vitamin vitamins fish oil zinc

2 replies to this topic

#1 torbosk

torbosk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2004 - 03:36 AM

Hi, i'm taking some supplements right now, but i'm wondering if they get absorped correctly. I just wanna sum up the things i think/know already. Please fill in. I think a lot of people are wasting tons of money by taking supplements which barely get absorped.

- vit E is oil-soluble, so don't drink a lot of water with it????
- tea / coffee blocks the absorption of trace elements (maybe vitamins too), so don't take them togheter
- your body absorps best in the morning
- don't take zinc with a lot of fibres/vegetables because that blocks the absorption
- vitamins/minerals absorp better when you've eaten something??? I think this is because they stay in your stumach longer
- maybe i should take my vit E/zinc with my lunch?? i eat my meat then. So vit E is oil-soluble, meat contains lot of fats: ok, zinc is naturally present in meat, so adding zinc would be fine.
- i spread out my fish oil capsules over the day (2 after each meal), dont know if this is right
-maybe we should take our vitamins after some fruit??? Most fruit contain enzymes which enhance the absorption.

Anyone know anything more about this topic?? Like what stuff we can't eat togheter??? I know some guys have more info about zinc. I'm also interested in green thea.

#2 shriek

shriek

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 23 July 2004 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE(torbosk @ Jul 23 2004, 02:23 AM)
- vit E is oil-soluble, so don't drink a lot of water with it????

I think vit E should be taken with meal. this has nothing to do with how much water you drink. as long as there is enough oil in your stomach, it can be dissolved and absorbed effectively.

I read from another thread that it's best to take zinc when your stomach is empty(say, 30 min before you start a meal) to ensure the most effective absorption. but since zinc is also a stomach-irritant, the decision whether to take zinc before meal or with meal is up to how strong your stomach is.
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#3 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 July 2004 - 06:24 PM

I recall the oil soluble vitamins should be taken with a fatty meal--eggs, butter, or something with fat so they can be broken down.
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users