Photo

Tanning

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 evan3037

evan3037

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:12 PM

Yesterday I went tanning for the first time, i went in for 12 min. No noticable change in skin color but back acne seems to be a little bit dried out.

Today i went again only for 15 minutes and I am a little darker in skin color and acne looks even drier.

I will probably go again tommrow.

Im also starting back on Retin A micro which i know makes you more sensitive to the sun. Will my tan be uneven? Will it fuck it up?

#2 hobo2alpha

hobo2alpha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:35 PM

tanning like that will give you a nice tan while your young, but when you get old you sure will look like it. I think tanning to rid your acne is doing more harm, eventual wrinkling, than good for your skin.

#3 evan3037

evan3037

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2004 - 12:11 PM

what about the retin a, will my tan peel off and be splotchy?

#4 Image101

Image101

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2004 - 12:25 PM

I believe with acne medications that make you more sensative to the sun (Accutane, RetinA, BP) you will just burn easier. So you have to be careful.
Acne sux

#5 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2004 - 10:06 AM

the retin-A causes exfoliation. Derms often refer to it as "a peeling agent", which might cause the tan to look very uneven. Personally, I've found that Tazorac (another retinoid, slightly stronger than retin-A) causes significant exfoliation around spots, but not the rest of my skin - which would likely leave you with uneven colored patches.
99.5% Clear (skin gets 'congested' PMS week, but no actual breakouts)
---------------------------
Fragrance-Free Baby Wipes + a few drops Rimmel Makeup Remover solution
3/4 AHA Toner* & 1/4 Glycerin (cotton pad) -- good toner, moisturizer, and makeup base (use less glycerin if not under makeup)
Occasional Treatments (2-3x/week): Exfoliating bp wash* in shower, 2.5% bp lotion* at night
CoverGirl TruBlend Powder Foundation
* = Klear Action Kit (Pro-Activ knockoff)
Gluten-free diet (for non-acne reasons, but it seems to have cleared my acne)

#6 Ally

Ally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 23 July 2004 - 10:25 AM

Be careful if your tanning for the first time. I would maybe only do it for a few minutes then stop, gradually building up over time. The next time you go you could easily burn yourself if your not used to it.
Currently recovering from prolonged moderate breakout

Current Regim:
Trying to avoid: Dairy/Sugar/Carbs/Processed Foods/Alcohol/Caffeine
Suplements: zinc/multi-vitamin/fish oil/ACV tablets/vitamin C/B5
Topicals:coconut oil/Jojoba oil/ACV AM and PM, washing with olive oil soap, BP AM and PM
Current status: couple of small angry white heads which is annoying but they clear up pretty quickly, mainly red marks and scars though

#7 evan3037

evan3037

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2004 - 01:03 PM

im half greek so i never burn, after going for 12 then 15 minutes i dident have any burn whatsoever

#8 torbosk

torbosk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2004 - 01:11 PM

Even if you were completely black you would still be able to burn. I believe totally black skin offers some protection against the sun, but not that much. I read somewhere it is like spf 6 or spf 8. When you are white and totally tanned it is spf 4. But you still get a lot of skin damage and the UV is still burning on your skin. You only don't notice it that much because the rednes isnt visible.
Thats why a lot of black people on the beach still wear sunscreen, to avoid skin damage (wrinkles in the future).

#9 Blitzjade

Blitzjade

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2004 - 04:36 PM

^ Yup, you're about dead on with that!

I highly recommend not indoor tanning! It's not worth the risk of wrinkles and skin damage. Just imagine... When your 40 you will have wrinkled leathery skin and age spots. Yuck!

Just wear a low grade sunscreen when you're outside. It's safer than indoor tanning.

#10 edenfield

edenfield

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2004 - 08:16 PM

indoor tanning is actually WORSE than outdoor tanning

why?

i can't remember fully, but they limit the UV spectrum to just the one that causes the tanning reaction (which is also the most damaing), basically your getting a full dose of the most damaging type of ray.

also your not wearing any sunscreen at all.

just get yourself some self tanner. the new ones are much better than the tacky old ones, they are smooth elegant and are not orangey.
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#11 turbo

turbo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2004 - 11:42 AM

indoor tanning is safer because you get a standarized mixture of uva and uvb rays to minimize burning and outdoor tanning you dont know how much sun you are getting so you are more likey to burn and when you burn is when you are damaging the skin cool.gif
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]