Photo

Eating organic/healthy on a budget

gluten

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#41 ShadowGirl93

ShadowGirl93

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

I have the same problem.
I buy whatever I can that is healthy/organic, and buy things that go far, such as pasta, rice, canned goods, sauces, and cheap veggies, such as carrots. I grow tomatoes and squash and herbs.
When I can't buy enough health food, I tend to just not eat much.
That's bad, I know.
But I got used to it.

#42 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

Be sure to always compare the organic produce with the inorganic. Lately I've been noticing that the prices often aren't much different on many things like apples and grapes.

#43 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

See if you can volunteer at a CSA or Coop. I just discovered that one very near me gives you $10 in credit for every 2 hour shift to be used for food and the membership fee. And I work the last shift in which they sort through whatever can't be stored for the following week for donation and they let you take things. Plus 3-4 members don't pick up their shares. I took a bunches of kale, swiss chard, sorrel, mint, a cucumber, an avocado, a couple of pounds of tomatoes...

And they need quite a few people to do this although in this case it's partly because it's not that well run and people in charge hamper your ability to work quickly.

Edit- this week I got a ton of carrots, more kale, strawberries, blueberries, onions, zucchini and yellow squash, a couple each of tomatoes and avocados.. And that's all for free. I haven't used any of the credits I've earned to buy anything yet.

Edited by alternativista, 21 May 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#44 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

Foraging -

Look around. You probably have neighbors with fruit trees that don't pick or use their fruit.

And, mulberry season just ended here, but it's maybe just starting further north. These trees crop up everywhere. They are weeds, literally. I just figured out some of the weeds that were always popping up in my potted plants and yard were mulberry trees. The birds drop the berries everywhere. I recently discovered that the area along the bayou where I walk my dog was full of them.

Soon it will be black berry season here.

Not too long ago, it was Lowquat aka Japanese or Chinese plum season here. And no one ever picks those. I foraged quite a few of those as well.

Suma previously mentioned Dandelion greens which are a superfood. But make sure they don't spray anything where they grow. Apparently many people are obsessed with keeping them out of their yard. I don't get the obsession with lawns. They are such wastes of space and energy. Especially in Texas and elsewhere in the south where we grow San Augustine which is not food for any animal..

There's also purslane, another super food that is also mucilaginous which means it's healing to your digestive tract. That also means it's slimy. Add to your smoothies if you can't take the slime any other way. It's a common weed in many people's gardens. I keep trying to get it to grow in mine, but it won't. Around me, I only find it in cracks in asphalt. And I don't want to eat things growing in asphalt...

Lambs quarters are a relative to spinach, but I'm not sure exactly what it looks like. It should have the same basic shape.

Edited by alternativista, 21 May 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#45 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

See if you can volunteer at a CSA or Coop. I just discovered that one very near me gives you $10 in credit for every 2 hour shift to be used for food and the membership fee. And I work the last shift in which they sort through whatever can't be stored for the following week for donation and they let you take things. Plus 3-4 members don't pick up their shares. I took a bunches of kale, swiss chard, sorrel, mint, a cucumber, an avocado, a couple of pounds of tomatoes...

And they need quite a few people to do this although in this case it's partly because it's not that well run and people in charge hamper your ability to work quickly.

Edit- this week I got a ton of carrots, more kale, strawberries, blueberries, onions, zucchini and yellow squash, a couple each of tomatoes and avocados.. And that's all for free. I haven't used any of the credits I've earned to buy anything yet.

Bump. Because there is probably one near you. And it takes quite a few people to run them and most are volunteers. Right now I have more free organic stuff in my fridge than I'm going to be able to eat. And a gallon-size baggy full of apricots in the freezer. That's for 2 hours work, one day per week.

Edited by alternativista, 12 November 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#46 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

Does anyone grow their own veg? I would like to try growing cabbages and other green veg but not sure whether to grow in the garden soil or use plastic troughs.

#47 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

Does anyone grow their own veg? I would like to try growing cabbages and other green veg but not sure whether to grow in the garden soil or use plastic troughs.

It's usually easier to use some kind of raised beds both for weed control and for soil quality. I don't have enough sunlight in any one spot in the spring and fall to grow much of anything in beds. I have herbs in a bed in the front and tomatoes and bell peppers in pots. Sweet peppers are a very good thing to grow yourself as they should be organic. Oh, and I have sweet potatoes kind of everywhere. The vines explode every summer, and except when I put them in puts, I haven't ever dug up all the potatoes and so they volunteer and spread each year.

My attempts to grow greens haven't worked out because the cats always want to sleep and dig in the pots I plant them in.

#48 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

Its mulberry season here on the gulf coast again. Free berries. Early, before most other things come in season. And thy are everywhere. And if I remember right, high in resveraterol which is very beneficial for hyperkeratinization which is at the root of acne formation. Soon there will be blackberries here. And there already has been those Asian plums aka loquats which are in people's yards but no one ever picks. They've diminished around here though because of the drought.

And I'll reiterate. Try to volunteer at a CSA, coop or garden where you can get free food. I've had my own garden filled with greens since October, but hardly eaten anything from it because I got so much free organic food from my 2 hour a week gig at a co-op.

#49 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

I just discovered the leaves are edible nutritious and make great tea. Aids sugar metabolism.

See these for a whole lotta claims about mulberries:
http://www.eatthewee...hallucinogen-2/

I guess I closed the other page. I believe it had an Indian slant. Lots of tea talk.

Or maybe it was this one. Lebanese. Apparently they were once the number one supplier to France. Lots of recipes http://www.tasteofbe...rry-leaves-tea/

Edited by alternativista, 29 April 2013 - 06:36 AM.

#50 wheatfree

wheatfree

Have you nurtured your soul today?

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

The best way to go gluten free is to focus on protein and fruits and veggies. Don't buy a bunch of gluten free bread and stuff--it is expensive and most of it has lots of fat and sugar to make it palatable. Corn tortillas make a decent bread substitute for a sandwich (just call it a "wrap"). Save the spendy gluten free products for an occasional treat instead of a diet staple. Thai kitchen makes some really good and really affordable rice noodle bowls that are gluten free. In my grocery they are by the ramen noodles. There are things out there, but you have to search around.

#51 TreatAcne

TreatAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 49
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

The best way to go gluten free is to focus on protein and fruits and veggies. Don't buy a bunch of gluten free bread and stuff--it is expensive and most of it has lots of fat and sugar to make it palatable. Corn tortillas make a decent bread substitute for a sandwich (just call it a "wrap"). Save the spendy gluten free products for an occasional treat instead of a diet staple. Thai kitchen makes some really good and really affordable rice noodle bowls that are gluten free. In my grocery they are by the ramen noodles. There are things out there, but you have to search around.

Excellent point. People may as well be avoiding bread overall, unless by pure chance they happen to have all the necessary tools, grains, and slow cooked ovens that we did in the past which didn't make bread as harmful and processed as it is today. Also, what do they replace gluten with? Other things that may be even worse:

#52 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

Cutting out processed foods and bottled drinks frees up a lot of money to be spent on real food.

#53 janetjoseph67

janetjoseph67

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

I don’t understand the hype about organic because sometimes it’s just not possible to have access to organic food, but even otherwise you can eat healthy on a low budget. Eggs for example are really healthy and high in protein and pretty affordable, the same with fruits and veggies. 

#54 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

I don’t understand the hype about organic because sometimes it’s just not possible to have access to organic food, but even otherwise you can eat healthy on a low budget. Eggs for example are really healthy and high in protein and pretty affordable, the same with fruits and veggies. 

Normal eggs are not  'pretty affordable', they are dirt cheap. Ridiculously cheap.  Because of how poorly and un-hygeianically they are raised and fed.  And then you get the salmonella outbreaks.

And local. small farmed or home grown organic food isn't hype.  Everyone needs to do the best they can to obtain it.  Hence this thread.

Excellent point. People may as well be avoiding bread overall, unless by pure chance they happen to have all the necessary tools, grains, and slow cooked ovens that we did in the past which didn't make bread as harmful and processed as it is today. 

It's not the baking that needs to be slow, it's the fermenting and raising.  And you can do that at home. Special tools aren't really needed.

#55 TreatAcne

TreatAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 49
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

Excellent point. People may as well be avoiding bread overall, unless by pure chance they happen to have all the necessary tools, grains, and slow cooked ovens that we did in the past which didn't make bread as harmful and processed as it is today. 

It's not the baking that needs to be slow, it's the fermenting and raising.  And you can do that at home. Special tools aren't really needed.

Sorry, of course that's what I meant neutral.gif .

#56 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

Sorry, of course that's what I meant neutral.gif .

Yeah.  The food industry just doesn't do it anymore because that takes time. And time is money.