Photo

Is 16000 IU/day of Vitamin A too much?

vitamin vitamins vitamin a

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Vasper

Vasper

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

I started taking Vitamin A four days ago and am wondering if I'm over dosing by taking 16,000 IU a day.. it seems to be improving my acne steadily and am impressed with results, but I'm concerned with the bad side effects that might come from over dosing

#2 Searching4simple

Searching4simple

Seriously?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:38 PM

I think Vitamin A is very helpful, but I would reduce it down to no more than 10,000 IU per day.

#3 c'est la vigne

c'est la vigne

All aboard the nekobus!!!

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:48 PM

The recommended daily allowance for vitamin A is 5000 international units (IU) for adults and 8000 IU for pregnant or lactating women. Being fat-soluble, vitamin A is stored to a variable degree in the body, making it more likely to cause toxicity when taken in excess amounts. In contrast, water-soluble vitamins are generally excreted in the urine and stored only to a limited extent; hence, adverse effects occur only when extremely large amounts are taken.

The American Food and Drug Administration has established an RDA of 5,000 IU for vitamin A, with a recommendation that pregnant women maintain their intake around 8,000 IU and that vitamin A be taken in the form of beta-carotene, which is not considered toxic. Therapeutic doses have ranged as high as 50,000 IU for adults. However, any high dose therapy (more than 25,000 IU for an adult or 10,000 IU for a child) should be closely monitored by a healthcare professional.

An vitamin A overdose can be harmful to bones and skin, causing weakness and brittleness, even leading to fatigue and vomiting. Excessive intake of vitamin A is toxic, at dosages of around 20-25,000 IU daily. Consuming more than 25,000 IU of vitamin A per day (adults) and 10,000 IU per day (children) from either food or supplements or both is known to be toxic. For those 19 and older, the tolerable upper limit for vitamin A consumption has been set at 10,000 IU per day. An excess of vitamin A taken during pregnancy can cause birth defects in the fetus. Symptoms of a vitamin A overdose include tiredness, discomfort, lethargy, upset stomach, decreased appetite, vomiting, slow or decreased growth, joint soreness, irritability, headache, drying and cracking of the lips and skin, hair loss, and yellowing of the skin.

#4 Panic!!

Panic!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:08 PM

No offense by why don't you guys do your research before you start playing doctor and mega-dosing on supplements? Its your health man!

Vitamin A over-dose is serious stuff!! Definitely cut it down to no more than 10,000 IU/a day.

To get more Vitamin A, start cleaning up your diet and eating more leafy greens like Spinach.

PANIC

#5 wibble

wibble

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:18 AM

Can you show me some research where damage has been done at just over 10,000 IUs ? Genuinely interested, as I see various quotes, but rarely see actual research on the issue.

#6 c'est la vigne

c'est la vigne

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE (wibble @ Apr 29 2010, 02:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you show me some research where damage has been done at just over 10,000 IUs ? Genuinely interested, as I see various quotes, but rarely see actual research on the issue.

I know it's not a study or anything (I'm terrible at finding them), but this is from Wikipedia:

QUOTE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_A)
Although hypervitaminosis A can occur when large amounts of liver are regularly consumed, most cases of vitamin A toxicity result from an excess intake of vitamin A in the form of vitamin supplements. Toxic symptoms can also arise after consuming very large amounts of preformed vitamin A over a short period of time. (See Polar-bear liver below.) The Institute of Medicine says that the Lowest Observed Adverse Effect Level (LOAEL) for vitamin A, when taken over an extended period of time is 21,600 IU. Most multivitamins contain vitamin A doses below 10,000 IU, therefore multi-vitamins are unlikely to cause vitamin A toxicity when taken at their recommended dosage.

So I suppose people could get away with taking higher doses of vitamin A, but the Institute of Medicine came up with the Daily Tolerable Upper Levels for a reason: to keep people safe and healthy. Plus you need to consider the vitamin A that you'd be taking in through your regular diet in addition to the vitamin A supplements.

Why risk birth defects, liver problems, reduced bone mineral density, coarse bone growths, skin discoloration, hair loss, excessive skin dryness/peeling, angular cheilitis, and idiopathic intracranial hypertension just so you can take more vitamin A than is recommended?

#7 wibble

wibble

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE (c'est la vigne @ Apr 29 2010, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know it's not a study or anything (I'm terrible at finding them), but this is from Wikipedia:

Although hypervitaminosis A can occur when large amounts of liver are regularly consumed, most cases of vitamin A toxicity result from an excess intake of vitamin A in the form of vitamin supplements. Toxic symptoms can also arise after consuming very large amounts of preformed vitamin A over a short period of time. (See Polar-bear liver below.) The Institute of Medicine says that the Lowest Observed Adverse Effect Level (LOAEL) for vitamin A, when taken over an extended period of time is 21,600 IU. Most multivitamins contain vitamin A doses below 10,000 IU, therefore multi-vitamins are unlikely to cause vitamin A toxicity when taken at their recommended dosage.

So I suppose people could get away with taking higher doses of vitamin A, but the Institute of Medicine came up with the Daily Tolerable Upper Levels for a reason: to keep people safe and healthy. Plus you need to consider the vitamin A that you'd be taking in through your regular diet in addition to the vitamin A supplements.

Why risk birth defects, liver problems, reduced bone mineral density, coarse bone growths, skin discoloration, hair loss, excessive skin dryness/peeling, angular cheilitis, and idiopathic intracranial hypertension just so you can take more vitamin A than is recommended?

Thanks C'est La Vigne. I don't disagree with your comments at all btw, I've just found all these recommendations hard to get to the bottom of them and wade through the disinformation. I agree its not worth the risks, but without the figures, its hard to know what are the risks smile.gif. Which is why personally I think the OP was right to ask, they were concerned in the first place smile.gif.

#8 c'est la vigne

c'est la vigne

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:00 AM

QUOTE (wibble @ Apr 29 2010, 02:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (c'est la vigne @ Apr 29 2010, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks C'est La Vigne. I don't disagree with your comments at all btw, I've just found all these recommendations hard to get to the bottom of them and wade through the disinformation. I agree its not worth the risks, but without the figures, its hard to know what are the risks smile.gif. Which is why personally I think the OP was right to ask, they were concerned in the first place smile.gif.

I totally agree. Better to ask and find out than to be willfully ignorant and do something that could possibly harm you. ; )

#9 liquids

liquids

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (Vasper @ Apr 18 2010, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I started taking Vitamin A four days ago and am wondering if I'm over dosing by taking 16,000 IU a day.. it seems to be improving my acne steadily and am impressed with results, but I'm concerned with the bad side effects that might come from over dosing

you are overdosing and you will get bad side effects.

#10 wibble

wibble

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:01 AM

Sheesh, read the thread.

#11 Sahartar

Sahartar

Dedicated Follower of Culture

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:56 PM

there's a guy named sowet who made a thread about his experiences over doing Vitamin A. He's pretty sick now, and lost his hair. Be careful.

#12 Alex_09

Alex_09

Bleh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:59 PM

I doubt that 16,000 IU is going to leave long lasting damage. I would still lower it to 10,000 just to be on the safe side. You never know if you could be one of those sensitive people.

#13 *DNA

*DNA

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:30 PM

I take around 15k IU just from whats in my multi and a vision mixed supplement. Read around before doing a megadose of anything outside what a multi provides. There are a lot of vitamins you can get away with cause they just flush out the system until you get overworked. The ODs might not take a toll on you're body until a few months.

Just read outside here and don't base off one opinion without doing due diligence. I would also be weary of most RDA's too.

#14 Swits

Swits

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:05 PM

if you want try it for two-three weeks. if you notice no improvement, stop taking it or go down to 10 000.

#15 sdnova

sdnova

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:13 AM

First of all, you can't tell someone they're overdosing if you don't know what form of vitamin A is being taken... there's 2 types, with different guidelines.

The retinol form of vitamin A is the type to be concerned with, and shouldn't be taken in doses over 10,000 IU. Although slightly higher doses can be taken for a short term

However, the beta-carotene form of vitamin A is much safer, because it's processed differently. The retinol form is stored in our body, which is what makes it easier to reach toxic levels. But that's not an issue with beta-carotene, and you can safely push it up to 100,000 IU... even though that's a bit overkill.

The beta-carotene form is also the more recommended type for skin issues, so make sure your vitamin A isn't the retinol form, and dose away!!