Free Personalized Advice
 Take the Quiz »
x
Photo

I am very angry...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Phagandhi

Phagandhi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2004 - 02:31 PM

Using BP I can have it so I never get a single zit for weeks at a time. However, if I drink milk I break out. I cannot imagine living a life without milk. I can have products with a little milk, but if I make cereal and use milk, BREAKOUT TIME. I love milk so much. Chocolate milk mmmmmmmm sad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

#2 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2004 - 03:08 PM

Milk allergy?

#3 Lady Bug

Lady Bug

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2004 - 03:14 PM

Hey, if only Id just breakout with milk. You know how most people are lactos intolerant, Im totally allergic to it :unsure: . I havent had a glass of milk for 6 years. I cant have cheese,sour cream, ice cream, certain chocolates, yogurt, ect. My throat closes up and I get something close to strepp throat and If I dont go to the doctor to get I shot, there are chances of me having a seizure. :twisted:

You can get an allergy test from the doctor, and that way you can find out exactly what the problem is. Or you can test it your self by drinking some then none at all. Good luck

#4 Ally

Ally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 18 July 2004 - 09:38 AM

Soya milk? I tried some chocolate soya yesterday and it was suprisingly nice, if I hadn't been told it was soya I wouldn't have known the difference.

#5 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

24 Hour Revenge Therapy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:19 AM

Soy.

#6 robby

robby

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2004 - 12:41 AM

you know milk causes a huge increase in insulin levels, right? even though it's glycemic index is low, it still causes a surge in insulin. that might be why.

#7 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2004 - 02:06 PM

That's not true; not for everyone. I have a history of diabetes in the family and so I monitor my insulin levels every once in a while. Milk doesn't change a thing.

#8 Mdawg202

Mdawg202

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 19 July 2004 - 02:21 PM

I know how u feel, milk's my favorite drink, couldn't go a day without it

but isn't there cow hormones or something in it, is that y it breaks u out?

I'll try but a week without milk is sooo hard and soy milk :sick: but if that's the only way out... :shifty: :sick:

#9 Ally

Ally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2004 - 03:16 PM

Yeah I've also heard about milk being full of cow hormones too, but soya milk ain't too bad at least not the chocolate stuff.

I used to drink tons of milk purely because I was addicted to cereal, about three bowls a day, when I heard about the whole diet acne thing I gave up cereal over night. I didn't drink milk for about four months then recently I started eating cereal again :wall: I have since got the worst breakout since I gave up cereal....

#10 Mdawg202

Mdawg202

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 19 July 2004 - 03:22 PM

:eek: 4 months and no cereal? cereals like my favorite snack I'm serious, first thing i eat when I'm hungry, sit down with a nice big bowl of cereal

theres got to be another way :pray:

#11 Ally

Ally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2004 - 03:25 PM

I went out and bought a packet of crunchy nut cornflakes yesterday and ate the whole packet in two sittings.....how I regret it, all that sugar,milk and carbs.

#12 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 July 2004 - 04:50 PM

Buy milk that is certified organic with no hormones.

#13 Long

Long

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2004 - 05:10 PM

When I first went on my less milk diet I ate my cereal with water in it. (Hoo-Boy the things you'll do for better skin). When I got around to trying soy milk it didn't taste so bad at all.

#14 Chloe646

Chloe646

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 19 July 2004 - 06:21 PM

Soy milk>>>>I'd stay away from it UGH.....soy gave me cystic acne that left some scars...Anyway, cereals and milk affect my skin negatively....I dropped the milk products (that I then dumbly started eating again) and it's really made a diff in the oiliness/clarity of my skin....Grains/"bad" carbs, dairy, soy...I try to avoid them>now I'm stricter about it because i looked in the mirror after forcing myself to drink three liters of water a day as well and my clogged pores have SIGNIFICANTLY improved, much better than if I'd applied any topical, plus my tone is more even.

It's difficult to wean yourself off of grains but once you cut down on them your craving virtually disappears after two weeks, it really does. Stick with some grains a week, not daily>replace grains with veggies, and cut out junk food>FYI dairy affctes my skin more than grains so I nix the dairy altogether>also LOW FAT dairy is a little more forgiving if you just treat yourself here and there. In high school I lived on junk foof but my acne wasn't too bad I bet if I'd eaten healthy I would have only had a very mild case and never needed meds>take diet seriously, it works

#15 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2004 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE(robby @ Jul 18 2004, 11:28 PM)
you know milk causes a huge increase in insulin levels, right? even though it's glycemic index is low, it still causes a surge in insulin.  that might be why.

No, its not why. Milk is not high on the glycemic index in relation to other items, but even if so, that is not why.

#16 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2004 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE(emmanuel @ Jul 19 2004, 03:37 PM)
Buy milk that is certified organic with no hormones.

Why though? I've stated this before, but hormones are biounavailable in the digestive tract. Even if its spiked with grams of testosterone and other androgens, there is no way its doing anything because androgens aren't usable in oral form.

#17 robby

robby

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2004 - 11:40 PM

ummm bodybuilders take grams of steroids (androgens) orally all the time. I would say androgens are definitely usable and provide effects in oral form. sure the liver limits its effectiveness compared to injecting, but androgens are def. useable in oral form.

so hormones, if they do matter, matter.

#18 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:24 AM

Please know what you're talking about before replying

Oral steroids are bioavailable simply because they're simply c17-alkylated, and are slowly broken down in the liver. This is the ONLY WAY a hormone can be made bioavailable, and is only used in pharmaceuticals.....but you can't simply drink testosterone and have it do anything.

#19 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:51 AM

Robby,
Perhaps you meant it increases Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 (IGF-1) or Insulin Resistance. =)

http://www.acne.org/...pic=26582&st=15

"Type 2 diabetes, which develops because of an inherent and/or an acquired failure of an insulin compensatory response, is increasingly seen from early puberty onward, as is atheromatous disease leading to coronary heart disease and stroke. A predisposition to certain cancers and Alzheimer's disease is also now recognized. The looming tragedy from growing numbers of individuals affected by obesity/insulin resistance syndrome requires urgent public health approaches directed at their early identification and intervention during childhood. Such measures include educating the public on the topic, limiting the consumption of sucrose-containing drinks and foods with high carbohydrate and fat contents, and promoting exercise programs in our nation's homes and schools."
http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=15181020

"Such low-GI foods may or may not influence glucose tolerance at a subsequent meal. Consequently, certain low-GI breakfasts capable of maintaining a net increment in blood glucose and insulin at the time of the next meal significantly reduced post-prandial glycaemia and insulinaemia following a standardized lunch meal, whereas others had no 'second-meal' impact. These results imply that certain low-GI foods may be more efficient in modulating metabolism in the long term. Although the literature supports a linear correlation between the GI and insulinaemic index (II) of foods, this is not always the case. Consequently, milk products elicited elevated IIs, indistinguishable from a white bread reference meal, despite GIs in the lower range. This inconsistent behaviour of milk products has not been acknowledged, and potential metabolic consequences remain to be elucidated."
http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=10889806
(although this one agrees with your first statement that it increases Insulin levels, thus how it may also increase IGF-1)

#20 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:57 AM

Ben,

Milk may play a much higher role in Type II Diabetes than Type I Diabetes, what form does your family have?

http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=14520022

"Milk and diabetes.

Schrezenmeir J, Jagla A.

Institute of Physiology and Biochemistry of Nutrition, Federal Dairy Research Center, Kiel, Germany.

Type 1 diabetes is based on autoimmunity, and its development is in part determined by environmental factors. Among those, milk intake is discussed as playing a pathogenic role. Geographical and temporal relations between type 1 diabetes prevalence and cow's milk consumption have been found in ecological studies. Several case-control studies found a negative correlation between frequency and/or duration of breast-feeding and diabetes, but this was not confirmed by all authors. T-cell and humoral responses related to cow's milk proteins were suggested to trigger diabetes. The different findings of studies in animals and humans as well as the potential underlying mechanisms with regard to single milk proteins (bovine serum albumin, beta-lactoglobulin, casein) are discussed in this review. In contrast to type 1 diabetes, the etiology of type 2 diabetes, characterized by insulin resistance is still unclear. In a population with a high prevalence of type 2 diabetes, the Pima Indians, people who were exclusively breastfed had significantly lower rates of type 2 diabetes than those who were exclusively bottlefed. Studies in lactovegetarians imply that consumption of low fat dairy products is associated with lower incidence and mortality of diabetes and lower blood pressures. In contrast, preference for a diet high in animal fat could be a pathogenic factor, and milk and high fat dairy products contribute considerably to dietary fat intake. Concerning milk fat composition, the opposite effects of various fatty acids (saturated fatty acids, trans-fatty acids, conjugated linoleic acid) in vitro, in animals and in humans have to be considered"
http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=10759142

Thanks