Photo

How To Shave ... With A Face Full Of Acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 MOWGLI

MOWGLI

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 12
About Me

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:48 PM

To All the men here ....shaving with acne on your face is a big problem ....and if you are hairy its gonna suck.Here are some of my tips which i learnt from my few years of experience of shaving. To shave your face without ,messing up your face. eusa_clap.gif

For me ,At first ... it was really easy because the acne was not all that bad .But when it got worse ,after i shaved my face it looked like a bloody mess and ofcourse it hurt too. Then i started doing the following things ,experimenting with different solutions to make shaving a less painful experience. eusa_pray.gif

>Shave on the day when you feel your skin has less than usual acne.

>ok,so before shaving trim your facial jungle(if u have a lot of hair) as much as you can using a trimmer or scissors.

>Rinse your face, apply the cream etc

>Now while shaving use a triple bladed razor (they are better), shave over the parts where there are no acne first or which are easy.

>when you get to the acne ridden part to shave ,do it very slowly and carefully(i keep the razor close to the pimple and slide it swiftly).

>The pimples will most likely pop but only the big ones, if you keep the razor close to the skin most of the acne wont pop.

>Lastly ..... if your skin is sensitive or if most of your acne popped ,then dont use aftershave ....
ITS GONNA STING LIKE PEPPER IN YOUR ASS . Instead use an aloevera based product for sensitve skin.

I myself use an aloevera face wash aftershaving.(though for some aloevera might not be right)

I hope this helps ... though little; this is my experience of shaving with acne .
please leave your comments and DONT USE PRODUCTS THAT DONT SUIT YOUR SKIN AFTER SHAVING .....if you try to be a man in the wrong places with may get razor burns,and guys share your tips and enlighten us with things we dont know about shaving with pimples on face. eusa_angel.gif

#2 .JacktheLad.

.JacktheLad.

sex drugs and sausage rolls

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:23 PM

true but explain why the 3 blade is better than 2.

cause many people find the 3 cuts too close which in turn cause ingrown hairs.

#3 MOWGLI

MOWGLI

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

I cant explain that man ..... but i have tried 2 bladed ... for me they make the acne pop very easily than 3 bladed

#4 Raimundo

Raimundo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

Nice article, but I don't think it really belongs in the cosmetic and style. There is forum for shaving-related topics, so a mod will most likely move this thread to that category (or not).

I'd like to add a couple more tips on shaving with acne/acne-prone skin. I'll try to explain in a step-by-step instruction, so it'll be more easier to understand.

- For starters, I like to shave after my shower, since my face is clean and my pores are still open from the heat of the shower. To me, that's the best time to shave. If that's not your way, then make sure your face is clean, and wash it a little warm water before starting (to help open your pores). But this is how I shave:

- Next, apply your shaving cream/gel/whatver (make sure hands are clean!) to your face/neck. Let the shaving lubricant (stuff you put on your face) sit for about a minute. Also make sure your using a decent lubricant. I'd recommend Aveeno Shave Gel, since it's noncomedogenic, which is a plus for acne/acne-prone skin.

- After the lubricant has set for about a minute, it's time to plan which region on your face/neck you want to shave first. I start with the sides of my face, then I do my neck region, and then I save my lip, mouth, and chin region for last.

- As for razor choice, the poster suggested a three-blade, but I'd rather stick with a single-blade disposeable razor. The single blade will be less harsh, but it won't achieve a close like the 3-blade. However, different razors work for different people, so whatever works for you. I'd just rather play it safe wink.gif

- Always shave WITH the grain, not againist it. "Grain" referrs to the direction of which your hair grows. Shaving with the grain is a more safer route than shaving againist, since it will create less of a chance of shaving bumps (clogged hair follicle). The shave itself won't be as close, but it will be a safer shave.

- Once you've planned your "attack" on how which regions to shave, then shave away! Use strokes in one direction with little pressure. Try not to shave the same area more than twice, since it can irritate your face more. If you get to a region or area of acne, use gentle strokes on these regions.

- If you happen to scratch open a pimple, immediently rinse your razor. Use a tissue, or toilet paper if your desperate, and cover the scratched pimple. You want to soak up as much blood/pus from the scratched pimple as you can, since this material can spread bacteria and in return, cause more acne. So this is why it's essential to rinse your blade out after a couple of strokes, since you it will help prevent yourself from spreading nasty bacteria.

- Styptic pencils are a nice investment to make. A styptic pencil can help stop the bleeding from shaving cuts/nick, so if you've accidently cut yourself shaving, these pencils are great to use in this situation. Plus they are very cheap. I think they are about a dollar, since I've seen some at Walmart in the shaving section (convient, no?).

- When shaving towards the mouth region (chin and upper lip), try moving your skin to get a better shave. When shaving your upper lip, fold your upper lip under your bottom lip. Do the same process for your chin as well, but try to get up (smile!)

- Once you've finished your shave, wash your face with cool water. You could also rinse with warm water, pat dry, and then rub an ice cube on your face. I like the ice cube way. However, it's your choice.

- Make sure after each shave, you properly clean/disinfect your razor. Rinse the razor at the end of your shave, shake/flick the razor in the sink, then splash a little Hydrogen Peroxide on the razor blade and allow it to air dry. Proper cleaning of your razor can help it last longer, and it saves money too.

- Last but not least, apply your moisturizer, preferably one with SPF. Like the poster mentioned, avoid using aftershave. Being sensitive-skinned myself, my face doesn't appreciate the use of aftershave. It's just to irritating for me to use. Just apply a moisturizer after your shave, and that's all. You've succesfully won your battle on shaving. smile.gif

Hope this helps! biggrin.gif
(And sorry for any grammar problems. I don't always catch my mistakes).

#5 MOWGLI

MOWGLI

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:56 PM

wow sir iam glad you are here .... i have a lot to learn from you biggrin.gif

#6 c'est la vigne

c'est la vigne

All aboard the nekobus!!!

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:05 PM

Moved to the Shaving board.

See also: Acne.org's Guide To Shaving

#7 prostik

prostik

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

I use a 2-blade, tried everything else except for a single blade. I always try to shave in the shower (bring in a mirror), my body is very tolerant to heat so I just crank up the heat and it really soften things up. But if I'm not in the shower first I wash my face with a lot of warm water, and I use dans BP as a shaving gel, its worked out fine for me (and I hypothesize that if I cut a pimple open the BP will get in there to take care of the problem XD) and I only shave against the grain on my mustache area, I don't break out my there but if I do I hate it, but I take the risk anyways. I also finish with a moisturizer. I really wanna try the oxy shave because I heard there is BP in it but I can't seem to find it anywhere :/.

#8 XC60

XC60

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:34 AM

Stick with a single blade, if wet shaving. If you use a multiple blade, you're only asking more more trouble! I recently bought Merkur 23C, along with Zirh Shave Cream, both a little pricey, but lasts a long time.

#9 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:50 AM

you know, i must ask, but do you people have inflamed acne, or the extremely minor acne?

I dont get how you can possible shave after you keep on cutting your pimples open with a razor blade. How the fuck does that NOT cause scarring?

#10 PimpleFree

PimpleFree

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:46 PM

In my opinion, if you have acne, it is better that you don't shave. Some guys, they look good when they never shave. Maybe I should say you just trim abit to make it nicer.

#11 dieacnedie!

dieacnedie!

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:16 PM

I find a 3 blade works better for me than a 1 or 2 blade razor. I started using the mach 3 and I only need to make one stroke to get a close shave most times. With single or double blades I'd have to go over a same area multiple times.

I used to use a gillete fusion (5 blades). Do not use this! lol. It is needlessly irritating and the blades are so close together that they get clogged literally every 10 seconds. The Mach 3 is much less irritating and doesn't clog up. Although, I find for shaving with acne, its nice to use the single blade on the back of a Gillette fusion. It is angled so its really precise. I use it to shave around big pimples that I don't want to risk cutting by shaving over them. Then I take scissors and trim down any hairs growing on/around the pimple. Like for smaller pimples I'll shave over them, trying to do it one stroke so I irritate things as little as possible. For the big pimples that look like they would bleed alot, I tend to trim around them to avoid a disaster.

When I have big pimples too I usually note where they are before I apply the shaving cream, so once I put on the cream Ill take off the cream on those pimples, so I can see them and remember not to shave over them.

I do have thick beard hair though, so maybe for someone with facial hair that grows in slowly a 1 or 2 blade would be fine.

#12 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (dieacnedie! @ Jul 17 2011, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find a 3 blade works better for me than a 1 or 2 blade razor. I started using the mach 3 and I only need to make one stroke to get a close shave most times. With single or double blades I'd have to go over a same area multiple times.

I used to use a gillete fusion (5 blades). Do not use this! lol. It is needlessly irritating and the blades are so close together that they get clogged literally every 10 seconds. The Mach 3 is much less irritating and doesn't clog up. Although, I find for shaving with acne, its nice to use the single blade on the back of a Gillette fusion. It is angled so its really precise. I use it to shave around big pimples that I don't want to risk cutting by shaving over them. Then I take scissors and trim down any hairs growing on/around the pimple. Like for smaller pimples I'll shave over them, trying to do it one stroke so I irritate things as little as possible. For the big pimples that look like they would bleed alot, I tend to trim around them to avoid a disaster.

When I have big pimples too I usually note where they are before I apply the shaving cream, so once I put on the cream Ill take off the cream on those pimples, so I can see them and remember not to shave over them.

I do have thick beard hair though, so maybe for someone with facial hair that grows in slowly a 1 or 2 blade would be fine.

have you ever accidently shaved of a big pimple?

#13 dieacnedie!

dieacnedie!

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:56 AM

Yes... it hurts like hell lol. IF its a pimple that wasn't meant to be popped a lot of blood will come out too, so if you need to go somewhere it sucks because you will have a big scab. Which is why I make a mental note of all my big pimples before I put on the shaving cream and forget where they are.