Photo

Antibiotics messed up my health

folic acid fish oil zinc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kyza

Kyza

Kyza

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:23 AM

After taking tetracyline when I was 16 for a period of 6 months. I have realised thats when all the problems started happening - Sensitive skin, dull skin, hair loss, poor healing acne, digestion problems etc. Is there any way I can restore my health back to what it used to be?

Here is what I currently do - Cardio. Take zinc, multivit, fish oil and folic acid.. Drink lots water. Eat healthily.

Thanks smile.gif

#2 Corsair

Corsair

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:19 AM

I don't think that is related to antibiotics anyway. You have other problems like stress maybe, antibiotics have nothing to do with hair loss. Besides, when you take antibiotics you have to protect your skin.

#3 madspa

madspa

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (Kyza @ Jun 7 2010, 07:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After taking tetracyline when I was 16 for a period of 6 months. I have realised thats when all the problems started happening - Sensitive skin, dull skin, hair loss, poor healing acne, digestion problems etc. Is there any way I can restore my health back to what it used to be?

Here is what I currently do - Cardio. Take zinc, multivit, fish oil and folic acid.. Drink lots water. Eat healthily.

Thanks smile.gif

Exactly my thoughts. I used tetracycline also at around 16 (i'm 23 now) for about 6 months and I now have problems with seborrheic dermatitis, white tongue, and some diffuse symptoms like always tired, slow thinking process, always forgetting words etc. Do you have seborrheic dermatitis?

My theory is that tetracycline killed off some important bacteria or something which renders me unable to synthesize some important nutrients, like some b vitamins. Unfortunately, I've tried megadosing b-vitamins for some time now (50mg/day or more for more than 6 months) and no change. Beginning to lose hope ;(.

#4 JayQ

JayQ

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (madspa @ Jun 7 2010, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks smile.gif

Exactly my thoughts. I used tetracycline also at around 16 (i'm 23 now) for about 6 months and I now have problems with seborrheic dermatitis, white tongue, and some diffuse symptoms like always tired, slow thinking process, always forgetting words etc. Do you have seborrheic dermatitis?

My theory is that tetracycline killed off some important bacteria or something which renders me unable to synthesize some important nutrients, like some b vitamins. Unfortunately, I've tried megadosing b-vitamins for some time now (50mg/day or more for more than 6 months) and no change. Beginning to lose hope ;(.

50mg is not megadosing lol.

#5 IMakeThemKitKatFries!

IMakeThemKitKatFries!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:00 PM

Antibiotics could be damaging in long term use but i doubt it is the culprit of all those symptoms

#6 madspa

madspa

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (JayQ @ Jun 7 2010, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks smile.gif

Ok, maybe I should have been more clear. Some days I've been taking 4 or 5 times that. I've taken enough b-vitamins per day to induce vitamin b6 toxicity (temporary deadening of nerves in my feet).

#7 JayQ

JayQ

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (madspa @ Jun 7 2010, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks smile.gif

Ok, maybe I should have been more clear. Some days I've been taking 4 or 5 times that. I've taken enough b-vitamins per day to induce vitamin b6 toxicity (temporary deadening of nerves in my feet).

Mega dosing is really considered 10g or more on b vitamins. I take 2grams a day in b vitamins which is very small still.

#8 madspa

madspa

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (Help Wanted @ Jun 7 2010, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Antibiotics could be damaging in long term use but i doubt it is the culprit of all those symptoms

Maybe not directly, but indirectly. For example, there was this case study ( http://www.annals.or.../6/910.abstract ) of a girl which took tetracycline and got folic acid deficiency, and folic acid deficiency causes all these oddball symptoms like anemia and SD etc. And besides, deficiency in one vitamin can cause deficiencies in others, or so I've heard anyway.

#9 SLSL

SLSL

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:16 PM

I was taking antibiotics for maybe a year - a year 1/2, for my acne. My dermatologist never really took me off... I got off myself. I do think taking antibiotics for so long and then getting off from them freaked my body out. I started having lots of problems. I think it's because your body got used to having help fighting off infections and things of that sort... and now it's having trouble fighting by itself. I do know that an antibiotic can thin your skin and make it sensitive. That's why on the prescription bottles it states you should stay out of the sun/wear sunblock. In conclusion, that could be for sure why you have sensitive/dull skin and poor healing acne. Not sure about the other symptoms, even though I have all of those too - hair falling out and digestive problems. I would see an endocrinologist if I were you. You might have an immune disorder or some kind of deficiency. What has helped me combat the symptoms for now (until I get the right treatment) is taking Zinc, Vitamin C, B-Complex, Protein and Vitamin D. The Protein and Vitamin D I actually get from a drink called Ensure. It's like $6 a pack. I think they're yummy too smile.gif and are packed with all kinds of minerals. Get lots of rest, exercise, and try to eat healthy. But see a doctor please. Good luck!!

Edited by Sapphire Lily, 07 June 2010 - 06:17 PM.

#10 madspa

madspa

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (JayQ @ Jun 7 2010, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (madspa @ Jun 7 2010, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks smile.gif

Mega dosing is really considered 10g or more on b vitamins. I take 2grams a day in b vitamins which is very small still.

Most b-vitamins are generally safe to overdose indeed, however I would not recommend b6 in very large doses. See i.e. http://en.wikipedia....itamin_toxicity

#11 Kyza

Kyza

Kyza

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (Sapphire Lily @ Jun 8 2010, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was taking antibiotics for maybe a year - a year 1/2, for my acne. My dermatologist never really took me off... I got off myself. I do think taking antibiotics for so long and then getting off from them freaked my body out. I started having lots of problems. I think it's because your body got used to having help fighting off infections and things of that sort... and now it's having trouble fighting by itself. I do know that an antibiotic can thin your skin and make it sensitive. That's why on the prescription bottles it states you should stay out of the sun/wear sunblock. In conclusion, that could be for sure why you have sensitive/dull skin and poor healing acne. Not sure about the other symptoms, even though I have all of those too - hair falling out and digestive problems. I would see an endocrinologist if I were you. You might have an immune disorder or some kind of deficiency. What has helped me combat the symptoms for now (until I get the right treatment) is taking Zinc, Vitamin C, B-Complex, Protein and Vitamin D. The Protein and Vitamin D I actually get from a drink called Ensure. It's like $6 a pack. I think they're yummy too smile.gif and are packed with all kinds of minerals. Get lots of rest, exercise, and try to eat healthy. But see a doctor please. Good luck!!

I eat healthily 6 days a week sad.gif have a cheat day once a week). I live in the U.K so we don't have drinks like Ensure here. I might consider taking protein shakes or something. But yes I will definatly go see my GP and ask him for a referal. Thanks!

#12 Paul25

Paul25

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:02 PM

Wow, not one mention of candida overgrowth? Im not sure how long that takes actually but i would take a guess that its possible over a 6 month period.

#13 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:07 PM

inulin fiber supplements perhaps. its a prebiotic feeds many of the good bacteria and simulaneously creates short chain fatty acids that inhibit the growth of less desirable bacteria.

some probiotics may help a bit also.

symbiotics or ingesting both pre and pro biotics atthe same time may also be more effective.

yogurt also can help in this process as bacteria have already prefermented lactose into lactic acid ex-vivo or outside the organism i.e., YOU!, which will provide much inhibition of undesirable bacteria, and restore a better bacterial environment, which may or may not improve your digestion. Mostlikely you will experiance some improvement.