Photo

Omit these from your diet for clear skin

vitamin vitamins omega-3 rosacea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#21 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 31 July 2004 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(Keats @ Jul 27 2004, 12:43 PM)
The overproduction of hormones should easily be taken care of by your body (mainly liver). But when you are exposed to a lot of stress, toxity (by food intake, radiation, etc), your liver is gonna act strangely.

How do you define the "overproduction" of hormones?
Who wants to be normal? Who wants normal results? We want to be exceptional. Exceptions confirm what is not normal

#22 Chloe646

Chloe646

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2004 - 10:49 AM

Euro18: I'm not talking about modern europe necessarily, they've adapted to more western type eating lately. it's true that you could eat more healthilyas well in rural US if you lived off the land...but I meant the europe of MY PARENTS GENERATION in which people farmed their own food and wholsome food was more readily available: i actually have travelled and again, i was not talking about modern euro countries although the food quality in europe where I've been surpasses the US, europe also has far stricter food regulations and you can get raw milk there legally. I mentioned eastern europe specifically as an example not a broad statment to exclude other regions, (it's simply because that's where my parents are from and acne was practically unheard of in their youth)>my mom by the way has never had acne and my dad whose had some acne has zero scars...basically I'm pretty sure my genes were not the primary reason i had acne or got scars it was diet>ever since changing my diet, I've barely gotten a pimple but I still have to deal with these awful scars>everyone else in my family, who's mostly abroad has pretty perfect skin unfortunately I was the dumbass eating american food and soy garbage...So unless I inherited skin from some person a whole bunch of generations removed from me...looks like diet
The warmth of the sun reminds her of the day-she remembers the day when things were going her way-only memories remain-of the way she used to be-She stays home every night and exaggerates her past..all the old photographs were never thrown away-what made her cry-she'll never go back again-the way she used to be

#23 loki

loki

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2004 - 11:40 AM

perhaps we should all starve ourselves to death

#24 Keats

Keats

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2004 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE(Sam The Man @ Jul 31 2004, 09:51 AM)
The overproduction of hormones should easily be taken care of by your body (mainly liver). But when you are exposed to a lot of stress, toxity (by food intake, radiation, etc), your liver is gonna act strangely.

Hormonal imbalance, when you get too many androgenic hormones and your oil glands get forced to produce way too much sebum. Your liver is the organ which should keep the hormones in balance. Thats what i meant by it smile.gif

#25 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2004 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE(Keats @ Aug 1 2004, 07:31 PM)
Hormonal imbalance, when you get too many androgenic hormones and your oil glands get forced to produce way too much sebum. Your liver is the organ which should keep the hormones in balance. Thats what i meant by it smile.gif

And how exactly does the liver do this? If my testicles produce "too much" testosterone, how does the liver reduce it? And as I've understand this, it's the skin cells that produce too much DHT, not so much the amount of testosterone in the blood. My testosterone levels for example are in the normal range, if they are reduced, that will cause problems. My problem is in the skin (in my face only), it produces too much DHT from a "normal" amount of testosterone. Does that make sense? :think:
Who wants to be normal? Who wants normal results? We want to be exceptional. Exceptions confirm what is not normal

#26 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2004 - 10:57 AM

Fake science.

Show me a real doctor who claims acne is caused by a liver not clearing up hormones.

#27 Keats

Keats

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2004 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Aug 1 2004, 10:44 AM)
Fake science.

Show me a real doctor who claims acne is caused by a liver not clearing up hormones.

your problem

#28 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2004 - 01:04 PM

In the absence of scientific data, just badmouth peer review.

Effective. Thanks, Keats.

#29 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2004 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE(Sam The Man @ Aug 1 2004, 09:44 AM)
QUOTE(Keats @ Aug 1 2004, 07:31 PM)

And how exactly does the liver do this? If my testicles produce "too much" testosterone, how does the liver reduce it? And as I've understand this, it's the skin cells that produce too much DHT, not so much the amount of testosterone in the blood. My testosterone levels for example are in the normal range, if they are reduced, that will cause problems. My problem is in the skin (in my face only), it produces too much DHT from a "normal" amount of testosterone. Does that make sense? :think:

Erm, DHT is not produced in the skin that I am aware of. There are differing sensitivities of androgen receptors in the skin, which will cause some people to be more prone to breakouts than others.
before you judge me take a look at you
can't you find something better to do
point the finger, slow to understand
arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand

- Metallica, "holier than thou"

#30 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2004 - 02:08 PM

Sam, Ben, etc

OK, you can have normal Total Testosterone levels, but a high Free Androgen/Testosterone level. Do you know what your Free Testosterone levels are? You can also have high DHEA levels and both of these can convert into DHT in the skin (only 20% of DHT is produced in the blood, the rest is on target tissues).

Our livers are responsible for these conversions. If it is functioning normally then it theoretically would produce the correct amount of enzymes neccessary to produce the above, along with other steriod hormones, thyroid hormones, and adrenal hormones. It would also produce the enzymes neccessary to break down or detoxify these hormones so that they don't recirculate back into our blood stream.

Now, we can also have more specific problems if our androgen receptors, adrenal gland, or our gonads DEMANDING more production of steriod hormones then the liver will also oblige them. These are due to sensitivity or overstimulation, whereby there is some other enzyme/gene defect that is manifesting itself here. Since our livers are still responsible for the steriod hormone enzymes, it will respond to these glands request so that they can produce more.

Another example is inability to produce sufficient Sex Hormone Binding Globulin protein (SHBG). The liver produces this protein and it's responsible for binding Free Testosterone, so that there's less of it to be converted into DHT. If you lack this, then you can have a variety of hormonal symptoms, very much so including acne. This is how Estrogen in Birth Control works, this is how Avandia (an Insulin Sensitizer) works, this is how using Low Carbohydrate diets (some more than others) also works....and even Exercise (may be more so for women).

Acne sufferers, among other types of diseases, are supposed to lack is Glutathione. This is what the body and liver needs in order to detoxfy itself. It reduces IGF-1 (Insulin-like Growth factor-1, stimulates growth) so that cell apoptosis (death) can occur, very handy when dealing with excess sebum production, skin cell proliferation, tumors, or cancers.

Another thing we are said to lack is Vitamin A or more specificially 13-cis-retinioic acid (in our skin). Well the liver is also responsible for metabolizing Vitamin A, and yes you can have an enzyme deficiency which prevents the conversiono of Vitamin A into 13-cis-retinoic acid, or "natural accutane". Since Zinc plays a role here, this may be another reason why it's supplementation can be so helpful for some suffferers.

Another handy process is Glucuronidiation. I'm not sure how many forms there are, but there are specific supplements that will boose estrogen elimination for those males (and females prone to estrogen-induced cancers) that don't want it. I'm trying to find out if theres specific ones that will eliminate excess active testostesterone.

There's a variety of ways that our liver participates in hormonal process via enzyme production. What I'm looking for more specificically is for a Type I 17beta HSD inhibitor (this would breakdown active estrogens and testosterones into their less active forms). I know that Spironolactone is a Type II 17beta HSD inhibitor and as such it actually boosts active forms of estrogen and testosterone, but blocks DHT from binding to androgen receptors at the same time.

Here's something from diagnostic lab that hospitals all over the U.S., including mine, use for blood work:

Frequently Asked Questions
Toxic Waste in Your Body?
Chronic health problems can develop from your body's impaired detoxification ability. Uncover the link between your symptoms and your liver function.

What role does the liver play in detoxification? The liver is a key organ in your body's self-defense system. It changes, or detoxifies, many harmful substances into forms which your body can safely eliminate.

How do these toxins get into the body?
In today's world of processed foods and pollution, toxic substances exist almost everywhere. They are in the food you eat, the water you drink (from fertilizers, chemicals and other additives such as colorings and preservatives), and the air you breathe (from automobile emissions, pesticides and industrial pollutants). Some of the body's own compounds must be detoxified as well.

How does the liver detoxify substances?
A healthy liver uses two mechanisms, called Phase I and Phase II detoxification, to remove toxins. In Phase I, your body's enzymes activate toxic substances to make them more accessible to Phase II. In Phase II, other enzymes convert toxins to more water-soluble forms, which your body eliminates through urine or stool.

What happens during impaired liver detoxification?
An unhealthy liver does not detoxify substances as rapidly or as completely as a healthy liver. Slower detoxification results in more toxic substances circulating in the body. Unchanged or partially changed toxins are not easily eliminated and instead pass from the liver into the body. Eventually, the toxins are stored in fatty body tissue, including the brain and central nervous system cells. Stored toxins may be slowly released into the blood, contributing to many chronic illnesses.

How is liver function damaged?
A number of conditions affect how well the liver performs its detoxifying duties. Repeated exposure to chemicals and toxins in food, water and the environment increases the detoxification burden.

If you have a "leaky gut," your intestine allows large, undigested molecules to pass into the body. Increased amounts of toxic substances can travel through the liver and overload its capacity to detoxify them.

How is liver function measured?

One method to assess the liver's detoxifying ability is to examine the overall state of your health. Toxic substances are contributing factors in a wide range of health problems.

You may have heard of several different liver tests (such as liver enzyme analysis) which look for clinical evidence of existing liver damage. Standard "liver function" tests measure levels of enzymes such as SGOT and SGTT. Unfortunately, by the time these tests register "abnormal," liver damage is already present.

A definitive assessment of function can be made using the Detoxification Profile. This test uses common substances to challenge the liver's detoxification ability using urine and saliva samples. You simply swallow the tablets, collect urine and saliva specimens, and return the test kit to Great Smokies Diagnostic Laboratory. The specimens are analyzed, and the results are sent to your health care professional. The specific results can be used to develop a treatment plan. In addition to detoxification testing, your health care professional may want to test your level of oxidative stress. Impaired liver function can lead to higher levels of free radicals, substances in the blood which have been linked to chronic illness. Analysis of a blood and/or urine sample provides important information about damage resulting from a dysfunctional liver.
How can I get a Detoxification Profile? Talk to your health care professional about your symptoms and ask if a Detoxification Profile from Great Smokies Diagnostic Laboratory would be useful for you. Your body's natural self-defense system may be overwhelmed by toxins in food, water and air. Take this quiz to determine your level of toxic exposure and its effect on your body.

Do you use tobacco products such as cigarettes, cigars or chewing tobacco?
Do you live or work with someone who smokes in your presence?
Are you often exposed to automobile exhaust fumes?
Do you live or work in a building that has new carpeting, paint or furniture that may be giving off odors or gases?
Have you ever used toxic chemicals such as insect sprays or herbicides at home or at work?
Do you have one or more alcoholic drinks per week?
Have you taken prescription drugs two or more times in the past year?
Do you often eat meat grilled over a charcoal fire?
Do you suffer from gastrointestinal problems?
Do you have allergies, sinus problems or joint pain?
Are you frequently tired from a normal day's activity?
If you answered Yes to two or more of these questions, you may be reacting to increased toxic exposure and burdening your body's detoxification ability.

http://www.gsdl.com/...ents/detox/faq/

I could go on, but what's the point. If people want to eliminate certain foods to improve the livers burden (among other reasons) or they want to detoxfiy, cleanse, or flush theirs so be it. As long as its done safely and they are achieving results that's what matters. Hopefully everyone here will find their answers =)
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#31 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2004 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE(Keats @ Aug 1 2004, 09:31 AM)
QUOTE(Sam The Man @ Jul 31 2004, 09:51 AM)

I have never seen anyone "over-produce" androgens.....ever - the range considered normal for androgen production is quite large. I think the bigger culprit is receptor affinity for androgens in some individuals.

I'm sure that some are hyperandrogenic, but its pretty rare from what i've seen.
before you judge me take a look at you
can't you find something better to do
point the finger, slow to understand
arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand

- Metallica, "holier than thou"

#32 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2004 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE(evigrex @ Aug 1 2004, 10:48 PM)
Erm, DHT is not produced in the skin that I am aware of.   There are differing sensitivities of androgen receptors in the skin, which will cause some people to be more prone to breakouts than others.

Ok, I was under the impression that testosterone was converted to DHT in the pilosebaceous unit

#33 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2004 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Aug 1 2004, 10:55 PM)
Sam, Ben, etc

OK, you can have normal Total Testosterone levels, but a high Free Androgen/Testosterone level.  Do you know what your Free Testosterone levels are? 

No, but I'm definately going to get those tests done.

#34 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2004 - 02:50 PM

Keats,
How people can walk around constipated and not understand that is not normal and a problem is beyond me. I've run into people on these boards that were constipated and some also had various health problems, along with their acne.

Some of them read the information that others, including myself. posted and decided to do something about it:

Some increased their fiber intake (some did that with whole grains or a fiber supplement).

Others changed their diets more drastically.

A few went to the doctor and got medications.

You know what happened? Most of these people eliminated their acne by just changing that factor. Even the ones that took medication for constipation or Irritable Bowel Syndrome found that most of their acne disppeared. Fascinating isn't it?

Heck, even animals in the wild understand that if they can't avoid eating toxic leaves or have parasites (their unhealthy looking coats show it), that they can eat certain other plants or use clay to detoxfy their bodies afterwards. Yet, why do some humans feel that we are above this?
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#35 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2004 - 03:06 PM

Sam,
Definately do so and share those results with us. I would like to say though that when we talk about Normal, it is really a set of referance ranges. Every lab has a different set (so please mention the range when you post results). Along with this set you can say that there is a Low-normal, Mid-normal, and High-normal range.

For example a Referance range may be 5 - 20 for something. If you are in the low-normal your body may not run as well. If you are in the High-normal end that may be too much for your body to handle also (sensitivity issues). So while you can have "normal" levels, they may be higher or lower over the years due to varying factors. Of course this would apply more specficially to certain hormones, enzymes etc over others, but it can be a concern.

Take care

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#36 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2004 - 07:21 PM

I cited a source already in 2 other threads that showed that science proved that constipation has little more than a placebo effect on general health (outside of really severe constipation). Doctors, even in 1920, found that they could cause the brain to falsely trigger constipation "symptoms" (dry mouth, etc...) by stuffing the anus with cotton. It's all in your head.

#37 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2004 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Aug 2 2004, 09:08 AM)
Doctors, even in 1920, found that they could cause the brain to falsely trigger constipation "symptoms" (dry mouth, etc...) by stuffing the anus with cotton.

i dont mean to be so anal, but the source you cited referred to the rectum. (the anus and rectum are separate parts)

:ph34r:

#38 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2004 - 09:29 PM

Oh alright.

Thanks.

#39 Keats

Keats

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2004 - 03:48 AM

QUOTE(SweetJade1980 @ Aug 1 2004, 02:37 PM)
Keats,
    How people can walk around constipated and not understand that is not normal and a problem is beyond me.  I've run into people on these boards that were constipated and some also had various health problems, along with their acne. 

Some of them read the information that others, including myself. posted and decided to do something about it:

Some increased their fiber intake (some did that with whole grains or a fiber supplement). 

Others changed their diets more drastically. 

A few went to the doctor and got medications. 

You know what happened?  Most of these people eliminated their acne by just changing that factor.  Even the ones that took medication for constipation or Irritable Bowel Syndrome found that most of their acne disppeared. Fascinating isn't it?

Heck, even animals in the wild understand that if they can't avoid eating toxic leaves or have parasites (their unhealthy looking coats show it), that they can eat certain other plants or use clay to detoxfy their bodies afterwards.  Yet, why do some humans feel that we are above this?

Hi SweetJade, I started having very bad acne when i was 17. When I was 18 I have done a accutane course of 8 months. Acne was completely gone and I had a very clear skin.

Just another 8 months later, my acne slowly reappeared. It took about 3months when it got back to the old level (so in total 11months, almost a year). I went to the dermatologist and asked for another accutane course. He gave me one for 6months.

Then again, the same thing happend; 6months later the acne came back. So I went AGAIN to the dermatologist and he prescribed another accutane course (#3!!)

Now, during these accutane period, spider veins appeared all over my feet. This is VERY abnormal for such a young and even male person (I am only 21). So I went to the derm again and told him about the veins.

He said he didnt have an explanation for them to occur and said such young male persons as me shouldnt have that. Its not normal.

Okay, hearing its not normal from several doctors (I went to more)... ok I know its not normal by now, give me the damn explanation/cause for it... but no one could answer that one.

So I went searching searching and searching all over the internet, till I came across sites like curezone and sensiblehealth. I never had any idea of the intense functions of organs and processes in the human body, like the exact job of the liver and that actually most organs co-orporate and sometimes fullfill each other jobs.

I have asked sensiblehealth for the explanation of the occurence of the spider veins on my feet (which has gotten worse all the time) and they actually told me this:

As you probably know, spider veins are basically the result of poor blood
circulation in the vein. You have to improve your blood circulation.

There are two ways to improve blood circulation. They are: blood cleansing
and exercise. Clean blood is lighter and flows better. The only way to have
clean blood is to cleanse your liver, gallbladder and kidneys.

I actually discovered that my acne was mainly also the cause of not proper functioning of these organs.

So I started making changes in my diet and I started using ACV 2 times a day, and another tincture which is very very effective in cleansing liver/gallbladder, it promotes digestion and boosts the liver.

Till now it works pretty well. I am very glaid that I have found the root cause of these 2 problems. Concerning the acne; I havent even noticed 1 pimple in these 3months. I have just added it to my daily program.

I want to do liver flushes soon, but I think they are not really necessary in my case as long as I stick to this program. I know the good benefits of liver flushes, I might need the boost in my immune system, but somehow I am a bit scared for performing it. There are so many different recipes for liver flushes, that I have lost my faith in which one will definately work.

#40 BomberMan

BomberMan

He might get the ace or the top one,So organise your two's a

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2004 - 11:56 AM

lol @ this topic
Everyone is different, different people have different triggers for acne some have none atall.
I think that if you go around skimping on the fruit and veg eating loads of biscuits and chocolate all the time and drinking 5 cans of coke per day then your asking for trouble but like many people here have said - everything in moderation.
Personally i find that drinking nothing but water or fruit juice and eating "natural" food with the odd treat here or there helps alot.
my main triggers are caffeine alcohol and fast food, nothing else....
Whoever said alcohol is good for acne- you are a fool.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."- Adam Savage