zit zits saw palmetto

5 replies to this topic

#1 kristine99

kristine99

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:09 PM

I've read a lot about people who have hormonal acne in the 10 days before their periods--but my biggest breakout is about 2 weeks after the first day of my last period (around what should be ovulation time). I can't seem to figure out what hormones are causing this (maybe excess estrogen) and/or what supplements will balance out my hormones during this time. I'm trying: evening primrose oil, saw palmetto, and vitex supplements. Aleve during this time somewhat helps with inflammation but not with preventing the huge zits themselves. I also stopped eating dairy and that's helped with my more static zits, but not with the sudden breakouts. I feel helpless. I know there were some threads on this years ago, but no new updates/information.

Bottom line: mid-cycle I erupt and I don't know how to stop it! Help!

#2 davis507

davis507

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:23 AM

Yes this is when my acne breaks out too and considering my period is irregular I ovulate sometimes twice a month, which means i always have some kind of hormonal acne going on. I think I have read that estrogen is suppose to help acne because it balances out the hormones in your body that are responsible for causing hormonal acne. Most of the birth control pills I have researched that are suppose to help with acne have higher estrogen in them. I might have read bad information though, knowing the internet. I do not know what to do with myself as well. I have heard really great things about Aldactone for hormonal acne. There is always birth control if u can tolerate it (I cannot or I would be using that, as I hate topicals) I have been using Black Cohosh a week now....not sure if it is helping yet. That is suppose to help with womens hormonal issues. Washing with a 2% Salicylic face wash a few days before and around the time you expect your eruption might help. It helped me before i got Rosacea. I know it is just a very frustrating mess.....I would be interested in some ideas about this myself.

#3 kristine99

kristine99

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

I should also add that I have used hot compresses to reduce inflamed zits and it actually makes some whiteheads actually DISAPPEAR instantly! However, I've continued this and am not sure I'm getting any more progress past my initial results... I've also read steaming/hot showers/washing with hot water in general are harmful to the skin and cause more acne, so I don't know if what I'm doing is different... Also, whenever I'm on vacation and spend a lot of time in ocean water, my skin gets noticeably better as well.

#4 lara6

lara6

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:49 PM

I'm the same I get them more early or mid cycle, and NOT before period.

I started taking Evening Primrose Oil about 2.5 weeks ago (b/c its helps regulate hormones) and I have barely broken out!! I'm pretty excited, I hope it lasts...

I've heard different things about hot compresses, some people say cold compress is better. I like to steam my face (but not TOO hot) and then do an aspirin mask (I do this every other night).

I also drink a green smoothie every morning (for the past 2 months), I think this has helped a lot too.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure that zinc supplements break me out - even though they help 90% of people....but then 90% of women get pre-menstrual acne, so I'm not surprised that my body just works differently for some reason....(it IS frustrating though).

#5 kristine99

kristine99

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:13 AM

QUOTE (lara6 @ Mar 20 2010, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm the same I get them more early or mid cycle, and NOT before period.

I started taking Evening Primrose Oil about 2.5 weeks ago (b/c its helps regulate hormones) and I have barely broken out!! I'm pretty excited, I hope it lasts...

I've heard different things about hot compresses, some people say cold compress is better. I like to steam my face (but not TOO hot) and then do an aspirin mask (I do this every other night).

I also drink a green smoothie every morning (for the past 2 months), I think this has helped a lot too.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure that zinc supplements break me out - even though they help 90% of people....but then 90% of women get pre-menstrual acne, so I'm not surprised that my body just works differently for some reason....(it IS frustrating though).

Do you think the aspirin mask helps over a longer period of time with the acne or with the redness? And what do you mean by green smoothie? I know what you mean about working differently than everyone else--it seems like it's hard to get answers because it's never what everyone else has! I'm a few weeks into my evening primrose, but I hope my other supplements aren't getting in its way...

THANKS!

#6 lara6

lara6

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:47 AM

I think the aspirin mask helps clear your pores right away. I don't have a lot of redness, so I'm not sure if it helps that or not.

Also I don't know what topicals you use, but I only use jojoba oil, that's it. Sometimes tea tree oil to spot treat.
If you have redness, you might have sensitive skin and you'll want to take it easy if you're using something like benzoyl peroxide.

Green smoothies are fruit smoothies that also contain leafy greens. The fruit completely masks the taste of the greens. You get tons of vitamins, it's good for your liver and the rest of your body. You can do a search on google or this site has a huge thread on it in the Nutrition/Holistic section.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users