had an over the phone interview with a mental health doctor, signed some papers and they did a great job filling me in on everything. My blood pressure was pretty high and the doctor even set aside a few minutes to talk to me about it and give me tips, which made me feel comfortable with the people I was dealing with. They gave me a booklet on what to expect, what to avoid, and how to take care of my skin while on the drug. They said my medication will be in next week, and will give me a call to pick it up. The dosage wasn't mentioned but earlier on they did say it would be half for a few weeks, then any side effects will be recorded before the full dosage for the rest of the study. I weigh about 170lbs, so we'll see.

Wynne, thanks for the tips! I will be meticulous with it all so I get my money. I feel like I lucked out, because the guy said it's about $6000 worth of treatment between the drug, tests, and check-ups.

good luck!! keep us posted smile.gif

Morning: Wipe skin down with face wipes (sticking to one shower a day seems to help skin strength and healing)

use finacea face, jawline, neck, arms, chest, back (azelaic acid 15% gel)

Evening: shower with any shampoo I want then wash with PEARS soap (twice a week use Vosene as a wash and leave it on for 1-5 mins)

use finacea face, jawline, neck and chest (azelaic acid 15% gel)

(Last adapted summer 2012)

My skin is now "normal" clear!! Thankyou to everyone for all your support!!

my finacea log including my September 2011 summary video (link is for the start of it, copy and paste as the link won't work directly):

http://www.acne.org/...re-ppl-try-this

Doing Yoga/practicing mindfulness, this has really helped me alot! Trying to eat better for my immune system

i.e. more veg and fruit plus trying to eat low GI, drink lots of water and get enough sleep.....

Wash your sheets and towels twice a week!!

#8 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (scott24 @ Jun 28 2010, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is VERY interesting. Please do keep us informed if you're allowed to. I know that some study programs include a No disclosure agreement or a confidentiality (for 'industry secrets') clause.

If there is a NDA or Confidentiality Clause, don't share with us unless you're allowed to. Otherwise you jeopardize your payment or even participation in the study.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#9 crystal_willow

crystal_willow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:40 PM

This is VERY interesting. Please do keep us informed if you're allowed to. I know that some study programs include a No disclosure agreement or a confidentiality (for 'industry secrets') clause.

If there is a NDA or Confidentiality Clause, don't share with us unless you're allowed to. Otherwise you jeopardize your payment or even participation in the study.

ditto smile.gif

Morning: Wipe skin down with face wipes (sticking to one shower a day seems to help skin strength and healing)

use finacea face, jawline, neck, arms, chest, back (azelaic acid 15% gel)

Evening: shower with any shampoo I want then wash with PEARS soap (twice a week use Vosene as a wash and leave it on for 1-5 mins)

use finacea face, jawline, neck and chest (azelaic acid 15% gel)

(Last adapted summer 2012)

My skin is now "normal" clear!! Thankyou to everyone for all your support!!

my finacea log including my September 2011 summary video (link is for the start of it, copy and paste as the link won't work directly):

http://www.acne.org/...re-ppl-try-this

Doing Yoga/practicing mindfulness, this has really helped me alot! Trying to eat better for my immune system

i.e. more veg and fruit plus trying to eat low GI, drink lots of water and get enough sleep.....

Wash your sheets and towels twice a week!!