Photo

Jojoba oil before benzoyl peroxide?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 KNL71

KNL71

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:33 AM

I'm in my third week of doing Dan's regimen, and am almost using the full amount of BP now. Initially my face was really dry all over but during the second week the dryness got better. Since I've increased the amount of BP I'm using, my face is dryer again. The worst area is between my eyebrows and my chin and around my mouth. I'm using cetaphil moisturizer at night with jojoba oil, but it doesn't seem to be cutting it. During the day I use a different moisturizer that isn't as greasy.

I read another post that suggested applying jojoba oil before benzoyl peroxide. So, tonight I applied jojoba all over my face by gently rubbing it in, just as I would the BP, focusing more so on the really dry areas. I waited a few minutes and then applied the BP. It took a lot longer for all of the BP to be absorbed into my skin. It seemed like I was standing in front of my mirror FOREVER! But, now it is about 10 minutes later and my face doesn't feel super dry and tight like it usually does after applying BP. I can tell my face is slightly oily feeling, but that is just beacuse of the jojoba oil. Normally before moisturzing it would have a dry matte finish from the BP. I'm just wondering if the BP will be absorbed into my skin as well and work, since I first put jojoba oil on? Have you guys tried this? Is it as effective? eusa_think.gif Any feedback would be appreciated! I don't want to screw up this regimen!
My Regimen
Morning:
-Clean & Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser (sensitive skin)
-Dan's 2.5% BP
-Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture for Combination Skin (Few drops of Jojoba Oil)
Night:
-Dan's 2.5% BP
-Cetaphil Moisturing Lotion (Several drops of Jojoba Oil)

Dan's AHA several times a week.

100mg Spironolactone, 1 Muliti-vitamin and 2000 mg Fish Oil daily

#2 TMB

TMB

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:15 AM

I would think that the BP might not absorb as well since there's a layer of something else under it. The reason why Dan suggests waiting 10-15 minutes between washing and applying BP is so that your skin is almost dehydrated and will super absorb anything that's put on it, so maybe if the jojoba hydrates it really well after washing it won't need to absorb the BP as much to hydrate itself....if this makes any sense? It might work for you though - everyone is different! I read a thread about doing a jojoba massage/mask before showering in the morning thinking that will really loosen up dead skin and help it to come off in the shower. I've done it a few times and seems to really work for me - search "problems with dryness or flaking" on the boards for the thread.

Also, you're still only early in the regimen, the dryness gets better in time! Good luck!

-- just noticed that the "problems with dryness or flaking" thread is pinned as an important topic on this board--

Edited by TMB, 06 March 2010 - 08:16 AM.

#3 cool as kim deal

cool as kim deal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:47 AM

I did the regimen normally for about a year, no jojoba oil at all. Then I had to deal with a super dry winter, so I started applying jojoba oil after washing before BP. I've been doing it that way for three years now because my face feels less tight, my skin resists flaking longer, and the BP doesn't seem to be any less effective.

Intuitively it makes sense that the jojoba oil would reduce the effectiveness of BP, but in practical terms, I haven't noticed any difference. I didn't need to use extra BP to compensate for the jojoba oil or anything like that.
Keeping me clear, morning and night: Acne.org Cleanser, Acne.org Jojoba Oil after cleansing but before BP all over face, 1 1/2 pumps of Acne.org benzoyl peroxide, Acne.org moisturizer (morning only), Banana Boat Baby Sunblock SPF 50 (morning only), JASON 5000 IU Vitamin E Revitalizing Moisturizing Cream around eyes only, Acne.org AHA+ Acne.org Salicylic Acid+ beta version (night only)<br />
<br />
My advice for Acne.org Regimen beginners - Using jojoba oil as a mask/scrub to remove flakes and moisturize dry skin - Summary of exfoliation methods to try with the regimen<br />
<br />
Not here as often anymore, so for the timeliest advice, post your questions on the forums for the whole community to help out with rather than contacting me directly :)

#4 TTPW4227

TTPW4227

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 13
About Me

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:48 PM

I used that trick too, since Jojoba oil works as a makeup remover its great for getting dead skin cells of the skin.
But after doing that,
cleanse
So try using Jojoba oil to unhook dead skin cells BEFORE you wash. That way they come off.
Worked for me for a while but I had a LOT of flakiness.
So I moisturized with the acne.org moisturizer with six or so drops of Jojoba oil and forgot about it, eventually it just went away.
If you still have trouble I'd recoomend using AHA+ at night two or more times a week to exfoliate smile.gif
well after a couple more weeks
Hope something in this helps smile.gif

Edited by TTPW4227, 06 March 2010 - 02:50 PM.

#5 Imthorpedo

Imthorpedo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:02 PM

is your face dry after you wash, apply the BP, or just all day?

#6 KNL71

KNL71

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:04 PM

The problem area around my mouth and chin are pretty much dry and flakey all the time lately. After I cleanse and my face dries, my skin feels tight and dry, after I put the BP on it's even more tight and dry feeling. Last night I applied the jojoba oil before the BP, but today I might try using the jojoba oil b4 cleansing and see if it helps with the flakiness. Being on the regimen people get rid of acne but welcome dryness and flakiness. GRRRR LOL I am really thinking about trying the AHA, but I just ordered the BP and jojoba oil from the website and didn't want to have to order again until I needed more of it. Don't feel like paying shipping costs twice. Sooo....I saw on the website Dan also recommends Alpha Hydrox AHA Enhanced Lotion, I might try it. I'm a little hesistant though because it's not one of Dan's products. Have you guys tried this AHA lotion?
My Regimen
Morning:
-Dan's 2.5% BP
Night:
-Dan's 2.5% BP

#7 Imthorpedo

Imthorpedo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:09 AM

I havent used dans AHA at all....But i do use Alpha Hydrox.....its great......It will definitely help with flakiness, its not going to moisturize like cetaphil or any other regular moisturizer. But it will help if you use it before cetaphil or whatever moisturizer your using.

#8 akam1k

akam1k

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:17 AM

Good luck with the regimen and be carefull smile.gif

#9 KNL71

KNL71

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (Imthorpedo @ Mar 7 2010, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I havent used dans AHA at all....But i do use Alpha Hydrox.....its great......It will definitely help with flakiness, its not going to moisturize like cetaphil or any other regular moisturizer. But it will help if you use it before cetaphil or whatever moisturizer your using.

Is the Alpha Hydroxy you use the specific one that Dan recommends on here if you aren't using his?
My Regimen
Morning:
-Dan's 2.5% BP
Night:
-Dan's 2.5% BP

#10 Imthorpedo

Imthorpedo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (JillyKins9 @ Mar 7 2010, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is the Alpha Hydroxy you use the specific one that Dan recommends on here if you aren't using his?

Yeah its the Alpha hydrox enhanced lotion, it should be 10% glycolic acid. You can look up the ingredients and compare them to dan's....The first time you use any kind of AHA your skin will see results within a few days to a week. And then once your skin gets use to it (a few months) the effects wear off a little.....the key is to not use it more than 2wice a day......then soon enough you'll be looking into chemical peels....Ive done lots of at home peels to rid red marks....

#11 XuAcne

XuAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:45 AM

have u try "Cerave" moisturizer? Best moisturizer i ever came across using with Dan's regimen products. I find Cetaphil a lil bit too greasy for my preference. I highly suggest that you use BP only on the area where you have acne. There no point in applying BP to non-acne problem area, which will only dry out your skin.
Acne is the never ending war. Countless battles fought everyday against it. All the arsenal unleash to overcome it. FU8k, WHEN WILL I FINALLY WIN?

I FINALLY WON!!! Well on my face that is. 2 months and going all clear. YAY!!!!!!

#12 KNL71

KNL71

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:00 AM

QUOTE (XuAcne @ Mar 8 2010, 02:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
have u try "Cerave" moisturizer? Best moisturizer i ever came across using with Dan's regimen products. I find Cetaphil a lil bit too greasy for my preference. I highly suggest that you use BP only on the area where you have acne. There no point in applying BP to non-acne problem area, which will only dry out your skin.

I agree about applying BP only where I'm acne prone, which is mainly my chin and around my mouth. However, I get random pimples here and there so I decided to do my whole face. I haven't tried Cerave. I use Cetaphil at night and I agree with you, it is greasy. Funny how the bottle specifically says "non greasy". They lied!!! LOL
My Regimen
Morning:
-Dan's 2.5% BP
Night:
-Dan's 2.5% BP

#13 KNL71

KNL71

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (XuAcne @ Mar 8 2010, 02:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree about applying BP only where I'm acne prone, which is mainly my chin and around my mouth. However, I get random pimples here and there so I decided to do my whole face. I haven't tried Cerave. I use Cetaphil at night and I agree with you, it is greasy. Funny how the bottle specifically says "non greasy". They lied!!! LOL
My Regimen
Morning:
-Dan's 2.5% BP
Night:
-Dan's 2.5% BP

#14 dirtbomb

dirtbomb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:15 AM

I do the same thing as "cool as kim deal" except I gently wipe off the flakes that come off when I apply the jojoba oil after cleansing. It's an amazing method. Seriously, everyone with severe dryness/flakiness needs to try it. It removes something like 90% of the tightness I otherwise experience (I'm using Panoxyl 2.5 which is very, very drying). If I use Dan's moisturizer after BP I get zero flakes during the day and my face feels good.

Jojoba oil before BP is AWESOME.

#15 KNL71

KNL71

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:35 AM

QUOTE (dirtbomb @ Mar 11 2010, 05:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do the same thing as "cool as kim deal" except I gently wipe off the flakes that come off when I apply the jojoba oil after cleansing. It's an amazing method. Seriously, everyone with severe dryness/flakiness needs to try it. It removes something like 90% of the tightness I otherwise experience (I'm using Panoxyl 2.5 which is very, very drying). If I use Dan's moisturizer after BP I get zero flakes during the day and my face feels good.

Jojoba oil before BP is AWESOME.

Have you tried AHA yet? I was at Walgreens tonight and saw they have an alpha hydroxy face cream (8% not 10% like Dan's) and it was only 5.99 so I bought it. The reviews are all great, almost exactly the same as Dan's AHA. I've only been on the regimen for a little over 4 weeks, but I decided to try the AHA tonight because I can't stand this dryness and flakiness any longer. OMG, I just used it and my face feels like a bazillion times better. After the BP dried my face felt super dry and tight and well, looked like crap LOL I used the AHA sparingly since it was my first time, and it didn't sting or burn at all. The best part, my face feels way more moisturized and the major dryness isn't nearly as visible as it was before. Hopefully my face likes it and it doesn't cause irritation! I just don't know how often I should use it? Everyone seems to have a different opinion about that.
My Regimen
Morning:
-Dan's 2.5% BP
Night:
-Dan's 2.5% BP

#16 dirtbomb

dirtbomb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:33 AM

I have not, because it's not available where I live. I'm gonna order some from Dan very soon though. I'm glad to hear it worked so well for you. The results you described sound very similar to what I experience when I add jojoba oil to my skin before adding the BP. I experience almost no tightness at all after BP but without jojoba it can be extreme even though I've been on the Regimen for a long time (it's mainly because I'm using Panoxyl -- Dan's BP doesn't make me nearly as dry).

I think adding the jojoba oil before BP works so much better than adding a few drops to the moisturizer afterward, mainly because you don't get the shiny/greasy look at all really. Because of this you can use a lot more jojoba oil than otherwise, which makes your skin feel so good. I also think jojoba oil helps red marks fade faster so I use a pretty good amount of it. I believe AHA can have this effect as well so I'm really looking forward to getting some.

I think you can use AHA as often as you want but a few times a week should probably be enough.

http://www.acne.org/...ydroxy-acid.php

Edited by dirtbomb, 11 March 2010 - 07:36 AM.

#17 Chikorita

Chikorita

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:23 AM

I never found Jojoba oil to be that helpful when used with BP, it never penetrated deep enough and I was always left with dry skin, no matter how much or how often i used jojoba.

Good things I know about it though are that it's a carrier oil and can enhance the effects of BP.

#18 etfoo2009

etfoo2009

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:14 AM

id have to agree with the cerave comment. its amazing. ive been on the regimen for 5 weeks now and for the first 4 weeks i had horribly dry skin. people would make comments about it all the time. I was using some eucerin spf lotion and it left white residue and didnt moisturize. But last week I switched to cerave and no more flakes no more dry skin. Yes it is tight still before putting bp but after it feels really nice. You should definitely give it a shot.