Photo

I need some healthy chips, which ones though???

4 replies to this topic

#1 ZAP

ZAP

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2004 - 05:30 PM

It has been a while since I've eaten some chips. I love chips and i would like to know if you guys know of some healthy chips that won't aggravate acne. Thanks.

P.D. I have bought some chips from Trader Joe's which are made of organic white corn witha trace of lime, organic sunflower oil, and sea salt. What do you guys think of it????

#2 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 24 July 2004 - 05:41 PM

Well, I don't think chips are likely to aggravate acne unless perhaps they have been fried, as some people feel fried foods can aggravate acne becuase of their negative effect on the liver.
Others feel that almost any form of carbs can aggravate acne, so in this case whatever sort of chips you use made from ordinary potato, they are going to be bad for you.
I don't feel this way, though, and have chips regularly which have been thick cut from normal potatoes and then BAKED for 45 mins at 200 degrees C in extra virgin olive oil.

I also LOVE sweet potato chips. Sweet potatoes are generally better for you than ordinary potatoes, and contain large amounts of vitamin E and beta carotene - two nutrients that can help with acne. I make them in the same way as the ordinary potato chips.
Here's a good recipe link: http://vegweb.com/fo...s/snack12.shtml
And here's a google search with plenty of recipe sites you can peruse! http://www.google.co...otato chips&X=1

If you DO want to avoid carbs, then you could go with PARSNIP chips, which are made in the same way, but with parsnip, which is a vegetable much lower in carbs than sweet potato or ordinary potato.
Hope this is helpful. smile.gif

#3 sadcaroline

sadcaroline

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2004 - 05:45 PM

theres really no type of chip you can find that wont aggravte acne to some extent, all chips (even natural, organic ones) contain loads of carbohydrates, that turn to a form of sugar in the body, causing a spike in insulin, an then causing a rise in androgens (the hormone that causes acne) .. but i guess if you are comparing regular chips with the organic kind, the organic kind of course is better. the kind you mentioned you bought sounds about as healthy as your going to get when comparing chips.. hope that helps! smile.gif

#4 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2004 - 08:13 PM

Well, non-hydrogenated, dairy, & wheat free chips are my choice of junk food. It's rare to find that combo without Cottonseed oil being added, but it is possible with some brands such as Frito Lay's Natural Chip Line, and some of their regular chips as well.

Also, if you visit your healthfood store you will find a plethora of organic chips, and crackers that you can consume. Kettle Chips, Poore Brothers (uses cottonseed oil), and Terra are some good brands. Also there are several brands that sell corn or tortilla style chips and veggie chips. The veggie chips are either made with dehydrated vegetables or they are flavored potato-type chips.

Me personally, I have no problems with fried oils via chips, etc, as long as they aren't FRIED Hydrogenated oils or regular hydrogenated oils. If I consume those types of fried fats (several days in a row), my pores become large, fill with black stuff, and stay this way for almost 2 weeks.

Right now, I haven't touched knowingly hydrogenated oils, and so my pores are rather small, but I'm about to eat my favorite flavored non-battered chicken wings (Wing It). I believe these are either baked or fried (must ask them) and my mom ordered fries, but I ordered 2 orders of veggie sticks to resist the temptation of the fries.

Wish me luck ;-)

#5 ZAP

ZAP

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2004 - 08:25 PM

Good luck smile.gif. By the way Trader Joe's sells some good healthy chips. I think I have found my temple(store). smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users