Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this the SILENT Contributor of Acne?

21 posts in this topic

Thank you for a great post! It worked for me and is still working... When I switched to low carb eating my skin got much clearer. In combination with Dan's regime my skin is now clear (no active acne). I've been eating LC for about 3 months and doing the regime for 1 month.

It truely is worth trying.

just so the doubters know, a doctor in this months glamour magazine said diets too high in carbs can cause acne

But any doctor in Glamour has lost real patients. smile.gif

Your post is well thought out but my grandfather became very insulin resistant when he turned 10 or 11 yet he has had 4 zits in his life (he actually remembers the dates). So, clearly, it's not a direct link.

not everyone is affected by diet the same way. i can eat as much as any "fat" person and not gain an ounce but I doubt you'd say diet doesn't affect how fat you can get. plus, my bro who's a Harvard PhD in molecular bio totally suports the diet acne theory if you're looking for credentials he's got more than anyone on this board,,,and there is plenty of scientific eveidence that show's diet affects key hormones that in turn cause acne. You seem to maintain the illogical argument that simply because not evryone's acne is affected by diet then noone's is....and when there is credible evidence and medical support for that argumet you simply dismiss it...

I don't think acne is just caused by insulin by the way, there are other factors than come to play...but i won't even debate this point your grandfather is ONE example. Just like your granfather had genes thta caused him to become insulin resistent, his genes made him resistent to acne. I don't have insulin resistence, nor do i really watch my blood sugar, but i may be more inclined to get acne as a by product of eating poorly. diet affctes every system to varying degrees and varies among individuals, races, groups, I won't even argue this anymore with the naysayers because it's really bizarre that one can say diet has NO acne affcte. Every derm supports that iodine, too much of it, can cause/exacerbate acne>

Ben,

I know that your father has Insulin Resistance, but I believe you've said that he's also now a Type II Diabetic, correct? Is he also obese, or carry any of the other "classic" symptoms?

Well I happen to have classic symptoms of Insulin Resistance as is associated with puberty & hyperandrogenism and not as is associated with Type II Diabetes (as I'm not a diabetic). I've probably had Insulin Resistance as early as age 8, since that's when some aspects of puberty began for me. My endocrinologist would tease me about this because I'm considered a "rarity"and when I told the school nutritionist, she looked at me like I was nutz ;-)

Unfortunately, there are more just like me and some do not even know it! You don't have to have all the symptoms or risk factors to be Insulin Resistant, didn't you read that part? However, since your father is a Type II Diabetic you are also at a greater risk of being so. I don't know your mother's history, but do you know if you are insulin resistant? Regardless, of how you cleared your acne, you may still be at risk for other more serious problems.

While I never said that Insulin Resistance always leads to acne, as there are other environmental and dietary causes, nor have I said that all acne is caused by Insulin Resistance, there is a direct link for a nice percentage of us.

- If there is no direct link then how is it possible that an Insulin Sensitizing Drug reduced my acne better than BC (an anti-androgen)?

- How is it possible that a changes in my diet, that remove at least, either IGF-1, or a higher Insulin Response, produced an even greater improvement?

So if the below scientific studies, among many others that I did and didn't post, supports that:

Hyperinsulinemia ---> Hyperandrogenism ----> Acne , why don't you believe it?

While the HPO axis is maturing, growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) are secreted in larger quantities to stimulate somatic growth, and to promote pubertal development. This leads to insulin resistance, hyperinsulinemia, theca cell hyperplasia, increased ovarian androgen production, and subsequent anovulation. Thus, normal mild hyperandrogenism is required for growth, but in the event of even mild hormonal imbalances, menstrual abnormalities, hirsutism, severe acne, obesity, and poly-cystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) may develop.

Chloe,

LOL, I know. People will state that diet plays no role and then turn around and say "well caffeine or iodine may so you should avoid them" Well I can understand their reasoning for avoiding both of these, caffeine more so than iodine, but that is the exact reasoning why we avoid certain foods too. Not because it is a "greasy" food, but because it contains certain allergenic glycoproteins, nutrients, anti-nutrients, chemicals, or hormones that interfere with our metabolism and/or hormonal balance.

Take care

The people who doubt that there is a correlation between acne-diet just DON'T WANT to believe there's a connection. It is much easier to pop a pill and eat crap than to change your diet. The latter is harder and more time consuming than taking antibiotics. That's y you will never convince some people. The doubters feel they have science on their side, as there have extensive studies done (about 2 flawed ones) ruling out any possiblity of an diet-acne link. And more annoyingly, they then resort to the scientifically-sound argument "well, my friend eats fried food, pizzas and chocolate all day and never gets spots." They conclude from this statement that diet is therefore is not linked to acne.

There is also another type of acne-doubters. These are the people who eat healthily, so they don't need to change their diet. These people do not eat fried food, take-aways or much chocolate. They eat all lots of wholegrains, cereals , some dairy, fruit and veg and meat. Of course this is the type of diet, for reasons discussed above, which can cause acne. There is NO SUCH THING AS A UNIVERSIALLY HEALTHY DIET. Everyone is different. One man's bread is another man's dead.

I think it does affect acne, but the change is not significant.. I am noticing that a lot of people are changing their diet, but also doing something in addition to the diet change (Like the poster above who said she changed her diet and was doing the regimen).. This would really skew results.. Maybe people prone to acne with a bad diet will have their skin slightly affected by it, but people who suffer from moderate/severe acne cannot attribute it all to diet, it's ludacris to think so.. Maybe some flare ups yes, but acne in general, no..

It's pointless to really argue because each person will have their own opinion, and proof to support it.. For every google search that supports diet, there is another one that says diet has nothing to do with it.. It's a dead end.

Yeah, sometimes it feels like it is a dead end, but I wanted to comment on your observation.

Most people that change their diet do so because it was usually their last resort before giving up or trying accutane. Therefore, we've run the gammit of OTC treatments, Prescritption topicals, and Oral Drugs and they weren't effective enough.

People that you see here using topicals are either doing so because they didn't change their diet "enough", or they are using them to eliminate what is currently left, along with the scars.

There are also some people that use supplements and this could also be because they didn't change their diet "enough" or because these supplements are used to treat other problems that dietary changes weren't able to repair.

Everyone has the right to go as for as they feel comfortable with their diet. Everyone should change things at their own pace and if they feel that they "can't" do anymore, then it's absolutely OK to add supplements or topicals to finish it off.

However, those people that follow the right set of dietary changes for them 100%, don't use topicals, supplements, and sometimes don't even wash their faces (or use soap). So it CAN make that much of a difference for the "right" individual.

Take care =)

Euro18,

love that "one man's bread is another man's dead!" those greek/were they greek? philosephors were on to something when they said one mans food is another man's poison!!

It's so true that a "healthy" diet is not one universal diet...some people may actually do better with higher carbs...tha's why it can be confusing and frustrating. i do well and feel better all around when i eat plenty of meat. Also people metabolize/use vitamins differntly...and you never know what someone eats...for example how do you know your friend with the clear skin isn't just consuming more vit. a then you in their diet but they just don't realize it...or maybe people breakout on a strict regimen because it was their diet that has been fluctuacting. I don't think any tiny deviation from a diet is going to give you cystic acne...just stick to a good diet for you in general so that deviations don't cause enuf of a prob to give you a breakout.

BUT, I did get bad acne from soy and being vegetarin....normally I'd agree that diet only moderates milder acne cases, but soy caused acne for me that scarred and wrecked what were genetically perfect teeth (I got my first or second cavity at 20 when i was eating that soy crap and it was downhill from there!)..Of course the media has been very good at hiding the proven negative hormonal effctes this food can have on some individuals. it may explain why, after accuatne five years ago, i have yet to suffer from any obvious breakout, even if i eat junk food. So please be aware that sometimes healthy sounding food can be worse than a bag of greasy chips to some people!

Tka care all, and hope you all find what keep YOU happy and healthy!

Chloe - IR is marked by ease of weight gain. I know one person that suffered from pre diabetes (IR with a fasting BG of around 95) and he could gain 5 lbs literally overnight. Fortunately i'm one of the high metabolism people like you, so I don't have to worry about it.

While I disagree on the how and why diet could affect acne, I think a healthy diet low in refined carbohydrates is a smart way to go - it will lead to a higher skin turnover rate, better sense of wellbeing, and no crashes like you usually get after eating a sugar laden meal. Although those krispy kremes I see lying around at work...I just cannot resist the temptation sometimes. My only issue with extreme low carb diets is that some people don't differentiate between "bad" carbs and good ones - carbs aren't evil especially if one works out a lot.

Yeah, sometimes it feels like it is a dead end, but I wanted to comment on your observation. 

Most people that change their diet do so because it was usually their last resort before giving up or trying accutane.  Therefore, we've run the gammit of OTC treatments, Prescritption topicals, and Oral Drugs and they weren't effective enough. 

People that you see here using topicals are either doing so because they didn't change their diet "enough", or they are using them to eliminate what is currently left, along with the scars.

There are also some people that use supplements and this could also be because they didn't change their diet "enough" or because these supplements are used to treat other problems that dietary changes weren't able to repair.

Everyone has the right to go as for as they feel comfortable with their diet.  Everyone should change things at their own pace and if they feel that they "can't" do anymore, then it's absolutely OK to add supplements or topicals to finish it off.

However, those people that follow the right set of dietary changes for them 100%, don't use topicals, supplements, and sometimes don't even wash their faces (or use soap).  So it CAN make that much of a difference for the "right" individual.

Take care  =)

just think of it this way: everyone is affected/manifests the food they eat, differently. some get fat, some get high cholesterol, some will get acne.

no matter what you are eating (good or bad) the food is doing SOMETHING to you INTERNALLY. from making you heathly, to making you unheatlhy (high cholesterol, clogging arteries, increasing insulin levels, causing acne). and for many of us on this board, diet has been the only thing that works. including me.

i've been on the low simple carb, low sugar, low dairy diet for about ten months. when i stick with it, my skin is CLEAR. when i don't i get acne.

wheni was younger, i did not belive in the diet acne connection. at one point i stopped eating all fast greasy food, thinking i'll be healthy now and skin will get better...but i would still have acne. what was i eating? lots of sanwhiches, pasta, potatoes, cheese, yogurt, white rice, processed cereals, very little vegetables. it wasn't till about a year ago that i realized....these food are not trully "healthy." now i mostlly eat FRESH vegetables and fruit, beans, legumes, leafy greens. i eliminate bread, dairy, sweets, and other processed food as MUCH as i can.

the key for me was not only eating more "real" food, but also eating LOW on the GYLCEMIC INDEX. so bannanas and potatoes and carrots are OUT.

You seem to know a lot abut the diet-acne relationship, so what foods should I try to avoid? Is it only those that are in high in sugar and dairy?

if this were true, diabetics and the acne condition would have a DIRECT relationship. patterns would turn up, and conclusive data can be formed. however, diabetic sufferers and acne sufferers have no link, therefore, the insulin theory, cannot be established.

nice try tho.

Bignose,

Well thanks, but did you not read the above studies? How can you say that there is no direct link, when those and other studies support that Hyperinsulinemia (not diabetes specifically) produces Hyperandrogenism. Patterns are turning up, and more conclusive data is being formed.

Not to mention, we must remember to differentiate the type of Diabetic you are referring to, when you say "diabetes" as no, not all diabetics would be susceptible. When you do differentiate, you find that the majority of Diabetics are Type II Diabetics and they they are all Insulin Resistant. Futhermore you find that people that aren't diabetic, can also be Insulin Resistant, and that this syndrome has MULTIPLE indicatiors of which, acne is only one possibility.

Take care

P.S. If that doesn't suffice, then please explain to me WHY taking an Insulin Sensitizer would reduce my acne?

Also, why are doctors giving these types of drugs to other people that have acne as symptom, via Insulin Resistance mechanism?

People have to choose to want to change. No amount of research would have made me want to change my diet when I had acne in the earlier years. But after 5 years of uncontrollable skin, I would do anything to improve my acne. I thought to myself....there no way in hell I can have massive breakouts if I'm eating whats right for my body. Its been smooth sailing for the past 4 months because of my diet change. Ive seen people on this board say they'll do anything for clear skin...like trade in a finger...or eat dog shit.... :blink: come on guys...krispy kremes aren't that hard to resist! biggrin.gif

Rommie,

I absolutely agree with that. =) As such, I let people do what they want when they are ready to do it. I've had other people that said there was no connection as strongly as those among the boards, and later some of them turned around and asked for help.

Of course, some people won't believe there's a connection if they are still consuming foods that bother their skin, hormones, etc. I eliminated soda, chocolate candy and milk and never noticed a difference. Yet when I eliminated Gluten, I was able to see how those and other foods affected me as well. Unfortunately some of my favorite foods had to go, and even some new foods/ingredients I added to my new diet also had to go, because they caused me problems too.

I just think it's sad that there's people here that speak against things, but don't always bother to back what they say with peer reviewed scientific studies, not to mention an explanation (of some sort). I'm trying to see who's willing to put more effort, knowledge, information etc into things. If newbies listen to them, without hearing the other side, I'm afraid they may get "hurt" because they're doing them a big disservice.

Take care