Photo

I found what was causing me to break out!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 90nissan300zx

90nissan300zx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:32 PM

So I'm a newer member on here and I've posted a couple of threads about my mysterious sudden bad (cystic) break outs that started somewhere around February 2010. For the past 6 or 7 years my skin has been mostly clear, a couple of minor break outs here and there but nothing major (thanks to Accutane in my later teen years). I thought I had my skin back under control about a month ago but I broke out again, pretty bad; especially around the neck area.

Anyway, a week ago I woke up, and went to the kitchen to make my breakfast like any other morning. Pulled out the box of cereal, got the bowl and was just about to pour.....When all of a sudden it hit me. I had switched to this brand of cereal right around January/February. It was Kashi Go Lean Original.

I stopped for a minute. Turned the box over to the side to read the ingredients and it all fell into place.

Soy Grits and Soy Protein were the two ingredients that stuck out like sore thumbs. I read farther down the box. Out of the 13g of protein per serving, 10g were from SOY. I was eating about 2 servings at once every morning and sometimes as a snack, mid day.

I was overloaded with soy! Since February! I mean I knew it had soy in it from the start but I never put 2 and 2 together until recently. I knew soy could cause allergies in a lot of people but I didn't think I had any problems with it.

Needless to say, I didn't have my bowl of cereal that morning...Or any morning since then. And I have NOT broken out since! The first two days consisted of no real change. No bad, no good. Day 3 I started clearing up. The larger cysts had shrunk a bit and didn't hurt and to top it all off - my skin started to DRY up a bit! Now after I shower, I don't feel like I have to wash my face again 5 hours later. My skin stays pretty much normal throughout the day now. All from one week of staying away from a ridiculous amount of soy.

I am by no means saying that Kashi Cereal is bad. I personally LOVE the stuff, but it doesn't love me. I had switched to Kashi Cereal back in January/February because I got sick of oatmeal every morning. (I try and eat clean and healthy because I lift weights with the goal of getting bulkier). So I figured Kashi Cereal would be a great alternative for me. Wrong. Hell, it even bloated and gave me bad gas lol.

So to people who say "diet has nothing to do with acne", laugh in their face. Everyone is different. What may affect one may not affect another. Dairy may cause you to break out, but not your best friend.

This small change in my own eating habit is proof to myself that soy has a negative impact on me. I guess breaking out was my bodys way of saying "WTF!? stop eating that!".

#2 rutgers7

rutgers7

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:23 PM

I definitely agree, acne has to be caused by diet at least in part. Unlike you, I think for most people it would be hard to isolate a particular source. Diet is definitely good to keep in mind in the back of your mind...great information! Thanks for sharing!

#3 MISSLAO

MISSLAO

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

how long did it take to to see improvement. I think soy is bad for my skin too.

#4 SKguy

SKguy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:33 PM

I honestly think soy products are bad for everyone. Worse than milk. IMO atleast.
Google some research cause I kid you not -- soy milk has more hormones in it than cow's milk.

That's just silly.
So I just have almond milk now. No hormones.

#5 Jkay

Jkay

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:50 PM

I'm curious how would soy milk have hormones in it?
Where do they come from?

#6 l'espoir

l'espoir

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:10 AM

Oooh 90nissan300zx, thanks for pointing that out! I've been eating that cereal every day and my skin has been TERRIBLE lately, and I couldn't figure out why... I never made the connection! I feel so dumb! rolleyes.gif I'm going to take a break from it and see how things go.

#7 LeeCharles

LeeCharles

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:51 AM

Nice one for pointing this out -- might help a few ppl!

@SKguy: Just interested, what does almond milk taste like?

#8 BeadyB

BeadyB

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:43 PM

Well, for starters, Soy Milk isn't milk. ITS JUICE. But soy juice sounds disgusting. Its made from beans, soy beans to be exact. You soak dry soy beans, crush them, and mix it with water. And just as dairy milk can make cheese, soy milk can make tofu. Hope that helps Jkay.

#9 90nissan300zx

90nissan300zx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:12 AM

Sorry I haven't been on here much lately. I figured I'd check things out and make an update...

I originally posted that on May 7th, and today is the 22nd. Like I originally said, the first 2 days I didn't really notice a difference in my skin. But afterwards, my skin started to clear little by little. I STILL have not broken out badly like I was! I got a couple real small ones that have quickly went away, probably related to stress or something. But no more big, red, painful cyst-like pimples. I can't stress enough on how bad soy is, at least for people like me. It's a shame because I really enjoyed that cereal lol. Although I enjoy having clearer skin more.

ALSO, one thing I wanted to make note of. I tried drinking green tea for a couple of days (probably about a week and a half ago), and instantly had to stop. By day 2, I woke up and my face looked and felt like an oil slick. I instantly started doing more in-depth research on green tea and acne and found some pretty interesting stuff; mainly this - http://www.acne.org/...=green tea oily
But the reason I knew it was the green tea right away was because it was the only thing I changed in my diet. So apparently green tea works for some, and for others (including me) it makes matters worse. I don't know how, but luckily I didn't break out bad or anything from drinking it. Just got real oily skin from it.

Hope this information can help more of you!

Edited by 90nissan300zx, 22 May 2010 - 12:13 AM.

#10 xena467

xena467

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (90nissan300zx @ May 7 2010, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I'm a newer member on here and I've posted a couple of threads about my mysterious sudden bad (cystic) break outs that started somewhere around February 2010. For the past 6 or 7 years my skin has been mostly clear, a couple of minor break outs here and there but nothing major (thanks to Accutane in my later teen years). I thought I had my skin back under control about a month ago but I broke out again, pretty bad; especially around the neck area.

Anyway, a week ago I woke up, and went to the kitchen to make my breakfast like any other morning. Pulled out the box of cereal, got the bowl and was just about to pour.....When all of a sudden it hit me. I had switched to this brand of cereal right around January/February. It was Kashi Go Lean Original.

I stopped for a minute. Turned the box over to the side to read the ingredients and it all fell into place.

Soy Grits and Soy Protein were the two ingredients that stuck out like sore thumbs. I read farther down the box. Out of the 13g of protein per serving, 10g were from SOY. I was eating about 2 servings at once every morning and sometimes as a snack, mid day.

I was overloaded with soy! Since February! I mean I knew it had soy in it from the start but I never put 2 and 2 together until recently. I knew soy could cause allergies in a lot of people but I didn't think I had any problems with it.

Needless to say, I didn't have my bowl of cereal that morning...Or any morning since then. And I have NOT broken out since! The first two days consisted of no real change. No bad, no good. Day 3 I started clearing up. The larger cysts had shrunk a bit and didn't hurt and to top it all off - my skin started to DRY up a bit! Now after I shower, I don't feel like I have to wash my face again 5 hours later. My skin stays pretty much normal throughout the day now. All from one week of staying away from a ridiculous amount of soy.

I am by no means saying that Kashi Cereal is bad. I personally LOVE the stuff, but it doesn't love me. I had switched to Kashi Cereal back in January/February because I got sick of oatmeal every morning. (I try and eat clean and healthy because I lift weights with the goal of getting bulkier). So I figured Kashi Cereal would be a great alternative for me. Wrong. Hell, it even bloated and gave me bad gas lol.

So to people who say "diet has nothing to do with acne", laugh in their face. Everyone is different. What may affect one may not affect another. Dairy may cause you to break out, but not your best friend.

This small change in my own eating habit is proof to myself that soy has a negative impact on me. I guess breaking out was my bodys way of saying "WTF!? stop eating that!".

I know what you mean about Kashi. I'm on a low fat low sugar diet and I had thought I could get away with eating Kashi bars as a sweet treat and not break out. well one leads to 2 which leads to 3...and it didn't do my skin any favors. So now I just try to avoid them.