Photo

Soaking Your Face In Ice Water

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 SKguy

SKguy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:09 PM

I was watching some random show no TV today and this one girl who had problem skin before, and still had some redness, was soaking her face in water. It was a huge bowl filled with ice-cold tap water, with actual ice in it. She said it was very very cold on the skin, but helps with the redness. So I was thinking maybe - Wash gently, then soak your face in ice water. I know cold water will really close up your pores and tighten your skin, but would it do anything for post-acne redness marks? Just wondering if anyone has tried it or heard anything about it. I know alot of us steam our faces to help open up the pores before a mask, but what about closing them up really good? I have read of here about people using ice for spots before they come up - it apparently helps keep the inflammation and stuff down.

Just looking for some input!

#2 acnevsme

acnevsme

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE (SKguy @ May 7 2010, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was watching some random show no TV today and this one girl who had problem skin before, and still had some redness, was soaking her face in water. It was a huge bowl filled with ice-cold tap water, with actual ice in it. She said it was very very cold on the skin, but helps with the redness. So I was thinking maybe - Wash gently, then soak your face in ice water. I know cold water will really close up your pores and tighten your skin, but would it do anything for post-acne redness marks? Just wondering if anyone has tried it or heard anything about it. I know alot of us steam our faces to help open up the pores before a mask, but what about closing them up really good? I have read of here about people using ice for spots before they come up - it apparently helps keep the inflammation and stuff down.

well as dan said...cold water doesnt close pores who ever told you is lying actually the apposite is true..cold water opens up pores and hot water closes them,

#3 SKguy

SKguy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:21 PM

well as dan said...cold water doesnt close pores who ever told you is lying actually the apposite is true..cold water opens up pores and hot water closes them,

Yeah, well that's Dan's opinion on this. I don't believe that, even with his awesome hand gestures, I still couldn't wrap my head around it. And I also don't believe it because when I steam my face, I can see some opened up pores. Also hot weather makes your skin excrete more oil. Why? Because your pores are opened up now, so it can come out.

Besides, it's just been passed down forever as common sense that hot water opens pores... rolleyes.gif

But even still ... hot water for redness? No. I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with -basically- icing redness.

#4 Lady Odd Duck

Lady Odd Duck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:23 PM

I think this would only help if your redness were caused by inflamed blood vessels. But I'm no expert.

And pores don't actually open and close.

#5 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:23 PM

Pores don't open and close....

Icing does help with redness. See last link in my signature.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#6 SKguy

SKguy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (Lady Odd Duck @ May 7 2010, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think this would only help if your redness were caused by inflamed blood vessels. But I'm no expert.

And pores don't actually open and close.

Well, I guess I'll just try soaking like this anyways. I already steam/mask twice a week. So do this like every 2 days after, so it's like every other day I'm doing either ice water soak or mask/steam. Hmm, I'll attempt to. Ice is so boring to make, and easy to forget about.

#7 Dove_BC

Dove_BC

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (acnevsme @ May 7 2010, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (SKguy @ May 7 2010, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello
I use Dove soap and it helps really a lot to reduce redness of my face. And just started Regimen today, so we will see. I am not representative of dove soap smile.gif.

Edited by Dove_BC, 02 August 2010 - 12:19 PM.

#8 raexrae

raexrae

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

ive had acne for 6 years and i was probably the most bullied person in my school because of it (i moved 500 miles away and do my classes online now) i use this noxema foam face wash that comes in a blue pump and it really dries out my skin so i started using this aloe vera skin moisturizing gel the moisturizes my face. what i do now is i get my face wet with hot water and put on the aloe vera stuff and rinse it off even though you dont have to then i wait a few minutes and use that noxema foam wash then close my pores with cold water and now my skin is clearing up fast! i started doing this 2 weeks ago and all i have to get rid of is a few blackheads. DO NOT TRY PROACTIVE! i did and i broke out worse. i really hope you try this and hope it helps with your skin. no one deserves acne.

#9 mikedomes909

mikedomes909

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (raexrae @ Mar 11 2011, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ive had acne for 6 years and i was probably the most bullied person in my school because of it (i moved 500 miles away and do my classes online now) i use this noxema foam face wash that comes in a blue pump and it really dries out my skin so i started using this aloe vera skin moisturizing gel the moisturizes my face. what i do now is i get my face wet with hot water and put on the aloe vera stuff and rinse it off even though you dont have to then i wait a few minutes and use that noxema foam wash then close my pores with cold water and now my skin is clearing up fast! i started doing this 2 weeks ago and all i have to get rid of is a few blackheads. DO NOT TRY PROACTIVE! i did and i broke out worse. i really hope you try this and hope it helps with your skin. no one deserves acne.

Hows your acne doing. Did u get red marks due to acne and what made u clear up

#10 TDNB

TDNB

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:54 AM

Pores don't open and close but the skin does contract and and expand..
Which does have a slight affect on pore size.
Not profound by any means and very temporary.

As with all things we (our skin included) are made up of atoms.
When we heat our skin the kinetic energy of the atoms increases and require more space, thus expansion (and vice versa).

Switching between hot and cold is a nice method to clean your skin.
Even if none of what I said was true, sweat from the heat would push out the contents of clogged pores.