Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paleo diet

250 posts in this topic

The thing about fructose is that it gets metabolized by the liver and thus it does not raise insulin levels. Although this may seem as a good thing, it actually is not. High fructose consumption has been linked to insulin resistance as well as leptin resistance, which precedes insulin resistance and other syndrome X diseases. These are some good reads (not entirely related to paleo but fructose specifically):

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008...-and-sugar.html

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008...c-syndrome.html

This doesn't mean you should fear fructose, the problem happens only with excess consumption, which is really unlikely in a paleo diet.

yea venam, the more i researched it specifically, the more i think you're right. it's important not to over do it when it comes to fruits. like you said, don't fear them by any means but just make sure your entire diet is balanced.

going back to the omega ratio though. what happens if your omega ratio is too much in favor of omega's 3 instead of omega 6. like two omega 3 for every 1 omega 6.

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

2:1 (3:6) is ok. Kitavans, a population studied by various "paleo researchers", have an omega ratio of 4:1 (3:6). They have no acne (is obviously not only because of the omega ratio).

Let me ask you, how do you have such a favorable omega ratio? Is the O3 coming from ALA (plant source O3)? Read my earlier post about ALA conversion to DHA and EPA. Is easy to find online too, here:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-...upplements.html

There's more infor in other sites. If he ratio is not because of ALA, plz share the tips.

Do you think eating grain fed animals upsets our Omega ratio?

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *

Do you think eating grain fed animals upsets our Omega ratio?

Of course.

When you eat beef, eat grass fed beef if possible. It's more expensive and harder to find unfortunately.

It is tough. The only good meat near me is organic free range chicken, so I mostly stick to that and fish. I was reading that even farmed Salmon are being fed grains now, can you believe that? It makes me sick.

It's funny, I'm in the USA, and the only grass fed beef I can find in the supermarket I most often frequent is from Austrailia.

Yeah, you have to be careful about fish. By wild caught when possible. Again, it's harder to find and more expensive.

Canned sardines are great to have around. They are cheap, you can just stack them in your pantry and since they are smaller fish they don't absorb as many of the heavy metals and junk that larger fish do. But they taste aweful, lol. Actually with some raw onion they aren't too bad.

The marksdailyapple site that one of the previous posters mentioned has a lot of good info if you search around it.

Really? Is there a brand name on them? All the beef in my supermarket isn't even labelled, i've naturally assumed it's all hormone filled grain fed garbage. I know a good butcher who actually say where their meat comes from but it's a good 40-60 minutes away.

Sardines sound great, gonna get some next time to try.

Don't buy farmed fish. It's really unnecessary. It shouldn't be hard for you at all to find wild fish that's not very expensive. I get 400 grams of wild fish for about $2.5. Not the best fish but it's OK. One package is enough for two dinners. So it's like a dollar a day for that protein. Definitely worth it. Farmed fish is pure crap.

Oh and venam -- I know I eat a somewhat large amount of fruit. I do not eat that banana meal every day though, but at least a few times a week anyway. I'm not scared of fruit but I know you have a point. However, I do know there are acne-free foragers out there who eat large amounts of fruit during fruit season (basically nothing but fruit), like rainforest dwellers (who also, by the way, eat lots and lots of honey when they find it), but like I said earlier it's probably a good idea to be careful when new to the diet.

I just realized almonds are 24g protein too by the way... so awesome. Shouldn't it be OK to have nuts a few times a week if you eat a lot of omega 3 eggs and fish/shrimps/etc? venam, what do you think?

Nuts are fine in the paleo diet, just watch you omega ratio. I am avoiding them personally because I haven't been able to balance my ratio while eating them. I wouldn't try to limit your food variety though. Eat them in moderation and you should be fine. I think everyone has to experiment and ind their own paleo "sweet spot." I haven't found mine as I still have acne, I don't want to give misleading advice.

BTW, I mostly eat grain-fed meat. I cannot afford grass-fed all the time as I am a college student. I buy New Zealand grass-fed lamb which I can find for $4.80/lb in Sam's club. I also eat canned wild Alaskan salmon. The rest is all grain fed meats, which I eat quite often. Once I graduate (still missing a while year+) and get a job I would be able to afford it, but now I am leaving off scholarships so...

And the omega ratio is not what you have to worry about in grain-fed beef. 1 lb of ground meat, 30% fat, will have less than 1.5 grams of O6 (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/beef-products/8001/2) which you can easily buffer with O3 supplements. 1 tablespoon of olive oil has 2.6 grams of O6. See the difference? There are much worse things to worry about in grain fed meat btw, I just cannot afford it now so I don't worry about it.

Cool, thanks. I find nuts to be a great source of "snack protein", despite the "bad" fat, and I really enjoy having some every now and then. It's like my paleo candy.

venam, how much would you say your acne has improved since you began eating this way, percent wise? Hearing about other people's success is just really inspiring and something you need when you're new on a "tough" diet. Those potato chips are still calling for me... and beer! Damn, beer! I'm actually thinking about drinking a type of expensive beer made from a plant called sorghum, if there's a drinking opportunity I just can't miss coming up during the coming months. It's naturally free from gluten and just seems better than other grains. Otherwise I'll have white wine probably, which is grain-free, free from added sugar, etc. I drink very rarely these days though.

How do you guys feel about alcohol consumption on the paleo diet? I know folks like Cordain say it's ok to have a drink every now and then but I think that's mainly because he knows people in our culture can't give it up. It's still probably not worse than having a piece of bread or a bowl of pasta though. For your skin, that is.

Cool, thanks. I find nuts to be a great source of "snack protein", despite the "bad" fat, and I really enjoy having some every now and then. It's like my paleo candy.

venam, how much would you say your acne has improved since you began eating this way, percent wise? Hearing about other people's success is just really inspiring and something you need when you're new on a "tough" diet. Those potato chips are still calling for me... and beer! Damn, beer! I'm actually thinking about drinking a type of expensive beer made from a plant called sorghum, if there's a drinking opportunity I just can't miss coming up during the coming months. It's naturally free from gluten and just seems better than other grains. Otherwise I'll have white wine probably, which is grain-free, free from added sugar, etc. I drink very rarely these days though.

How do you guys feel about alcohol consumption on the paleo diet? I know folks like Cordain say it's ok to have a drink every now and then but I think that's mainly because he knows people in our culture can't give it up. It's still probably not worse than having a piece of bread or a bowl of pasta though. For your skin, that is.

As for my acne. Before paleo I was using BP and I still had over 20 cysts on my face at a time. Add to that about 8 per shoulder. I did not get white heads, just cysts. About 3 months into paleo my shoulders were completely clear and I had around 5 cysts at a time on my face. This was when I tried some experiments that didn't work out. About 1.5 months ago I stopped using BP. Now I don't get more than 2-3 cysts at a time and some white heads.

As you can tell, my acne was really bad, I think most people will heal faster. For me the first 2 months I could barely notice any difference.

As for cheating, if you have to cheat to keep you on the diet, go ahead just don't make it a constant thing. Don't let perfection get in the way of good.

quick question. what are everyone's thoughts on tomato sauce. i know making home-made tomato sauce is probably best, but honestly, i'm italian and even i don't have the time for that! lol is out of the can okay?

as far as alcohol goes, like you said, cordain says it's okay in moderation after the first thirty days but make sure it's not beer or anything like that and also isn't mixed with any sweet drinks like juices or colas. personally, i don't mind the alcohol limitations that much because it's a great way to start saving money. as a young adult, it's a large part of our budget. am i right people!? i know dirtbomb you think he says it's okay because he doesn't think people will stop drinking but in his book he says "moderate alcohol consumption is known to improve insulin metabolism and in the long run may help to improve acne symptoms." so maybe it's not all bad. either way, i'd avoid it until after the first month.

and about the nuts. i've read that brazil nuts are great for acne because they contain something that i guess acne sufferes lack. so i went out and bought some. but according to cordain, there omega ratio's are AWFUL! if i'm reading it correctly, they're 377.9:1!! after i read that i haven't touched them. thoughts or feelings??

Sounds like the paleo diet is right for you venam!! And everyone else... Congrats to your amazing results.

marti, check the ingredients list. What's in that can? If it only has tomatoes and water it should be OK, however, I'm pretty sure it has some pretty sick amounts of salt in it. I don't think salt is the most important thing to avoid on the paleo diet for acne-sufferers, but still...

Making your own tomato sauce should be super easy though, honestly. And cheap! I'm not big on it though because it's boring without pasta, haha.

Thanks for that info. Really cool to hear about alcohol improving insulin metabolism. How much drinking is "moderate" to him and what beverages does he suggest? Wine? I only like beer and wine so I avoid sugary drinks anyway. I'd love to drink some beer every now and then though. Wine is still OK if it's a lot better for you, just not red wine!! So disgusting.

Haha, I hear ya. Alcohol isn't really a large part of my budget anymore, but it certainly used to be. Around 17-18 was the worst period for me, basically all of my money went to booze. I did have a lot of fun though... :D

Dunno about the brazil nuts dude. Maybe they should be avoided, still I don't think it's the end of the world if you have some. I don't know how interested people actually are in looking at living hunter-gatherers who don't suffer from acne, but like I mentioned in an earlier post the !Kung San have the mongongo nut as their STAPLE FOOD (I'm not 100% whether they eat it year-round or if it's a seasonal thing but they are known for their immense nut consumption, rich in omega 6). They get the majority (or used to anyway) of their daily calories from it (at least part of the year -- I'll look further into it at the library). I'm not saying we shouldn't listen to the researchers, but I find most of my inspiration in actual acne-free populations that I enjoy reading about. Many foragers often eat lots of nuts and honey, for example. Oh, and the !Kung don't eat any fish as far as I know. No fatty salmon full of omega 3 for them. Actually I'm pretty sure they don't even know what a omega 3/6 ratio is, yet they don't suffer from the diseases of civilization. :D How strange...

The brazil nuts are awesome, by the way. They contain some stuff that's great for your overall health, they have a nice amount of protein in them and taste really good if you get the right ones ("fresh" ones -- they should be as white as possible on the inside).

yea seriously, if the paleo diet can improve if not eliminate severe acne, than i really think we're all in for a great experience. i have mild-moderate acne. i tend to breakout in cycles all around my chin and jawline and it has been very stubborn ever since i was in highschool (i'm out of college now).

i checked the ingredients and everything seems okay except for the sodium, like you said. there is alot in it. luckily i still live at home and i'm sure my mom would LOVE the fact that i want to eat home-made sauce (no sarcasm). so maybe she can make some for me. i was thinking of putting it on my grilled chicken maybe. as i said, i'm italian and the hardest part about this diet is giving up pasta. so a little sauce here and there might just satisfy me enough lol

i'm not sure how much is "moderate" drinking to him. i would assume no more than a few drinks a week, if that even. as far as what beverages he suggests, i would assume most liquirs and most wines (just make sure they aren't too sweet). again, only in moderation. just make sure you avoid beer and drink mixes.

i'm probably just gonna stay away from the brazil nuts for now. in his book he says to follow his 30-day plan as strictly as possible and then after 30 days or until you're clear, you can try to add in some foods VERY slowly. like one food a month. he also says that it's okay to give yourself about 8 "open" meals a month where you can eat the foods you've been missing/craving. be careful not to over do it and make sure they're spread out. but most importantly, wait until you're clear! personally, i'm gonna wait until i get clear for AT LEAST a couple of months. i've never been clear for more than a couple weeks so if i can get clear for a couple months i may just think about eating some speghetti or pizza.

what are everyone's thoughts on working out. from what i know, it's best to avoid "heavy" workouts in favor of "light" or "mild" but what exactly constitutes a "mild" workout. personally, i've been lazy the last year or so and haven't workedout (i tend to work out for like a year or so then stop then start again). since this paleo diet is going to slim me down some, i was planning on starting to work out again. i plan on working out with less weight and more reps instead of more weight and less reps so i can get nice and toned for the summer. the nice thing about this paleo diet is that my body fat is gonna melt away! (i'm not a big guy either, 5'7 145) i'm assuming that "heavy" workouts are more weight, less reps and "mild" workouts are less weight and more reps. does that sound right?

I would change your workout a bit. Make your strength work shorter and more painful. More weight and less rep, but spend less time lifting. Make you long workouts longer and less painful. Don't jog, walk for longer amount of time. Do sprints and tabata sets. I recommend you do some reading:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/gain-weight-build-muscle/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-hate-running/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/chronic-cardio/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/chronic-cardio-2/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blue...ness-standards/ -> read the other parts within that post

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/case-against-cardio/

I know is a lot of reading, I really like Mark's take on evolutionary fitness.

yea seriously, if the paleo diet can improve if not eliminate severe acne, than i really think we're all in for a great experience.

I totally agree. I honestly don't understand why not more people are interested in it. It's so obvious that it can and often does work. I think the paleo diet is just so much more convincing than all other diets simply because we have living breathing acne-free populations all over the world to point to, like I've already done several times in this thread, haha. People who rant about other diets simply cannot point to "evidence" the way we can. They have books and salesmen on TV for inspiration to keep them going, we have real people (and books!). And by the way, I think Dan scared away lots of people from the paleo diet (if you have no idea what I'm talking about, he basically tried to paleo diet for a couple of months and didn't clear up). In my opinion he should have stayed on it longer. I think I'll try it for at least 6 months. (With some cheating most likely -- the "8 open meals" sounds awesome, by the way. Ha. I think it's a great idea because most people probably only crave a few certain foods, and they don't really need them that often to stay satisfied. Like myself for example -- if I could just have a bag of potato chips a couple of times a month and a large plate of fries it would most likely be A LOT easier for me to stay on the paleo diet and be happy about it.)

I never drink more than a couple of times a month these days, so sticking to his recommendations there shouldn't be a problem for me.

When it comes to working out I find my inspiration in indigenous peoples there too. So I don't do any lifting at the gym or anything like that. I try and get the exercise I need in my daily life (which is hard) by walking a lot, running, swimming when it's warm, climbing, jumping over fences and shit like that, anything that resembles typical daily activities outside civilization really. It's fun. I do sit-ups and things like that a few times a week too though. I have no intention of getting "big", I just wanna feel healthy. And yes, you'll lose body fat. I lost about 5 kilos (11 lb) when I went on the paleo diet (and I was already really thin), then I stayed at that weight. I'm pretty fucking skinny right now but my muscles are more visible and I think if I started working out hard I'd get some pretty cool ones to show off. There's like zero fat on my body right now. Not sure that's a good thing though but I feel like I'm in my "natural" state eating this diet. Lots of human beings are thin by nature and you're not sick or starving because you look this way. 80% of my male friends have tits now and a stomach that's too big and it's just not the way it's supposed to be. Fuck dem carbs.

And by the way, I think Dan scared away lots of people from the paleo diet (if you have no idea what I'm talking about, he basically tried to paleo diet for a couple of months and didn't clear up). In my opinion he should have stayed on it longer. I think I'll try it for at least 6 months.

His version was really high on protein.

I'm also on paleoish diet and too much protein alone was enough to keep me breaking out...

Protein makes you break out? Never heard that one before. A paleo diet is basically a high-protein, low-carb diet. Maybe it was something specific, like some nut or something, that caused your breakouts rather than protein-rich foods in general?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_diet

I gotta get Cordain's book, by the way. I think I'm gonna buy The Primal Blueprint eventually as well. Seems like both offer good reads.

I have a question:

Normally I have two eggs and a large green smoothie for breakfast. Most sources say to limit eggs to about 4-6 a week, so only two or three days. I need more calories than just a smoothie in the morning, and I can't really afford to buy a lot of meat. What do you suggest I should eat for breakfast (along with my smoothie)?

I'm CelloIsLove.

Here's the problem I see:

People want to heal their acne through diet and lifestyle. Great. But then they get obsessed only with their skin and not how they FEEL. Physically. Emotionally. What is the quality of your life? It's not directly connected to your flesh, I can tell you that. Then obsess over their food. They hear "diet" and think low-fat, juicing, fasting, cleansing, starving. You're young. Do you really think you have liver failure? Do you really think you need more fiber?

Paleo changed my life. It's the only lifestyle that ever helped me-not just with my skin, but with my life. My happiness. My fitness. It says, "Eat good quality meats. Eat lots of veggies. Eat fruit too. Some nuts. Then go outside. Walk around. See the world. Play with friends. Lift heavy things. Get some sun. Then go sleep, wake up and do it again." What that means to me is to live an enjoyable, happy, dynamic life where I can be the best me for the people I love, not anxious, not angry, not depressed.

Be gentle to your skin, your heart, your tummy, and your life.

Get out there and live.

And also eat bacon.

thanks for the work out information everyone.

as far as Dan goes, i listened to his interview with Cordain on this website (if you haven't i suggest you do, it's under Acne Info, More Info, Even More Info, then Dr. Interviews). I haven't heard anything about his diet being too high on protein by the way, but i must say, as much as i trust Dan and everything he's done, it sounded a little fishy to me. Basically he went on the diet and saw tremendous results like most people. He was posting his progess online but said some people were saying that the only reason why he saw results was because he was losing weight. Then he said that around the 3 month mark, right around the time he stopped losing weight from the diet, he broke out a little, and since it was right around the holidays he also started breaking from the diet and then broke out severly so went back on the Regimen..or something like that. obviously we know that for most people, it's not about losing weight since alot have been on it for more than 3 months with consistent results. Like I said, as much as I trust Dan and ADMIRE him for what he's done, he needs to sell his products in order for this site to run (without advertisements) so I wouldnt be surprised if he told a little white lie. I also believe that interview probably turned off alot of people from the diet.

dirtbomb- if you get cordain's book you might wanna consider getting the E-Book version for "the dietary cure for acne." Its 10 dollars cheaper AND i found you can search for things so much faster just by typing in a word and having it search for it. Also, consider buying the Dietary Cure for Acne Eating Guide. GREAT book. has EVERYTHING you need and more for meals, meal logs, grocery lists, etc. Those two together are like my bible.

celloislove- if you're eating eggs (which is fine) make sure they are Omega 3 enriched eggs. as far as eating other things, in the Cordains eating guide he lists alot of breakfast meals that have some sort of seafood in them (salmon, shrimp, crab) with some fruit also. I havent tried any so i don't know how it will taste but you should consider something like that to fill you up.