Photo

Completely cured female adult acne through diet

vitamin vitamins vitamin a fish oil saw palmetto gluten vegetarian paleo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 cotten

cotten

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:35 AM

Hi All,

I just wanted to come back and let you guys know what FINALLY worked for me.

Brief background:

Came off the pill at 22 - had severe jawline and cheek and chin acne within 6 months. Tried various vitamins, saw palmetto, fish oil etc.

Ate a vegetarian diet (very healthy or so I thought) low on sugar etc for a while then a gluten free diet.

Went on Spiro which helped but gave me too many side effects.

Was about to go on accutane when I thought I would give the Paleo diet a try (even though it seemed very drastic) I did the 30 day trial full on and within THREE days, my skin was smooth and soft. Over the next three months I really loosened the diet up, eat cheese everyday, dark chocolate and beans sometimes, but otherwise I stick to the diet at least 85% of the time.

And my skin is perfect. My cycle has also gone from 35-40 days to 29 and I no longer have cramps. My hair is actually growning in curly and thick which is such a change from my straight fine hair.

I try to exercise regularily as well, but I would say diet is everything when it comes to acne. I would urge everyone with acne, but specifically WOMEN who have hormonal acne to try this diet. I thought it would be very hard to follow but it isn't. I eat out with my friends, and 'cheat' whenever I do - I had tacos last night, but mostly I eat Veggies, Fruits and meat.

My typical day is:

Eggs and fruit
Big Salad with nuts, salmon, chicken or fruit and goat cheese
Stirfry without noodles or rice/oven roasted meat and veggies

It is actually easy to stick to, and I feel like the longer you are on it the more you can cheat. I had sushi, pad thai and tacos this week :)

I've also lost 10 pounds and look fabulous. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend at least trying this diet. Trust me I've literally tried everything including a liver flush (ewwww) medication, EVERY vitamin and herb, fish oil, bcp, spiro, and all those things mask what your body is trying to tell you and that is that you weren't really meant to eat grains/ not so many carbs.

Please, please try it! You will notice results very quickly! And honestly, if you were at the point I was you will try ANYTHING and stick to ANYTHING to be done with acne for ever. I couldn't be happier.

I will try to post pix when I get a new camera, but just to give you an idea I would get at least 2 bad cysts per month and several smaller zits, now I get maybe 2 small small zits per month and my hormones are balanced!

Good Luck Everyone!

#2 Sweetsleep

Sweetsleep

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (cotten @ Feb 11 2010, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi All,

I just wanted to come back and let you guys know what FINALLY worked for me.

Brief background:

Came off the pill at 22 - had severe jawline and cheek and chin acne within 6 months. Tried various vitamins, saw palmetto, fish oil etc.

Ate a vegetarian diet (very healthy or so I thought) low on sugar etc for a while then a gluten free diet.

Went on Spiro which helped but gave me too many side effects.

Was about to go on accutane when I thought I would give the Paleo diet a try (even though it seemed very drastic) I did the 30 day trial full on and within THREE days, my skin was smooth and soft. Over the next three months I really loosened the diet up, eat cheese everyday, dark chocolate and beans sometimes, but otherwise I stick to the diet at least 85% of the time.

And my skin is perfect. My cycle has also gone from 35-40 days to 29 and I no longer have cramps. My hair is actually growning in curly and thick which is such a change from my straight fine hair.

I try to exercise regularily as well, but I would say diet is everything when it comes to acne. I would urge everyone with acne, but specifically WOMEN who have hormonal acne to try this diet. I thought it would be very hard to follow but it isn't. I eat out with my friends, and 'cheat' whenever I do - I had tacos last night, but mostly I eat Veggies, Fruits and meat.

My typical day is:

Eggs and fruit
Big Salad with nuts, salmon, chicken or fruit and goat cheese
Stirfry without noodles or rice/oven roasted meat and veggies

It is actually easy to stick to, and I feel like the longer you are on it the more you can cheat. I had sushi, pad thai and tacos this week smile.gif

I've also lost 10 pounds and look fabulous. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend at least trying this diet. Trust me I've literally tried everything including a liver flush (ewwww) medication, EVERY vitamin and herb, fish oil, bcp, spiro, and all those things mask what your body is trying to tell you and that is that you weren't really meant to eat grains/ not so many carbs.

Please, please try it! You will notice results very quickly! And honestly, if you were at the point I was you will try ANYTHING and stick to ANYTHING to be done with acne for ever. I couldn't be happier.

I will try to post pix when I get a new camera, but just to give you an idea I would get at least 2 bad cysts per month and several smaller zits, now I get maybe 2 small small zits per month and my hormones are balanced!

Good Luck Everyone!

Hmm this is a very interesting post.
It sounds like you are eating stuff similar to what I am eating but I may have some things in my diet that you don't. I will read up some more on the paleo diet and maybe try it since I have hormonal acne which started up after I got off birth control pills (about 24 years old). I used to get 3-5 bad cysts a month and several smaller ones. I am on Dan's regimen for 5 weeks and it's helping somewhat.
Dietary restrictions are too difficult for me to follow and every time I try to control acne through diet, I end up breaking it somehow. The only thing I have managed to get rid of is coffee. Cheese is too difficult to drop.

Does the paleo diet mainly avoid breads? I know there are several threads about this so I will look it up. Thanks for sharing your experience smile.gif

Morning Regimen:
Dan's Cleanser
Wait 2 minutes
Dan's BP
Wait 20+ minutes
Lac Hydrin 5 moisturizer + 100% jojoba oil
EltaMD 45 sunscreen (no oil- i got this from a dermatologist, expensive but worth it and lasts forever)

Nightly Regimen:
Dan's Cleanser
Wait 2 minutes
Dan's BP
Wait 20+ minutes
Dan's AHA + 100% jojoba oil + Lac Hydrin 5

Started Dan's Regimen January 1st, 2010. Used to get huge, often painful, nodular acne that lasted months, whiteheads, and some blackheads. Plus had scarring from old breakouts. 100% clear, scarring is less, and complexion is radiant :)

#3 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:17 PM

Congratulations. Please add your story to this thread listing members who've cleared their skin via diet, health and lifestyle.

http://www.acne.org/...ea-t172158.html
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#4 gMARIAs

gMARIAs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:16 PM

I eat a similar diet that has kept me clear for a month (that is, until I trialed Virastop)

I usually eat fruit or a green smoothie for breakfast and take most of my food, raw.

When I eat cooked stuff, it's usually steamed veggies, like broccoli and peppers, with lean meat, like fish or chicken. I don't eat any grains or cheese, including goat cheese (but that's mainly because I can't find it around here - I'd like to try it)

I took my last BCP on January 3rd. I'm still mildly worried about the side affects of quitting, but I'm hoping a good diet can balance my hormones back out and keep me clear. You said eating this way reduced your cramps? Because I just had my first real period since being off of the pill and I'd rather die before experiencing that pain ever again. Hopefully, with time, the cramps will lessen??
-If we could only live on good food like that...we wouldn't have the country full of rotten teeth and rotten guts.____Buck Mulligan, Ulysses

No sacrifice, No Victory - Sacrifice our resplendence, we fight for freedom___Hammerfall

Diet: Unprocessed meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts, water and coffee. No supplements.
Fitness: Exercise whenever the hell i want

Stop treating your personal experiences as universal facts. Please and thanks.

If you can't clear your skin through diet and overall health, you aren't doing it right.

Society's intellectual degeneration greatly disappoints me.
An atheist is a man with no invisible means of support.

#5 venam

venam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:24 PM

Have been on paleo for like 6 months. I had a really, really bad case of cystic acne. Although I am not clear yet, I am much better and I am sure that with some more time I'll get completely clear. I would also recommend this to anyone with acne, although I understand that it is hard to keep for some. In reality it is easy to get used to and is a growing community so there are many, many recipes out there to help you get started.

[Edit: just in case, I am male, this will help both genders.]

Edited by venam, 11 February 2010 - 01:25 PM.

#6 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:47 PM

So, the Paleo diet takes you off gluten and grains?

Bascially it is fresh meat, fresh veggies and fresh fruit?

What about seeds/nuts?
"It takes 20 minutes to turn a live steer into a hamburger. One-third of cattle are blinking, looking around and mooing as their tails are cut off, their hooves removed, their hides pulled off and their bellies ripped open. It is happening all over North America. Veterinarians feel its out of control but the government says there is nothing they can do about it." --The Washington Post's "They Die Piece By Piece" (April 11, 2001)

There are 13 major slaughterhouses in the US. All 13 are "self-policed" for animal abuse. Each worker cuts the throat of about 309 cattle per hour. --Humane Society of America

It is legal in North America for male chicks to be thrown into grinders while alive for dog food companies.

"Poor animals! How jealously they guard their pathetic bodies... that which to us is merely an evening's meal, but to them is life itself." — T. Casey Brennan

#7 venam

venam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (Dotty1 @ Feb 11 2010, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, the Paleo diet takes you off gluten and grains?

Bascially it is fresh meat, fresh veggies and fresh fruit?

What about seeds/nuts?

Nuts are allowed in a paleo diet, although some might be allergic to them, so be careful if that is your case.

Everyone has a different rendition, but read this if you want to learn more:

http://www.marksdail...al-eating-plan/
http://www.marksdail...imal-blueprint/

#8 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:33 PM

I'm on that diet right now, except without meat. I'm the caveman with poor hunting skills. wink.gif.
"It takes 20 minutes to turn a live steer into a hamburger. One-third of cattle are blinking, looking around and mooing as their tails are cut off, their hooves removed, their hides pulled off and their bellies ripped open. It is happening all over North America. Veterinarians feel its out of control but the government says there is nothing they can do about it." --The Washington Post's "They Die Piece By Piece" (April 11, 2001)

There are 13 major slaughterhouses in the US. All 13 are "self-policed" for animal abuse. Each worker cuts the throat of about 309 cattle per hour. --Humane Society of America

It is legal in North America for male chicks to be thrown into grinders while alive for dog food companies.

"Poor animals! How jealously they guard their pathetic bodies... that which to us is merely an evening's meal, but to them is life itself." — T. Casey Brennan

#9 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

How long did it take you to notice a difference with your skin on Paleo Diet?
And how long until you were completely clear?

Edited by Dotty1, 11 February 2010 - 03:50 PM.

#10 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:40 PM

I was on this diet but it made me way too skinny. I am skinny to begin with. I also suffer from low blood sugar, so I can't do it....

I am on spiro now.
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#11 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:54 PM

Can you eat avocados on the paleo diet? (nuts and avocados help keep your weight up)

#12 cotten

cotten

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

Hi Dotty,

Yes you can eat avocados! They are my favorite food. And I eat nuts all the time... they say peanuts may aggravate acne, but I haven't found this to be the case for me. I believe that it has to do more with keeping your blood sugar steady than any allergy.

I recently read that following the south beach diet helped women clear their skin as well, as it is based on a low glycemic index diet as well.

I was on a low carb diet for 2 months before I started Paleo and within literally 5 days I noticed a difference. After 2 weeks I haven't gotten another cyst - which is amazing because i had been struggling for 3 years previously even with sprio! Now, 5 months in, I would say my skin is almost perfect, with a small zit here and there.

Cotten

#13 tigermike

tigermike

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:43 PM

Congratulations cotten!

I too have been experimenting with a Paleo type diet since August 09.
It has dramatically helped my skin.

Unfortunately beer is not apart of this diet and that has been my only vice. cry.gif
Too much gluten and yeast. eusa_doh.gif

Time to start drinking whiskey instead or find some gluten-free beers. rolleyes.gif

Since AUG 09: Been experimenting with Paleo/Primal diet and absolutely loving it.
Probiotics have been huge as well.

#14 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

Perhaps you two have a gluten sensitivity? Or to yeast if you can't drink beer.

#15 venam

venam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (Dotty1 @ Feb 11 2010, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is not only 1 thing. Anyone who is trying to pin down 1 thing as his/her cause for acne is in a fool's mission.

Edited by venam, 11 February 2010 - 09:26 PM.

#16 dancedd

dancedd

Clear skin!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (venam @ Feb 11 2010, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Dotty1 @ Feb 11 2010, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is not only 1 thing. Anyone who is trying to pin down 1 thing as his/her cause for acne is in a fool's mission.

I agree with you. You can't simply eliminate X and get clear. You have to attack acne from multiple sources.

#17 Stallance

Stallance

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:07 PM

I concur. I've figured out that it's not just Candida, or dairy intolerance, or whatever, that gives you acne. Equally that acne will rarely just 'go away' in a few days or even weeks. My bad skin at least didn't just happen overnight, it was a period of about 9 months from when I thought "oh, my chin is looking a little inflamed" to "shit, look at my skin." The latter will be five years this march. I'll be damned if I have to live with it after that. That's my target for major improvement. I'm using little bits from around this site, but primarily with the thoughts of Bob Mckee and Seppo Puusa. Approach your life healthily, and clear skin will eventually follow. Hard to believe when you don't see immediate results, but I'm confident that things will change for the better.