Photo

Niacin (Vitamin B3), Zinc and Green Tea benefits

vitamin vitamins vitamin b vitamin b3 vitamin e vitamin k niacin green tea zinc oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Durbaniter~Zitigated

Durbaniter~Zitigated

Howzit, My name is JJ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:07 PM

Hey there, I'd first off like to say I hope that anyone who reads this is doing good (be honest) and that you take to heart what I am about to write here.
It's not everyday that someone is willing to really listen to another, and more so offer them sincere advice on what might or might not work, regarding our skins.

Remember each one us are different. yet in all ways we are much alike but at times so far apart.
strange how that can be sometimes right?

Okay now that I've thoroughly confused the heck outta you here, I'm going to get back on track, pertaining to my question;

Have you or anyone close to you, ever tried (or had thoughts of trying) Supplements such as Niacinamide (niacin, vit B3) Green Tea caps or Chelated Zinc? (does not have to be 'chelated')
if so, what was your innitial reaction if any to the products?
Or if you have not yet decided to take the plunge, would you consider a natural alternative to your usual regime?

Feedback is important, since I myself have been on these substances for precisely 3 days now. not that 3 days is long enough to have any tell tale signs mind, but so far I've not experienced any unwanted adverse reactions (No new zits, No swelling or redness and most thankfully No side effects)

Though as they tend to say, "if something is to good to be true, it usually is" so I do hope that my gut feeling on this turns out right. I'd hate to relive the nightmare again.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone developed more serious skin issues/ reactions to certain Over-the-counter meds, or dermatologically prescribed methods?

I am looking forward to hearing from your own personal experiences. and stories.

* This is what I am currently taking*
Niacin 100mg (you can up the dosage if you like, just be cautious, as flushes are bound to happen and the higher the dose the more likely the longer the flush will last)

Gree tea extract 1000mg (high strength)

Chelated Zinc 15mg (plenty to get you started, and used to it)

I got mine over at Holland&Barrett (UK) so not sure if there is an equivalent in the US or not. but worth a check. Still I say go for it! what you got to lose?
If you do however (very unlikely though) have an adverse reaction to the stuff. simply stop taking and see a doc or derm about it. Just ask them if it's safe to take with whatever (if any) Meds you're on!
Be safe and be smart.

*nb: That you Will experience hot flushes while taking Niacin (Vitamin B3 complex) tabs, they cause your body to flush the toxins out. so Red patchy rahes will occur, however very minor and will go away after approx 15-30 mins gradually. drink plenty of fluids and keep indoors
(not required, but tbh now, who wants to go out looking like a Red Lobster? Not I! Lol)*

I will be back daily to update you all on my progress with Niacin, my skin is already feeling the benefits, so not long now until either I break out like hell, or my face clears, finally healing after nearly 5 years of emotional, physical and psychological trauma! heck I'm sure most of us here can relate am I right?
ninja.gif

Thanks a lot for reading, Have yourself a fanstastic rest of the weekend guys, keep smiling because before you know it the world will be smiling with You!
proud.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UPDATE; Day 5 and Feeling Good

Okay so like I said I would, here is my update so far on the Skin regime I'm testing:

The Avo and Honey Yogurt mask is clearly working, coupled with the fact it now contains Potassium (bananas have the highest ratio of potassium to sodium) Manuka honey (30+ factor) ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) and Lime Juice (from Concentrate)

Results > Visibly reduced redness
Spots/ Cysts kept at bay
Skin feels smoother, pores look tighter
Toning affect: Noticeably brighter (non oily or shiny) pores
No side effects, no more dryness/ itchiness or Irritance what so ever.

"It is very Nourishing, leaving facial skin feeling soft-to-the-touch after 1st innitial application.
(3 Applications later You will begin to See a difference in the overall apperance of your complexion I guarentee it, but like most people it depends on your skin and tolerance)

Ingredients/ Method/ (how to) Use; To make mask you will need:

1x 500g tub of Greek (plain organic Full-Fat) Yogurt/ or alternatively you may use Soured Cream

2 Tblspoons of Pure (pasteurized) Honey (Organic is preferred but not essential) the 'Runny' kind.
Honey is natural anti-inflammatory and contains high amounts of
Honey also appears to be effective in killing drug-resistant biofilms which are implicated in chronic rhinosinusitis. further studies have been conducted.
Honey is known for its, antifungal, antibacterial, anti histamine, soothing and healing properties.
So really you're benefiting greatly with taking this internally and applying this atopically.

1 Pre-Crushed Banana
(Not only are bananas rich in vitamin C, they also contain potassium. Potassium is a mineral that helps in the building of muscles and protein synthesis, so 1 Banana contains more than enough of your RDA of Potassium)

1 or 2 (your choice) Avocados Peeled, Sliced and Pureed (or smooshed into a paste) Advacados are high in vitamin K and C, and also contain vitamins E and A.

2-3 drops of Lime Juice (from Concentrate) Lime like lemon is an Astringent (chemical compound that tends to shrink or constrict body tissues) that really does aid in lightening scars/ blemishes which will after consistent use fade them over time.

and Finally

2 Tblspoons of ACV (Organic Apple Cider Vinegar "containing "Mother")

Place all these ingredients into a bowl (I use a small disposable plastic container such as an Ice Cream tub) and fold in well (do not mix) until the mixture is smooth and creamy. place into refrigerator overnight, and use next morning/ afternoon etc. Lasts for approx 3-5 Days

How to Apply;
After thoroughly cleansing skin, apply the mask onto moistened skin by dotting or gently rubbing in circular movements (acts as a Stimulation for deeper penetration)
Invigorates and Soothes irritated and burning skin. Allow to dry for approx 20-30 mins or until cake-dry. Rinse off with luke-warm water and pat dry with fresh towel or face cloth.

Note: I leave it on for up to a max of 2 hours, or even overnight when my skin feels drying and sore. Lathering it all over my face, and truly I think it does the trick.

You do Not have to follow my method to the letter, test your own out (trial and error) and discover what suits you best.

Now onto my Oral intake Update;

I am still taking Niacin (Vit B3), Zinc and Green Tea
I am also now starting on Hydrolysed Collagen and Acai (An indigenous Berry from the Brazilian Rainforest)

And have found a great Moisturiser for my blackhead prone skin.

It's called;
"Nelsons Pure and Clear balancing moisturiser, anti-blemish care"
Active Ingredients;
The Active agents are: Tea Tree
Arnica
Hypericum
Calendula

An effective blend of Natural plant extracts which work together in unison to combat blackheads and blemishes.

Results after 4 days use;
My Oily skin has become less shiny and more radiant/ glowing
Fine lines and wrinkles under the eyes / upon forehead etc have diminished greatly
No more white heads (oddly this product stated only works on blackheads, but maybe that can be attributed to by the Mask I use?) and The tiny red bumps I use to get after shaving have gone too. Blackheads seem to be vaporized as well, not sure though I don't stare at (and examine) myself in the mirror anymore these days.
I say So Far So Good.

I also use an External Topical (skin applicated) Vitamin E Pure Oil (70,000 I.U)
on top of the Moisturiser, might be difficult at first as it is very sticky, but once absorbed you hardly notice the remnants.

*Nelsons Pure and Clear Anti Blemish Care;
Please note that upon 1st application you may well experience/ feel a slight prickly sensation, I wouldn't quite call it stinging or burning, more like a 'tingly' sensation.
This will subside after about a min or so.
In the unlikely event, If any adverse reactions do occur, discontinue use immediately and consult with your doctor or dermatologist (Any medical practioner you know of)

REMEMBER!;
These are my Own Personal conducted experiments and experiences
I am in no way affiliated with nor do I have any expert knowledge pertaining to these products.
As with anything in life, there is always going to be a risk, it's up to you to decide whether the risk is great enough to be worth taking!.

I know I said i'd update daily, but after typing all this out my brain is in overload and a highway of interplanetary info floating around up there. So bare with me, and I will be back in a weeks time to Let you know how things have been going.

Phew, I do hope this is not a mouthful to read! I tried my best by adding bulletpoints and stick to the topic without confusing the reader.

Well..
Good Luck with your search for the "perfect" (or at least 90% effective) skin routine, and feel free to Pm me with any questions you might have.

~Happy Skin Healing Everyone~
= )

Edited by Durbaniter~Zitigated, 04 June 2010 - 05:34 AM.

#2 Sahartar

Sahartar

Dedicated Follower of Culture

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:19 PM

Before I stopped taking supplements, I took niacin for a while. Didn't make any difference in my skin so I stopped. I don't take green tea extract but I do drink a decent amount of green tea daily. I don't feel its made any difference in my skin, but that's alright since I drink it for taste. Green tea extracts are more potent than traditional tea though, so maybe you'll see more of a change.

I was for a little while on a dermatologist recommended regimen of ziana at night, duac in the morning, and one doxy pill. My skin was very clear at that time with a couple pimples only. No major bad reaction except the common one where you get extreme sun sensitivity. But right now I'm clear so I wouldn't dream of going back on any sort of drugs.

#3 Durbaniter~Zitigated

Durbaniter~Zitigated

Howzit, My name is JJ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (Sahartar @ May 29 2010, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Before I stopped taking supplements, I took niacin for a while. Didn't make any difference in my skin so I stopped. I don't take green tea extract but I do drink a decent amount of green tea daily. I don't feel its made any difference in my skin, but that's alright since I drink it for taste. Green tea extracts are more potent than traditional tea though, so maybe you'll see more of a change.

I was for a little while on a dermatologist recommended regimen of ziana at night, duac in the morning, and one doxy pill. My skin was very clear at that time with a couple pimples only. No major bad reaction except the common one where you get extreme sun sensitivity. But right now I'm clear so I wouldn't dream of going back on any sort of drugs.

Thnx for the reply!
I'm sorry to hear that you never got the results you were after
= [ but at least you gave it your best shot, can't fault you for that!
wink.gif

ah Ziana, yeah tbh with you I heard some things about that. enough to make me steer clear from it. so really good to hear that you were fine with it!
that is promising, and So elated to hear that your regime worked for you!

You must feel so good right now, no words can describe I bet how thankful you are to have clear skin again!
I do hope the high strength extract works swimmingly for me, as I said will update daily on my progress and (if any) side effects that occcur

Thanks again, have a fantastic evening/ afternoon or morning where ever in this world you are
Jay

Edited by Durbaniter~Zitigated, 29 May 2010 - 03:43 PM.

#4 databased

databased

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (Durbaniter~Zitigated @ May 29 2010, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
* This is what I am currently taking*
Niacin 100mg (you can up the dosage if you like, just be cautious, as flushes are bound to happen and the higher the dose the more likely the longer the flush will last)

So, this sounds like you are taking the form of niacin that a) has never shown clinical results for acne, b) is used to treat high cholesterol, and c) comes with a risk of liver damage if enough is taken for long enough.

Why not instead use the form of niacin that a) has a clinical trial demonstrating significant improvement in acne symptoms, and b) has some track record of safety when taken in large doses for extended periods?

Roll Your Own Nicomide.

#5 joeyci91

joeyci91

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:01 AM

Well, you asked about negative effects of dermatoligically prescribed methods and I'll give you mine.

Last year a 7 month bid with doxcycline and BP morning and night (with some neutrogena deep clean cleanser before and no moisturizer afterward) had me completely clear. But it only lasted for about 1 month 1/2. I now believe that the doxy's killing of friendly bacteria invited a candida overgrowth so now I'm treating that with vitamins/supplements and plan to look into probiotics and colostrum. My advice is to stay away from antibiotics. They may clear your acne, but in the long run they just disrupt your body's homeostasis.

In the last 5 months I was on tazorac, retin-a, BP 7% and 10%. The tazorac and BP didn't really help, but didn't hurt either. The Retin-A MESSED up my face.. and it smelled horrible although I read on here that it will cause an initial breakout that should subside with continued use. I was only on it for about a month before I asked for something different, and after that month my face was.. bubbly and gross. I had a boil directly between my eyes that probably could've made the news. I mean this thing literally obstructed my view. And it's strange that after I popped it there was an earthquake in Haiti.. So I might've caused that.. anyway those are the topicals.

I also did a month bid with minocycline. It seemed to be helping but, again, the side effects (in my opinion) aren't worth it. My face was beat red, I felt like crap, and My skin literally blistered when I went out in the sun. And after I ceased the minocycline my face started to get worse than it was before that. I'm inclined to think it had something to do with stopping it.

Now my face seems to be clearing up. There's not many actual bumps and there's a lot of peeling and a light pinkish tint that I associate with healing. What I'm now using topically is basically Dan's regimen but OTC form (clean and clear foaming cleanser, 2.5 neutrogena on the spot BP, and Eucerin Everday moisterizer [morning] and an moisterizer from Origins [night])

Supplements I take are Herpanacine, D3, fish oil, and a B compound. There is a small amount of niacin in the B compound, but I plan on stopping this and getting pure niacin along with other B vitamins alone.

Herpanacine has vitamin A, E, zinc, selenium, lysine, and a myriad of other natural ingredients that promote skin health.

Everything I'm doing now seems to be yeilding positive results, and It's only been 2 weeks.

Edited by joeyci91, 30 May 2010 - 10:02 AM.

#6 Swits

Swits

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

green tea breaks me out in cysts around my chin so watch out. zinc and niacin are the only vitamins that i can attest that has had SOME results on me. they do help, but they wont clear your acne. they are great anti-inflammatories though, so they took care of my cysts and thats it pretty much.

#7 Durbaniter~Zitigated

Durbaniter~Zitigated

Howzit, My name is JJ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (Swits @ May 31 2010, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
green tea breaks me out in cysts around my chin so watch out. zinc and niacin are the only vitamins that i can attest that has had SOME results on me. they do help, but they wont clear your acne. they are great anti-inflammatories though, so they took care of my cysts and thats it pretty much.

Ah sorry to hear that man, I had no worries with Green Tea myself.
I suppose we're all different in more ways than we realise, it's ashame really that what works out for some does not yield the same postive outcome for another. eusa_boohoo.gif
but hey that is some great advice you shared. so Thanks and Really hope you have a good day today.
= )

#8 Durbaniter~Zitigated

Durbaniter~Zitigated

Howzit, My name is JJ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:30 AM

Hey guys, thanks a lot for all the responses so far.
To the User Databased;

I Realise what youre saying is true and agree with most of what you said, however I was just concerned that the higher the dosage the more likely it may react with the medication I am currently taking. Also it might have reacted negatively with my current skin condition (not including acne in the equation) I suffer greatly from.
Thanks all the same though, do appreciate the feedback and advice.

UPDATE; Day 5 and Feeling Good

Okay so like I said I would, here is my update so far on the Skin regime I'm testing:

The Avo and Honey Yogurt mask is clearly working, coupled with the fact it now contains Potassium (bananas have the highest ratio of potassium to sodium) Manuka honey (30+ factor) ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) and Lime Juice (from Concentrate)

Results > Visibly reduced redness
Spots/ Cysts kept at bay
Skin feels smoother, pores look tighter
Toning affect: Noticeably brighter (non oily or shiny) pores
No side effects, no more dryness/ itchiness or Irritance what so ever.

"It is very Nourishing, leaving facial skin feeling soft-to-the-touch after 1st innitial application.
(3 Applications later You will begin to See a difference in the overall apperance of your complexion I guarentee it, but like most people it depends on your skin and tolerance)

Ingredients/ Method/ (how to) Use; To make mask you will need:

1x 500g tub of Greek (plain organic Full-Fat) Yogurt/ or alternatively you may use Soured Cream

2 Tblspoons of Pure (pasteurized) Honey (Organic is preferred but not essential) the 'Runny' kind.
Honey is natural anti-inflammatory and contains high amounts of
Honey also appears to be effective in killing drug-resistant biofilms which are implicated in chronic rhinosinusitis. further studies have been conducted.
Honey is known for its, antifungal, antibacterial, anti histamine, soothing and healing properties.
So really you're benefiting greatly with taking this internally and applying this atopically.

1 Pre-Crushed Banana
(Not only are bananas rich in vitamin C, they also contain potassium. Potassium is a mineral that helps in the building of muscles and protein synthesis, so 1 Banana contains more than enough of your RDA of Potassium)

1 or 2 (your choice) Avocados Peeled, Sliced and Pureed (or smooshed into a paste) Advacados are high in vitamin K and C, and also contain vitamins E and A.

2-3 drops of Lime Juice (from Concentrate) Lime like lemon is an Astringent (chemical compound that tends to shrink or constrict body tissues) that really does aid in lightening scars/ blemishes which will after consistent use fade them over time.

and Finally

2 Tblspoons of ACV (Organic Apple Cider Vinegar "containing "Mother")

Place all these ingredients into a bowl (I use a small disposable plastic container such as an Ice Cream tub) and fold in well (do not mix) until the mixture is smooth and creamy. place into refrigerator overnight, and use next morning/ afternoon etc. Lasts for approx 3-5 Days

How to Apply;
After thoroughly cleansing skin, apply the mask onto moistened skin by dotting or gently rubbing in circular movements (acts as a Stimulation for deeper penetration)
Invigorates and Soothes irritated and burning skin. Allow to dry for approx 20-30 mins or until cake-dry. Rinse off with luke-warm water and pat dry with fresh towel or face cloth.

Note: I leave it on for up to a max of 2 hours, or even overnight when my skin feels drying and sore. Lathering it all over my face, and truly I think it does the trick.

You do Not have to follow my method to the letter, test your own out (trial and error) and discover what suits you best.

Now onto my Oral intake Update;

I am still taking Niacin (Vit B3), Zinc and Green Tea
I am also now starting on Hydrolysed Collagen and Acai (An indigenous Berry from the Brazilian Rainforest)

And have found a great Moisturiser for my blackhead prone skin.

It's called;
"Nelsons Pure and Clear balancing moisturiser, anti-blemish care"
Active Ingredients;
The Active agents are: Tea Tree
Arnica
Hypericum
Calendula

An effective blend of Natural plant extracts which work together in unison to combat blackheads and blemishes.

Results after 4 days use;
My Oily skin has become less shiny and more radiant/ glowing
Fine lines and wrinkles under the eyes / upon forehead etc have diminished greatly
No more white heads (oddly this product stated only works on blackheads, but maybe that can be attributed to by the Mask I use?) and The tiny red bumps I use to get after shaving have gone too. Blackheads seem to be vaporized as well, not sure though I don't stare at (and examine) myself in the mirror anymore these days.
I say So Far So Good.

I also use an External Topical (skin applicated) Vitamin E Pure Oil (70,000 I.U)
on top of the Moisturiser, might be difficult at first as it is very sticky, but once absorbed you hardly notice the remnants.

*Nelsons Pure and Clear Anti Blemish Care;
Please note that upon 1st application you may well experience/ feel a slight prickly sensation, I wouldn't quite call it stinging or burning, more like a 'tingly' sensation.
This will subside after about a min or so.
In the unlikely event, If any adverse reactions do occur, discontinue use immediately and consult with your doctor or dermatologist (Any medical practioner you know of)

REMEMBER!;
These are my Own Personal conducted experiments and experiences
I am in no way affiliated with nor do I have any expert knowledge pertaining to these products.
As with anything in life, there is always going to be a risk, it's up to you to decide whether the risk is great enough to be worth taking!.

I know I said i'd update daily, but after typing all this out my brain is in overload and a highway of interplanetary info floating around up there. So bare with me, and I will be back in a weeks time to Let you know how things have been going.
alien.gif

Phew, I do hope this is not a mouthful to read! I tried my best by adding bulletpoints and stick to the topic without confusing the reader.

Well..
Good Luck with your search for the "perfect" (or at least 90% effective) skin routine, and feel free to Pm me with any questions you might have.

~Happy Skin Healing Everyone~
= )

Edited by Durbaniter~Zitigated, 04 June 2010 - 05:32 AM.