Photo

acne their whole life?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 mslily009

mslily009

Just smile. You'll feel a little better :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

idk why, but I was wondering..
Has anyone ever had acne their whole life?
Not in their childhood years, but afterwards?
Like they got acne, and they NEVER got rid of it?
Lived with it all the rest of their 80+ years?

I don't mean, are you 30 years old and you have had acne since you were 18 or whatever, I mean a lifetime of acne. Anyone in history or you knew?

I was just wondering because we all complain about this happening
but really it's just a part of our life, it's something we have to deal with.
It doesn't last forever, does it?
washing with water, jojoba oil, or a mild cleanser.
mask whenever i feel like it (like 2x a month).
vitamin when i remember.
eating dairy-free for 2 months (trying).

just got off monocycline. life is a lil rough right now, but no one would understand.

OH. number one thing you must know about me. Jesus is my life.
sadly i'm fighting off vanity right now, how pathetic of me.

#2 Searching4simple

Searching4simple

Seriously?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:07 PM

I'm 50 years old and I've had acne for more than 35 years. Bummer, huh!

#3 Searching4simple

Searching4simple

Seriously?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:13 PM

... but there's always a bright side. I stayed in school forever, I have a Ph.D., I teach at one of the best universities in the nation, and I just bought a new car. So there's always a great life to be had, even with bad skin ... keep the faith dear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:26 PM

Moved to Adult Acne.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#5 mslily009

mslily009

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (Wynne @ May 18 2010, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Moved to Adult Acne.

I can't help but picture you as a very annoyed, rude old person. XD
not trying to be mean, I know you're prob not lol, just wanted to say that xP
but thanks for putting this in the right place.
vitamin when i remember.

just got off monocycline. life is a lil rough right now, but no one would understand.

#6 lemmy

lemmy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:00 PM

I've recently reached the conclusion that i'm going to have it all my life. I'm 32 this week, and my still acne follows the exact same pattern that it has done since i was 16. A few pimples followed by a serious breakout, which just about clears up when a few pimples will start to appear followed by a big breakout (repeat ad infinitum).

I can't see why it would just suddenly stop.

#7 mslily009

mslily009

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (lemmy @ May 21 2010, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've recently reached the conclusion that i'm going to have it all my life. I'm 32 this week, and my still acne follows the exact same pattern that it has done since i was 16. A few pimples followed by a serious breakout, which just about clears up when a few pimples will start to appear followed by a big breakout (repeat ad infinitum).

I can't see why it would just suddenly stop.

this is the thing that scares me.
bc you would think your hormonal phase would be over when you get into your 20s
but i feel like this is exactly what will happen to me.

lol, this is a seriously dumb question..
but LEMMY do you use anything to prevent the breakouts?
vitamin when i remember.

#8 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:58 PM

18-30 IS your lifetime haha.
#1.critical nutritional issues- b12(three forms exist), Calcium(yogurt, cheese or calcium phosphate supps) and vitamin d(sun or supps not to exceed 1000 iu). heme iron-most absorbable from meat only, clams are high. these are the most difficult vitamins to get and absorb. All others or about the same in difficulty in absorption. MAgnesium in our food supply is generally low as well, try natural calm supps.
#2 Fats- monounsaturated should dominate(olives), followed by polyunsaturated plant sources(nuts) but not if you have acne. the health benefits of fish oil and fish are controversial and i dont consume them due to mercury contamination and immune supression avoid processed fats if possible.
#3 Protein/amino acids- dairy and eggs best sources for tryptophan and methionine which convert to powerful antioxidants melatonin and glutathione.
#4 Carotenoids- alpha- beta carotene, beta cryptoxanthin, lutein zeaxanthin, astaxanthin. these are vital to human nutrition, carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin, chili pepper and cayenne pepper are the best sources.
#5 Regularity-BM at least once a day, Moist, large stools, 1 piece ideal, no maldigestion, no floating stools indicative of maldigested fat. HOW- insoluble fiber- wheat and cooked vegetables. soluble fiber-oats/ good bacteria ferment soluble fiber making short chain fatty acids that inhibit pathogens.
#6 Circadian cycles-Light, get up with the sun, and expose your entire body to it. darkness-melatonin is released upon the sensing of absolute darkness. sleep in a pitch black room, try to ensure 10 hours total darkness, wear sunglasses before bed. do not eat too late at night.
#7 Desirable physiological states(positive moods/emotions) do precisely what you like and what feels good to you, but not regardless of consequences, just from a perspective that, you own your life, and can determine precisely what you do with it and need not answer or ask of permission from anyone,achieving maximum autonomy and self government.

#9 XC60

XC60

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:15 PM

I've had it for almost 30 years now, so it has felt like a lifetime!
Volvo For Life!

#10 hanzuno

hanzuno

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (mslily009 @ May 18 2010, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
idk why, but I was wondering..
Has anyone ever had acne their whole life?
Not in their childhood years, but afterwards?
Like they got acne, and they NEVER got rid of it?
Lived with it all the rest of their 80+ years?

I don't mean, are you 30 years old and you have had acne since you were 18 or whatever, I mean a lifetime of acne. Anyone in history or you knew?

I was just wondering because we all complain about this happening
but really it's just a part of our life, it's something we have to deal with.
It doesn't last forever, does it?

yes im 32 and i've had acne since 14 years old. I noticed you are on minocin. I've took that for almost 10 years with somewhat success but i would be careful on taking this long term. For me, it made my teeth yellowish, i used to be able to whiten it with whitening products but not anymore. Also i heard it kills good bacteria. One day i was strong enough to stop minocin and lean towards diet and supplements and it has helped alot.

#11 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:58 PM

My dad had acne until he died in an auto accident in his sixties, but by then much of it could have been rosacea and maybe the same citrus allergy that gives me cysts.

I still have acne in my forties, but I've kept it mostly under control for the past several years since I improved my diet.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#12 mslily009

mslily009

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (alternativista @ May 23 2010, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My dad had acne until he died in an auto accident in his sixties, but by then much of it could have been rosacea and maybe the same citrus allergy that gives me cysts.

I still have acne in my forties, but I've kept it mostly under control for the past several years since I improved my diet.

sorry about your dad dontgetit.gif
i should really consider changing my diet, but that won't be possible until fall.
vitamin when i remember.

#13 _MJ_

_MJ_

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:35 AM

My mom still has acne in her 50's. So I will probably have skin problems for the rest of my life too. But I don't have inflamed acne anymore, so I just accepted that's the best I can do, and I take care of my skin obsessively.

I think you can compare it to being overweight: you can't go on a diet for a couple of months and expect to go back to normal and not gain weight again.
Magnifying Mirrors are the enemy

#14 maggitane

maggitane

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (_MJ_ @ May 30 2010, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you can compare it to being overweight: you can't go on a diet for a couple of months and expect to go back to normal and not gain weight again.

Not if you take accutane, I guess. But I guess that's the skin equivalent of having a gastric bypass or something. Ok just ignore me. I reaaaallly need sleep. tongue.gif

The Maggitane log

21/F/54kg (Roche)

Month 1: 20 mg
Month 2: 20 mg
Month 3: 40 mg (in progress)
Month 4: 40 mg
Month 5: 40 mg
Month 6: 40 mg
Month 7: 40 mg

#15 mslily009

mslily009

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (maggipie @ May 30 2010, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not if you take accutane, I guess. But I guess that's the skin equivalent of having a gastric bypass or something. Ok just ignore me. I reaaaallly need sleep. tongue.gif

HAHAHA!! hilarity!! (:
i love being slap happy when you get really tired tongue.gif
vitamin when i remember.

#16 IMakeThemKitKatFries!

IMakeThemKitKatFries!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:35 PM

Sometimes i wonder too if my acne will be with me for the rest of my life. So far its been a patter where i can be clear for 5 months and then ill get pimples for 2 months or so and will need to go back on a antibiotic to clear up. I did this pattern like 4 times already. When im clear i could eat junk food all day everyday and i wont get more than 1 pimple at a time. Its crazy but when it comes back it usually comes back with those bastard cysts and leave me a couple of scars to remind me im still not out of it. Im planning on going on a small prescription of accutane once im done with my fraxel repair because ive heard many good things about people that go on accutane and are acne-free for many years after their course.

#17 maggitane

maggitane

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (mslily009 @ May 31 2010, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (maggipie @ May 30 2010, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HAHAHA!! hilarity!! (:
i love being slap happy when you get really tired tongue.gif

I'm glad that I managed to make somebody laugh with that majorly inapprorpriate joke! lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif But now that I'm more wide awake, I really do think that accutane is similar in some ways to getting gastric bypass surgery; there are health-related risks involved in the treatment (however small they are), and there's a fair chance of the acne returning in the longrun (which of course sucks). It's seriously not a treatment to be taken lightly. >__<

QUOTE (Help Wanted @ May 31 2010, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sometimes i wonder too if my acne will be with me for the rest of my life. So far its been a patter where i can be clear for 5 months and then ill get pimples for 2 months or so and will need to go back on a antibiotic to clear up. I did this pattern like 4 times already. When im clear i could eat junk food all day everyday and i wont get more than 1 pimple at a time. Its crazy but when it comes back it usually comes back with those bastard cysts and leave me a couple of scars to remind me im still not out of it. Im planning on going on a small prescription of accutane once im done with my fraxel repair because ive heard many good things about people that go on accutane and are acne-free for many years after their course.

Would this be your first dose of accutane? I've heard that your cumulative dose has to be high in order to minimise the chances of relapse.

The Maggitane log

21/F/54kg (Roche)

Month 1: 20 mg
Month 2: 20 mg
Month 3: 40 mg (in progress)
Month 4: 40 mg
Month 5: 40 mg
Month 6: 40 mg
Month 7: 40 mg

#18 mslily009

mslily009

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:41 AM

QUOTE (Help Wanted @ May 30 2010, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, I've tried to test is dairy, citrus, or gluten had any bad affects on me by removing each at their own time.. but I'm pretty sure that my acne isn't caused by diet bc nothing changed when I ate healthy and removed each of those things.. confused.gif

vitamin when i remember.

#19 ABM45

ABM45

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

I am 38 and I've had acne since 13. Although, my 20s were much, much better. It has just gotten bad again this past year- and it is definitely hormonal. Oh, and pregnancy was a dream- my skin was breakout-free for 9 months with each kid- plus the months of breastfeeding! If I wanted to spend some more time knocked-up and lactating I'd be set eusa_think.gif . But, alas, I'm done with all that, so now I must trade my OB/GYN for a dermatologist...

#20 lightersUP

lightersUP

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

A lifetime bout with acne is not uncommon... Which makes it even more frustrating to find a solution now rather than later. I have a coworker who's in his 40s and has severe scarring from his acne. He seems fine and adjusted, but always tells me how he wished he took better care of his face when he was younger. Lesson learned.

Oxy Maximum Face Wash

Dickinson's Witch Hazel

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion SPF15