Photo

Had Lots of Dairy today

dairy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Makaveli

Makaveli

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:17 PM

Okay, so I want to really prove/disprove this dairy thing.. I am going on intervals where I don't eat dairy for moderate periods of time, and then eat dairy and see if their is a difference.. I had a lot today.. Cake, Sour Cream, Chocolate, Vanilla Sauce (Was at a restaurant so went nuts) and I'm going to see if I get any new zits within the next 3 days .. Follow-up to come.

#2 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:28 PM

The only thing that seems to aggravate my skin, not necessarily with acne....is spicy foods. Stuff thats loaded with salsa and whatnot....I have never had a problem with dairy (thank god). Whats the basis behind dairy possibly causing acne, out of curiosity? I think many people say hormones, but hormones aren't absorbed at all in the digestive track.
before you judge me take a look at you
can't you find something better to do
point the finger, slow to understand
arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand

- Metallica, "holier than thou"

#3 Catwoman

Catwoman

Little red riding hood

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE(Makaveli @ Jul 15 2004, 04:04 PM)
Okay, so I want to really prove/disprove this dairy thing.. I am going on intervals where I don't eat dairy for moderate periods of time, and then eat dairy and see if their is a difference.. I had a lot today.. Cake, Sour Cream, Chocolate, Vanilla Sauce (Was at a restaurant so went nuts) and I'm going to see if I get any new zits within the next 3 days .. Follow-up to come.

Cake, chocolate, vanilla sauce...I like this diet. smile.gif

I think this is a test specifically for your response to dairy...as many have attested, it's different for everyone. Dairy doesn't seem to effect me very much...I hardly ever have anything dairy as I'm lactose-intolerant. And it makes no difference in my skin.

If it weren't for my body not liking dairy too much, I'd OD on ice cream, cake, and chocolate all day every day. Yum. wink.gif

#4 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:43 PM

You still can. There are some digestive aids for those that are lactose intolerant....

Having a high metabolism is great, I can snack on that stuff all day long
before you judge me take a look at you
can't you find something better to do
point the finger, slow to understand
arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand

- Metallica, "holier than thou"

#5 Catwoman

Catwoman

Little red riding hood

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE(evigrex @ Jul 15 2004, 04:30 PM)
You still can.  There are some digestive aids for those that are lactose intolerant....

:shh: *shhhh*

(I'll gain 50 pounds in the next 2 weeks if my brain found out about all those lactaid pills I can take before dairy.) :wink:

#6 hobo2alpha

hobo2alpha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:16 PM

makaveli,

you have to keep this in mind: everyone responds differently to everything and anything!

just because you will have found a correlation/not a correlation doesn't mean it is the rule.

I look forward to your findings! Sounds interesting!

#7 Makaveli

Makaveli

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2004 - 11:41 PM

^yea, I know that, it's more like personal findings, but could apply to others.. Everyone is indeed different, but we also share some similarities.

#8 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

24 Hour Revenge Therapy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:46 AM

I noticed my diary connection when I started cutting down on milk and things containing milk and saw a small improvement. Then I had a huge amount of icecream one night and a couple of days later, I got some of those big, deep types of zits, and I hadn't gotten any of those in a while. So I eliminated dairy alltogether and have seen a notable improvement, but I am still not 100% clear. There has to be something else. Plus my back still looks like total shit.
President Bush is a fucking rubber.

#9 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:00 AM

The cake is really high glycemic, which will also likely produce a response. Try to stick with foods that do not combine the dairy with other potential acne aggravators (that will give you a better idea if it is in fact tha dairy that aggravates your acne).

I do try to avoid major dairy items, since they don't agree with my stomach too much. I haven't given up cream-based sauces though.

If dairy does prove to be your problem, you may want to experiment with aged cheeses, which have a much lower lactose content. Cream is also better than milk, but not drastically so.
99.5% Clear (skin gets 'congested' PMS week, but no actual breakouts)
---------------------------
Fragrance-Free Baby Wipes + a few drops Rimmel Makeup Remover solution
3/4 AHA Toner* & 1/4 Glycerin (cotton pad) -- good toner, moisturizer, and makeup base (use less glycerin if not under makeup)
Occasional Treatments (2-3x/week): Exfoliating bp wash* in shower, 2.5% bp lotion* at night
CoverGirl TruBlend Powder Foundation
* = Klear Action Kit (Pro-Activ knockoff)
Gluten-free diet (for non-acne reasons, but it seems to have cleared my acne)

#10 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:13 AM

Yeah, it would be best not to combine dairy with other types of foods in general. Cake combines not just sugar, but wheat and that's a big problem for some acne sufferers. What you may want to do is try to induce it by consuming cheese, yogurt, natural ice cream (less sugar), and milk at least 3x a day. But in all honesty some intolerances (you can be intolerant w/o the symptoms of lactose intolerance) are hidden behind a larger intolerance (for me it was gluten) and you may not find a correlation. Also, you may not find a connection until you give up most or all dairy products for a few weeks and then try to induce a reaction as you are doing now. LOL, that's how I figured it out at least.
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.