Photo

Vegan Diet

vegan red mark

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

24 Hour Revenge Therapy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:24 PM

Has anyone heard or read anything in regards to a Vegan diet and acne? I can't seem to find much info about this type of diet and a correlation to skin, but I have found a few tid bits here and there that do indicate that this might be something to try, especially for those of us who have seen improvement after cutting out dairy.
For me, my face is almost clear (thanks to Dan's Regimen, salyclic acid, and dietary changes). I get about one small whitehead/inflamed comedone a week. However, the red marks tend to add up, I'd rather just see the last bit of this probelm go away.
My back, however, is another story. The acne has improved slightly after the diet changes, but no where near enough (this can probably be accreditted to inconsistant topical treatment). I'm going to be starting Botchla's Regimen on my back in hopes that I can make progress there as well. If my back was as clear as my face is, I wouldn't mind.
But yeah, the point of this post is to see if any of you are trying, have tried, or know anything about the vegan diet and its potential effect on acne problems. Any insight is welcome, but I'd rather not see anybody coming here spouting off about how "diet and acne are not related". After all, this is the Diet/Holistic Health portion of the board, and I have personally seen proof otherwise.
President Bush is a fucking rubber.

#2 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:41 PM

Personally, i tend to get very tired and rundown (and really, really irritable) if I go too long without eating meat. I figure my ancestors probably ate the little critters throughout a million or so years of evolution - who am I to argue (especially when I'm adversely affected by it). Dairy, on the other hand, tends to make me feel bloated and not really well. Not surprising, since my ancestors probably didn't suckle too many cows lol.gif wink.gif .

I also have a problem with high glycemic foods - they tend to make me tired and rundown, and cause my knees to throb.
99.5% Clear (skin gets 'congested' PMS week, but no actual breakouts)
---------------------------
Fragrance-Free Baby Wipes + a few drops Rimmel Makeup Remover solution
3/4 AHA Toner* & 1/4 Glycerin (cotton pad) -- good toner, moisturizer, and makeup base (use less glycerin if not under makeup)
Occasional Treatments (2-3x/week): Exfoliating bp wash* in shower, 2.5% bp lotion* at night
CoverGirl TruBlend Powder Foundation
* = Klear Action Kit (Pro-Activ knockoff)
Gluten-free diet (for non-acne reasons, but it seems to have cleared my acne)

#3 MechE06

MechE06

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 15 July 2004 - 01:32 PM

Well, a lot of people say that dairy aggravates their acne, so eliminating it could definitle help. I've never heard of anyone saying anything about meat. But you could try organic, lean meats if you think that would be better for your acne.

Also, I don't know if you know this, but salmon and flaxseeds are supposed to be good for your skin.

I'm trying Perricone's diet now to see how that helps me, we'll see how that goes...

#4 Chloe646

Chloe646

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2004 - 01:36 PM

For me personally, a vegan/vegetarian diet destroyed my skin! It was the soy. I ate it for just under two years and ate soy (which was the main culprit). Don't do it, it was the biggest mistake of my life and I felt like shit on it but still kept eating it becasuse years ago it was advertised all over the place as SO healthy and I just thought i was sick. Anyway, dairy DOES cause some extra oiliness for me but i would personally steer clear of a vegan diet, you won't heal well and it may worsen your acne.

By the way, I haven't had a significant breakout (maybe one obvious one) in over five years, ever since I took accutane when I was vegetarian and especially since i stopped being vegetarian. All I get now are clogged pores and some acne scars that and I know I would hardly have any of those those if I had taken the accutane when I was not vegetarian and had never gone veggie.
The warmth of the sun reminds her of the day-she remembers the day when things were going her way-only memories remain-of the way she used to be-She stays home every night and exaggerates her past..all the old photographs were never thrown away-what made her cry-she'll never go back again-the way she used to be

#5 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2004 - 03:33 PM

Well, I can't vouch for the poor healing abilities, but yes you can be a vegan even, and have clear skin IF you know what foods to avoid.

Some people simply go vegan or vegetarian and improve, but others found that they had to also reduce their glycemic load. You can absolutely be a vegetarian and not consume soy protien, if that is a concern. You can also be a vegetarian and follow a low carb diet or even more strict, a gluten-free or "evil" lectin free type diet. You can acquire protein from vegetables, select gluten-free whole grains, and nuts and seeds.

If wieghtloss is a concern, remember that calories, fat, and carbohydrates all play a direct role in Insulin Resistance, Wieght gain,etc. So the more calories you consume, the more problems you may acquire, but most high calorie foods tend to be the "bad" ones. So if you want to gain weight, just eat more of the healthy fruits, veggies, & nuts.

Oh and that reminds me, some people can be intolerant to allergenic foods, that they normally aren't allergic to. So you may want to experiment with eliminating no only dairy, wheat, but also citrus fruits (some only had to eliminate these or all fruits), bananas, nightshades (peppers, tomatos, potatos), shellfish (maybe it's not the iodine), and various nuts, especially peanuts. I don't have problems with all of those, but that's just to give you an idea of all the posssibilites that are out there when it comes to dietary changes and acne and how following vegan diet w/o considering the above, may backfire on you.

HTH
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#6 FantasyCLover

FantasyCLover

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2004 - 12:35 PM

oh boy i'm a vegan and i eat tofu everday. everything in my life evolves around tofu and soy protein. i never thought soy would have a countereffect on acne. *cries* I cant live without soy, and I dont have the guts to even LOOK at meat.

#7 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2004 - 10:34 PM

you don't have to eat meat or soy ;-)
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#8 Chloe646

Chloe646

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2004 - 11:38 PM

I find it DAMN interesting that a lot of people on this board eat soy..I don't think it's a coincidence that it's acne.org and there are a lot of tofu/soy milk consumers here. i bet the vegetarians eating soy think they're following a very healthy diet and are confused as to why their acne is getting worse, leaving scars, etc...I sure was years ago.

I WILL SAY THIS VERY CLEARLY>STOP EATING SOY OK>I DON"T CARE HOW MUCH YOU LOVE IT?NEED IT?ARE USED TO IT>I was like that too but damn straight even a glimmer of info on soy's bad side on the web made me STOP....

IF YOU WANT TO FEEL BETTER AND LOSE THE ACNE: TRY STOPPING SOY, IF NOT THEN ENJOY THE BREAKOUTS AND SCARS>YOU"VE BEEN WARNED...

Look, I KNOW I SOUND HARSH BUT I"M DOING IT FOR YOUR OWN GOOD AND FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I WISH SOMEONE HAD TOLD ME THIS>I have blood tests to PROVE soy messed with my hormones/healing abilities so this is not just my "hunch" I've got PROOF.

ASK YOURSELF THIS>Do you love soy enough that you're willing to suffer with bad acne, scars, and risk your health for it???? I DON"T

FYI TEMPEH and MISO/fermented soy are reportedly safe
The warmth of the sun reminds her of the day-she remembers the day when things were going her way-only memories remain-of the way she used to be-She stays home every night and exaggerates her past..all the old photographs were never thrown away-what made her cry-she'll never go back again-the way she used to be

#9 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

24 Hour Revenge Therapy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2004 - 02:09 AM

That was stupid. Everybody's body reacts differently to things.

#10 euro18

euro18

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2004 - 08:46 AM

Chloe , I really think you need to calm down and stop scaremongering. I think you've made your point that consuming soy had a negative effect on your acne. Thank you. For others, it will have no effect.

#11 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 July 2004 - 05:12 PM

I am wary of soy also. I tried that soy cream that's supposed to make your hair grow less, and I swear it broke me out. I don't break-out anymore, and it was the only new thing I was using--I keep it simple, so I can find out if something breaks me out. Anyway, I stopped and I am back to being clear(yay).
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#12 Chloe646

Chloe646

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2004 - 06:32 PM

Look, I know people are affected differently by diet, that's very true (and no 24 hour, i don't think my point was stupid at all, since a lot on this board seem very insistent on consuming soy fairly frequently, yet are still complaining about their skin)...And I'm not "scaremongering">It's simply exasperating that people are more willing to buy into media hype than actual scientific studies (hey I fell for it too remeber)...soy did not directly and only cause acne>it caused an underlying condition in which acne was a symptom for me>>>People can take info or leave it.

Anway, I was really more critical of a vegan diet and eating too much soy, but okay this is the last time I'll mention it. just would hate to see people suffer needlessly :shifty:

#13 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

24 Hour Revenge Therapy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2004 - 09:23 PM

I understand the point you were making. I understand that soy does tend to break some people out. I probably shouldn't have said that your argument was stupid, but when things are presented to me as absolutes, especially when applied to something as subjective as this, a little animosity is bound to develope.

#14 edenfield

edenfield

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2004 - 09:59 PM

just a note, asian people who have been eating soy for centuries have the required enzymes etc and body types to digest soy. most of the studies that prove the health links with soy are with asian descendents. this may not apply to western people, or just people that haven't had their ancestors eat soy. same goes with milk, some people here can consume it, but most asians are intolerant to a degree
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#15 Chloe646

Chloe646

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2004 - 11:13 PM

Yeah, diff diets work for diff people....I know asians probably wouldn't do too well eating lots of red meat where it's commonplace in other cultures. But don't asians also eat lots of fish and some meat as well, and is their soy carefully prepared/fermented>i ask this because soy inhibits iodine and seafood/salt is rich in iodine so asians both bodywise and their diet as a whole works with soy. For moi, and I think most Euro's, it would probbaly be wise to do without.

#16 ritzvin

ritzvin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2004 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE(edenfield @ Jul 20 2004, 11:46 PM)
just a note, asian people who have been eating soy for centuries have the required enzymes etc and body types to digest soy. most of the studies that prove the health links with soy are with asian descendents. this may not apply to western people, or just people that haven't had their ancestors eat soy. same goes with milk, some people here can consume it, but most asians are intolerant to a degree

I've always assumed the same was probably true of rice. Whenever I've eaten meals high in rice for 2 days in a row, I've gotten more rundown and depressed than usual. I later learned that jasmine rice (and many rice varieties) have extremely high glycemic indices (and high glycemic foods do cause fatigue in me). I figured that rice probably isn't a problem in the cultures where rice has been around for a very long time. I wonder if it's been around in the East for longer than bread has been around in western diets (since I have problems with bread as well).
99.5% Clear (skin gets 'congested' PMS week, but no actual breakouts)
Fragrance-Free Baby Wipes + a few drops Rimmel Makeup Remover solution
3/4 AHA Toner* & 1/4 Glycerin (cotton pad) -- good toner, moisturizer, and makeup base (use less glycerin if not under makeup)
Occasional Treatments (2-3x/week): Exfoliating bp wash* in shower, 2.5% bp lotion* at night
CoverGirl TruBlend Powder Foundation
* = Klear Action Kit (Pro-Activ knockoff)
Gluten-free diet (for non-acne reasons, but it seems to have cleared my acne)

#17 lowfreq

lowfreq

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2004 - 09:45 PM

Being a vegetarian is a ticket to trouble. Eating soy or beans or other protein sources does not complete the amino acid profile that our bodies need to operate normally. If you don't want to eat meat, eat fish!

#18 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

24 Hour Revenge Therapy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2004 - 09:42 AM

Fish is meat.

A complete protein is beans and rice. You need the rice to complete the protein.