Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leaving Birth Control Behind!!!!!

465 posts in this topic

Eating really well lately. The cookie dough phase has passed, thankfull! I fell SO much healthier now. Eating a lot of fresh veggies from our garden, all organic (carrots, khalrabi, green beans, cucumber, lettuce, etc.) and fresh raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries. Still eating greek yogurt with almonds, etc. for breakfast. Lunch varies but usually includes walnuts and 85% dark chocolate. Snack/dessert = a cup or two of homemade hot choc (cocoa powder, bit of sugar, almond milk).

Skin = okay. Forehead likes to be bumpy (pretty tiny ones but still annoying enough). One spot on my r cheek is a little unhappy but I'm sure it'll be fine. My only real complaint is my jawline... the pores there loved to get clogged for some reason (by my ear as well) and I just can't figure out why. They're usually just tiny raised bumps but I'm sick of them.

Toner = witch hazel. BP at night. Retinol didn't work out AT ALL. It wasn't too irritating or anything - my big problem was the dimethicone. WAY TOO MUCH OF IT! It felt so weird... like something that would not be good for skin like mine (and I guess I was right). It felt like makeup primer when I put it on. Won't be using it anymore. I had really high hopes for it but oh well. Back to BP for now. Still using Elta MD Clear when needed (usually just a day or two each week).

Exercise is good - lots of time on the trampoline, stretching, flexibility, running and playing on the beach, swimming, hiking, gymnastics, etc.

My log following my ups and downs after coming off birth control about a year and a half ago --- still hanging on to hope... trying to improve things with a homeopathic remedy, Retin-A Mirco, and a better diet (using a Vita-Mix)!

:) The description of my log starts with "no prescriptions, no harsh stuff".... well, not anymore :0

I got a prescription for Retin-a micro pump 0.1% yesterday. I will be getting it sometime next week. Here goes nothing. The doctor appointment was $125 out of pocket and the retin-a will be $246!!!! Thanks for the help insurance! NOT!

Lately, my eating has been all over but still decent enough. I am THIS CLOSE to ordering a vita mix. I really think I'm going to.

For sunscreen, I use whatever on my forehead and Elta MD UV Clear on the weekends. I've really been wanting to wear sunscreen during the week as well but the Elta stuff leaves me white/shiny and I think it MAY have the tendency to clog my pores. I found some Cerave Spf 30 that I REALLY like. It blends in nicely and feels great and healthy. So far so good. I'd LOOOOOVE to be able to wear sunscreen every day, rain or shine, summer or winter. This stuff makes a great moisturizer too (another thing I've always wanted to use but have been to afraid to). I've usually just been toning with witch hazel and then dotting cover up on a couple spots and that's how I leave the house. Using a sunscreen/moisturizer would be so nice for my skin.

I really hope this combination of stuff works. Retin a is good for wrinkles/anti-agin too so that would be a HUGE bonus. Sunscreen is great for anti-aging too! So hopefully they both work! My plan is to start using the retina VERY sparingly. Maybe 2-3 nights per week. I really hope this is the answer to finally getting me healthy skin.

I am kind of worried that it will make things worse! My skin has been really decent lately and I hope I'm not making a mistake by switching up my routine. My forehead gets some baby zits/clogged pores every now and then. Cheeks have scars, some clogged pores now and then, large pores by my nose... chin gets tiny zits now and then! Jawline is still annoying from time to time (clogged pores). Overall it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than it has been in the past and I can handle it. So I hope I don't regret this :(

My log following my ups and downs after coming off birth control about a year and a half ago --- still hanging on to hope... trying to improve things with a homeopathic remedy, Retin-A Mirco, and a better diet (using a Vita-Mix)!

:) The description of my log starts with "no prescriptions, no harsh stuff".... well, not anymore :0

I got a prescription for Retin-a micro pump 0.1% yesterday. I will be getting it sometime next week. Here goes nothing. The doctor appointment was $125 out of pocket and the retin-a will be $246!!!! Thanks for the help insurance! NOT!

Lately, my eating has been all over but still decent enough. I am THIS CLOSE to ordering a vita mix. I really think I'm going to.

For sunscreen, I use whatever on my forehead and Elta MD UV Clear on the weekends. I've really been wanting to wear sunscreen during the week as well but the Elta stuff leaves me white/shiny and I think it MAY have the tendency to clog my pores. I found some Cerave Spf 30 that I REALLY like. It blends in nicely and feels great and healthy. So far so good. I'd LOOOOOVE to be able to wear sunscreen every day, rain or shine, summer or winter. This stuff makes a great moisturizer too (another thing I've always wanted to use but have been to afraid to). I've usually just been toning with witch hazel and then dotting cover up on a couple spots and that's how I leave the house. Using a sunscreen/moisturizer would be so nice for my skin.

I really hope this combination of stuff works. Retin a is good for wrinkles/anti-agin too so that would be a HUGE bonus. Sunscreen is great for anti-aging too! So hopefully they both work! My plan is to start using the retina VERY sparingly. Maybe 2-3 nights per week. I really hope this is the answer to finally getting me healthy skin.

I am kind of worried that it will make things worse! My skin has been really decent lately and I hope I'm not making a mistake by switching up my routine. My forehead gets some baby zits/clogged pores every now and then. Cheeks have scars, some clogged pores now and then, large pores by my nose... chin gets tiny zits now and then! Jawline is still annoying from time to time (clogged pores). Overall it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than it has been in the past and I can handle it. So I hope I don't regret this :(

A few big changes:

Started Retin-A Micro 0.1% on Tuesday, September 6th. Tonight will be my third night applying it. No changes so far. I REALLLLLY want this to work. I am going to try using it every night... I'll slow down if it gets too irritated.

Also, I ordered a VitaMix! It is a LOT of money ($479 total... I can't believe it!) but hopefully it's worth it. I'm hoping to completely makeover my diet... for many reasons, not just my skin. I am going to transition over to eating a ton of fruits and veggies... meat here and there (local meat, fresh caught fish, etc...), dairy as needed (mostly just greek yogurt... maybe about 1/2 cup or so/day)... and most of all, cut way back on sugar.

I am also going to bump up my workouts. I slacked for the past few weeks. I want to get back into a lot of strength/flexibility stuff, dance, trampoline, and walks.

Edit: I'm also continuing to use Cerave sunscreen every day. I am excited to be wearing sunscreen every day like I know I should... but I'm also really nervous! I hope all this stuff works out!

I think I'm experiencing the initial breakout??? Or part of it??? Either that or my skin is hating the fact that I put sunscreen on it every day. My chin isn't too happy... clogged pores are abundant... I can live with it for a bit... I just hope it goes away really soon! My skin is slightly more dry than usual but not bad at all... no significant redness...

Been having green smoothies every morning for breakfast... (organic ingredients) - fresh parsley, 1/2 cucumber, 1 or 2 baby carrots, 1/2 avacado, few romaine lettuce leafs, large handful green grapes, 3 ice cubes, 2 green apples...

Have you ever thought about getting rid of all dairy products, chocolates, nuts (almonds), and cutting down sugar intake. Maybe one of those things is the culprit for your break outs.

I personally found out that ALL dairy products cause me to break out. I know drink rice milk. Eating nuts like almonds, pistachios, walnuts, peanut butter, candy bars, that contain any of this also affects my acne.

I cheat a little bit with the soda about once a week, and tha't only taking 3 to 5 "sips".

I'm just trying to help....maybe you can try an elimination diet of things you consider might be triggering your acne.

By the way, I have been dairy/nut free for about 8 months now. I also take spiro and drink lots of water. My face is currently clear.....

This new format has me screwed up on here! Anyways...

Been two weeks since I started Retin-A micro... Saturday was pretty bad - my skin looked awful. Worst it's been in a long time. Things seem to be calming down a bit now... hopefully it just gets better from here... been drinking green smoothies every morning... haven't had any added sugar since last friday. I am trying to only eat natural sugars (like in fruit)...

My morning smoothie = large handful grapes, 2 or 3 apples, a few baby carrots, 2 - 3 cups spinach (yay! I was afraid to eat spinach for a while but I'm giving it another try!), a kiwi, cucumber, avacado, water, and something else like a plum or nectarine.

For lunch I have Greek Yogurt with almonds, grape nuts, and about 6 craisins. Now that it's fall, I can cook a lot more... so that means LOTS of homemade soups full of veggies... I've been eating this for the past few days - veggie ravioli soup (onions, tomatoes, fresh minced garlic, herbs/spices, zucchini, and whole wheat cheese ravioli...

My skin today is okay I guess... some spots are dry (from where I squeezed a clog pore)... like a little dry, crusty scab almost... my forehead seems less bumpy than it was a few weeks ago... I haven't worn sunscreen for 3 days now... been rainy and I'm inside anyways...

@ Espinilla 12 - Thanks for the post. Trying to eliminate foods didn't work at all for me... it really screwed me up and made me crazy about food. For now I'm focusing on doing as much of the good stuff as I can - lots of fresh veggies and fruits, clean meat, complex carbs, lots of water, and doing anything else in moderation (such as dairy).

Been using RMA for 3 weeks now. Skin = pretty crappy (especially this past weekend). I used BP for two nights to try and calm things down. I'm going to try doing RMA 3 - 4 times a week and then using BP on the nights I don't use RMA. I am hoping this will decrease the initial breakout. My skin is freaking out but I'm trying to stay positive.

Still eating green smoothies every morning. Most ingredients are organic (anything from the dirty dozen list is always organic). This morning was 1/2 avacado, 2 green apples, spinach, romaine lettuce, green and purple grapes, carrots, 1 kiwi, 1 plum, few mango chunks, cucumber slices, 1 celery stalk, and probably a few more things I'm forgetting!

Ate some junk over the past weekend (was home visiting family... still haven't figured out how to eat healthy when I'm home). This weekend coming up will be hard too - my sister + her family are coming to visit... this means puppy chow, cookies, cheesy pretzels, popcorn... you name it! I'm not sure how to handle it. I'll have to try my best to practive moderation and stay busy so I don't pay as much attention to all the food.

Skin right now = hard to describe. In certain lighting, there are flesh colored bumps all over! YUCK! Plenty of clogged pores and a couple baby whiteheads here and there... some scaly patches but not too dry... jawline has some crusty spots from old zits (I am so sick of jawline zits!).

Still cleansing with Cerave... occasionally I'll just use my witch hazel toner. Haven't been wearing sunscreen but I did wear some today. I can't wait until I can wear sunscreen without having to worry about breaking out!

Some updates:

Skin: Definitely doing better than it was. Forehead seems to be getting a bit smoother?? Jawline still likes to give me issues. Cheeks are hanging in there. Definitely some clogged pores here and there but nothing too horrible. No drying or flakes or redness really.

Diet: Still doing my green smoothies every morning... I try to vary the fruits/veggies: I fill my 64oz. Vita Mix completely to the top and mix up whatever is in there. Today was: a couple BIG handfuls of parsley, couple BIG handfuls spinach, quite a bit of fresh cateloupe and pineapple, 4 small apples, 1 kiwi, handful baby carrots, 1/2 avacado... I think that's it for the most part. I can't believe the amount of fresh fruits/veggies I'm getting and also the variety. I am REALLY happy with the vita mix!!! For the rest of the day I'm still doing a lot of homemade stuff, especially homemade, high veggie, low-sodium soups. Also been drinking a cup of green tea now and then with a squirt or two of lemon. Been eating homemade chocolate cookies when I need a treat (I made the recipe and they are actually quite decent, my hubby eats them too... they are low sugar, no dairy... replaced butter with canola oil... use a LOT of cocoa powder)... been eating eggs again finally... was scared of those for a while. Also started taking a fish oil pill a few days ago. I'm SOOOO excited to be eating whatever foods I want and no longer being scared that they'll cause zits. I didn't touch fish oil, pineapple, eggs, green tea, etc for a while cause I was worried they'd cause zits!

I am still using RMA... a couple nights a week I skip RMA and use BP instead. I am also still using my cerave sunscreen every day. I feel like the past couple days, I have been more 'glowy'... not shiny/greasy... but glowy... I hope that stays!!!

I've also been working out/streching a lot more. Every morning, I wake up and do approx. 1/2 cardio (some dance, some kettlebell)... afternoons = walking, hauling dirt around the yard, more kettlebell, dance, streching, etc.

Drinking lots of water too most days. Also taking multivitamin. The past week has been really great.

You guys really need to check out Ray J. Wang's eBook "How to Clear Your Acne". Find it through Google. It is $20 but it has been AMAZING. He's a dietician and will tell you from experience how he cleared his acne. It's a bit of a drastic diet change, but if you are really willing, it works WONDERS. I've been plagued with acne for 10 years all over my body and it's well on it's way to disappearing totally and I've only been on the diet 2 weeks.

I've also been on birth control along with every other cream lotion and potion America offers and it did nothing for me.

You guys really need to check out Ray J. Wang's eBook "How to Clear Your Acne". Find it through Google. It is $20 but it has been AMAZING. He's a dietician and will tell you from experience how he cleared his acne. It's a bit of a drastic diet change, but if you are really willing, it works WONDERS. I've been plagued with acne for 10 years all over my body and it's well on it's way to disappearing totally and I've only been on the diet 2 weeks.

I've also been on birth control along with every other cream lotion and potion America offers and it did nothing for me.

Do you really think a man with one measly e-book is going to pay me to "advertise" for him?

I realize that everything in the book can be found online, but it helps to have a specific plan, which is what I gained from reading the book. I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to go onto a public forum and talk about MY REGIMEN that worked for me. I am interested in helping others, not listening to you telling me to shut my mouth. Learn how to spell and get your dick out of your ass.

Thanks.

Do you really think a man with one measly e-book is going to pay me to "advertise" for him?

I realize that everything in the book can be found online, but it helps to have a specific plan, which is what I gained from reading the book. I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to go onto a public forum and talk about MY REGIMEN that worked for me. I am interested in helping others, not listening to you telling me to shut my mouth. Learn how to spell and get your dick out of your ass.

Thanks.

If you asked me, I would tell you exactly what's in it. I just want to give credit to the writer. It's all holistic and has nothing to do with putting chemicals in and on your body. So if you would like, go ahead and ask me.

By the way, I'm a female.

LOL! that last line made me laugh...

okay well im asking so start talking as i think alot of people are just dieing to know something they dont.

I mean shit really? Being a nurse im also familiar with the holistic side of things besides giving out a bunch of meds and taking care of deing people. Im well aware of having a plan, avoiding chemicals and other crap in ones life. Im very familiar all of that from my medical stand point.

Example being my patients being given Simvastatin, which is Zocor a cholesterol lowering medication, even when most people dont really need it. Its just prescribed as "preventative" because in trials it helped X amount of patients. The reality is that this drug causes muscle atrophy which is not a good thing in older people all for the sake of trying to prevent heart disease via lowering cholesterol levels, levels that these patients havent had problems with all there lives-totally unnecessary but it is like the most common drug i give to my patients-. The drug companies also make more money this way because then they get to give you another pill to treat the side effect of that other pill you just took. A vicious cycle... so im well aware that people can age better without the need of prescriptions for "chemicals" just like people with acne can get clear with a plan and can for go the "chemicals" as well.

So again, tell us something we dont know.