6 replies to this topic

#1 SadinChicago

SadinChicago

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:my Trans Am

Posted 11 July 2004 - 02:22 PM

For the past 8 months or so, I have tryed to cut all dairy from my diet. I have had good results. No dairy whatsover. Like 1 time a month I will slip and have a slice of pizza, or order something that has a little cheese on it and not realize it until after I see what I ordered, so I just end up eating it.. Well on Friday night I had a small slice of pizza with cheese on it..and yesterday I had some more . I had blue cheese on my steak at my godfathers house(thats how he makes his steaks) and I tryed some of the apetizer cheese he had becaue he said it tasted very good. Well, today when I woke I was shocked at how my face felt. I used to have real real oily skin, and I knew this feeling. The feeling of your entire face being covered in oil. I looked at the mirror right away, and I haven't had skin this oily in about 8 months. It looks as if I just dipped my face in oil. Now I know its not my imagination that dairy makes my skin oily, leading to acne.

I have posted about this in the past, but I dont think too many people belived this. I guess the only way to believe it is to try it yourself. I was cutting back on things to see what would help me. After I stopped dairy, I saw good results. Then I searched the internet about acne and dairy, and found LOTS of webpages with facts on why dairy caues acne. Now dont think that I am a vegy or one of those people that dont wnat to harm animals. I eat lots of meat, but I am just saying what I have found with my skin and dairy.

#2 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2004 - 03:02 PM

Hmm.

I used to love cheese so much, ate it all the time, with everything - and lots of it. Never used to drink milk or anything anyway.

I read the same things as you and completely (well, 99%) cut dairy out of my diet.

#3 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

24 Hour Revenge Therapy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2004 - 04:49 PM

I have eliminated all dairy. Right down to checking ingredients on everything. Margarine has dairy in it. Some chocolate does. It's in some chips and stuff. Dairy is everywhere. Luckily, there are vegan alternatives.

I, too, have seen good results with the no dairy move. I also don't eat red meat, which I think helps a lot, too. I'm still not 100% clear yet, but this diet change was a milestone for sure.
President Bush is a fucking rubber.

#4 cynic

cynic

without you i'm nothing

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2004 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE(24 Hour Revenge Therapy @ Jul 11 2004, 03:36 PM)
Margarine has dairy in it.

Erm, are you aware that 'dairy' isn't an ingredient itself (!), but more a type of food?

#5 flipside

flipside

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2004 - 06:06 PM

SadinChicago, thanks for posting this thread. i never chose to investigate the dairy-acne link until now. i think ive been in denial all this time.

i checked out a few websites and this is what i found:

Basically, almost all dermatologists agree that hormones are the driving force behind acne. Everybody pretty much agrees that the male hormone 5 alpha dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is the final molecule that turns on the oil making cells, even in women. The problem is that there are multiple sources of hormones that turn into DHT - some of them are accepted by almost all dermatologists and some are not, at least yet.
http://www.acnehelp.org.uk/dairy.htm

Other scientists, working in Wisconsin USA, Germany, and Scotland (Edinburgh and Glasgow) showed in the early 1970s that milk contains progesterone; that is a product of the cows' pregnancy; and that there are other hormones in the milk of pregnant cows, particularly in the butterfat fraction. Also, it was shown that the enzymes necessary to convert these hormones to DHT are present right in the oil glands themselves.
http://www.acnehelp.org.uk/dairy.htm

Testosterone (an androgen hormone) targets the skin and the sebaceous glands where sebum is produced.  It combines with the enzyme 5alpha-reductase to produce dihydrotestosterone, which stimulates the sebaceous glands to produce increased volumes of sebum.  Sebum is expelled out into the follicular tube.
http://www.skintacti...e_treatment.htm

increased sebum production is one of the major causes of acne. now i understand why milk chocolate may influence acne in some people. dark chocolate does not contain dairy so it might be ok, its certainly better than milk chocolate.

i wish i had learned all of this a long time ago. the scientific evidence is certainly out there. hopefully, there will be some more studies on this in the future. im sure the dairy industry will be devastated if a direct link is proven.

i guess ill eliminate dairy from my diet and see what happens. now i gotta investigate how to stay healthy without dairy. it just never ends.

#6 bart1986

bart1986

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:07 AM

Well i had quite bad acne, after a year of minocycline it was much less, but still i did have some little acne.. until i read a story on www.milksucks.com, i decided to get rid of everything that contains milk/cheese.. and after that my acne decreased to about 2 pickels a month.. so my opinion, GET RID OF THE DAMN CHEESE

#7 Geneva

Geneva

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2004 - 05:58 AM

I've suffered from mild to moderate acne since I was 16 (I'm 30 now) and tried all kinds of ways to get rid of it completely (Minocyline, Accutane, Diane35). Interestingly enough, I took huge doses of Accutane for 6 months and it had absolutely NO effect on me other than actually making my acne worse for the entire time I took the darn drug (still angry at the derm who prescribed this to me...accutane is NOT meant for people with mild/moderate cases of acne !!!). He must have had a personal interest in selling the drug, no doubt about it.
Anyway, since a few weeks I've decided to cut out dairy entirely from my diet (being Swiss it took a bit of adjusting...we eat a lot of cheese over here). I also try to eat less wheat (replacing that with other cereals such as millet or brown rice) and whenever I do eat wheat, I try to make sure it's whole wheat (grew accustomed to whole wheat pasta). I also eat lots of veggies and fruits and cut down on the amount of refined sugar.
The result is that I've been pretty much clear for the past 4 weeks or so!! I do get the occasional little blemish but they are ridiculously small and vanish within a couple days !!! Yay !! biggrin.gif
Now, I'm not saying that cutting put dairy is "The Cure" for everybody, I still believe that we all react differently to different treatments (like I'm sure that accutane may be the solution for a good number of people) but I'm very glad I tried that cause it actually works for me !!! I still have red marks from old acne but I'm now hoping that someday soon I will be completely clear and won't need to wear concealor anymore !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users