This topic is archived.
34 replies to this topic

#21 jobosadie

jobosadie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:18 PM

Has anyone tried using saw palmetto for hormonal acne? Apparentley, many women with hormonal acne have higher levels of testosterone. Saw palmetto reduces the conversion of testosterone to DHT (the more potent form). I haven't tried it myself, but I'm looking into it.

#22 Polska Laska

Polska Laska

*Be thankful for the little things in life*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (jobosadie @ Mar 21 2010, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone tried using saw palmetto for hormonal acne? Apparentley, many women with hormonal acne have higher levels of testosterone. Saw palmetto reduces the conversion of testosterone to DHT (the more potent form). I haven't tried it myself, but I'm looking into it.

Many women with hormonal acne have an imbalance of estrogen and progesterone... It's very commen for women to be estrogen dominant because so many day to day things (pollution, plastics, processed foods, additives, etc. etc.) mimick estrogen in our bodies. Before trying to diagnose whether or not you have higher or lower levels of certain hormones.. it's best to try and promote a hormonal balance..Vitex Agnus Castus (Chaseberry) can help with promoting the right levels of each hormone by indirectly stimulating the pituitary gland (That is why many women coming off of birth control use it... To kick start their body into producing its own hormones again). Also, eating a balanced diet rich in fruits and vegis (preferable organic) and exercising regularly can help to balance hormones. I wouldn't take saw pometto unless you had your hormones tested through a saliva sample by an MD or a naturopathic dr or nutritionist. That way, you don't treat something you don't have (even if it is with a natural herb).

Edited by Polska Laska, 21 March 2010 - 09:55 PM.

#23 cvd

cvd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:53 AM

I can totally relate to your dilemma. I'm alot older 58 and have been dealing with this since teens. I too have felt really guilty about calling in sick to work or cancelling an engagement. I hope you have better luck than I have. The only things that kind of keeps acne under control for me is using retin-a and spironolactone. I also took Bactrim for several years and recently weaned off of it. Also I'm extremely gentle with my skin. The hardest thing is not picking or squeezing the whiteheads! My rule is if the whitehead is raised and I can nick it with a sterilized pin and use the other end to very gently apply pressure then it's okay. But I get freaked out by any swelling or redness which happens regardless and that's what really flips me out. Makes me remember when the acne was worse and I then worry, WORRY, about it getting that bad again. This is particularly bad if I have upcoming engagements and then I worry about what my skin is going to look like. I'd love to change my frame of mind and have tried lots of things but if I'm obsessing then it's near impossible to get my thoughts off the state of my skin.

Status - 99.9% clear

Morning - Panoxyl 4 Cleanser (BP), Cleocin-T, DML Lotion, Physician's Formula SPF 30 Mineral Pressed Powder, Spiro 100 mg

Night - Cetaphil Antibacterial Bar, DML Lotion

Monthly - Professional microdermabrasion

Diet - Whole high nutrient unprocessed foods.  Avoid oils, dairy, sugars, bread, nuts, alcohol, caffeine, and fermented foods.

Supplements - Opti l-zinc, citrical + D3

Daily - Walk, breath deeply, meditate and do yoga daily, wear hats for sun protection 

#24 kazza

kazza

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:05 PM

Well my spots are no longer just on my chin/jawline they're on my cheeks too. And the red marks where they've been never seem to budge. I've had them for months! In my past experience, wot happens is that these red marks are just spots lurking beneath the surface and they come up again in exactly the same place. Pisses me right off!!

I started the natural progesterone cream a few days ago and also Chasteberry Plus ( Metagenics ) which contains Ashwaganda and Black Cohosh.

Still awaiting the gut results, hope to get them this week, just to rule out/establish candida overgrowth, leaky gut etc.

I'm currently washing with Hibiclens twice a day to try and keep things under control. I seem to be getting less coming up at the mo ( touch wood ), just wish the redness would go as , without makeup it looks like someone sprayed acid in my face, with me being so fair.

#25 27inLA

27inLA

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:54 PM

I only get acne on my chin and around my mouth. And it's mostly cystic acne which is impossible to cover, takes forever to resolve and heal and is usually super painful. There are times if it's bad enough and in certain places where it hurts to smile or talk and I physically can't open my mouth all the way to talk or eat because its so sensitive and hurts.

I had great skin in high school, THOUGHT i had bad skin in college, but mostly just tiny breakouts. Then I hit 24 and everything changed. I started to develop deep cystic acne on my chin. painful and also comes to a head and erupts with lots of gunk.

I have tried Differin and BP with no luck.

Now my dermatologist has me tackling it with oral antibiotics, taz, duac and a sulfur cleanser.

Also, I'm changing from generic to the brand name Seasonale and see if this works.

I've also uped my Omega 3 and 9 intake.

It's basically trial and error. unfortunately. everyone's skin will be helped by something different. you need to find a dermatologist who is committed to getting you clear and staying optimistic. My new doctor gave me so much of a self esteem boost by assuring me that he will get me clear, it may take 6 weeks or could take a year but he'll work to find something that helps my skin.
27 - FEMALE - LOS ANGELES, CA

STARTING NEW REGIMEN, DAY ONE: 4/28/2010

AM
CETAPHIL CLEANSER
SPOT TREAT WITH DUAC
MY DERMATOLOGIST'S ULTRA-LITE ANTIOXIDANT MOISTURIZER
TARGET BRAND UP & UP - ALL DAY COMPLETE UV MOISTURIZER W/ SPF 15 SENSITIVE SKIN (COMPARE TO OLAY COMPLETE)

PM
CETAPHIL CLEANSER W/ COTTON BALL
MY DERMATOLOGIST'S ULTRA-LITE ANTIOXIDANT MOISTURIZER
.05% TAZORAC

OTHER
MULTI-VITAMIN, ZINC, CALCIUM, IBUPROFEN, VEGAN DIET (MOSTLY RAW, STARTED 12 YEARS AGO NOT FOR SKIN REASONS), FLAX SEED OIL, OMEGA 3 AND 9, ORACEA (DOXY 40MG), SEASONALE

#26 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:16 AM

My jawline acne turned out to be an allergic reaction. Consider avoiding foods one by one (include all related foods as 1 of course) starting with the most commonly problematic foods like diary, wheat/gluten, peanuts, true nuts, soy, eggs, shellfish... The food that caused my severe cystic acne isn't in that list, btw. It's a common allergy, but not that common. So it could be anything.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#27 lilpea

lilpea

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:13 AM

I used to get this too. I started using avene diacneal and eleuage and after about a month it really made a difference. i still get an occasional one but not the deep cystic ones. Maybe worth a try?

#28 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (Polska Laska @ Mar 21 2010, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Before trying to diagnose whether or not you have higher or lower levels of certain hormones.. it's best to try and promote a hormonal balance..Vitex Agnus Castus (Chaseberry) can help with promoting the right levels of each hormone by indirectly stimulating the pituitary gland (That is why many women coming off of birth control use it... To kick start their body into producing its own hormones again). Also, eating a balanced diet rich in fruits and vegis (preferable organic) and exercising regularly can help to balance hormones. I wouldn't take saw pometto unless you had your hormones tested through a saliva sample by an MD or a naturopathic dr or nutritionist. That way, you don't treat something you don't have (even if it is with a natural herb).

I second this. Diet, exercise, sleep all affect how your body functions, mood and stress and therefore your hormones. What you want is a blood sugar stabilizing, anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense diet that avoids anything you have an intolerance for. And to maintain as natural as possible sleep/wake, bright light/darkness cycle, be active daily, manage stress... There's more info on all this in the Good Things link in my signature.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#29 elysiumsunrae

elysiumsunrae

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:11 PM

Hi Kaz,

I just turned 28 last week and suffer from exactly what you are going through, chin and jaw line white pimples and red marks. To make matters worse is that I have medium pigmented skin so the red acne scaring and permanent dark acne marks are terrible. To make matters even worse is that I have a bad picking problem. It's like in one hand you can walk around with nasty white heads all over or on the other pick it and have a nasty red mark. Dang can't win for losing. I am not sure of all the regiments you have tried to resolve your acne and I am still on my own journey as well. Nevertheless, I am curious to know if you have ever tried taking Accutane? Out of everything I have ever taken Accutane was the best. It is a beast of a med to have to put up with but the long term effects of it all was very much worth it. I want to go back on Accutane so bad but can't right now due to laser hair removal treatments. sad.gif

As of last night I have just begun using Retin-A. I woke up this morning without any new pimples and my face is literally glowing. Have you tried Retin-A? I am not sure about it so far, I have receive many mixed reviews. I am also trying Neutrogena Skin ID. It's alright I suppose. All I know is the embarassment of adult acne is horrible and I totally understand where you are coming from regarding the emotional/psychological implications of bad adult acne. I just want my clear face back again and people to stop staring at my acne marks. I actually had an incident where a grown ass man negatively commented on my acne loud enough for me to hear, ya needless to say that wasn't a good encounter and he learned to zip his lips (lol). I also know that I will never be on fricken BC every again. That mess is no good, totally jacked up all my hormones and everything. Hense the acne now and the necessity for hair removal treatments. Never again, they need better warning labels on that crap.

In the same boat,

Elysiumsunrae

QUOTE (kazza @ Feb 2 2010, 02:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well the last time I was on this site was several months ago and I was complaining of loadsa sml white bumps. OMG if I could have seen the future!!

Now I have inflamed acne and am literally waking up each morning to new whiteheads that I can squeeze or just red pimples. It won't stop coming up and it's often painful. So far I've been using concealer to, at least, disguise the redness but, this morning, after applying it, my skin looked obviously bumpy.

So I rang in with some BS excuse and I feel totally shitty as a result. With guilt and also that it has had to come to this. I am gonna make an app with GP later, hopefully, to do me a sick note for depression. I love my job and am otherwise a healthy person, but this is the final straw.

I saw a derm yesterday but it was the same old story, been there done that......
I'm female and 34yrs old next month. I should not be having to deal with this same shit that I had to when I was a teenager! None of us should! People don't realise the psychological damage it does and the distress it causes. It affects your quality of life in every way and stops you doing things the clear - skinned take for granted. I can't go to the gym as I'm scared the sweat will wash away the concealer, for example. Pathetic!

TBH, I have several different symptoms that all smack of a hormonal imbalance, oestrogen dominance, to be specific, so it's not just acne, tho that is the most upsetting and damaging, for me. I've been doing a lot of research online ( read Dr John Lee ) including the effects of low progesterone, and I tick a lot of the boxes. So yesterday I ordered some saliva hormone test kits ( oestrogen, progesterone and testosterone ) as, it seems, saliva tests are far more accurate than blood tests as they measure the "free" amounts of the hormones that are available to the body to use, as opposed to the hormones that are bound to protein in the blood and unavailable to the body.
If my progesterone comes back low, I'm gonna start taking natural progesterone cream. I'm sick of antibiotics that stop working and topicals that only work for as long as you're using them. This is how pharmaceuticals make their money! I'll bet my GP offers me antidepressants, they can shove it!

What's important is getting to the route cause, not treating the symptoms, which is all doctors know and care about. Nobody seems to wanna treat us holistically. Not once has a Dr asked about my lifestyle, stress levels, diet etc. A pill is a cure-all in their world cos their world is profit - driven.

I was on the pill for 16yrs on and off and it's screwed up my hormones. I was put on a high oestrogen pill as I complained that I'd lost my libido, and was advised this would help. If only I knew then what I know now. But we trust that doctor knows best and don't question their decision. I'll keep you up-dated with any developments but if anyone can relate or has had similar experiences with hormonal issues, it'd be great to hear how you got on.

thanks, kaz x

#30 wicky

wicky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:30 PM

I'm also a victim hormonal acne and am in tears as i read all of your posts as they hit to the core for me. I'm 42 and have suffererd my entire life with skin problems. i think about my skin every second of every day. I cant stop and it is consuming me. I'm literally laying in bed hiding under the covers. I'm currently taking spirolactone and i'm on my 20 day and still have a tremendous amt of clogged pores. That seems to be my major problem. I'm also sooo dry and flakey, red and irritated too. I had blood work recently and my vitamin d levels were low and i'm severly anemic. My hormone levels are what i'm trying to figure out. My dr. didnt seem concerned about them but my progesterone level was 0.4 ng/ml which i believe is low, my LH is 16.7 and if believe this is part of my thyroid levels and this seemed high to me. My estrogen is 41 pg/ml. I'm not sure what any of this means. Can anyone advise how to read this stuff. I also dont see a testosterone level which i think is weird. Also can u take vitex while currently taking spiro? Sometimes i feel i'm taking too many things as they might negate something. I currently take saw palmetto, vit D3, fish oil, flaxseed oil & evening primrose oil supplements, iron supplements and nicotinamide.

#31 elysiumsunrae

elysiumsunrae

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:23 PM

Hi wicky

Sorry to hear of you struggle. I am definately on a crusade to solving my acne troubles.

Regarding your journey in which you briefly explained below something stood out to me. You mentioned your doctor not listening to you. I am not a PHD but I do know if you aren't getting what you want for you doc, then honey it is time to find a new one. Your doc should be YOUR advocate and first line to health and happiness. Its like a partnership. That how it is with me and my doc. Furthermore, you need someone who can look outside of the box and provide insight to all you tests that you have done. There has to be something waiting to be pieced together.

I wish I could give more info on the questions you asked, but I really don't have the skill set to answer them. However, I will say this. Don't give up and always keep a smile on your face no matter what. smile.gif

QUOTE (wicky @ Apr 18 2010, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm also a victim hormonal acne and am in tears as i read all of your posts as they hit to the core for me. I'm 42 and have suffererd my entire life with skin problems. i think about my skin every second of every day. I cant stop and it is consuming me. I'm literally laying in bed hiding under the covers. I'm currently taking spirolactone and i'm on my 20 day and still have a tremendous amt of clogged pores. That seems to be my major problem. I'm also sooo dry and flakey, red and irritated too. I had blood work recently and my vitamin d levels were low and i'm severly anemic. My hormone levels are what i'm trying to figure out. My dr. didnt seem concerned about them but my progesterone level was 0.4 ng/ml which i believe is low, my LH is 16.7 and if believe this is part of my thyroid levels and this seemed high to me. My estrogen is 41 pg/ml. I'm not sure what any of this means. Can anyone advise how to read this stuff. I also dont see a testosterone level which i think is weird. Also can u take vitex while currently taking spiro? Sometimes i feel i'm taking too many things as they might negate something. I currently take saw palmetto, vit D3, fish oil, flaxseed oil & evening primrose oil supplements, iron supplements and nicotinamide.

#32 peewee26

peewee26

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:49 PM

my life also went downhill eversince i stopped taking diane 35. i dont know what 2 say but my acne is different.its like 2-3 pimples grouped into clusters.anyone have this before...it starts with one tiny pimple and over the next 2-3 days..it will grow in size and if you look at it closely.it is like 2-3 pimples being put together.its so weird!!! i dont even know how to describe it and it lasts for weeks and weeks. the only thing able to stop it is cortisone injection. but i moved here in UK and i dont know a GP who cn give it to me. does anybody here from UK know where i cn get cortisone injections? i am sooo desperate.

i am having this outbreak. been on diane 35 for 4 yrs without stopping and i stopped last december and i am still having this problem. i am contemplating on trying vitex. i am just sooo tired of this. by the way i am 27 years old. the hormonal imbalance s killing me! 3 months after.. i am losing most of my hair in the shower. has anyone experienced this?

#33 alx2

alx2

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:59 PM

I felt like the acne was just sliding off my face, down my ears and running down my neck, major jawline, behind the ears. Saw in Redbook this weekend about the seborrheic dermatitis, wash your hair with Tgel. I don't have flakes, but I am getting zits in my hairline like crazy, so I guess, whatever, I'll try Tgel. I, too, have taken Accutane, have a Tanda, have a Zeno, every possible "set" of acne products out there and I woke up the next morning after just shampooing with Tgel and letting it sit on my head for about two minutes with an 80 percent noticeable difference. No new bumps and inflammation down. Drying everything up. I have been searching online and some people wash their face with it, too. I don't think I'll do that for too long but I'm seeing such good results, scared to just use regualr face wash. I am 37, have had acne for years. Worse now than ever. Cover it up with makeup, et cetera. My teenage daughter has horrible bacne and she has been using Tgel the last few days, too, and no new pustules and her skin is smoothing back down from where she has picked and picked. Hard not to pick when you've got fresh mountains of white zits every few hours. I pray and pray this lasts, man, it would be nice to not try to have to hide my face so much.

Edited by alx2, 21 April 2010 - 08:06 PM.

#34 solisa

solisa

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:02 AM

Hi everyone,

I had terrible acne (no-social-life-acne) at 16 which stayed with me until I finally got prescribed Dianette, which eventually cleared the buggers up! Long after the acne was treated though, my face remained red and damaged, which I think was due to the seriously stingy topical treatments the docs had given me. Since Dianette I was prescribed another pill, Yasmin, which kept my skin clear but gave me too many side effects for me to continue with it.

Anyway, I stopped taking Yasmin this January as I would be away from my boyfriend for 5 months so didn't need the contraception, thinking my body needed a break. Thinking that I would have grown out of acne by now (I'm 21) I didn't give my then near perfect skin a fleeting thought... 2 months of no pill and I start getting a spot here and there (I wasn't complaining), but another 2 months down the line and my jaw and chin are completely acne ridden. When I look in the mirror, I see my 16-year-old self staring back at me!!! It's so bloody depressing, I'm becoming a hermit again! eusa_boohoo.gif

Well I managed to get my acne-ridden ass out of the house today-to see the doctor of course. She gave me 6 months prescription of Dianette and 'Duac' cream, it's basically a benzyl peroxide cream that I used when I was a teenager which helps dry out the spots but is also what I suspect gave me the beetroot face! I informed her of this but she just brushed me away and forced the prescription into my hand!! It enrages me that doctors these days just don't give a s***!!

Oh and another point I need to make is that the Dianette isn't really advised to be taken for more than 6 months due to DVT among other things - I've already been on it for 1 and a half years and now I have another 6 months!!!!! It really is infuriating and frustrating. Grrr! lol

I am, however, begrudgingly taking Dianette again but no way am i putting that toxic gunk on my face again. The worrying thing is with regard to Dianette is that after my 6 month course, what will I do then? Last time I was put on microgynin (cheap and cheerful pill-my docs words) my acne deteriorated and the only other pill that helps acne according to doc is Yasmin which I do not trust.

My hormones are all over the place and I don't see how being put on pill after pill is helping the situation.

Rant over. phew.

#35 girl11

girl11

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:24 AM

For hormonal acne, I've read it's possible that a Vitamin D deficiency can worsen acne too. Getting tested is the only way to know if your Vitamin D level is low. If it is, you can take around 2,000 IU of Vitamin D3. I haven't done it myself but have read great things about that helping with hormonal acne.