Photo

Jojoba Oil vs. Emu Oil

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 becauseofashley

becauseofashley

the jersey girl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:12 PM

Seems like Jojoba Oil and Emu Oil basically do similar things....

moisturize and reduce marks left by acne.

Which one worked well for you?
I hear Emu Oil can actually clog your pores and cause breakouts.

I am considering which one to buy when I go on accutane in a month.

Please help and share your thoughts on these products!
Thanks biggrin.gif

#2 JayQ

JayQ

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (becauseofashley @ May 24 2010, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks biggrin.gif

Check out this thread on emu oil:

http://www.acne.org/...49#entry2827549

#3 JoeBloggs

JoeBloggs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:15 PM

Ive used both and Id say jojoba oil is more irritating whereas emu oil didnt irritate my skin at all.

But emu oil seemed to give me more spots than jojoba although it was hard to tell.

Sunflower oil is the best oil Ive ever used though, doesnt irritate my skin whatsover, moisturizes fairly well and doesnt break me out at all.

#4 anniej

anniej

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:17 PM

jojoba oil is much lighter and absorb quicker so i use it as my moisturizer. Emu oil feels greasy but it's better as a spot treament( big and red acne, works great wwith insect bites too).

#5 becauseofashley

becauseofashley

the jersey girl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:19 AM

Has anyone seen excellent results in the healing of scarring from either one of these products?

#6 M Kat

M Kat

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:25 PM

Hi Ashley,

I saw your post on my blog, nice, thank you! But I wanted to say that I don't put it all over my face I just put it on the spots that are healing. Like I said this morning, I woke up after having that breakout and put them on the spots the left over spots and they were totally less inflamed. So, I don't have long term use of this and I am just trying it out so far. It would be nice to hear other input on this. I am going to read the other post that was listed above.

#7 jennyband

jennyband

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:26 AM

hi ashley

just wanted to share this, before i started accutane i cleared up my skin using all natural methods. the only problem was my acne is hormonal and it was bound to come back without some drastic intervention. having had a look at your pictures, i'd say our skin breakouts fairly similar, with alot of it just sitting under skin. accutane seems to be taking care of this, by pushing it out, i'm coming up to the end of month one.

i wash my face with olive oil and follow it with goats milk soap. its really effective on dry flaky skin, oily skin, open pores, clogged pores, scars, redness... basically everything. i tried to use jojoba and emu oil, both of which caused more congestion and evil skin blemishes.

so other than this i try not to do much and let the accutane take effect. the olive oil also means i don't need to OTT moisturiser after the shower and the goats milk soap gets rid of the residue oil.

i've been doing this for a month now and i've found my skin is starting to normalise, getting its own acid mantle back again.

another product that has proven useful is azelaic acid, i have a correction gel (SkinCeuticals 'PHYTO + botanical gel for hyper pigmentation') with this in it and it does help fade red marks. although right now i'm not using it, because i think theres enough going on with the tane.

#8 vodkapoptart

vodkapoptart

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (becauseofashley @ May 24 2010, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks biggrin.gif

I know this topic is a bit old, but I just came across it. I'm not sure which one you decided to choose, but I have been using emu oil for around 4 months. It has lightened my scars a bit, but I also don't leave it on long. I spread it on my face about an hour before I'm about to wash it at night. It gives it time to soak in a bit without staying on too long to clog pores. It does help with acne also. I just ordered jojoba oil, so waiting to try it out.

#9 Heidi23

Heidi23

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:07 PM

I'm not sure about emu oil. But I've tried both jojoba oil and coconut oil and found the later to be most effective. Peep this.

#10 Heidi23

Heidi23

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:10 PM

#11 acgerstenberger

acgerstenberger

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

Hey all~

I've tried emu oil, jojoba oil, and coconut oil. I have VERY oily skin, and only use coconut oil and emu oil at night. I add a few drops of the jojoba oil to my moisturizer. The emu oil does wonders for acne scarring. The scars that I get lasted months on my face - sometimes up to a year. With emu oil, scars don't last but a few weeks on my skin, sometimes even less time. I put the emu oil on my face after I apply all my nightime products, and go to sleep! I use the coconut oil more for wrinkles on my forehead, around my eyes, and on my body. All of which have never caused my skin to breakout.

My stepmom uses apricot oil around her eyes, mouth, and between her eyes, and it has never given her a breakout.

Experiment, I guess? smile.gif

#12 vodkapoptart

vodkapoptart

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

I can tell you I've been using the jojoba oil for a week now and I'm not really loving it. I'm not sure if my skin is purging or if it's clogging my pores and causing me to break out.

#13 becauseofashley

becauseofashley

the jersey girl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for all the replies! Seems a lot of people are having different experiences with different kinds of oils...very interesting...keep posting!

Just finished my accutane course and I didn't end up trying either one. I orded the emu oil online and for some reason my order never went through cry.gif

My skin is currently clear but now its even easier to see all the damage I did to my skin...a lot of scarring and uneven-ness. These are marks that have been on my face for years....would emu oil or jojoba oil even work on this now?

#14 jacquid

jacquid

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE (anniej @ May 25 2010, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
jojoba oil is much lighter and absorb quicker so i use it as my moisturizer. Emu oil feels greasy but it's better as a spot treament( big and red acne, works great wwith insect bites too).

about a year ago I got into a snowboarding accident and I messed up my face really bad. I had two HUGEEEE scrapes on both cheek bones and a cut on my eyelid. Somebody told me to use emu oil so I put it on religiously as moisturizer every time i washed my face (i heard it was good for acne too which was a plus). Anyways, I don't have ANY scars from the accident at all and its only been a year! and trust me, its a miracle that I don't.
Recently, somebody suggested jajoba oil for my hair to help repair breakage and bring moisture to the ends so I started using it and then I ran out of emu oil so I put it on my face and i love it so much more! Its much lighter and it seems to have cleared up acne scars also. I met a guy that knows absolutely everything about skin care products and he said that pretty much any oil is really good for your skin because its acidic so it balances out naturals oils. Not to mention it beats the price of professional acne products by hundreds. Anyways hope this helps!