This topic is archived.
259 replies to this topic

#241 sweedy

sweedy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:15 AM

Well, fluconazole did nothing for me. No change at all. And the white coating on my tongue is still there so now I know that wasn't Candida. The established medical community insists that systemic Candida overgrowth only occurs in immunocompromised people and I think I have to agree with them. But quackers will make a lot of money selling "anti-candida products" to the general population.

The diet might work though. If one suffers from bacterial overgrowth or a parasite infection it is possible that a low-carb diet may limit the symptoms but I don't think it has anything to do with Candida.

Just my 2 cents.

#242 Panic!!

Panic!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (sweedy @ Jun 22 2010, 03:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, fluconazole did nothing for me. No change at all. And the white coating on my tongue is still there so now I know that wasn't Candida. The established medical community insists that systemic Candida overgrowth only occurs in immunocompromised people and I think I have to agree with them. But quackers will make a lot of money selling "anti-candida products" to the general population.

The diet might work though. If one suffers from bacterial overgrowth or a parasite infection it is possible that a low-carb diet may limit the symptoms but I don't think it has anything to do with Candida.

Just my 2 cents.

So what's your new plan? I would have to think you would alter your diet to some degree if your dealing with parasites or some other type of infection.

I disagree with your thoughts that since anti-biotic didn't work that it must mean you don't have candida. Anti-fungal drugs rarely if ever work, they might temporarily suppress symptoms but the don't get to the root cause.

In either case, some internal cleansing sounds like it would do you good. I'm in the middle of colon cleansing at the moment and will be doing a parasite cleanse next month.

Good luck whatever you decide to do,

PANIC

#243 acne_combat

acne_combat

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:51 AM

Hey guys,
I also got off the wagon the last weeks. I 'cheated' a few times with beer and some very carb-heavy days here and there. I decided to loosen up the diet significantly, I spent lot of time reading various low-carb approaches. LC always seems to work at least a little bit. Anyway, I have to agree with sweedy here: I highly doubt that the 'candida' we're talking about (systemic) is concercing us at all... If you look at ALL working candida diets (in the sense of acne reduction), all they have in common is just the very restrictive LC element. Then, additionally, they use some antifungal plants like garlic, CO, OLE, etc. WITHOUT the diet though, these seem not effective at all for this purpose.....

Ok so there's a lot out there, but all in all it seems a daily carb intake of 50-70g almost always will work (for most diseases, including acne). Some people say more is better (up to 150-200g), other are concinved less or even zero will work best.
For the moment, I decided to change my diet in the direction of the Dr. Kwasniewski diet: The daily proportion for protein, fats and carbs should resp. be 1 : 2.5-3.5 : 0.5-1 g per kg bodyweight. Fats should principallly be saturated and from animal source (lots of butter, eggs, cheese, milk). Of course there's way more to it than just that wink.gif
That means now I CAN finally have some carbs and especially alcohol again, just not too much. That also means I will be able to do the diet for a very long time!

PS: If you can speak/read german, the best acne low-carb thread (almost 700 pages!!!): http://www.aknewelt....ernaehrung.html I learned so much there about nutrition acne and all related diets.

Edited by acne_combat, 26 June 2010 - 06:54 AM.

#244 aiy22

aiy22

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:31 PM

search, "diet, dessert, n dogs" into google.. it has a bunch of anti-candida recipes.. for everyone who doesnt want to sacrifice all the delicious food in the world smile.gif

(look on the left side under most popular.. it has tons of recipes for anti-candida desserts, breakfasts etc.. )

Edited by aiy22, 26 June 2010 - 02:34 PM.

#245 Panic!!

Panic!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (acne_combat @ Jun 26 2010, 04:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys,
I also got off the wagon the last weeks. I 'cheated' a few times with beer and some very carb-heavy days here and there. I decided to loosen up the diet significantly, I spent lot of time reading various low-carb approaches. LC always seems to work at least a little bit. Anyway, I have to agree with sweedy here: I highly doubt that the 'candida' we're talking about (systemic) is concercing us at all... If you look at ALL working candida diets (in the sense of acne reduction), all they have in common is just the very restrictive LC element. Then, additionally, they use some antifungal plants like garlic, CO, OLE, etc. WITHOUT the diet though, these seem not effective at all for this purpose.....

Ok so there's a lot out there, but all in all it seems a daily carb intake of 50-70g almost always will work (for most diseases, including acne). Some people say more is better (up to 150-200g), other are concinved less or even zero will work best.
For the moment, I decided to change my diet in the direction of the Dr. Kwasniewski diet: The daily proportion for protein, fats and carbs should resp. be 1 : 2.5-3.5 : 0.5-1 g per kg bodyweight. Fats should principallly be saturated and from animal source (lots of butter, eggs, cheese, milk). Of course there's way more to it than just that wink.gif
That means now I CAN finally have some carbs and especially alcohol again, just not too much. That also means I will be able to do the diet for a very long time!

PS: If you can speak/read german, the best acne low-carb thread (almost 700 pages!!!): http://www.aknewelt....ernaehrung.html I learned so much there about nutrition acne and all related diets.

If you do indeed have a systemic candida over-growth there is NO WAY you will get better if you eat high carb and drink alcohol. Yes the LC diet puts the candida in check by cutting off its food supply, but that's only one part of the equation. The other part is building the immune system back up to a healthy level so that candida will be put back in check. And the only way to do this without causing inflammation is by following an anti-candida diet.

There are many different schools of thought on this issue, there are many who believe in an 80/10/10 diet; which is 80% carbs from raw fruits and veggies, then 10% protein and fat. Sounds interesting in theory but to me wouldn't be a long term solution since its been proven over and over that yeast feeds on sugar, hence the cravings etc.

But in the end you gotta find what works for you and is possible to stick to long term. This is not a short term battle, its something that in my opinion, and several hundred hours of research has proven to be a long term battle that is all about putting the body back in balance.

Good luck with the new routine.

PANIC

#246 sweedy

sweedy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (Panic!! @ Jun 23 2010, 04:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So what's your new plan? I would have to think you would alter your diet to some degree if your dealing with parasites or some other type of infection.

I disagree with your thoughts that since anti-biotic didn't work that it must mean you don't have candida. Anti-fungal drugs rarely if ever work, they might temporarily suppress symptoms but the don't get to the root cause.

In either case, some internal cleansing sounds like it would do you good. I'm in the middle of colon cleansing at the moment and will be doing a parasite cleanse next month.

Good luck whatever you decide to do,

PANIC

Well, I have also had some problems with my stomach, mostly gas and burping. So I went to the doctor to get tested for Helicobacter Pylori. That is a bacteria that lives in the stomach and it has been associated with various skin diseases like acne and rosacea. I'm now waiting for the test results to come back. But if they are negative I think I will have to try the low-carb diet.

I would also like to do a stool test to check for parasites but I guess doctors are unwilling to to that if you don't suffer from diarrhea or something like that. I know there are private labs you can send samples to but they are expensive. sad.gif

#247 White Fox

White Fox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:55 AM

Hi guys

I'm back, but not for long though. Leaving tomorrow again.

The last couple of weeks I haven't been as strict on the diet. I still eat a lot of coconut, meat, vegetables, avocados, fish and all of that, but I also eat fruit and cheat with icecream and more when I want to. I break out from time to time.

I still believe that the digestion, leaky gut and the bacteria/yeast population in the gut plays a huge role in acne development. However, there's no way I can stay on the anti-candida diet forever, it causes to much stress. However, I think it's important finding the right balance and most importantly not worry to much. If you eat "bad" foods try not to worry about it causing acne, feeding candida etc.

Regarding the stool test I mentioned earlier, I will not be able to do that before september because the holistic practioner had nothing available before then. What you mention about Helicobacter Pylori. is interesting, please let us know the results from the test!!

I encourage others to not go overboard with the whole diet thing. From my own experience spending hours each day reading up on the internet and worrying about specific foods causing acne only causes more stress and severely limit the possibility to be out enjoying life. At the moment I actually try to stay as much away from the internet as possible.
I know how hard acne can be, but stressing even more about it never helps.

Edited by White Fox, 02 July 2010 - 04:57 AM.

#248 tdot

tdot

Meow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me
  • Interests:Health, art, fashion, photography, music, my dog Penny.

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (White Fox @ Jul 2 2010, 05:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys

I'm back, but not for long though. Leaving tomorrow again.

The last couple of weeks I haven't been as strict on the diet. I still eat a lot of coconut, meat, vegetables, avocados, fish and all of that, but I also eat fruit and cheat with icecream and more when I want to. I break out from time to time.

I still believe that the digestion, leaky gut and the bacteria/yeast population in the gut plays a huge role in acne development. However, there's no way I can stay on the anti-candida diet forever, it causes to much stress. However, I think it's important finding the right balance and most importantly not worry to much. If you eat "bad" foods try not to worry about it causing acne, feeding candida etc.

Regarding the stool test I mentioned earlier, I will not be able to do that before september because the holistic practioner had nothing available before then. What you mention about Helicobacter Pylori. is interesting, please let us know the results from the test!!

I encourage others to not go overboard with the whole diet thing. From my own experience spending hours each day reading up on the internet and worrying about specific foods causing acne only causes more stress and severely limit the possibility to be out enjoying life. At the moment I actually try to stay as much away from the internet as possible.
I know how hard acne can be, but stressing even more about it never helps.

I completely agree with this.... about two minutes ago I was reading someone's log about the candida diet and burst out crying... I am feeling SOOO over whelmed and sooo stressed abotu this damn diet. I wish there was an easier way. It would be impossible for me to stay on the anticandida diet forever.... I go away a in the summer with my boyfriends parents and I cant just cook my own meals the whole time... like I cant be that high maintenance, seriously they will think I'm nuts.

Anyway, good luck with everything smile.gif.

Edited by tdot, 04 July 2010 - 10:52 PM.

#249 White Fox

White Fox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

When being on vacation different places for the last month I have noticed the following. I can eat foods I'm normally intolerant to without problems with the foods causing acne and loose stols/bad digestion. I have eaten literary anything besides the normal anti-candida foods like wheat, ice cream, hamburgers and more without problems. It's probably related to not stressing about acne and most of all being out walking/staying out for the entire days.

This caused me to think about databesed's topic that I read with great interest some time ago: http://www.acne.org/...ul-t243340.html
At the time I read it it sounded far-fetched that just staying out in the outdoords everyday eating whatever you want could clear up the acne, but I'm starting to believe his theories. However I will have to look for altenative ways to get the same effect as daylight because there's no way I can stay out in the sun every day. However, I will try to follow the guidelines as much as possible which will mean you probably won't see me as much online.

However, I will definitely drop in every now and then to make updates if anyone is interested in reading. And TalkingMonkey, Databased theories can also explain why you managed to stay relatively clear during your trip when you ate everything.

#250 TalkingMonkey

TalkingMonkey

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:23 AM

I'm gonna get back on a healthy diet soon. The past month I've been off the wagon - drinking alcohol most nights, eating anything and everything I wanted. I've had a blast though. And my skin during this time was looking a little better than normal. I think it was because I was so stress-free, I was continually walking, I was having fun, I was in the outdoors all the time, I was getting laid 3 times a day - all of this has an effect. I've said it before, and White Fox alluded to it above: don't stress too much about this shit. Go out and enjoy life. Chronic stress can destroy you.

#251 White Fox

White Fox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (TalkingMonkey @ Jul 19 2010, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm gonna get back on a healthy diet soon. The past month I've been off the wagon - drinking alcohol most nights, eating anything and everything I wanted. I've had a blast though. And my skin during this time was looking a little better than normal. I think it was because I was so stress-free, I was continually walking, I was having fun, I was in the outdoors all the time, I was getting laid 3 times a day - all of this has an effect. I've said it before, and White Fox alluded to it above: don't stress too much about this shit. Go out and enjoy life. Chronic stress can destroy you.

Best thing i've read on these boards so far and it pretty much sums up the result of this thread!

#252 Fab

Fab

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:34 AM

Hi White Fox.

Does your tongue looks like this?
http://www.clivir.co...ast/thrush2.jpg

My tongue is always cracked and has white patches like this.

I've been on an anti-candida diet for 6 months and my acne improved.
However I have less energy and my oral thrush is not getting better.

Edited by Fab, 27 July 2010 - 09:36 AM.

#253 White Fox

White Fox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (Fab @ Jul 27 2010, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi White Fox.

Does your tongue looks like this?
http://www.clivir.co...ast/thrush2.jpg

My tongue is always cracked and has white patches like this.

I've been on an anti-candida diet for 6 months and my acne improved.
However I have less energy and my oral thrush is not getting better.

No, for me it's more like a thin to thick layer of white "film". If you see earlier in this thread the white coating has been discussed and most of us agree that there might be no connection to candida.

#254 Paul25

Paul25

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:10 PM

Hey there, just had a read through the thread and just wondering if any of you have tried a coconut oil detox? It sounds like its really useful against candida but i posted about it in the nutrition area and nobody responded to it. You should be taking a spoonful of coconut oil every 2 hours, i really want to try it but its just finding a good time to begin really.

#255 wicky

wicky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

i need some serious help regarding candida and a starting point...long term use of doxycycline is what gave it to me...My symptoms are excema like rash along sides of face and clogged pores/white heads in chin area and occasional cystic bumps on jawline...Ive had major digestive issues for some time now and now understand the full scope of what was going on with me...CANDIDA...About three months ago i started elminating sugar/processed foods/dairy/gluten/bread pasta..Pretty much the whole gammit of foods that wreak havoc on our skin and stomachs. I have been taking acidolpholus for several months and that is the only probiotic...Over the last several days I can tell my candida is back as i have that rash like inflamed chin..My question is what is my starting point..? Theres is loads of great info that white fox provided Im just overwhelmed right now and need some guidance. Im sitting here crying over the condition of my skin and my children dont know how to help mommy. I have been eating lots of fruits and veggies and protein. Is it correct to assume fruits are no good?

Im desperate for someone to help...

#256 White Fox

White Fox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (wicky @ Jan 25 2011, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i need some serious help regarding candida and a starting point...long term use of doxycycline is what gave it to me...My symptoms are excema like rash along sides of face and clogged pores/white heads in chin area and occasional cystic bumps on jawline...Ive had major digestive issues for some time now and now understand the full scope of what was going on with me...CANDIDA...About three months ago i started elminating sugar/processed foods/dairy/gluten/bread pasta..Pretty much the whole gammit of foods that wreak havoc on our skin and stomachs. I have been taking acidolpholus for several months and that is the only probiotic...Over the last several days I can tell my candida is back as i have that rash like inflamed chin..My question is what is my starting point..? Theres is loads of great info that white fox provided Im just overwhelmed right now and need some guidance. Im sitting here crying over the condition of my skin and my children dont know how to help mommy. I have been eating lots of fruits and veggies and protein. Is it correct to assume fruits are no good?

Im desperate for someone to help...

I'm back!!

If I were you I would go on an extreme anti candida diet for two weeks to see if you get the famous die-off etc

Cut all carbs except some green vegetables and get on a antifungal like oregano oil, olive leaf extract or something like that.

Good luck!

#257 wicky

wicky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:41 PM

I have been doing the anti candida diet for 12 days now and ive been pretty strict..I have eaten brown rice severall times but thought that was ok..I did have two days where the die off produced severe flue symptoms..I take tumeric and aloe vera juice every day..I was taking nystatin but every time i took my dose i would get welts on my face within hrs of taking it..I'd rather do it more slowly with anti antifungals..The nystatin might have been too much for my skin to handle and the toxins started to come out...This has been on going since early january..Some days i get them and some i dont...I dont know if its food related or die off symptoms..I keep a food log and skin log so I can refer back to see whats doing it...Im already eating so limited i cant imagine cutting out anymore..My face has been a disaster for so long (really bad for 2 months) that i dont want to increase anything for fear of more welts..Im already on the brink...I've read positive reviews on Candizyme digestive enzymes that help candida..i was also thinkiing added some activated charcoal to absorb some of the toxins...what do you thiink?

#258 sijomicro

sijomicro

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:20 AM

Can anybody help me a good antibiotic for my cystic acne breakouts ? I am getting married after two months. My acne not respond to my 10 year old doxycycline treatment.

Any body please help ..I am very much confused and dissappointed.......................

#259 ethio84

ethio84

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:15 AM

White Fox,

Have you ever looked into whats in your tap water. A lot of places have recently switched water supply disinfectants from chlorine to chloramine. For me, this caused terrible Fungal Foliculitus (which looks like acne) on my face and back, as well very dry skin in general. Chloramine is a combination of chlorine and ammonia that makes the chlorine more stable in solution. For me, the extremely dry skin increased my sebum production, thus creating the conditions for the normal fungus on our skin to go crazy. Good news is that if you avoid chloramine the symptoms improve immediately, the bad news is that its almost impossible to filter out. For me the only answer was to move to a place that did NOT use chloramine, I know it sucks, but it was worth it in the end.

Hope this helps :)

#260 White Fox

White Fox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:57 AM

Hi guys!

I don't know how many of you guys in this thread are still active on the forum, but I just wanted to wrap everything up. In the end it was poor gut flora(candida++) and damaged gut that caused my acne.

See my thread for more information