Photo

Lithium-induced acne log

vitamin d vitamin b vitamin b1 vitamin b2 vitamin b12 folic acid calcium selenium aha alpha hydroxy acid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#21 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:35 PM

I'm adding in Dan's (new) moisturizer and some jojoba oil. I used jojoba oil a long time ago, and I couldn't tell if it broke me out more, but I know it definitely was one of few products that didn't irritate my face, so I'm trying it again.

Once it comes in the mail, I'm also switching from AG to M.D. Forte Cleanser II. They're similar in ingredients, but the makers of M.D. Forte are more upfront about the product's pH and percentage of glycolic "compound".

#22 Lemon Co

Lemon Co

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:25 PM

I don't drink milk.
But I find it difficult for me to give up glutens and beef.
I know there are hormones in the meats.
But..How can I give up rice and noodles? ;__;
That's like giving up being asian. xP

I hope you have the best of skin in the near future! Good luck! smile.gif

#23 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:31 AM

QUOTE (Julie Huynh @ Oct 27 2010, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't drink milk.
But I find it difficult for me to give up glutens and beef.
I know there are hormones in the meats.
But..How can I give up rice and noodles? ;__;
That's like giving up being asian. xP

I hope you have the best of skin in the near future! Good luck! smile.gif

Oh I haven't given up gluten! I have a couple boxes of pure wheat gluten (flour) in my cupboard because wheat gluten can make a nice meat substitute. Vegans just don't eat any animal products. Wheat is fine.

The way I gave up beef (I never liked it that much, though) was by picturing cows in cramped, nasty conditions and the actual part where they slit the cows' throats. Or when the bolt is shot into a cow's head. Graphic and effective. I don't know if that'd help you, though.

Do you think abstaining from milk has helped your acne?

Thanks!

#24 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:34 AM

I woke up with a lot less inflammation today. Hopefully this keeps up. I'm putting Dan's moisturizer under my sunscreen in case that's what helped with the inflammation. I always get more inflamed as the day goes on, and it'd be nice if something could prevent that.

#25 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:41 PM

I wanted to take a medication variable out, so I switched to the Acne.org Cleanser instead of the M.D. Forté.

I was recently in the hospital, so I didn't get to wash my face much/didn't have the right supplies for eight days, but my face doesn't seem much worse.

As a result of that hospitalization, I'm on a higher dose of lithium. Bring on the higher dose of acne.

#26 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:43 AM

My skin is really clearing up.

I think the Paula's Choice sunscreen further inflames my acne, so I'm trying Olay Complete All Day UV Moisturizer, Sensitive Skin, Classic Gentle Formula. So far it at least doesn't inflame my acne.

Edited by Addie, 19 November 2010 - 08:41 AM.

#27 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:23 AM

This regimen seems to really be working. I'm almost clear. I think it might be around another month before I know if the increased lithium will be affecting my acne, though.

I posted a detailed account of my regimen here.

Edited by Addie, 21 November 2010 - 07:26 AM.

#28 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:01 AM

I'm breaking out a little. I blame lithium and/or stress. Who exactly to blame depends on how long it lasts. There is a cyst over where my adam's apple would be if I were a guy. Weird.

#29 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:15 AM

I'm trying something new:. I put a little less BHA in my palm, but apply two coats. I can get more BHA on without spilling it everywhere. Let's see how this goes.

Extraneous note: I just bought more than $75 worth of BHA. That's when you know you're an addict.

#30 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:37 AM

So far with the extra BHA, my face is little drier after I cleanse. That breakout is also clearing up nicely.

#31 radiobrain

radiobrain

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:27 PM

Hello!

I just wanted to say that I just came across your posts and I have to commend you for sticking with everything. I am a vegetarian and also suffered from dreadful lithium acne - so I feel we have a lot in common!

Unfortunately, my acne was so intense and life-altering that I had to stop taking lithium. But congrats to you for sticking with it and doing your best to clear up your skin. Anyway, just wanted to say there are others out there like you, and I wish you the best!

#32 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (radiobrain @ Nov 27 2010, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello!

I just wanted to say that I just came across your posts and I have to commend you for sticking with everything. I am a vegetarian and also suffered from dreadful lithium acne - so I feel we have a lot in common!

Unfortunately, my acne was so intense and life-altering that I had to stop taking lithium. But congrats to you for sticking with it and doing your best to clear up your skin. Anyway, just wanted to say there are others out there like you, and I wish you the best!

Thank you! It's great to hear from somebody else who has dealt with this stuff. biggrin.gif

#33 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:40 AM

As long as I follow my regimen to the letter, I stay pretty darn clear!

#34 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:27 AM

Paula's Choice uses animal ingredients, including lanolin, beeswax, cholesterol, and cartilage, in their products. These aren't in any of the products I'm using, but I've decided to try to get away from them anyway.

The Olay sunscreen kept burning my eyes, so now I'm trying Goddess Garden Natural Sunscreen. It's SPF 30 and contains 6% of both titanium and zinc oxide. I'm using a little less than a quarter-sized amount on my face because I don't need SPF 30 right now, and I don't want a white cast. This sunscreen has multiple oils in it, but is possibly the least greasy sunscreen I've tried. The only problem is that it doesn't play well with others. I can't use anything under it during the day.

Since I'm not longer going to use PC's BHA, and I want to buy from a quality, vegan company, which Dan's company is, I plan on using the DKR AHA+ instead of BHA, except only at night because of my new sunscreen.

All of this is putting up a pretty weak fight against acne, so I've also decided to test if I still have an allergy to BP. I don't have a life-threatening reaction, just a quite uncomfortable one, so it's worth a try. I ordered a travel-size of Dan's BP and plan on trying a quarter of a (small) finger of it at night followed by moisturizer and jojoba oil, but no AHA just yet.

Edited by Addie, 28 January 2011 - 06:36 AM.

#35 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:27 AM

First night with BP down. No allergic reaction. It took a couple days of treatment for the reaction happen last time, though.

Edited by Addie, 28 January 2011 - 06:36 AM.

#36 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:45 AM

Holy cow, if you google "lithium-induced acne log," this is the first hit. If you google "lithium-induced acne," this is the fourth hit.

#37 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

I found an article that may be of interest:

Successful Treatment of Lithium-induced Acne

The Journal of clinical psychiatry, 1986 Jan; 47(1): 48

It's a letter to the editor, and in it, a psychiatrist reports on a patient whose cystic acne was exacerbated by lithium, even to the point that she discontinued lithium by herself because of it. Tetracycline (an antibiotic) was helpful for her acne before she was on lithium, but was ineffective after. However once she tried retinoic acid (brand name Retin-A, a retinoid), her acne cleared up.

This actually lines up with my experience. Minocycline (another antibiotic) didn't do much for my acne on lithium, but Tazorac (another retinoid) did.

#38 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:05 AM

No allergic reaction yet. I tried BP under my sunscreen, and the sunscreen didn't ball up, so I'm actually going to apply it twice a day.

Edit: My face is basically clear, by the way. I have some body acne, but I haven't been trying to treat it. I just started using AHA+ on my back and chest last night.

Edited by Addie, 28 January 2011 - 06:12 AM.

#39 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:21 AM

No allergic reaction yet. Actually there's not much normal redness, peeling, or itching either. I'm a little dry, but not very.

#40 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:14 AM

I'm experiencing some slight dryness. There is also some transient redness immediately following application of BP, but it's gone within an hour. Nothing to write home about.