Posted 25 July 2004 - 02:55 AM
The following information is an excerpt from
A Guide To Beautiful Skin by D. Baron/Copyright 2004
Avoiding skin irritants will greatly improve the appearance and clarity of your skin. The following is a list of skin irritants to avoid because they are known to cause acne and skin problems.
1. Iodine causes severe acne to form. It is found in regular table salt, sea salt, and multivitamins. It is also a major ingredient in many health food bars, supplements and health shakes. Fast foods are also high in iodine and should be avoided.
In developing a diet that supports acne free skin, it is important to be aware of the ingredients that are in what you eat. Avoiding iodine in your diet will prevent acne from forming.
2. Wheat flour causes acne, anxiety and stomach irritation. It is found in many breads, pastas, and carbohydrate products such as cakes and cookies. Wheat flour is nutritional, that is why it is used so often in foods. But for the purpose of acne free skin, wheat flour must be eliminated from the diet. This is something that is hard to avoid, since it is an ingredient in most bread products in many stores. But non wheat bread products can also be found in supermarkets and health food stores. Many people who are in touch with their health, are actually aware that they are allergic to wheat flour, and they make efforts to substitute it and eat other things. But many people do not know wheat causes acne, and they continue to eat it, and suffer with bad skin. After learning now about the connection between wheat flour and acne formation, its worth the extra effort to lower your consumption of wheat products, for clearer skin.
3. Citrus fruits have high acid concentrations. Although these fruits are very healthy, the acid irritates acne and the stomach lining.
4. Herbal Products such as supplements and herbal tea, and most herbs that are ingested internally, contribute to acne formation. In test studies, participants who drank herbal teas and ingested herb supplements, had eruptions of acne lesions immediately after consuming the herbs. Although some herbs contribute to greater health, unfortunately they are detrimental to the skin, and are best avoided by people who want to decrease their acne.
5. Acidic Vegetables are vegetables that are high in acid. Tomatoes and Potatoes are good examples. These acidic vegetables cause extra acid to form and circulate in the stomach and can contribute to acne formation.
6. Diet Soda can cause skin and health problems, because it contains a chemical called phenylalanine. Clinical studies have shown that phenylalanine can be toxic to the human body. It known to cause anxiety, hyperactivity, headache and acne in humans.
7. Excessive Sugar Intake causes acne. Eat sugar in moderation because it has a history of causing pimples for those that indulge in it. Overeating sugary products will cause your blood sugar to rise and fall. This will lead to a stress response by the body, and acne as result.
8. Chocolate contains ingredients such as milk, milk fat, butter, butterfat, and buttermilk that are acne irritants. The butter and buttermilk are the most irritating to the skin, and can cause severe acne.
9. Peanut Butter
Eating peanut butter causes a hormonal reaction in the body, which over stimulates the oil glands and produces severe acne. It also contains high levels of sugar, fat, and iodine which are all acne irritants. Peanut butter contains a chemical combination that causes severe acne to appear soon after eating it. Peanuts also have been known to cause severe allergic reactions in both small children and adults. Those wishing to have clear skin should not eat peanut butter or peanut products. Or at the very least only eat it in moderation if it is a favorite food.
10. Dairy Products such as skim milk and cheese products cause the most acne because they contain large amounts of lactose and iodine. Ice cream also causes acne because it contains buttermilk and butterfat. Dairy products should be ingested in moderation for good health and for clear skin. It has been found that dairy products such as egg whites cause less acne. Avoid the yolk of eggs because it contains cholesterol which should be avoided for health reasons and also because it causes acne bumps to form on the skin.
In addition, whole milk products and 1% milk are not as irritating, and cause less acne to form.
11. Shellfish should be avoided entirely by acne sufferers because it is high in iodine and mercury. Shellfish is an acne provoker. It is a good idea to rely on other types of non shellfish for protein in your diet to improve the texture of your skin and hair. (Swordfish, along with fried fast food fish should be avoided also because they contain large amounts of iodine and mercury) Salmon and filet are good examples of non shell fish that contribute to skin beauty because of their nutrients, and richness in the omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for body and skin health.
12. Avoid Alcohol and Drugs
This cannot be said strongly enough when striving for clear healthy skin. Alcohol and drugs cause acne, for the same reason not eating for long periods of time does. They create a stress response in the human body. And as a reaction, they cause the body to produce hormones and body chemicals such as adrenaline and cortisol, which in turn cause severe acne.
Alcohol and drugs destroy the liver which functions as a filtering organ for toxins. Without the liver acting in full capacity, the body is susceptible to infections and serious health complications. Avoiding alcohol and drugs of any kind is not only a healthy life habit to develop, but is a good way to preserve your skinÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s beauty.
13. Avoid Caffeine
Have you ever noticed after that cup of coffee, tea, or soda, that you develop problems with your skin. Coffee and caffeinated diet soda are the worst acne irritants. If you eliminate caffeine completely or moderately, you will decrease the amount of acne that develops on your skin.
Replace caffeine with fruit drink or water for overall health and hydration purposes which will benefit your skin. Caffeine is a diuretic and will dehydrate your skin leaving it dry, lined and acne prone.
A lot of people rely on caffeine for mental and physical energy. It is the most widely used drug in the world. But as is the case with all drugs, it is a chemical to your body and does have bad side effects.
It causes your heart to race, and your body to become stressed.
Consuming caffeine causes your adrenal glands to overproduce stress chemicals such as adrenaline and cortisol. When these stress chemicals and hormones are present in your bloodstream, ill health can result. And acne lesions begin to form on the skin, as an outward sign of the stress response.
In addition, clinical studies have found that coffee dehydrates the skin, impairs the bodyÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s ability to burn fat, and causes cellulite to form.
By avoiding caffeine, your prevent your body from going into stress mode and prevent your skin from showing skin problems that are a bi- product of caffeine induced stress on the body.
14. Avoid Smoking
The Carbon Monoxide present in cigarette smoke, is a good reason in itself to quit. It decreases the amount of oxygen your body takes in, and increases the amount of tar your lungs take in. This reduces the oxygen and nutrient distribution to the vital organs of your body, especially the skin.
Smoking depletes the vitamin C in your body. It damages the elastic tissue fibers of your skin which make it more susceptible to wrinkles. It also creates deep lines around the eye and lip area.
Smoking cigarettes leaves the skin dull and dry looking. It also discolors your teeth with permanent stains.
The Nicotine in cigarettes is also a widely used drug, with very dangerous side effects. It negatively affects the heart, brain, liver, skin, blood, lungs, and adrenal glands.
It is always a smart decision to stop smoking, because of the many serious health problems it causes. Smoking causes reduced immune system functioning, heart attack, stroke, high blood pressure, cancer, liver problems, premature aging, early death, negative affect on the skins appearance over time, etc.
15. Avoid steaming hot foods and beverages- The heat stimulates the sebaceous glands to overproduce oil that will clog pores and cause new acne lesions to develop. Hot foods and beverages aggravate existing skin irritations and acne, especially cystic acne, and should be avoided.
16. Spicy foods and beverages also cause body temperature to rise, and the sebaceous glands to produce more oil. This can also aggravate existing skin problems such as acne and rosacea. You will notice that the skin develops a flushed look after ingesting spicy foods. This is because they cause the body temperature to rise. This can negatively affect people who suffer with skin problems, and should be avoided.
17. Avoid Red Meat
Health studies have shown that eating red meat causes many health problems. Red meat is high in artery clogging fats, and hormones. Have you ever eaten red meat, and a then felt overly tired a short period after eating it? This happens because it takes the body twice as long to digest red meat as other foods.
Red meat is also known to cause skin problems, especially acne. After ingesting it, you will notice an increase in acne lesions and inflammation. You will especially notice an increase in acne after eating fast food hamburger products.
If you wish to improve your skins clarity, and improve your health overall, you should avoid eating red meat.
18. Avoid Fast Foods
Fast food meats and fishes are high in iodine and fat. The meats are chemically processed, and are almost always made from poor quality animal meat that is loaded with hormones. This will cause your skin to react badly, and erupt with acne lesions and inflammation.
Within a short period of time after eating fast foods, many other health problems can be created and exacerbated. Some examples are acne, allergies, high blood pressure, stomach upset, weight gain, clogged arteries, decreased blood flow, headache, etc.
19. Avoid Cold Cut Meats because they are also processed meats, and are very high in sodium and MSG. Both of which will dehydrate your body and skin. These ingredients can cause acne, skin rashes, headaches, high blood pressure, dizziness, dehydration and exhaustion. These are just a few of the negative health effects of consuming cold cut meats. There are many more. Its good to avoid eating cold cut meats, if you want to have a healthy skin and body.
20. Avoid chewing gum
Normally when you eat food your stomach produces acids that are meant to aid in the digestion of the food. When you chew gum, no food enters the stomach, but the acids are still produced and passed into the intestines. These acids can sometimes cause acne and skin problems. They can also worsen stomach problems and ulcers. Its good to avoid chewing gum if you have stomach or skin problems.
21. Avoid Gelatin
If you suffer with skin problems, avoiding gelatin products might help clear your skin. Gelatin does basically strengthen the nails and hair. But it has been found to cause acne in certain individuals.
D. Baron is the author of A Guide To Beautiful Skin
Posted 25 July 2004 - 06:51 AM
It makes me hungry, good for skinny peeple.
but yeh I afoided all those things when I were at my acne peek and at that time it helped.
1 - the ugly colored and graved with bird shit all over it, but Porsche/Lamborgini shaped car what could take you like a jet plane?
2 - or the amazing static red colored shiny, with the green glow under the car but is shaped like a lame cube where old folks drive in?
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules] the same goes for acne and the girls who choose the guy's [image removed by sigbot--see board rules]
ps: I don't know cars, only girls... but you got the point.
Posted 25 July 2004 - 12:07 PM
If iodine created such severe acne in everyone, no one on the planet would have clear skin since it is a rare person that never eats salt. Also, our bodies produce amounts of iodine naturally so...
And wheat? Ha. The gum thing is great though -- the stomach does NOT start producing acid because you're chewing food. The stomach only secretes pepsin when perostalsis detects food. So unless you swallow gum and regurgitate it, that applies no where.
Please don't go on a crazy diet by a "doctor" like that. It will only starve you.
Posted 25 July 2004 - 12:28 PM
Posted 25 July 2004 - 12:57 PM
Posted 26 July 2004 - 03:10 PM
Posted 26 July 2004 - 03:28 PM
glad elsaaaaaa and me are cool!
Posted 26 July 2004 - 03:31 PM
If you took the effort to actually research the reasons WHY these should be avoided, you would understand how they could affect our hormones, and thus increase our acne production. There will always be people on these boards that like to talk a lot of....crap, but they usually never give us their time and energy to support what they say with scientific evidence.
Usually they feel that because a diet change, usually not the ones we adhere to, didn't work for them, diet doesn't work for anyone. Or they will use the fact that if diet affected our skin, then everyone would have acne. Yet they fail to realize that our GENES play just as big a role in determining how susceptible we will be to a particular diet and HOW it will manifest, or express, itself symptomatically. That right there is almost laughable for if they claim to be "all about the science" how can they overlook that very simple, yet quite important fact???
So who are you going to believe, the ones that bash with no scientific support (or don't attempt to provide it) or the ones that come on here and devote some of their time and energy, into helping you not only improve your skin, but understand the mechanisms behind it?
Not to mention, which group has a higher success rate of actually helping to clear people naturally?
Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.
Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.
Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.
Posted 26 July 2004 - 03:35 PM
glad elsaaaaaa and me are cool!
Posted 26 July 2004 - 03:58 PM
But perhaps I'll try a week of not eating it and see what happens .
Posted 26 July 2004 - 11:24 PM
One of the things he says about the fats in peanuts is wrong. Another is the red meat. It's only because America red meat is sh!t. I'm sorry but it is a horrible product what with all the hormones and toxins in the feed they give them. If you have cows that graze on pesticide free wild grass(not grains) with no extra hormones as most do here in Alberta and In Canada, you get a meat that's less marbled(some say it affects taste but I would rather have a lean mean than a fatty rich meat), much better for you and what fat it does have actually becomes a great source for omega 3 fatty acids due to the plant sources as it's primary feed(so at least some of the bad saturated fats in hamburger woudl be cancelled out).
It's all about the source of food, not the food itself. You could say the same for fish. Just because much of the supply is contaminated with heavy metals and toxins, doesn't mean when you do have a good souce it is bad.
I won't say much about hte other stuff, only that if your organs are running smoothly(has a lot to do with hormones) than it woun't matter what healthy foods you eat(aka wheat bread) it won't break you out unless you are allergic to it.