Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pinksparkle

Vitamins while on accutane?

5 posts in this topic

How many of you are taking vitamins while on accutane? I mean obviously I know you can't take vitamin A, but are there any others I should be taking? What about iron or biotin?

My Accutane Log <3

Month 1-Claravis 40mg

Month2-Claravis

Month3-Claravis

Month4-Claravis

Month5-Claravis

(: (: (: (: (:

Vitamins- Biotin, Fish Oil, Vitamin E

Products- Purpose Gentle Cleanser, Aquaphor, Cetaphil lotion and cream, softlips chapstick, Joico shampoo and conditionor

I would like to know what other Dr's say about this also. My Dr. told me to be safe take nothing. I had wanted to take fish oil (which she said most likely had some form of Vit A in it), biotin, and a Vit E (she said an anti-oxidant would inhibit the effectiveness of Accutane). This is my second time on Accutane and after the first round I felt like I had aged. My skin had been so dry I felt like I had more wrinkles and some new stretch marks. Many patients mention taking these supplements why is my Dr telling me to take nothing?

During my accutane course I was taking:

Biotin

Fish oil

Probiotics

Vitamin b12

Daily vitamin (most have vitamin a so watch for that)

Milk thistle

All these were OK to take. My dermatologist said vitamins are fine, as long as there is no vitamin a in them.

Regimen:

AM: CeraVe foaming face wash, 100mg Spirolactone

PM: CeraVe foaming face wash, witch hazel, Acne.org AHA+

Been taking Sprio since 1/2013

Science says that vitamin E isn't useful for reducing Accutane's side effects (1, 2).

There's no rationale for using probiotics on Accutane because Accutane is not known to affect gut flora (unlike antibiotics).

I wouldn't worry with too many supplements on Accutane, except maybe fish oil if you get joint pain:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17335973

Good luck

I used probiotic while on accutane because of years of damage from antibiotics. Not because accutane messes with your gut flora.

Regimen:

AM: CeraVe foaming face wash, 100mg Spirolactone

PM: CeraVe foaming face wash, witch hazel, Acne.org AHA+

Been taking Sprio since 1/2013