Photo

Tree23's Journey to health

garlic green smoothie red tea probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#41 tree23

tree23

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:14 PM

Note for myself:
122 days since starting accutane.
Suddenly in the last week or two I have gone from pretty normal color to SERIOUS fucking redface.
I have been under extreme stress and abusing too many stimulants and diet has been shitty.
Off to read more about redness, and figure out what the hell I'm gonna do.

#42 tree23

tree23

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:49 PM

I can't really find any good info on redness.

My very uninformed entirely guesswork reasoning for why my face is suddenly red is that I have been under constant stress and not relaxed, which causes the sympathetic nervous system to be overactive - always in fight or flight mode. Blood flows away from the digestive system and blood vessels dilate, and when that happens in the face, it equals redness. If this makes any sense at all, then I need to fucking relax, and cool it on the stimulants, which by this theory would make redness worse. How the shitty diet plays in, I have no idea. But I'm sure it doesn't help.

I guess for now I'm going to add in a serious amount of green juice, green smoothies, green vibrance, lemon juice tea, and take my probiotics.
Try not to use too hot water in the shower, and only let cool water on my face.
Cut caffeine down. Keep my small morning cup of coffee but no more coffee throughout the day.
Try. To. Stay. Calm.

#43 tree23

tree23

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:03 PM

State of skin: reddish, pale, lots of PIH, still clear of cysts or anything major but some clogged pores hanging out in the usual spots. I just dont have that 'radiant' or 'vibrant' skin that I dream of. I know I shouldn't expect it on accutane, but once I am not on these ridiculous drying skin-thinning and sensitizing pills I sure hope I can gain a healthier look. I'm asking for a juicer for christmas, which will be right about the time I am done. That oughta give my skin a boost. I also realized I haven't been consuming much oil lately - just a little coconut oil here and there and hardly ever olive oil. I know I need to up these a little bit and start eating more fatty fish again. Its so hard to find time to prepare food right now. Tonight I didn't even have a real dinner. I'm just munching on some watermelon to hold me over to the morning. I feel like a robot with my current work-school-homework-repeat schedule.

Accutane: no idea what day this is. I should have started month 5 pills, but I haven't finished month 4 pills yet. I haven't been taking the pills every single day, sometimes because I completely forgot, and other times because I say fuck it, I need a break. My lips are now unbearably dry, constantly chapped, cracked, occasionally bleeding.
I don't know if I should slow the pills down to every other day for the rest of the time, to reduce the side effects, or if I should just take them and get it over with sooner. I can't wait to be done.

So last few days and from now on - my green smoothers are much GREENER smoothies. I realized I wasn't using that much green stuff. This past week, I've tried making various green smoothies with way more kale, chard, and spinach than I've ever used before, and I am amazed at just how much more greens I can add and still make a decent tasting smoothie. I also bought some lemons to do the lemon juice tea thing in the morning again, only for a week or two. I don't wanna rot my teeth out or anything....

edit - I think this is day 135 since starting, and I've taken about 112 pills??

Edited by tree23, 06 October 2010 - 08:05 PM.

#44 tree23

tree23

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:17 PM

Day 159 of accutane
I haven't been remembering to take the pills... been averaging a pill every other day. My skin is doing fine though.

Also, I will have a juicer soooooon! I want to do a complete juice fast for a few days whenever I get it, or maybe another raw week but this time I can make juice a major part of it. I am so excited! I drink juices occasionally now, but daily green juices would just be awesome.

#45 tree23

tree23

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:21 PM

Day 172 since starting accutane...
I have been really bad about taking the pills. I think I just missed 3 or 4 days in a row.
Skin is overall clear and dry. A few weird little things here and there that I wouldn't call pimples. Some days I think the PIH isn't so bad, others I think its awful. I am going to take a new picture soon so I can see the changes over the next few weeks/months.

I just got my juicer!!! I am probably expecting more than I should from it, but I really think my marks will heal faster with me drinking fresh juice every day. I think my skin in general - not just as far as acne/PIH - but just overall will look better, and my immune system is gonna kick ass. I already barely get sick.

So far I made:
cilantro-carrot-kale-spinach-celery juice
beet-carrot-ginger-pomegranate juice
'green lemonade' - kale, spinach, cucumber, lemon, apple
carrot-kale-cilantro-spinach-parsley juice

I was going to ease into the juicing - I read it can be kind of shocking for the body to go from the occasional veggie juice to 3 a day. Its just too cool having this thing in my house though. I've had it barely 24 hours, and I made all those juices!

#46 tree23

tree23

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:57 AM

I think.. I OD'd on vegetables.

Yesterday I either experienced horrible detox symptoms, or I was sick. I drank all those juices with things that are especially good for liver cleansing (and other things too, but esp. the liver) and I think it was just too much. I was sick, nauseous, weak and tired, had a pounding headache so bad I started to imagine blood vessels bursting in my brain and me dying..hahah. That might be extreme, but I rarely get headaches so when I do its frightening.

I didn't get anything done that I wanted to, but at least today its gone. I'm not going to allow myself to drink so much juice for the next few days or week.
I read, and was told, not to jump into it to quickly. I KNEW I should let my body get used to it, but its just too much fun using the juicer.

#47 tree23

tree23

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:08 PM

I made it through another semester.. and now I have a couple weeks with LOTS of free time. I got a little stressed out at the end of the semester (maybe more than a little stressed out) and now I am trying to detox from it. I have been doing pretty good. 8-9 hours of sleep every night. Lots of fresh produce. I want to exercise a lot over the break.. the cold is making it difficult right now though.

Heres what I've been doing lately:
*making what I like to think of as my 'beauty juice' every couple days: cucumber, celery, apple, lemon, and either kale, collard, or spinach.
*drinking more tea and less coffee.
*eating lots of curries (no dairy!)
*trying to eat lots of vitamin c - organic strawberries, bell peppers, mango, broccoli, etc.
*trying to eat more mushrooms
*buying mostly organic meat (chicken always organic, steak mostly organic, lamb... they don't sell organic)

I haven't really been eating nuts or seeds. I want to pick up some sunflower seeds, pumpkn seeds, brazil nuts, and almonds. I will only eat a little of those at a time.

Also want to make more lentils and beans. Maybe in a soup?? I'm not sure, but I have lots of time to experiment right now!

acne: nothing active, plenty of marks still fading. Still on accutane, but I haven't been taking it regularly and I'm going to completely stop taking it sometime soon.

#48 tree23

tree23

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:58 AM

I have had a really good week.
I ran/jogged/walked 3.3 miles on... Sunday?
played tennis on Monday
Ran/jogged/walked 3.3 miles again yesterday.

I've been eating lots of nutritious stuff too.
Yesterday I had a cucumber/celery/kale/apple/lemon juice.
The day before I had something similar.

I also found a vegan stuffed mushroom recipe - you make the stuffing from the mushroom stems, olive oil, red and white onion, garlic, bread crumbs (just a little), and fresh basil. They are absolutely delicious, and way more healthy than the bacon and cream cheese recipe i know...I am going to make a few more today, and next time I go shopping I'm going to also get green onions to add to this recipe.

I made really tasty salted and garlic-black pepper pumpkin seeds, and delicious lentils using just a half a cup of lentils and a whole box of frozen chopped spinach, and lots of seasoning of course. I am definitely making that again, and going to experiment with adding other things into the lentils and spinach, like carrots, and... i dont know what. Maybe peppers.

Right now I'm having a SMALL green juice with cilantro. I know I went a little too crazy with the cilantro/beets/lemons when I first got the juicer and it made me sick. The cilantro is good for binding heavy metals though, and I think I could use as much detoxing before and after christmas as I can get. So 1 little cup of cilantro green juice. I also am going to make a curry for one meal today (with mushrooms, broccoli, bell pepper, any other fresh veggies I have in there) and beets/onions/eggs for another meal.
yum yum!

I have been stretching and doing some yoga stuff throughout the days, and overall I just feel gooooood! Its so easy to be healthy when I have all this free time to get outside and prepare nice meals.

#49 tree23

tree23

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:03 PM

Possibilities...
Graduate next semester w/ BA in psychology. Get in the rest of the pre-med classes, hope like hell its good enough. Can apply to med school but if I don't get in I'm screwed because I won't have a science degree.

Graduate 3 semesters from now with double major. BA in psych and BS in environmental sci. Include the rest of the pre-med classes along the way. Have the option to either apply to med school or go on with environmental science.

Graduate next semester w/ BA in psych, switch schools and get BS in biology and finish pre-med classes along the way.

Graduate in 2 semesters with BA in psych and some type of science minor. I don't know if thats possible though.

Do I want to be an environmental scientist? or a doctor? or a scientist? or a fricken doctor?? or a biologist??? I do not know!
I think I want to be a doctor. but I just. don't. know.

I know I want a baby, and a family. And I want to help the world and help people as much as I can while I'm here.

I am so stressed out wacko.gif
Can I just start college over!?!??!?!!!!!!!??????????

I am trying to be super healthy, not stressed, so my skin can heal and look healthy. This stress is sure as hell not helping.

#50 tree23

tree23

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:51 PM

I forgot to take my accutane, and birth control, for like a week. I am calling this the end of accutane treatment. I also dyed my hair red... the WORST color to go with acne or facial redness, so I am ready to let my skin heal from accutane. I thought I should wait a month or two, so my face was less red. It really isn't that red though. It definitely isn't permanently red any more, I am just prone to flushing and occasioanlly become red. I have been surprised a lot lately when I look into the mirror and see that my skin is becoming kind of, ... normal? I can't even tell if I look normal, or red, or splotchy sometimes. I am so used to having uneven skin that doesn't match the rest of my body. I almost can't believe that my skin could look normal. I went out this morning to get coffee and hair dye with no make-up on. I wouldn't do this if I expected to run into anyone I know, but hey I used to not do that at ALL. Yes I am on my way to living like a normal human being... hahaha. kind of.

The redness that I do get is especially bad after hot showers, so if I could just stop using hot water on my face, I think my skin would stay normal color. Its so hard to limit hot water when its so so so cold out. Its cold even inside.

#51 tree23

tree23

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

dear my almost 2000 anonymous lurkers,
I'm done with this log. I am finished with accutane, my diet has been drastically changed since I began reading these forums/working in a health food store/starting this log. My skin problems have changed as well. Now I am concerned about red marks more than pimples, though I will continue to eat as healthy as I can to try and prevent acne returning.
I just feel its time for a new log. This one was never organized and sometimes I rambled about random things, so I am going to start a new log and try to make it more of a log....