greatwhite

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (TalkingMonkey @ May 16 2010, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Something I just read, which interests me:

Person A:
"I read on zero-carb forums that a zero-carb or very low carb diet will clear all candida symptoms. Of course, symptoms come back when you go back to eating carbs. Has anyone ever tried that diet?

People on those forums claim to be in perfect health, they say humans ate nothing but meat for 5 million years and health deterioration is caused by carbs."

Person B:

"those people are wrong - humans ate fruits etc as well
pretty sure you are talking about the candida diet anyhow"

Person A:
'pretty sure you are talking about the candida diet anyhow'
"No, these people never touch carbs, *ever*. They eat meat and drink water, that's it. Several people got on that diet specifically to cure candida and it worked for them, they have personal journals on the website Zeroingonhealth, go check it out.

Using the search engine on curezone, i also found 2 people curing their candida on a raw paleo /primal diet which is very similar to zero carb, except they drink a small amount of veggie juice, but 90+ % of their calorie intake comes from meat.

I find it amazing that there are hundreds if not thousands people on an anti-candida diet and you rarely hear any of them getting better, much less getting cured. On the other hand, the few people that have the discipline to cut out carbs completely from their diet have all been cured. I have yet to see anyone (who actually tried 0-carb) saying it doesn't work for candida.

'humans ate fruits etc as well'

Imagine you're living on the african savanna, or even Europe for that matter. There are no apples, bananas, almonds, potatoes, tomatoes, squash, etc, (all those have been recently domesticated). There are only basically wild berries, which are ripe for about a week a year. Go live in the wild for a week, anywhere in the world, you'll be lucky if you can get 100 calories a day from fruit/veggies. You'll burn more energy picking fruit/veggies than they contain and you'll be dead within a month.

Without modern refrigeration and shipping and DOMESTICATED fruits, fruit would be scarce everywhere about 10 months out of the year. It is simply not possible to live on a carb diet without all of our modern agrarian techniques and technologies for shipping and distributing food, to pretend a carb diet mimics the diet that humans evolved to eat is delusional.

Now, I don't expect support for this (fairly radical) idea. It could be completely misguided bullshit. Panic has already expressed disapproval of it - which put me off trying it - and advised not to switch things up too much. But I'm just throwing the idea out there.

I havent posted here but I often read this log.

The problem with ZC is it doesnt really take care of the problem, just the symptoms.

There were 2 or 3 people that left that forum due to their candida issues not healing well on ZC.

Once you go ZC, all that gut bacteria that digests carbs dies, so of course when you re-introduce carbs you have a problem again.

Their are plenty of posts on curezone from people that have successfully gotten rid of candida on both the candida diet as well as many other diets like Body Ecology, Specific Carbohydrate, etc, it just takes time and diligence. I am a firm believer that the key to beating candida is building up your immune system and fixing your gut, and the body will keep it in check on it's own. No need for anti fungals other than healthy saturated fats like butter and coconut oil, limit sugar and foods that irritate your gut and you should be fine.

I am on a candida diet right now for my folliculitis/psorasis and taking 6 grams of colostrum a day along with zinc, Primal Defense Probiotics, Biotin, and MSM and I a seeing a steady reduction in all my candida/gut related issues. Although I think the colostrum is causing a bit of an IB, I've been getting some nodules which I havent gotten in forever but it's bearable and worth it.

ZC is unnessasary and quit isolating. To keep candida from coming back you need a strong immune system and good gut bacteria... ZC does not fix these things. There was a woman on there whose hair was falling out and she kept getting staph boils, as well as the others that left because their candida isssues were not resolving.

#162 TalkingMonkey

TalkingMonkey

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:26 PM

Good post, points noted.

I have an intuition - from somewhere - that occasional meals consisting of only oily fish would be quite healthy.

But, in general, zero carb is probably not the way to go.

#163 Panic!!

Panic!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:28 PM

Good posts coming in here!

Fox I actually read about the benefits of allicin as the main medicinal compound in garlic right when I started the candida routine. However I wasn't aware that if you chop it up more finely it releases more allicin, that's interesting and I'll start doing that as well. It is tough with garlic though, because even though I've grown to really love it, it makes your breath and body just reek!! LOL

Monkey: I can see how zero carb would work, but damn that takes this diet to a whole nother level! LOL... I know I was just like you when I was constantly searching for "the answer" for my sudden acne. Easy for me to say now, but I truly think Bee's routine along with all the other members here who have successfully done the candida diet give you more than enough info on how to beat this thing correctly. Although Curezone is a great site,

Great post by Greatwhite, I think he hit the nail on the head with everything he said, good stuff!

I got my weeks messed up recently and I'm about to finish my second month on this diet this coming Friday. I've got two more months to go before I start to re-introduce some foods back into my diet.

Still toying with the idea of getting on a pro-biotic, I know Bee says you don't need it and its all about building up immunity, but at this point without doing much research I feel like it'll give me peace of mind and seal the deal in a way as the last step to getting over this thing.. but who knows, I'll probably change my mind before its all said and done! haha

I was doing pretty intense core workouts for the past 3 weeks and just returned to very light rehab work with weights for my left bicep this past week. Man felt good to hold a weight in my hand again and my appetite is through the roof today! Pretty much eating a double portion of veggies, little extra protein and getting more Coconut Oil in to help feed the beast.

It'll be interesting to see how much weight I gain back and size I re-gain over the next few months. I don't anticipate much until I get my arm back to 100% and can lift moderately heavy again......

Things are starting to come around and it feels good; my mood is much much better, my immunity is solid and I feel very positive and I'm regaining my confidence again.

Off to the kitchen, time to eat up some chicken thighs, artichoke and broccoli....

PANIC

#164 White Fox

White Fox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:00 AM

Interesting replies guys.

Zero carb: If you have the willpower to do it I think you should definitely do it TalkingMonkey. Would be very interesting to follow your progress. However, I have to agree that the most important thing to get rid of candida is to build up your immune system and heal the gut. I'm not sure how much it would help to cut out carbs completely.

Coconut Oil: I have one question for those of you who live in the US. What's the price for good quality Virgin Coconut Oil over there(price and amount, I'm thinking about buying as much as 1/2 or 1 gallon when I'm at it) and which stores(whole foods??) is best to buy from?

L-glutamine: On a side note I have finally added in L-glutamine to my diet to help heal leaky gut. Starting out on 2 500mg capsules a day. Been thinking about adding this for weeks, but now I think it's time since I've already got the diet in check, done antifungals and added probiotics.

Edited by White Fox, 17 May 2010 - 05:55 AM.

#165 Panic!!

Panic!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

Fox: I started off the routine with EVCO from Garden of Life; but soon found Nutiva to be the best buy. I get 54 oz for $23.00, so just a little under half a gallon.

I found a website that sold Coconut Oil in bulk a few weeks ago; I'll try and hunt it down and post the link.

I took Glutamine for years when I was lifting seriously 10-15 g a day. I noticed that it helped me recover quicker and definitely help me feel much better after a night of heavy drinking; it'll be interesting to see how it goes with you.

PANIC

#166 TalkingMonkey

TalkingMonkey

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:00 AM

I went two days without carbs - not exactly by choice, but because I had no vegetables in my house and I thought, screw it, I'll just see how it feels for 2 days.

I was irritable, and my legs felt ...weak/weird. On the second day, my breath was pretty damn rank. So, today I had some spinach and avocado, tasted good.

Acne-wise, I was seeing steady but slow improvement up until 2 days ago - I flared up a bit, and got about 3 large zits (along with the other speckles of tiny zits). But, I'm not disheartened. (Even putting aside acne for a minute, I'm pretty convinced that the anti-candida diet is SUPER healthy, so I'm thankful for being "forced" to find it.
My physique is looking good - this diet sloughts off excess fat. Carbs and sugar in general are deleterious, for want of a better word.)

Does anyone know if chlorine in swimming pools can have any (negative) effect? I plan to start swimming more and ease off the weight for a while.

Incidentally, I heard a guy once say the chlorine temporarily helps clear you up. ....Any thoughts?

#167 White Fox

White Fox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:01 PM

The thing is that humans really need an eyeopener to even think about the way they eat and live. Acne and other physical problems was that eyeopener for me, for others it might be overweight or something else that makes them look into the hazardous lifestyle they've had.
My family doesn't understand that I care so much out my eating habits and it's impossible to explain to them since they have never been there or had any problems that needed this amount of dedication.

Most people don't care if they eat massive amounts of unhealthy and non-organic food as long as they don't get any problems. The thing that sucks is that most people won't make changes before the fire is lit, and then it's a hard recovery.

Panic!: Thanks for the tip on the coconut oil

TalkingMonkey: I don't know that much about the chlorine content in the water, but I don't think it will make acne any worse. It does however dry out the skin somewhat and that's probably the reason somebody says they think their acne appeared better. Swimming is however great exercise and you should just be thankful you have the chance to go without having to worry about body acne/red marks.
If you are interested in reading more about zero carbs diet you should check out this thread: http://forum.lowcarb...ad.php?t=287013
It's started by a guy who's been eating 60% fat and 40% protein for around 50 years now. Prepare a nice steak and excpect a long read(the whole thread is 251 pages).

Edited by White Fox, 18 May 2010 - 01:03 PM.

#168 Panic!!

Panic!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

Fox: Here's the link to that bulk EVCO I was talking about yesterday.... scroll about half way down the page and you'll find the certified organic coconut oil on the left and the non-organic on the right.

http://www.tropicalt...coconut_oil.htm

Also found a KILLER deal on EVCO from NOW Nutrition; 20 oz for $9! That's ridiculous! Might stock up on that once I finish this jar.

http://www.iherb.com...ut oil&p=2&sr=0

Monkey: Wow bro zero carbs sounds insane; although in a sense were all not too far from that at the moment. I haven't calculated my exact numbers as of late, but I'm guessing I'm only eating 40-50g of carbs MAX and even that might be an over-estimate. I'm going to bump it up to about 75g now that I'm working out again.

About swimming, I think its kinda a unique thing to the person as to whether it will break you out or not. I've read a few posts on here with people swearing that chlorine broke them out, but then again people on these boards are overly paranoid that breathing breaks them out. Best bet is to try it out and keep everything else the same so you can easily figure out if its a problem or not. I doubt it will cause any issues.

Have you guys heard of Mark's Daily Apple? Great site www.marksdailyapple.com Since all 3 of us are athletes I think you'll enjoy this..... he believes in a paleo-ish style of eating and there is a lots of good discussion's going on there. People talking about the dangers of grains, soy, processed food etc. People suffering from adrenal fatigue, obesity, acne, mood disorders etc that have all seen great results by changing their diet and lifestyle to the "Primal" style of eating that he advocates. I haven't done much research on his specific diet suggestions, but it looks to be similar to the paleo, stone age type diet. I'm starting to research different routines that I'll be switching to here in the next 7 weeks or so as I modify my diet.... good stuff on there.

Also been reading a $hit load lately: Here's what I'm reading at the moment:

Healthier Without Wheat: all about gluten, Celiac Disease and the dangers of grains in general

The Metabolic Typing Diet: Excellent book, if you two haven't heard about eating for your metabolic type, I highly recommend you get this book. The basic premise is how each one of us are unique individuals, so a diet that might show great results in over-coming disease and improving performance in one, may actually make things worse for another. It has self tests within the book to help you determine your metabolic type. I'll no doubt be eating for my metabolic type after this diet and then incorporate principles from the Paleo and Primal lifestyle as well. It also goes into detail of several case studies of people suffering from everything from allergies to diabetes and how they were able to reverse these diseases simply through modifying their diet..... amazing to me, real food is medicine.

Good Calories Bad Calories: This is also an awesome book, I"m only about 50 pages in and its 400 some pages, so I'll be reading it for a while, but again the author researched for over 7 years while writing this book. Talks about how the government and various agencies have pushed the false idea that high carb, moderate protein and low low fat diets were healthy and the best way to prevent rising cholesterol and heart disease. The author Gary Tubes goes into detail to prove this theory is completely false and even when the government realized this they still pushed this bs diet on the general public to stay profitable. This book will really make you realize that nearly everything you hear about nutrition and diet, from the food pyramid to grains being healthy is utter bs.

How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy: This is a great book as well. The author is Paul Chek and he is one of the most popular holistic medicine gurus and nutritional experts in the world, the man is 40+ and is jacked AND ripped! This book gives you the foundations to good health; everything from why eating organic is so important, why getting to bed around 10-1030 is crucial for cellular repair to what your poop tells you about your digestive health. Highly recommend his book.

I'm guessing it'll take me about a month to roll through all the books except for the Good Calories Bad Calories, that'll take monthsssss! LOL Got another handful of books on my wish list. I got all the books either at my local library for free or on Amazon for dirt cheap.

Last note: Also wanted to add I've been getting more die-off symptoms mainly in my eyes of all places. My eyes have been itchy and red, slightly swollen especially when I wake up in the morning. Also have been having a very mild flu like feeling as well the last few days, I'm excited though because this all means things are headed in the right direction.

PANIC

Edited by Panic!!, 18 May 2010 - 02:32 PM.

#169 acne_combat

acne_combat

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (White Fox @ May 18 2010, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are interested in reading more about zero carbs diet you should check out this thread: http://forum.lowcarb...ad.php?t=287013
It's started by a guy who's been eating 60% fat and 40% protein for around 50 years now. Prepare a nice steak and excpect a long read(the whole thread is 251 pages).

This thread is insane!!!
Have you read the most of it? Were there any conclusions made?
If the guy (or his story) is real, he's insane too biggrin.gif (that much dedication)
I have a hard time believing that a ZERO carb diet does much more benefit than low-carb. Also, I WANT to eat carbs again, so do you guys know of any success story where the candida did NOT come back after the diet?

#170 White Fox

White Fox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:53 AM

QUOTE (acne_combat @ May 18 2010, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This thread is insane!!!
If the guy (or his story) is real, he's insane too biggrin.gif (that much dedication)
I have a hard time believing that a ZERO carb diet does much more benefit than low-carb. Also, I WANT to eat carbs again, so do you guys know of any success story where the candida did NOT come back after the diet?

Yes, I've read most of it, but it's some time ago so I don't remember specifics. It's a long read, but it's worth it.
When you think about the candida coming back after the diet it really depends. Most people can't go back to the standard western diet and expect the candida to stay away. At least I've never read abut someone that managed to do that.

Panic!: I would really like to read those books, but I live in Europe and they aren't that easily available here. I'm going on vacation to USA in a couple of weeks and I will look for the books you mentioned there. Are they available in the common bookstore or do I have to order online?

And thanks for the link to www.marksdailyapple.com, it's a great site. After a little reading on the site and forum I see they pretty much advocate a diet almost identical to the paleo diet. Also I see they, like us, are big promoters of coconut. One of the first thing I will try to make when incorporating more foods in my diet is my own chocolate from raw cacao powder, coconut oil and coconut milk that was posted in the Nutrition and Holistic section.
And pancakes:P : http://www.marksdail...anana-pancakes/

I'm slowly getting back in the gym. However, I haven't started lifting heavy weights again yet. Doing some rowing(5000 m on concept2) and abs exercises at the moment to use the whole body and improve stamina.

Edited by White Fox, 19 May 2010 - 02:40 AM.

#171 TalkingMonkey

TalkingMonkey

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:41 AM

Fox: That's an interesting thread. But for the sake of sanity, eschewing all veggies seems like a bad idea...
I think the lesson to be derived from it is that vegetables (sugar, carbs) should be kept low, perhaps 50-100g/day. Someone in the thread put it like this: We evolved a sweet tooth because, most likely, vegetables and fruits were scarce and valuable throughout our ancestral past.

I was trying to find a photo of that dude in the thread but didn't see one.

Panic: Yeah I'm a big fan of Mark Sisson. I signed up to the newsletter a few months ago, and I've read a lot of his blog, I think he's spot on.

(By the way, I keep getting this fucking error message "Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.
The error returned was:

Sorry, you do not have permission to reply to that topic"

Irritating!)

#172 Panic!!

Panic!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (acne_combat @ May 18 2010, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This thread is insane!!!

Good question Combat!

I think most of the people who go the diet route to get their candida in check inherently come to realize during the course of the diet that they simply CANNOT go back to the lifestyle they had before if they want candida to never come back. What I mean by that is although diet is a HUGE factor (sugar duh! haha), you have to keep stress in check, stay active and get good rest.

I'm sure I've said it before but I was eating a super high carb diet for quiet a while for energy and working out and never had an issue with candida until STRESS from my job crept up and smacked me in the face.

I've learned a lot of proper nutrition since then and even many of the bodybuilding staples of diet I thought were so true, I've realized are false. Best news is my abs are coming in really nice and I've never had abs before.

I plan on following in Brenton's footsteps and sticking to a modified Paleo diet for a while after I finish the candida diet. I'm going to incorporate low gi fruits, possibly some nuts and more protein.

What's got me in a twist right now is when to stop the candida diet. Bee's site says its all about building up immunity and once you do, candida will naturally put back into its non-threatening form, but how the fuvk do you know when that's occured? Just because your symptom free doesn't mean your candida is in check.... confused about that.

Furthermore I've been getting steady die off symptoms lately as I mentioned: itchy itchy oozing eyes (although they're perfect today) and soft stools. Only thing I've changed is I've upped my veggie intake, so that might be the reason my stools are different, but Bee mentions your stool will look different a lot throughout the program since your detoxing.

Man I'm looking forward to eating some ice cream! haha

Fox: Yeah I rented out one of the books (Good Calories Bad Calories) from the library but got everything else on Amazon, had a lot of gift card money laying around. I bought all the books used on Amazon except the book about gluten, they didn't have it used. Also Bee speaks highly of the Tropical Traditions products, so that's some good stuff.

Question: What do you guys use for deodorant? I'm on this binge to be healthy completely from the food I eat to the products I use (obsess much? LOL) and noticed with the garlic and all the detoxing my body is doing I reeek!!!! LOL Only thing I've heard is Baking Soda?? Any ideas?

Monkey: Yeah Sisson is a rad! Great stuff on his site and to me results are always the loudest word! And some of those members have really transformed their physique. I'm going to incorporate stairs and sprints into my workouts as I get more energy, Sisson speaks highly of sprints.

PANIC

#173 White Fox

White Fox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:49 PM

For deodorant you could try plain salt water deodorants!

And here's a pic of the guy(Owsley Stanley) who's been on the 60% fat and 40% protein diet for 50 years: http://tinyurl.com/9kgxj8

Tomorrow night I have a lot of time to use in front of the computer so I will work my way through all the information on marks daily apple.

My diet/training the last two days; a lot of greens these two days:

Yesterday:
When waking: 1 Olive Leaf Extract and 1 pill glutamine
Breakfast: Salmon, onions and cauliflower + Probiotics
Between meals: 1 pill olive leaf extract and several cloves to freshen breath/antifungal
Late lunch: Huge salad(spinach, onion, fresh basil, avocado, tomatoes, ginger, lettuce, tuna and EVOO)+ Probiotics
Late dinner: Huge salad(spinach, onion, fresh basil, avocado, tomatoes, ginger, lettuce, tuna and EVOO)+ Olive Leaf Extract

Today:
Breakfast: I coconut and 1 Olive Leaf Extract and 1 pill glutamine
Workout: 5000 m rowing + ab work
Lunch:: Salmon, onions and broccoli + Probiotics
Lunch 2: Huge salad(spinach, onion, fresh basil, avocado, tomatoes, ginger, lettuce, tuna and EVOO)+ Probiotics
Late dinner: Chicken + huge salad + Olive Leaf Extract
Before bed: 1 Olive Leaf extract pill

You guys should definitely try some fresh basil in your salads and cooking, it's amazing,

Edited by White Fox, 19 May 2010 - 02:06 PM.

#174 TalkingMonkey

TalkingMonkey

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:20 AM

I'd imagine it would be harder, mentally, to consider the anti-candida diet as a restriction of food you'll gladly return to once the candida is sorted. I prefer to think of this as a blueprint for what the body needs - and what it doesn't need.

Even if my acne was 100% gone, permanently, I'd adhere to a primal/paleo diet, not super-rigidly, but as the foundation generally. But no matter how healthy you are, you can't deny that some ice cream would it great, always. If I opened a tub of it now, I'd probably be found surrounded by ice cream tubs, lying comatose on the floor, a lobotomised glaze on my face as ice cream dribbles down my chin.
[tis my greatest weakness]

But generally, using the primal diet as your foundation is super healthy and makes you feel great. You'll age very well on it, staying strong, fit, attractive and healthy into your later years. eusa_dance.gif

I was re-reading some of Brenton's thread and he mentioned he took in 3,000 calories a day. Whoa. How can someone so thin (wasn't he about 130 lbs?) take in that amount of food?

I'm 5'11, 190 (very little fat - I'll post a pic sometime), and trying to take in 2000 a day - it's pretty tough! (which would explain why I keep messing up and having 2,500 and 3,000 the odd day - but it's all anti-candida foods, never an exception).

Btw, gonna buy some basil. I use wild oregano, it's great.

Edited by TalkingMonkey, 20 May 2010 - 06:25 AM.

#175 acne_combat

acne_combat

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:46 AM

my plan after the diet is much like brenton, or maybe the 80/20 rule: eat good 80% of time and bad 20%. That seems the most reasonable for the long term.

For the deodorant: weleda is a good choice. It's all natural and has no aluminium. You can get it easily in Europe, but Iherb has it too.

Edited by acne_combat, 20 May 2010 - 11:49 AM.

#176 White Fox

White Fox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

The last couple of days my digestion has been better than ever. I've had some rough weeks behind me with severe die-off with Olive Leaf Extract and some rumbling when starting Probiotics with FOS.

My biggest concern at the moment is the white coating on the tongue which can be really bad somedays and better other days. When I chew cloves it kills the bacteria/fungi on the tongue and it goes away for like a day. This results me in thinking:

1) The white coating is NOT candida/indication of candida in the system, but bacteria and mucus/food rests.. From what I've read on Oral Thrush online the candida infection in the mouth is often more like white blemishes in the entire mouth, not so much like the white coating on my tongue.
Solution: If I keep feeling good(no new acne, good digestion/stools) I will I will probably stay on the current diet/supplements and the white tongue is probably not due to candida(or see 3). I will have to keep chewing cloves or try chewable probiotics daily to killl the bad bacteria/fungus whatever to keep my mouth looking good and smelling good

2) The candida in my entire digestive system is still present and has managed to develope some kind of resistance to Olive Leaf Extract and the other antifungals I'm taking. This despite the diet, die-off from OLE and probiotics + my digestion being better
Solution: I will have to rotate in new antifungals because if the candida is indeed still present in my system there's no way diet is enough to get it away.

3) I have some kind of infection(candida) only in my mouth/on the tongue
Solution: Chewing cloves once to kill everything and then introduce good bacteria with Udo's Choice Super 5

Edited by White Fox, 20 May 2010 - 12:55 PM.

#177 Panic!!

Panic!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:03 PM

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions on the deodorant. I was about to use the old can of Right Guard I had, but after reading all the funky chemicals on the ingredient list I'll pass! LOL Gotta get some more vitamins anyways from iherb, so I'll add that in, thanks Combat.

Monkey: Yeah I was actually re-reading Brenton's thread too this past week and noticed he said he was taking in 3,000 calories as well. Seems pretty clear that he had a severe digestive issue with getting his nutrients to his cells since he said at one point he was 125 lbs at 6 ft! I think just fixing that issue and being at 2,000 calories he would've gained a good amount of weight.

One thing I know for sure is Coconut Oil is a staple for calories on this program; 130 calories per tbsp X 6 tbsp/day = 650 calories just from that.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with me, I never had any irritable bowel, constipation or any other gastrointestinal issue for that matter at all, so I'm not sure if the same scenario applies to me as it did to Brenton. I guess a lot of that would be predicated on whether I had/have parasites stealing my food from me. Been downing about 2-3 cloves of garlic 4-5x a week for while now, so I'm guessing I've killed off quiet a few if I did have them.

I also completely agree with you on eating Primal/Paleo even once your health problems clear. Old school thinking here but I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use to adhere to the school of thought that carbs are absolutely necessary for energy. Now I still think they are, but if anything, this low low low carb diet has proven to me that you can effectively use fat as a fuel source and have good energy levels. I'd say my energy right now is just as good if not slightly better than when I was downing over 3,000 calories and tons of carbs daily.

About the ice cream...haha Luckily I don't have a major sweet tooth, so if I got a double scoop on a sugar cone I'd be good for a while! haha I'll probably post a picture of it in this thread when I eat it down the line! LOL

PANIC

#178 sweedy

sweedy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:08 AM

Interesting thread. But if you really have Candida, why don't you get on a proper antifungal like fluconazole instead of doing all these quackery methods?

#179 White Fox

White Fox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (sweedy @ May 22 2010, 03:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting thread. But if you really have Candida, why don't you get on a proper antifungal like fluconazole instead of doing all these quackery methods?

I'm on Olive Leaf Extract which is recommended by many holistic practioners dealing with candida. They often recommend either OLE or Nystatin or fluconazole.
I'm doing it the most natural way and therefore doing "natural" antifungals like caprylic acid, garlic, OLE, cinnamon, cloves etc.
What you have to understand is that we try to not only treat the candida itself, but the reason it got out of control. One can't just continue the old way of eating and living and get on Nystatin to wipe out the candida and when the course is gone expect it to stay away. And also, even if you try to stay on the drug forever candida has shown to grow resistant to antifungals after a while, which is why it's recommended to rotate them.
What you have to understand is that most of the people in this thread have no faith in most western doctors and their prescriptions. Although their drugs are funded and researched they are not curing, but hiding the symptoms.

I agree there is little research on candida and leaky gut, but that's because no one can earn anything by doing the necessary research into the diet. However, you can check out a lot of research on natural antifungals and candida online:
Olive Leaf Extract
Garlic
Caprylic Acid
+++

For people like myself the diet is not only about killing the candida, but helping my digestion, leaky gut and other physical issues
The candida diet is all about building up the immune function of the body so it actually can manage to keep candida in check by itself.

Edited by White Fox, 22 May 2010 - 03:31 PM.

#180 sweedy

sweedy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:39 AM

I agree that these "natural" antifungals have some effect. But I don't think they are powerful enough. If they were they would be in use to treat serious and lethal Candida infections that immunocompromised people sometimes suffer from.

I don't know. I'm just so pissed off about all those quackers who are selling their worthless junk. We come to them for real problems and they use our desperation to scam us. I hate it! mad.gif

I suspect though that I suffer from Candida overgrowth. I never had acne in my early teens. I started getting it when I was like 16-17. And at the same time I was on several antibiotics. So therefore I think that it is Candida that's causing my acne. I also have a white coating on my tongue. But I've been on all these "natural" antifungals like OLE, caprylic acid, lauric acid, coconut oil, aloe vera and they have done nothing.

Then I tried a one-month course of nystatin. I got a small initial breakout from it (maybe it was die-off from killing off the fungus?), mainly small pimples on my forehead. Then I think it was getting a little better. I'm not sure. Could be placebo. But it has definitely gotten worse after coming off it. Maybe I should have continued and seen if it had improved. eusa_think.gif But anyway now I'm bringing out the artillery as I'm going to try fluconazole for a month. I wish I had done it right away because that would have saved me a lot of time and money.

I guess that if I don't see any improvement at all with fluconazole I can rule out Candida? Right? Because that would be nice to know if i do or don't have it. So I can continue the search for the cause of my acne problem. sad.gif