Photo

Dairy-Acne Link

vitamin vitamins vitamin d dairy steroid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:26 AM

i never chose to investigate the dairy-acne link until now. i think ive been in denial all this time. my interest was sparked by this thread about someone who gets oily when eating cheese: http://www.acne.org/...showtopic=25978

i checked out a few websites and this is what i found:

Basically, almost all dermatologists agree that hormones are the driving force behind acne. Everybody pretty much agrees that the male hormone 5 alpha dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is the final molecule that turns on the oil making cells, even in women. The problem is that there are multiple sources of hormones that turn into DHT - some of them are accepted by almost all dermatologists and some are not, at least yet.
http://www.acnehelp.org.uk/dairy.htm

Other scientists, working in Wisconsin USA, Germany, and Scotland (Edinburgh and Glasgow) showed in the early 1970s that milk contains progesterone; that is a product of the cows' pregnancy; and that there are other hormones in the milk of pregnant cows, particularly in the butterfat fraction. Also, it was shown that the enzymes necessary to convert these hormones to DHT are present right in the oil glands themselves.
http://www.acnehelp.org.uk/dairy.htm

Testosterone (an androgen hormone) targets the skin and the sebaceous glands where sebum is produced.  It combines with the enzyme 5alpha-reductase to produce dihydrotestosterone, which stimulates the sebaceous glands to produce increased volumes of sebum.  Sebum is expelled out into the follicular tube.
http://www.skintacti...e_treatment.htm

[Are there steroid hormones in cow's milk? The Journal of
Endocrine Reviews in 1992 listed 59 hormones in every sip of
bovine milk (Volume 14, 6):

"Hormones found in cow's milk include: Estradiol, Estriol,
Progesterone, Testosterone, 17-Ketosteroids, Corticosterone,
Vitamin D, insulin-like growth factor, growth hormone,
prolactin, oxytocin..."

In September of 1999 (Volume 140;9), the Journal of
Endocrinology identified two milk hormones that accelerate
sebum production. These growth factors are IGF-I and GH.

The Journal of the American Dietetic Association published a
dairy industry-financed study (Volume 99, no. 10, October
1999) confirming the fact that serum IGF-I levels increase
in milk  drinkers.]
http://www.notmilk.com/andie.txt

increased sebum production is one of the major causes of acne. now i understand why milk chocolate may influence acne in some people. dark chocolate does not contain dairy so it might be ok, its certainly better than milk chocolate.

i wish i had learned all of this a long time ago. the scientific evidence is certainly out there. now i gotta investigate how to stay healthy without dairy. it just never ends.

#2 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:39 AM

So how come I quit dairy about two months ago and I keep getting so many breakouts?

Life isn't fair and I hate it.

#3 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:45 AM

Cynic - Dairy might not be the only trigger of your acne. You're doing the right thing by isolating foods and seeing their effects on your skin. Your acne may be a result of a variety of factors - many people have found that toxins in the colon and liver can aggravate acne, so you could look into doing colon cleanses and liver flushes, or, if this sounds too drastic, taking some herbs which can purify and cleanse the internal organs, such as:
Chinese bitters Here's the link
Indian Tejaswini Check out the acne section of this website - it's very informative.

Flipside - still lovin' that Rossignol board in your pic!!! biggrin.gif B) You should try some almond milk as a replacement for dairy milk - it is absolutely DELICIOUS!!! :mrgreen:
(although does not have as much calcium or protein)

#4 aaa

aaa

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:49 AM

Does anyone know if hormones are found in butter?

Since dairy products have 3 parts (carb (lactose), protein, and fat) I'm wondering how the amount of hormones is different when comparing milk, cheese, and butter...

My question really is... Do the hormones (or suspected acne causeing agents) in milk make it through the processing into butter?

It's not that I can't live without butter... but melted on veggies... I do enjoy it.

Another question is what about Whey?? It's highly processed and isolated protein... but does it contain hormones from the milk it was isolated from?

If anyone can find info on this stuff... please share.

#5 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2004 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE(aaa @ Jul 12 2004, 10:36 PM)
I'm wondering how the amount of hormones is different when comparing milk, cheese, and butter...

good question... i would also add yogurt and ice cream to the list.

i know there are non-dairy yogurts, cheeses, and ice cream but i dont know how good they taste. i assume that milk is highest in the hormones that influence sebum production, so eliminating milk is probably the best thing to do.

olive oil and avocado oil are great substitutes for butter. i hardly eat butter anymore, just cause its bad for your health in general.

rossignol, i'll definately try the almond milk. ive already tried soy milk and rice milk, and they tasted pretty good.

#6 Makaveli

Makaveli

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2004 - 01:59 PM

So does red meat have the same effect as well ?? (Since it's both from the cow)

#7 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

24 Hour Revenge Therapy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:46 PM

I don't know for sure, but I stopped eating red meat because I suspect it plays a role in irriating my acne as well as dairy.

#8 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:51 PM

What classes as red meat? Is it just beef?

Also - which meats are safe to eat?

smile.gif

#9 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2004 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE(cynic)
What classes as red meat? Is it just beef?

[Red meats include all parts of beef, the dark meat of chicken, and the dark-fleshed fish such as salmon. White meats include veal, the white meat of chicken, and the white-fleshed fish.] www.chilipaper.com

Also - which meats are safe to eat?

milk has high levels of hormones partly due to the cow getting pregnant, and also because growth hormones are added but not if you buy organic.

im not sure if beef will have the same sebum-producing hormones as milk. i dont eat much beef because its high in saturated fat and it doesnt even taste that good.

chicken is better than beef but whenever i eat chicken i think of all the chicken factories and get grossed out. factory chicken has added growth hormones and other junk so its best to buy organic.

fish is probably the best meat in terms of the types of fats, but now we even have to worry about toxic fish. some fish have high levels of mercury, which is toxic and can build up in your body. i believe wild salmon is supposed to have less mercury than farmed salmon.

theres so much crap to worry about nowadays its not even funny.

#10 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for the response.

What about turkey, etc? I guess that's classed as poultry = white meat, right?

Also, how about ham, bacon, etc?

#11 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:27 PM

all i gotta say about ham and bacon is that pigs are filthy animals that marinate in their own feces.

turkey is good... i like a good turkey sandwich but now i gotta worry about putting cheese on it.

#12 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:31 PM

But they taste so good...! biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif

Hmm yeah...I hear ya on the cheese thing. I used to have cheese on *everything*, even on its own, loads - big chunks of it just to nibble at! Yum. But no more...

#13 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

24 Hour Revenge Therapy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:45 PM

Let me tell you guys:

Turkey dogs, turkey burgers, and turkey bacon are some great, great things!

#14 hobo2alpha

hobo2alpha

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:19 PM

check out www.waisays.com for more info on milk and dairy information. it is damning evidence of the harm that milk can cause.

soy ain't that special either:

http://www.prostate9...soy_dangers.htm

http://www.13.waisays.com/cancer.htm

apparently soy contains hormones that your body doesn't need either. no surprise there....

#15 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 13 July 2004 - 12:18 AM

Hormones....I know for a fact that hormones in food isn't causing acne.

Sex hormones are NOT absorbed in the digestive system, there's a reason
why androgens are injected or applied in cream form on the skin. Hormones
do not survive in the GI tract.

#16 Chloe646

Chloe646

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 July 2004 - 12:53 AM

I'm afraid you're wrong on that one....a recent study came out showing men who concumed soy had altered testosterone levels>also, studies done on mammals from rats to monkeys showed that soy isoflavones altered sexual characteristics and behavior. If hormones got destroyed in the stomach the concept pf birth control pills and any hormone med taken by mouth would not exist. Birth control hormones contain estrogen, progesterone all sex hormones>putting it one the skin is simply another mode of delivery.

#17 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 13 July 2004 - 01:44 AM

Those hormones in BC pills are encased in pretty touch capsules so they only dissolve in the small intestine.

#18 Chloe646

Chloe646

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 July 2004 - 02:11 AM

No, they're not...they actually look like little sugar pills. also thyroid meds which are hormones also come in quickly dissolving pills...Bottom line, they end up in the bloodstream,