Photo

the paleo diet

paleo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2004 - 04:03 AM

i came across this diet while searching for diet-acne studies. the idea is that we should eat what our species has evolved on.

here are the basics (from www.thepaleodiet.com )

When you make Stone Age recipes with modern foods, remember you want to insure that all of the ingredients are free of: 1) grains 2) legumes, including peanuts 3) dairy products, 4) salt 5) yeast [baked goods, pickled foods, vinegar, fermented foods and fermented beverages all contain yeast] 6) processed sugars, 7) starchy root vegetables [potatoes, yams and sweet potatoes] and 8) do not contain excessive added fats except for permitted oils.  You should try to choose the leanest cuts of domestic meats and trim away any visible fat.  Remember, the mainstays of The Paleo Diet are fresh fruits, vegetables, lean meats and seafood.

there is also a research article about how non-westernized societies have much lower rates of acne.

check out #7 for the abstract: http://www.thepaleod...om/articles.htm

#2 Ally

Ally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 18 July 2004 - 07:43 AM

Yeah I've heard of that diet though it was reffered to as a "cave man" diet, I think it makes sense.

I'm basically trying to base my diet around fresh fruit and veg, meat and lots of water. However at least 20% of my diet is still things like bread, cereal, dairy. Seems to be working though.

I just don't understand why certain people (doctors especially) insist that acne and diet are not linked.
Currently recovering from prolonged moderate breakout

Current Regim:
Trying to avoid: Dairy/Sugar/Carbs/Processed Foods/Alcohol/Caffeine
Suplements: zinc/multi-vitamin/fish oil/ACV tablets/vitamin C/B5
Topicals:coconut oil/Jojoba oil/ACV AM and PM, washing with olive oil soap, BP AM and PM
Current status: couple of small angry white heads which is annoying but they clear up pretty quickly, mainly red marks and scars though

#3 Sam The Man

Sam The Man

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 18 July 2004 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE(bountyhunter @ Jul 18 2004, 04:30 PM)
I just don't understand why certain people (doctors especially) insist that acne and diet are not linked.

Probably because there aren't enough studies to prove that they are linked.

That paleo diet sounds expensive as hell. In order to get enough carbs from it, you'd have to eat tons of vegetables. And I'm all for fairly low carb diet anyway, but it would be pretty hard to get carbs from those foods. Unless you want to get most of your carbs from fructose.
So it sounds good, but could be pretty difficult in practice. Just my opinion.
Who wants to be normal? Who wants normal results? We want to be exceptional. Exceptions confirm what is not normal

#4 euro18

euro18

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 18 July 2004 - 08:41 AM

I think it's a very good diet to aspire to, even if you don't quite abide by it 100%. Even if you follow it 80 or 90% , you will notice improvements in your skin.

#5 Ally

Ally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2004 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE (bountyhunter @ Jul 18 2004, 04:30 PM)

Probably because there aren't enough studies to prove that they are linked.

There definetly needs to be more studies into the link between diet and acne.
However few groups or companies would be willing to do it as financial rewards would be non existent.

And I doubt it that the large drug companies would be keen for evidence to appear that acne was linked to diet, thus depriving them of profit.
Currently recovering from prolonged moderate breakout

Current Regim:
Trying to avoid: Dairy/Sugar/Carbs/Processed Foods/Alcohol/Caffeine
Suplements: zinc/multi-vitamin/fish oil/ACV tablets/vitamin C/B5
Topicals:coconut oil/Jojoba oil/ACV AM and PM, washing with olive oil soap, BP AM and PM
Current status: couple of small angry white heads which is annoying but they clear up pretty quickly, mainly red marks and scars though

#6 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

24 Hour Revenge Therapy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:25 AM

The big thing about acne and diet is that it has effects on some people, while in others, there seems to be no connection. But still, I suppose that is just acne medication, which is why there are so many different treatments out there. Either way, it is stupid to deny diet's effect on acne just because one has never experienced it personally.
President Bush is a fucking rubber.

#7 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2004 - 12:13 PM

24 Hour,
Aww, Thank you. This:
I suppose that is just acne medication, which is why there are so many different treatments out there. Either way, it is stupid to deny diet's effect on acne just because one has never experienced it personally
is the sweetest thing I think anyone has ever said ;-)
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#8 hobo2alpha

hobo2alpha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2004 - 12:21 PM

the best type of research for acne and diet is by possible trying this out:

follow the standard prescribed Standard American Diet.

then if you want to really clear your acne, try the www.freeacnebook.com and it's sample diet. This is the only way the myth about acne and diet can be solved is by following a strict diet that will prevent and clear your skin versus the SAD approach.

see for yourself!

#9 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2004 - 12:52 PM

Someone said it best when they said it is linked for some and not for others. Personally, I stay away from any acne if I drink at least 3 liters of water a day. On days in the last year where I skimped on that (not having enough time to even get H2O), I'd get noticeable acne within 2 days. But no food effects me in any way. Just dehydration.

#10 hobo2alpha

hobo2alpha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2004 - 02:08 PM

that's interesting!

one of wai's things is that drinking enough water(by itself or through fruits) is helpful in preventing acne, because it helps deport water throughout your body and it also effects the water and dirty protein in one's face.