Photo

Anti-inflammatory foods

low-glycemic paleo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chocobot

Chocobot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:36 PM

I was looking at nurtiondata.com and I noticed that all the foods that break me out are foods that cause inflammation. Basically the usual suspects that we try to avoid when we go towards a diet like paleo, or low-glycemic diet.

Just thought I'd mention that, maybe it can help others here. It sure made it even more obvious to me what I should eat more or and less of. Other than allergies, I think I should not seek to outright eliminate certain foods, but limit their place in my diet while focusing on eat low-GI and anti-inflammation foods.

BTW, a bit unrelated but I am now 100% sure I am allergic to eggs. I had stopped eating eggs before because I would get white-head breakouts on the back of my neck if I consumed them (raw in smoothies, or hard boiled, so I assume any way I eat them really). It was terrible, my shirt's collar would touch them and it would get worst. I started eating them again a few years ago in smoothies and stopped for the same reasons.

Well yesterday I ate two and BAM, the bumps on my neck started appearing a few hours later!

No more eggs for me:p

Edited by Chocobot, 13 April 2010 - 07:36 PM.

#2 manifest

manifest

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:16 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE nutritiondata.com

Its interesting how foods you presume are healthy some times for one reason or another arnt....

#3 tree23

tree23

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:52 AM

I miss nutritiondata! I used to use that site like every day when I was ...geez probably 14 or 15. It was very helpful when I first started REALLY learning about nutrition and researching all the things I put into my body. I can't remember what my old username and stuff was so I just resigned up! thanks for reminding me about the site!

I don't see a way to search for inflammatory/anti-inflammatory foods. Am I missing something??

#4 tree23

tree23

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:04 AM

ahh so I've been on nutritiondata for 5 minutes and I've discovered that all beans are inflammatory. what the hell!!?! baked, black, adzuki, great northern, navy, kidney, white.... all mildly to moderately inflammatory. sad.gif

Guess I'll have to start eating a big salad whenever I eat beans... even if they have no negative effects on me, once I know stuff like this, I can't help but thinking 'maybe this is gonna break me out' while I'm eating...

#5 joris

joris

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:06 AM

You could eat eggs, just eat some more spinash/kale to even it again. But i also noticed this conneciton time back. Milk banana etc all inflamatic.

#6 Polska Laska

Polska Laska

*Be thankful for the little things in life*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:14 PM

This site is very useful! There is a tool on this site where you enter in your height, weight, physical activity level and what activities you do daily and then it makes a huge chart of how many calories you need, and which vitamins and how much you should be getting everyday. Very useful stuff. (nutritiondata.com/tools/calories-burned)

#7 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE (tree23 @ Apr 14 2010, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ahh so I've been on nutritiondata for 5 minutes and I've discovered that all beans are inflammatory. what the hell!!?! baked, black, adzuki, great northern, navy, kidney, white.... all mildly to moderately inflammatory. sad.gif

Guess I'll have to start eating a big salad whenever I eat beans... even if they have no negative effects on me, once I know stuff like this, I can't help but thinking 'maybe this is gonna break me out' while I'm eating...

That's the lectins which probably have a direct impact on acne. Soaking/fermenting/sprouting all seeds reduces the lectins. And cook them with lots of onions and garlic which are anti-inflammatory. I also throw greens in at the very end of cooking.

#8 universe

universe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

Confused, i've just been on Nutritiondate and it lists chillies and spices as one of the most anti-flammatory foods but I always thought they would cause inflammation. I was told to cut out spices by a chinese herbalist who i once used to see for my acne.

#9 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (universe @ Jun 19 2010, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Confused, i've just been on Nutritiondate and it lists chillies and spices as one of the most anti-flammatory foods but I always thought they would cause inflammation. I was told to cut out spices by a chinese herbalist who i once used to see for my acne.

Nope. Just about all plant herbs and spices are very anti-inflammatory. Rule of thumb: If it's from a plant but not a seed, has strong flavor and bright color, then it's full of antioxidants and therefore, anti-inflammatory,.