1 reply to this topic

#1 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2004 - 10:27 AM

I'm trying to cut down on the amount of carbs I'm eating in a last-ditch attempt to cure myself of this horrible affliction. cry.gif

Does anybody know if bran flakes would count as something 'high carb'? I love eating them as a healthy snack, as a replacement for all the chocolate and crap I cut out of my diet ages ago, but don't know if they could still aggravate my acne if classed as high carb.

I know they're good for you, as reading the box here I can see it's got, listed under 'Vitamins and Minerals' in the ingredients: 'Vitamin D, Thiamin (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin, Vitamin B6 (of which I take supplements for my acne as well, so that must be good), Folic Acid, Panthothenic Acid and Iron'. So I know it's healthy to eat, but as a part of a low (well, *lower*) carb diet? - I don't know.

But it also says per 100g, there's 'Carbohydrate: 67.1g, of which 17.2g sugars', and I'm not sure if this is good or bad. Can anybody shed any light on this? I'm also concerned about the 17.2g sugar, is that a lot? I've tried cutting all sugar out of my diet as well (apart from the kind that is found in fruit, if that counts - can't quit eating fruit!!!)

I'm sick to death of what I eat now. I've stopped eating almost all the stuff I used to love because of acne - will I have to add this to the list?

All help appreciated.

#2 euro18

euro18

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:06 AM

hi - I know how you feel about cutting out foods - you can become so confused about what to eat or what not to eat, that it can be really depressing.

You are doing a very good thing in trying to cut down on carbs as:

refined carbs/sugar = more insulin = more hormones = more sebum (oil) = more bacteria = more acne

However, there are good carbs and bad carbs. Good carbs release sugar into your blood stream SLOWLY, thus not causing an insulin response and therefore not causing your hormones to go crazy. Examples of good carbs are:

Fruit (except watch out for watermelon, bannanas )
Nuts
Brown rice or basmati
SMALLl amounts of wholewheat pasta

Bad carbs are

ALL Cereals , yes even bran flakes - they are actually very bad
potatoes
bread etc

Basically, you need to follow a low-glycemic diet - type that into google and it'll explain more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users