This topic is archived.
27 replies to this topic

#1 yungbuk

yungbuk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:47 PM

i take a swab of vaseline with a q tip and mix in about 3-4 drops of lugols iodine till its a redish orange paste. then apply it to the scars. i use it for indented and raised scars it works good. i apply it religiously for 2 weeks so far and my scars deff look better. btw i been suffering from acne for more than 9 years. gl if u decide to try it

#2 smoothmove

smoothmove

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:05 PM

could you give a little more detail as to how they look better? and do you do this once a day?

#3 yungbuk

yungbuk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:21 PM

let me jus say i use to be selfconcious about my scars. but after doing this for 2 weeks im almost comfortable with my skin. id rather not seem to exagerate abotu results, id rather let ppl try it for themselves... when i say religiously i mean all day everyday for 2 weeks. and wait till maybe 3-4 days after you stop it really see what your skin looks like after it has healed. gl guys

#4 smoothmove

smoothmove

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:29 PM

Thanks for your input!

#5 Scars4Life

Scars4Life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:39 PM

Do you use the vaseline as a means of stopping evaporation, instead of the plastic wrap, or what made you use it. Btw seems interesting, pictures might be a bit more interesting though.
Hey, it's Scars4Life

#6 Mr President

Mr President

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (Scars4Life @ Mar 23 2010, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you use the vaseline as a means of stopping evaporation, instead of the plastic wrap, or what made you use it. Btw seems interesting, pictures might be a bit more interesting though.

interesting post. hows it differ to applying the iodine normally?

Edited by cartwheeling_monkey, 23 March 2010 - 12:57 AM.

#7 Scars4Life

Scars4Life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:04 AM

The only thing I can think of, is that when you apply iodine normally, only about 10% of it actually goes into your skin and the rest evaporates into the air. With vaseline, you could trap and keep the applied iodine in place.
Hey, it's Scars4Life

#8 Mr President

Mr President

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:59 AM

QUOTE (Scars4Life @ Mar 23 2010, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only thing I can think of, is that when you apply iodine normally, only about 10% of it actually goes into your skin and the rest evaporates into the air. With vaseline, you could trap and keep the applied iodine in place.

that makes sense mate. might also stop the drying effect that comes when using iodine alone. as for any overall improvements, i dont see how there can be any. both ingredients on their own have had little effects in almost everyone on this site. vaseline definitely doesnt reduce scarring more so than any other moisturiser and the effects of iodine is still being proven. people who have been using iodine for many months still are not sure. i remember when i first started using iodine, the initial effect was more misleading. my skin was preparing to peel and that temporarilly hid the majority of the scars i treated. once i peeled, they appeared again.

i used to use vaseline when i was pretty young. when i used to get pimples and picked them, id apply vaseline to help them heal. little did i know its very comogenic and gave me more acne than i wouldve had otherwise. as i got older i used to pick, lay out in the sun and apply tonnes of vaseline. overall i wouldnt recommend anyone here to use vaseline, due to its potential to clog mores, cause more acne and scarring and make your problem worse. i purchased a moisturiser about a week ago called Complex 15. it had the highest ranking in the review section for its inability to clog pores. i found after using it i broke out too. so maybe moisturisers themselves are terrible with acne.

sometimes these kinds of threads worry me. people try things and create threads with products that have little scientific backing. whilst its great people comment and all, it might be more worthwhile to put our efforts moreso towards the treatments we know to work. im sure most people like myself dont want to be here forever and it seems easy to become list between the treatments that do work and random threads dealing with nothingness.

Edited by cartwheeling_monkey, 23 March 2010 - 03:13 AM.

#9 Scars4Life

Scars4Life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:25 AM

Well if you have a scar, it shouldn't have any pores for vaseline to clog, and vaseline doesn't clog pores anyways, but it could block them while you have it on though. In this case this is only used as replacement for a wrap, and probably a much more effective one. But I just need to know or see what kind of scars we are talking about here, how deep is it, I don't care much for raised scars.
Hey, it's Scars4Life

#10 yungbuk

yungbuk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:46 AM

hey guys thanks for your responses. i use vaseline to keep the skin moisturized which is crucial for your skin to heal. i believe it also helps the lugols penetrate better and not evaporate. i sometimes use a layer of gause over it. as far as clogging pores believe me on this one. my nose use to be covered in blackheads i use deep clean cleanser maybe 1-2 a day and every 1.5 days i use the cleanser and washcloth to exfoliate. then u can moisturize ur skin knowing theres no dead skin to clog yoru pores. i use cocoa butter skin oil. i get alot of black heads on my nose but biore strips works great for me i spray the sticky side of the strip with a fine layer of mist and wet my nose and apply and pat down gently with a paper towel leave on for 20 minutes. i know im going on and on but i forgot that exfoiliating is a good part of using vaseline or you will get black heads.

u guys wear me out dot.gif

#11 Scars4Life

Scars4Life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:54 AM

What kind of an improvement have you seen on your indented scar, and how deep is it.
Hey, it's Scars4Life

#12 Maldition

Maldition

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:55 AM

The excess of iodine in the organism can create hypertiroidism or hypotiroidism.

The regeneration tisular by diode , it is something that works (or not) as seems for witness, and not for quantity of diode.

Only to have precaution.

Edited by eterna_maldicion, 23 March 2010 - 04:20 AM.

Scars are like diseases, destroy the lives of people...

#13 Scars4Life

Scars4Life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:00 AM

A couple of drops of iodine taken internaly does no harm, and actually can help with some stuff. As for the same amount applied topically, it won't do much at all to your body. But who knows maybe this guy does actually have a really deep scar and its regenerating. Though very hard to believe that after two weeks it provided noticeable improvements to an indented scar, or maybe he is talking about a scarred pore, who knows. Clarify!!
Hey, it's Scars4Life

#14 tj101

tj101

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (Scars4Life @ Mar 23 2010, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A couple of drops of iodine taken internaly does no harm, and actually can help with some stuff....

How much would a couple of drops be in milligrams?

Iodine taken internally can cause acne flare ups.

#15 Scars4Life

Scars4Life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:33 PM

That would be a myth.
Hey, it's Scars4Life

#16 ScarsPro

ScarsPro

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:35 AM

QUOTE (yungbuk @ Mar 22 2010, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i take a swab of vaseline with a q tip and mix in about 3-4 drops of lugols iodine till its a redish orange paste. then apply it to the scars. i use it for indented and raised scars it works good. i apply it religiously for 2 weeks so far and my scars deff look better. btw i been suffering from acne for more than 9 years. gl if u decide to try it

Iodine clogs pores....and so would vaseline...so you would end up getting more breakouts.
Iodine does improve scaring, i've tried it, but its very temporary and actually stuffs your skin texture up overtime if you overdo it (been there done that!).

Edited by ScarsPro, 25 March 2010 - 05:30 AM.

#17 Scars4Life

Scars4Life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:14 AM

You are the second person here to say iodine actually improved your scarring. What type of iodine did you use and how long did you use it to see results.
Hey, it's Scars4Life

#18 ScarsPro

ScarsPro

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:30 AM

QUOTE (Scars4Life @ Mar 25 2010, 05:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are the second person here to say iodine actually improved your scarring. What type of iodine did you use and how long did you use it to see results.

Betadine, and I saw results immediately. Im not sure if the skin was just micro-swelling from the Betadine? or the actual Betadine was doing it. The temporary nature of its improvement suggests it might just be microswelling.

All in all, this is another useless method imo. Snakeoil as they say.

#19 Scars4Life

Scars4Life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:39 AM

Why betadine? What made you decide to use that? And yeah if its immediate results, its no real improvement.
Hey, it's Scars4Life

#20 ScarsPro

ScarsPro

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE (Scars4Life @ Mar 25 2010, 05:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why betadine? What made you decide to use that? And yeah if its immediate results, its no real improvement.

Actually I had a small facial wound I was nursing and I noticed, as a byproduct, the positive temporary visual effects on my existing scars. So purely accidental.