Photo

Fingernail scars

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 jimhouse

jimhouse

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:29 AM

Has anyone got scars left from your fingernails when picking?
I was squeezing some blackheads on the side of my nose when I realised I cut my nose with my own fingernail! eusa_wall.gif
It didnt bleed and I can open and close the cut slightly the moment. I am worried it will scar forever. I have enough scars already but nose scars are the worst in my opinion.
What do you recommend I do to try help it heal?

#2 Mr President

Mr President

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (jimhouse @ Feb 9 2010, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone got scars left from your fingernails when picking?
I was squeezing some blackheads on the side of my nose when I realised I cut my nose with my own fingernail! eusa_wall.gif
It didnt bleed and I can open and close the cut slightly the moment. I am worried it will scar forever. I have enough scars already but nose scars are the worst in my opinion.
What do you recommend I do to try help it heal?

yeah ive done it a few times and are left with about 8 or so scars mostly on my right side. nothing massive, just yeah the fingernail indents are still there.

#3 ctbo

ctbo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:07 PM

I have 2 of these.funny thing is everyone says they cant seem them to good but for some reason i can say them bright as day. but there there and i hope they go away.

Edited by ctbo, 09 February 2010 - 05:09 PM.

#4 Mr President

Mr President

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (ctbo @ Feb 10 2010, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have 2 of these.funny thing is everyone says they cant seem them to good but for some reason i can say them bright as day. but there there and i hope they go away.

yeah i know what you mean. guess its a learning curve more than anything e.g. learning to pick to ensure you dont scar and lose collagen. picking in any case is bad, but i think when its absolutely necessary, i now have it sorted. when i saw that i had nail marks i thought wooah im really agressive with the picking. lol and it made me stop almost immediately. mine arent that deep, so im supposing yours arent either. because they arent deep they are easier to get rid off. smile.gif

Edited by cartwheeling_monkey, 09 February 2010 - 07:02 PM.

#5 AcnePwns

AcnePwns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:20 PM

I have never had a permanent scar due to picking. It should be temporary and will subside within 5-6 days at the most. Apply aloe vera or moisturizer to hasten recovery.

I suggest you stop picking your skin though.

Edited by AcnePwns, 09 February 2010 - 07:20 PM.

#6 Mr President

Mr President

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (AcnePwns @ Feb 10 2010, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have never had a permanent scar due to picking. It should be temporary and will subside within 5-6 days at the most. Apply aloe vera or moisturizer to hasten recovery.

everyones healing is different though. sounds like you've got dans skin. he never scarred either. some other people, like me scar heaps if theres any injury to the skin.

#7 Cecelia

Cecelia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

Put some antibacterial ointment on the open area. Cover it (if you can) with a bandaid when you're in bed. Keep doing it until it heals.

#8 rivercat

rivercat

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:38 PM

I seem to be left with lots of red marks, but I wouldn't say many "scars".

Though I do have ONE finger nail scar. It's like a line. I knew as soon as I picked the scab off of it, it would be there for good. Something about the scab was different, I just guess the cut wasn't healed enough. My heart dropped as soon as it peeled off. It's very smooth and tender, not deep at all, but I can definetly feel it and see it. It's a little redder than the rest of my skin on my cheek. It's RIGHT in the middle of my right cheek. I hate it, and I feel like it's gonna be there until I can hopefully one day afford surgery to fix my cheeks up. =/
When is enough finally enough?

#9 jimhouse

jimhouse

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:05 PM

I wish I could have just left my skin alone from the beginning! Anyway I will continue to apply emu oil day and night in hope of it healing by itself...
I recently stopped taking doxcycline tablets and have yet to really get any pimples back, instead it has left my face producing blackheads everywhere which has probably made me pick my skin more then ever. Its a shocking habit but I cant help it.

#10 AcnePwns

AcnePwns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE (cartwheeling_monkey @ Feb 9 2010, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

everyones healing is different though. sounds like you've got dans skin. he never scarred either. some other people, like me scar heaps if theres any injury to the skin.

Maybe I am not using enough pressure from my finger nails but I have never gotten finger nail scars from picking. I am really prone to scarring the last 1.5 years though. Even the small zits leave scars, but never my finger nails.

#11 jimhouse

jimhouse

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:42 AM

QUOTE (AcnePwns @ Feb 10 2010, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe I am not using enough pressure from my finger nails but I have never gotten finger nail scars from picking. I am really prone to scarring the last 1.5 years though. Even the small zits leave scars, but never my finger nails.

Consider yourself lucky, I have a few! I have 2 cuts from my nails in the last couple of days that could likely become scars but I will keep them moist and see if they heal. In the past I have let them go without putting any products on them and they havent healed well at all.

#12 AcnePwns

AcnePwns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (jimhouse @ Feb 9 2010, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (AcnePwns @ Feb 10 2010, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Consider yourself lucky, I have a few! I have 2 cuts from my nails in the last couple of days that could likely become scars but I will keep them moist and see if they heal. In the past I have let them go without putting any products on them and they havent healed well at all.

Like I said before, I suggest you don't pick. But if you do, make sure it is not immediately after you clip your nails. Your nails are the sharpest right after your clip them, unless you file them down.

#13 ctbo

ctbo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:39 PM

Thats where mine is on my cheek so I know how you feel it sucks.

#14 ctbo

ctbo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (Joey T @ Feb 9 2010, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I seem to be left with lots of red marks, but I wouldn't say many "scars".

Though I do have ONE finger nail scar. It's like a line. I knew as soon as I picked the scab off of it, it would be there for good. Something about the scab was different, I just guess the cut wasn't healed enough. My heart dropped as soon as it peeled off. It's very smooth and tender, not deep at all, but I can definetly feel it and see it. It's a little redder than the rest of my skin on my cheek. It's RIGHT in the middle of my right cheek. I hate it, and I feel like it's gonna be there until I can hopefully one day afford surgery to fix my cheeks up. =/

yeah mines like that to its a line on my cheek.strange thing is though after I picked it it took like a 3 week to show up.I hate it to.

#15 erin92

erin92

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:15 PM

I have a lot of red marks, but no real indents or scars. I picked a lot about a little over a month ago and it left me with these, but they aren't too bad and are eventually fading.

I did get a fingernail scar though in october. Funny thing is, I got it while messing around with my friend at volleyball and she accidently cut my cheek with her fingernail, it even bled a little. It eventually went away though after a couple of months

#16 ctbo

ctbo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (erin92 @ Feb 12 2010, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a lot of red marks, but no real indents or scars. I picked a lot about a little over a month ago and it left me with these, but they aren't too bad and are eventually fading.

I did get a fingernail scar though in october. Funny thing is, I got it while messing around with my friend at volleyball and she accidently cut my cheek with her fingernail, it even bled a little. It eventually went away though after a couple of months

I dont think that would be the same though.As you got cut with a finger nail by another person on your face there would not be as mush pressure.we put alot of pressue on our face with ours to pop a pimple.I hope your right though this finger nail mark on my face really sucks.I should of used more tissue under my fingers but didnt now im paying the price with this line on my face I hate it .I hope it goes away one day.

Edited by ctbo, 28 June 2011 - 11:25 PM.