Photo

How could you possibly tell what breaks you out?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2004 - 06:34 AM

I'm trying to figure out, basically, which foods I can eat, and which I can't, to avoid any breakouts.

HOWEVER, don't new spots take 3 weeks or something to emerge?

So, when I look in the mirror, am I basically looking at the results of the food I ate almost a month ago? Or yesterday?

How could you ever really tell what breaks you out then - if the former is the case?

confused.gif

#2 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2004 - 07:20 AM

i dont know why people say it takes 3 weeks for a pimple to develop. i think it can actually be just a few days or even less. i've never seen any explanation of how long it takes for a pimple to develop.

that said, the best thing is probably just to alter your entire diet to include only "safe" foods that have not been accused of causing acne. then start adding one new food at a time and see if it breaks you out.

btw, i've made many dietary changes and ive never seen it improve my skin. but i keep an open mind and im always looking for new things to try.

#3 persephone

persephone

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2004 - 04:52 PM

I agree with flipside..I haven't seen any changes in my skin either as a result of dietary changes. I eat relatively healthy anyway. I've also recently cut out caffeine (3 weeks ago) and there's been no noticeable improvement.

However I also believe that it's important for your immune system to eat healthy good foods! Maybe my skin would be alot worse if I pigged on junk foods all the time

#4 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

24 Hour Revenge Therapy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:01 PM

Just try cutting out certain things known to make acne worse, but not too many at once. This way, if you see improvement, you can pinpoint what parts of your diet need to be changed. If something is cut out, and you see no improvement, then go ahead and started eating that particualar food again. It's all trial and error. You might find that diet has no affect on your skin whatsoever. For me, I found that dairy worsened my problems. Once I get totally clear, I plan on trying to ween myself back onto dairy, just to see if what dairy products I can get away with eating.

#5 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:41 PM

24 Hour: That's what I mean - how long would I need to wait before I see whether or not something breaks me out? How will I know if it does or not, and on what timescale? Thanks.

#6 sadcaroline

sadcaroline

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:45 PM

cynic, for me, its almost immediate. for instance, if i eat shrimp one night for supper, the next morning i have new zits from it. so i would say a day or two definitely.

#7 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:46 PM

How do you know it's the food from then and not like something you ate weeks ago?

#8 sadcaroline

sadcaroline

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:22 PM

i am on a special diet, i eat almost the exact same things everyday.. so if i eat soemthing a little different one night, then have a bad breakout the next day, i pretty much know its the new food i added

#9 Makaveli

Makaveli

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2004 - 11:03 PM

After some tampering with food and diet, I can say that it doesn't really make any difference for me.. Was breaking out both with eating whatever I want and omitting "acne prone" foods.. And also having clear periods with eating whatever and omitting acne prone foods.. But I guess it's different for everyone.

#10 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

24 Hour Revenge Therapy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2004 - 11:18 PM

It's probably different for everyone.. but for me, large helpings of dairy take about two and a half days or so to make my breakouts really bad.

#11 Chloe646

Chloe646

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 29 July 2004 - 12:11 AM

Yeah everyone is different: for example, skin could look worse because of stress even if you're eating healthy or your stress levels may be so unusually low that eating some junk food may not have as much of an impact.

i would say you should be able to tell within a couple weeks because then variables such as stress, sleep habits, etc...won't play as big a role to skew the results and make sure you eat a lot of the offending food consistently. I won't get acne from a couple days of some small servings of dairy but if I eat cheese AND drink milk on a regular basis I will get much oilier. iodine has been proven to aggravate acne and it just depends on how you're affected individually in terms of when you'll breakout> acne, like allergies I believe, can be delayed or immediate, it just depends. I don't buy into the notion that every pimple takes three weeks to develop since that does not cover premenstrual breakouts, or stress breakouts right before a big event, etc...

Eliminate ONE thing at a time (easier to do) OR follow a basic diet of lean meat, veggies and fruit, then INTRODUCE the foods such as dairy one at a time, two weeks at a time.

#12 J|ngles

J|ngles

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:11 AM

Stress definitely had a big effect on my skin during exam times, i noticed more outbreaks and dryer skin - normally oily skin should have been expected but i tend to be the opposite.
I've noticed breakouts in hours of getting stressed as i can link it back to a specific event, not sure whether my diet is contributing to the outbreaks but it seems that stress is the common denomonator in these events.

#13 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2004 - 12:48 PM

Makaveli,
Hey, I'm just wondering if you would tell us what foods you tried tapering with. It can be a long and confusing process sometimes or rather "easy". Myself and others didn't get it right first time, second, and even third times we tried it. For others it would be good to now what isn't a problem just as much as it is to know what may be.

Thanks

#14 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2004 - 01:19 PM

I have to say that Ben mentined something that is a bit correct. Most of us have noted breakouts usually within a few days of consuming something, but depending on what you consume..... it could take months to show up!

Chloracne - pesticide induced acne
http://dermnetnz.org.../chloracne.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=12380282
http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=12028151

Yosho - Japanese pesticide induced acne
http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=12916743

I don't know how much you have to eat to get these forms, and I'm sure there's others that produce similar acne-like lesions, but it goes to show that sometimes the fruits, veggies, and even grains that some of us avoid may not be due to direct Allergies, Intolerances, or even Insulin, (GMO?) but due to Chemical Sensitivities to those pesticides sprayed on them or some other chemical (fragrances, oils, preservatives, etc).

That right there may explain such a variance in diets among the boards. When you live in a different region of the country, or in another country, you are exposed to different elements in the environment. Your environment may be healthier in some ways that other regions or countries aren't. Consuming organic foods seem to help some people out and that was the only change they had to make, where as others found that they had to eliminate that food item entirely. Of course, if we are getting our food from other countries that would also lead to a problem.

My friend doesn't get acne, but she's allergic to pineapples if they come from here in the U.S. but if they come from another country (don't recall the name), she doesn't have any reactions. No wonder this can be confusing for some ;-)

#15 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2004 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE(J|ngles @ Jul 29 2004, 07:58 AM)
Stress definitely had a big effect on my skin during exam times, i noticed more outbreaks and dryer skin - normally oily skin should have been expected but i tend to be the opposite.
I've noticed breakouts in hours of getting stressed as i can link it back to a specific event, not sure whether my diet is contributing to the outbreaks but it seems that stress is the common denomonator in these events.

Yeh, same here. I don't have any scientific evidence to back this up, but stress related acne seems to occur more along the nose and forehead than other parts of the face, while hormonal acne occurs along the jawline and chin. Thats the way it has been in my case anyway.

That being said, I've definnitely noted an increase in skin oiliness and acne resulting from that in the past from taking strong stimulants (like super doses of caffeine, adderall and ephedrine for the purpose of waking up or getting that perked up feeling) in the past, and noted that acne in those areas i mentioned stopped appearing upon cessation.

#16 gerardo

gerardo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2004 - 03:47 PM

i started driking soy milk after going into a vegan diet and it actually made my skin problems worse... and i started getting cystic lessions which i've never had before.
tofu does not any good either... so i guess my skin reacts violently to some, if not all soy products.. ALL bread causes my skin to break out in a matter of hours... but the worse thing ever is boxed cereal... i've had quaker cereal and kellog's and i get this "weird" unpleasant feeling in my stomach right after eating it... and a couple of hours after i can see some bumps in my cheeks and forehead starting to form...
so i gave up all grain products which is painful cause' i just love bread...
potatoes are another one... every time i eat potatoes even if i eat a little i get an acid stomach and some pimples (on the forehead) the day after...
anyways... i've found that a frutarian diet (at least 80% of the time or so) make my skin clear in about a week... with the help of loreal's pure zone which has proven to be the best acne treatment for me... it not only makes my skin clear... i makes it look so clean and smooth

i also love garlic and ginger and all things spicy but i'm not sure about those... anyone read about that? cause' i'd love to have some black pepper and garlic with my avocado

thanks

Gerardo *

#17 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2004 - 04:02 PM

It is impossible for anything to break you out in a matter of hours of overnight. Impossible. It takes signifiganitly longer than that for the immune system to interact with p.acne, and for a resulting whitehead or blackhead to appear on the surface.

#18 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2004 - 04:09 PM

I agree with the last post but some people can be allergic and break out in response to a food. My father has long told me how he's allergic to citric acid and within 30 minutes of eating an orange, he'd have hives on his arm.

#19 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2004 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE(gerardo @ Aug 2 2004, 02:34 PM)
i also love garlic and ginger and all things spicy but i'm not sure about those... anyone read about that? cause' i'd love to have some black pepper and garlic with my avocado

Hi Gerardo,

Some people say that spicy foods can break them out - however, I've never noticed anything like this with myself. I don't see how/why garlic or ginger could aggravate acne personally. My advice would be therefore would be - 'enjoy'. smile.gif

I might be wrong, but I don't think I am on this one. :wink: Personally the only thing I'd watch out for with garlic is if I was eating garlic butter, because I think there is a link between dairy products and acne, but even so, it's hardly going to be a significant amount you're eating - so I don't think it'll be a problem myself.

Hope this helps.

#20 euro18

euro18

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2004 - 04:28 PM

garlic and spicy foods break me out because I have a weak digestive system. Listen to your body after you eat certain foods - it will tell you it tolerates them or not.