Photo

MSM!!!?!?!?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 436

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:09 PM

Has anyone ever had a bad experience while taking MSM?
I started taking it 3 weeks ago
and i dont know if its just me but ive been breaking out in mad cyst acne around my jawline and neck
so just need opinions from others on this
its not my diet or anything

#2 Jay326

Jay326

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

I bought some MSM a few weeks ago. I'm not really qualified to say much about it because I only took it for a few days, but I swore it was making my acne worse (and that's why I stopped).
Things are lookin up, oh finally
I thought I'd never see the day
When you smiled at me

#3 Marrakech

Marrakech

The first wealth is health.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (436 @ Mar 8 2010, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone ever had a bad experience while taking MSM?
I started taking it 3 weeks ago
and i dont know if its just me but ive been breaking out in mad cyst acne around my jawline and neck
so just need opinions from others on this
its not my diet or anything

Hey.
I am sensitive to raw onions which have sulfur and MSN never really helped me. If you have burning in your stomach, I'd stop for now.

A sad soul can kill you quicker than a germ.

- John Steinbeck

#4 436

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (Jay326 @ Mar 8 2010, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought some MSM a few weeks ago. I'm not really qualified to say much about it because I only took it for a few days, but I swore it was making my acne worse (and that's why I stopped).

yeah I'm gonna stop taking it, even my nature path person said it was weird that i started breaking out recently
F IT i still need more opinions on this, but for now ill stop everyday i take it i seem to break out and its not the food cause ive been eating the same healthy diet since jan and it was working all good

#5 elfgirl

elfgirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:00 PM

I took it several years ago and it gave me very big and painful zits on my neck. Couldn't figure out what was going on untill I ran out and didn't replace them, I cleared up within a week. Just my experience with it. Elf

#6 xboxfreak

xboxfreak

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:55 AM

I've been taking 15-20 GRAMS per day. I think it is helping. Start slow though. At first 2g was giving me bowel problems.

I use powder and mix it in with tea (it completely dissolves with hot water) and you can barely taste it.

MSM is said to be even safer to consume than table salt.

http://www.acne.org/...SM-t260954.html

#7 Zenergy

Zenergy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:23 PM

I broke out with more cystic acne after taking 1-3 grams for a couple weeks. If I wasn't so prone to scarring I would have rode it out, but I didn't think it was worth the risk. I have heard that a detox phase is common, but I don't know how long it lasts. I do use a msm liposome lotion everyday and haven't noticed anything bad from that -- it actually makes my skin look more radiant, but it does not prevent break outs.

#8 Jay326

Jay326

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:24 PM

There's no doubt about it being safe. I read on some website that it had been tested taking up to 100 grams and no negative side effects. Still, what it does for acne is questionable.

Edited by Jay326, 09 March 2010 - 01:25 PM.

Things are lookin up, oh finally
I thought I'd never see the day
When you smiled at me

#9 436

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:04 PM

dude!
ELFGIRL
You know whats up
i had the same experience
like nasty big zits on my neck & jawline
I stopped yesterday F it last 3 weeks have been hell with that msm and i couldnt figure it out so for now lates MSM no more of that.

#10 MrHelper

MrHelper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:28 PM

I didn't really notice MSM giving me any breakouts, I already had breakouts before trying it.

It just tasted nasty to me.

I did found that I still have some left.
I had 16 oz of this stuff.
And I have used about 2/5th of that.
And I never noticed anything.

I thought that it would help with my dry skin, to give it some elastic stuff. It's suppose to help your tissues and stuff.

I don't know, reading this here, I might not bother with it.

Besides, I eat eggs everyday. Maybe I have no use for this stuff.

#11 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:15 PM

I started taking MSM last summer and had an increase in acne all over my back, mostly non-inflamed and possibly keratosis pilaris, but with some larger somewhat inflamed pimples on the back of my neck. All of that was constant. I also intermittently got cysts on my neck, jawline and back.

I suspected other causes for many months, then finally decided to cut out the MSM and it all cleared up. And I wasn't even taking a large dose or taking it daily.

Links to other MSM thread and a Sulfur thread:
http://www.acne.org/...524.html&hl=MSM
http://www.acne.org/...fur-t76078.html

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#12 hanzuno

hanzuno

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:23 PM

i've been taking msm for almost 3 years and it doesn't affect my acne. I just began taking because I am prone to keloids and i read that msm can help people with keloids.